The Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Thread -

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
as a longtime fan of goemon this is extremely depressing. it really sucks to see hardcoregaming101 in on this too. I knew something had changed at hg101. they used to be the best retro gaming website around. then the website layout changed to be significantly shittier, then woke shit started creeping into the articles, and then articles themselves stopped being as interesting altogether.

Overcooked Raccoon

Mildly interesting.
kiwifarms.net
Actually disgusting. The SJW movement needs to fucking understand the dude is a translator, not a localizer.

The point of being a fucking translator is to communicate what they are saying and simply just that, a localizer is the one who worries about that impact and changes it around to fit better with those playing/watching.

Let alone the dude has stated he doesn't feel that way about the people in question, and is just doing his own personal interest job.

Not in the same field as translating, but there was a thing about a couple years ago when those Tom and Jerry cartoons with the character Mammy Two Shoes got re-released on Bluray as part of the golden age collection, and the moment you boot up the Bluray it gives a notice saying "These cartoons were a product of their time and contain material that we in our current age know is wrong and false. We do not condone this type of behavior/language and are only showing it in it's full for historical reference". The point being you keep that shit in because it had meaning during the time of it's creation, and taking it away is censorship and trying to erase history. It's like blowing out Birth of a Nations from our timeline, when we know it's wrong and look at it for the sake of history.
EPTCOf5W4AMVqWE.jpg

The dislcaimer used for current Looney Tunes compilations that contain the older racist ones, and I believe is also used for T&J since they're owned by WB now.

The fucking irony with the Tom and Jerry collection is volume 2 never came out, with most reasons stating people complained that the cartoons were racist and protested. Like no fucking shit, look at the fucking time period it was made in.

This whole situation is worse though, to take out someone who has been working hard to get games so obscure and niche, that's a huge disservice and is a blow to the communtiy. Fucking SJWs.

Last edited:

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Actually disgusting. The SJW movement needs to fucking understand the dude is a translator, not a localizer.

The point of being a fucking translator is to communicate what they are saying and simply just that, a localizer is the one who worries about that impact and changes it around to fit better with those playing/watching.
Not only is he a translator, he's doing it for free.

These people would rather people not have a game than have a game that has a naughty word in it. A big fucking shame.

Overcooked Raccoon

Mildly interesting.
kiwifarms.net

These people would rather people not have a game than have a game that has a naughty word in it. A big fucking shame.
There is something fucking baffling that they try and act all strong and calm for these people, yet the moment someone drops a line like it (not even personally meaning the line) and in a translation(with a non biased view) they start screaming like fucking spergs. Like who the hell is going to believe in you if you can't get even take the first step, and get over the fact it was used in that context long ago?

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net

Let alone the dude has stated he doesn't feel that way about the people in question, and is just doing his own personal interest job.

Not in the same field as translating, but there was a thing about a couple years ago when those Tom and Jerry cartoons with the character Mammy Two Shoes got re-released on Bluray as part of the golden age collection, and the moment you boot up the Bluray it gives a notice saying "These cartoons were a product of their time and contain material that we in our current age know is wrong and false. We do not condone this type of behavior/language and are only showing it in it's full for historical reference". The point being you keep that shit in because it had meaning during the time of it's creation, and taking it away is censorship and trying to erase history. It's like blowing out Birth of a Nations from our timeline, when we know it's wrong and look at it for the sake of history.
View attachment 1118169
The dislcaimer used for current Looney Tunes compilations that contain the older racist ones, and I believe is also used for T&J since they're owned by WB now.

The fucking irony with the Tom and Jerry collection is volume 2 never came out, with most reasons stating people complained that the cartoons were racist and protested. Like no fucking shit, look at the fucking time period it was made in.

This whole situation is worse though, to take out someone who has been working hard to get games so obscure and niche, that's a huge disservice and is a blow to the communtiy. Fucking SJWs.
There's a whole belief system out there that says, that you must always re-contextualize history for modern times. Like comparing illegal immigrants to slaves, despite neither being an apt comparison, but the comparison must be made because illegal immigrants are the lowest rung on the totem pole just like slaves which therefore means you have to solve the problem just like slavery and give them rights and citizenship. It requires you to have an extremely limited view of history and to basically treat everything at a grade school level. It stems from that end of history bullshit where people believe that all human events have already happened in some form and every solution has already been worked out to every societal problem.

Except if it involves conquest or colonization to help fix a country, that apparently has never worked and is a big no no that you can't think about.

Absolutego

Burning in the Melting Pot
kiwifarms.net

none of the people screeching care about whether or not the game gets translated, they saw an opportunity to bully some nerd for wrongthink and jumped on it. I doubt more than 1/3 of the people sending complaints could tell you what game series they're complaining about.

Xolanite

Made-up gemstone
kiwifarms.net
so now they censoring the gays in persona 5 in the royal edition because resetera almost doxed the senior director of atlus west.

i dont understand how a site full of pedophiles can hold so much power in the gaming press.
It’s the same site that hosts game leakers, correct?

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
so now they censoring the gays in persona 5 in the royal edition because resetera almost doxed the senior director of atlus west.

i dont understand how a site full of pedophiles can hold so much power in the gaming press.
Eh, normally I'd be like "fuck sjws" but it's one scene and I remember it being extremely awkward and unfunny in the original so meh."

They added an Onsen scene and the new girl is like 75% naked in her phantom outfit so it's not like Atlus is going sjw.

Last edited:

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure anyone really hates Persona 3/4/5, but Persona 1/2 and SMT 1/2/3/4 are very different game series so it's a bit confusing. It's even more confusing as Persona 1/2, Persona 3/4/5, and SMT are tonally very different. It's even more confusing as Persona 3 is considered a sequel to Persona 1/2 despite having an entirely different canon, which is then added to a bunch by the other games.

I really like Persona 3/4/5 in a vaccum, I just don't like where the series is going - because Persona 3/4/5 (+P3FES, P3P, P4G, P5R, PQ, PQ2, P4A, P4AU, P5St, P4DAN, P3DAN, P5DAN) is frankly just too many fucking games, and I'm probably missing some. The games are fine by themselves, but they aren't different enough from one another to a point where I hope P6 changes it up; but it won't, because Persona is basically printing money. Outside of the 15+ games/revisions there has been 4 full anime series, and 3+ movies released in theaters, other game crossovers, and even several stage plays. It feels like Persona is going to be the JRPG equivalent of Assassin's Creed.

To that same end, while Persona is being showered with games (and movies, manga, spinoffs)- SMT hasn't had much going for it in nearly a decade (SMT4 was 2013, SMT4A 2016, SMTSJ 2009) and SMT5 doesn't have a real release date. I'm not certain that the SMT fans hate Persona 3/4/5 so much as they feel alieniated by Atlus.
Persona 3 is not in an entirely different canon. It's been stated several times now that the series is in one canon, and 3 went off of EP's world reset. Mitsuru, for instance, states that the Kirijo group split off from the Nanjo group. Unless you're referring to the fact that the series is functionally split into 1/IS/EP and 3/4/5, which is true.

From what I remember, they didn't actually change much of anything in Catherine Full Body, despite the claims, but even if they don't do anything, why do they respond to this shit at all? It's ResetEra, tell them in nice but certain terms that they're not changing the original script, and if they don't like it there's tons of other JPRGs for them to play.

rotollo

Just some asshole
kiwifarms.net
They really don't, Resetera is like that mentally disabled kid you have to talk down from having an outburst, a VA said the same shit for catherine full body and it was barely touched up.
Hell, them having to dox someone to even get their way kinda speaks to their ineffectiveness.
and considering how dumb their ways to """Improve""" persona are I doubt they will get much
Eh, normally I'd be like "fuck sjws" but it's one scene and I remember it being extremely awkward and unfunny in the original so meh."
Yeah its kinda awkward but I can't imagine anyone getting offend over it either. Then again these are the same people who think the point of kanji's dungeon was to say "he's a repressed homosexual" instead of it being about his interests being viewed as such by society so I'm not expecting menza level IQ over on their part.

Last edited:

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
The virgin persoyna player with their literally who crossover featuring SAO
VS
The chad smt featuring bayonetta, dmc and now berserk from actually good series
View attachment 1148035
And for those who missed the Bayonetta collaboration, they're bringing the event back. Shin Megami Tensei has always been the patrician's choice.

rotollo

Just some asshole
kiwifarms.net
Shin Megami Tensei has always been the patrician's choice.
Whats the best way to get into MegaTen as a whole?
Tried getting into 4 a while ago but the fact that the 3DS' L and R buttons were the camera controls kinda killed it for me, heard nocturne is a good jumping on point as well as the SRPGS they put out (majin tensei and Devil survivor respectively). just don't want to wait for SMT5 to come out in 2050 to really sick my teeth into it

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
Whats the best way to get into MegaTen as a whole?
Tried getting into 4 a while ago but the fact that the 3DS' L and R buttons were the camera controls kinda killed it for me, heard nocturne is a good jumping on point as well as the SRPGS they put out (majin tensei and Devil survivor respectively). just don't want to wait for SMT5 to come out in 2050 to really sick my teeth into it
Nocturne is in my opinion the best entry as said in a previous post. The Hardtype hack makes it even better.

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
The stereotype of these particular gay men doesn’t bug me all that much. Yes it’s an old trope, but played for laughs it can still be quite funny. I don’t feel represented (I’m gay, but don’t identify with this overly flowery behavior) but I also don’t feel offended when I see this stereotype. See Bolson in Breath of the Wild for an example of this joke sticking the landing; he’s quirky and genuinely amusing.

That said, this scene does bug me on another level: Persona characters are what, high school age? And the two older men here are absolutely abusing a power dynamic to sexually assault the poor kid. Maybe I’m missing some larger context here, but it sure reads as a sketchy situation in isolation. Yikes!

I mean, as a quick though experiment, let’s replace Ryuji with a high-school age female, who is being hit on and subjected to the same forward attitudes by these older men. Your character can abandon her to presumably be assaulted by them. Doesn’t that whole premise just make you cringe? It’s unfortunate that this situation as written is the only homosexual representation in the game, but even without the homosexual element the whole sequence is in very poor taste. Atlas is right to recognize that whatever joke they were going for fell flat, and it’ll be interesting to see how they adjust it.

Tags
None