The Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Thread -

Starved Artist

Gib Monies
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I should have said "a very fuzzy canon adjustment" instead of an entirely new canon, but Persona 3 changes a lot of the fundamental rules of the series. Just from the top of my head.

- Adults are not able to use/control personas in Persona 3/4/5, despite Persona 1/2 having villians and party members using them without issue.
- "Normal" persona users are not able to change personas at will in Persona 3/4/5, despite the Persona 1/2 party being able to do so.
- "Special" persona users are able to use all personas, marking them with the "Fool" arcana - indiciating they've started a magical journey.
- Normal people are able to see (but not enter) the Velvet Room, which in Persona 1/2 are located in malls like regular stores. Persona 3/4/5 changes this to a magical space only very specific people can even see.
- The Velvet Rooms in Persona 1/2 have a wider variety of employees (pianist, singer, painter) and they aren't (possibly) powerful otherworldly beings unlike the P3/4/5 cast (Elizabeth and company).
- Persona 1/2 have a much closer tie to SMT via the enemies being classed as literal Demons (that can be negotiated with). Persona 3/4/5 they aren't "real" demons, but manifestations of peoples desires/conciousness/etc.

Even though it's one canon (and Persona 3 does reference characters from Persona 1 and 2) - the games are very different on nearly all levels; gameplay wise, huge changes to the narrative, changes to all of the themes and world building.

Persona 1 and 2 feel very much like SMT games, where as Persona 3 forward feel much more like their own thing (with a few homages along the way).
From the best of my memory, Persona 1 and 2 take place in a different timeline. And if everything said in SMT4 is canon, then all the timelines happened - but the difference in this situation is that under normal circumstances a timeline isn't overwritten. In P2, time was overwritten and in P5 reality was overwritten.
It would be sidesplitting if Persona 6 was a return to Rumor Power.

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net

So apparently this racist rapist called relaxalex was invited by Altus to preview P5 Royal
Apparently he was abusive to Bobdunga

I saw one of his videos. Super Mario Sunshine but he did come off as full of himself....idk

Yeah I know its Resetera

• Lunacy
Reactions: Bread Fetishist

rotollo

Just some asshole
kiwifarms.net

So apparently this racist rapist called relaxalex was invited by Altus to preview P5 Royal

I saw one of his videos. Super Mario Sunshine but he did come off as full of himself....idk

Yeah I know its Resetera
Considering he's a smashtuber the only thing he's abusing is everyone's nostrils
really though this kinda plays into what I said earlier, Fatlus wants to get these people off their backs with as little scraps as possible. they probably won't "disavow" Alax after the rim job he gave them with his video on the game.

The STRIIIIIIIIIIIKE at 3:48 better become something.
still find it kinda weird how I'm more hyped for Strikers additions compared to royal's, kickass tracks as well as being if the warriors games had an affair with DMC/bayonetta.

Mazinkaiser

kiwifarms.net
These new Scramble remixes are fucking tight, I really like 'em.

Any word on Persona 5 Arena yet? I feel like that'll be similar to P4AU and be the cherry on top of P5's jerking off legacy.

Agent Wet

Trash
kiwifarms.net

Yeah I know its Resetera
It best to take any rumor from resetera will a tiny grain of salt since most the evidence they have doesn't add to anything

It might have to do with this
Tweet
General reaction
D71uZGwXYAAAb4F.png

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor has come from some result of a vendictive girlfriend after a bad break up.

Any word on Persona 5 Arena yet? I feel like that'll be similar to P4AU and be the cherry on top of P5's jerking off legacy.
And then the cycle repeats again when Persona 6 rolls over.

Last edited:

Overcooked Raccoon

Mildly interesting.
kiwifarms.net
I’m kinda mad at myself for missing the window to get that special edition of Royal with the mask and all. Right as I was about to buy it, it went away.
Honestly stuff like that is the reason I put a preorder through Amazon or Gamestop (In store) the moment it pops even if i'm not sure. Better to have a chance of getting it then kicking yourself for not taking the chance. Gamestop is nice since you just put down $5-$10 to hold it and can always take the money back or switch to a different item if you don't want it when you come in.

I would recommend calling your closest Gamestop about 2-3 days before the release and seeing if they can put your name on a list if someone cancels a preorder/doesn't pick up within 48 hours. I'm not sure if Best Buy does the same trends but I know it's the norm for GS and they would want to get rid of those CE's ASAP since it results in a bunch of phone calls and people demanding the same shit because they assumed they could walk in and pick it up.

• Informative
Reactions: SteelPlatedHeart

Hans

"We're having a SALE!"
kiwifarms.net
Picked up smt 4 after not playing for a while and man is it fun. I forgot how good the soundtrack is too.

the autist of dojima

Me? Im already half shitpost
kiwifarms.net

Strikes is meh, unless you really love musou its not really anything new, just more flashy and withough p1 and 2 references as requested of fatlus
Shame about the pants on head exceptional story

Travis Touchdown Cumsock

What an absolute travesty.
kiwifarms.net
I'm looking forward big time to Persona 5 Royal, since I've been getting an itch to revisit P5 and this is the perfect opportunity to do so, with a remixed version of the game. Having new content will mitigate the bore factor of the story being predictable the second time through. A game this story-heavy, you can really only fully experience it once. A new angle on the story will be an appreciated breath of fresh air for another run through this joyous game.

Freya

i wanna go where the down boys go
kiwifarms.net
i tried getting into the first game on DS but walled by the second bael boss. the amount of grinding you had too do turned me off.
yes and the problem is all the environments were pretty boring. just a closed off city. the endings were all pretty dissappointing as well.

the SNES SMTs were so much better even though the design was more primitive back then

the autist of dojima

Me? Im already half shitpost
kiwifarms.net
I'm looking forward big time to Persona 5 Royal, since I've been getting an itch to revisit P5 and this is the perfect opportunity to do so, with a remixed version of the game. Having new content will mitigate the bore factor of the story being predictable the second time through. A game this story-heavy, you can really only fully experience it once. A new angle on the story will be an appreciated breath of fresh air for another run through this joyous game.
Oh boy, dont expect new worthwhile content until endgame and even then its just a wasted oportunity

i tried getting into the first game on DS but walled by the second bael boss. the amount of grinding you had too do turned me off.
You play DeSu 1 for the story and dabbing on betatron on the end
You play Desu 2 for the gameplay and autistic bunny

Last edited:

BrandedEagle

kiwifarms.net
I have played and finished:
-Persona 3: FES
-Persona 3: Portable
-Persona 4
-Persona 5
-Persona 4: Arena
-Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
-Shin Megami Tensei 4
-Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor: Overclocked
-Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Played but not finished
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Persona 1 PAL
-Persona 2: Innocent Sin

My favorite game out of the bunch has to be Devil Survivor: Overclocked. All the endings are interesting in their own way and the gameplay to me is fantastic, requiring a good mix of short-term and long-term strategy building. My least favorite of the bunch is frankly Persona 4: Arena. Story is boring and gameplay is meh. Ultimax is leagues better.

Favorite Demon: So many to choose from... but Lucifuge's design calls to me.

Alignment: Neutral. Anarchy is basically the dickish brother of Law. At least Law gives a fuck if you toe the line. Chaos is just as liable to stab you in the back regardless. Meanwhile, Neutral actually is quite the bro. Won't make promises he can't keep but he'll keep the promises he does make and he'll let you know if he likes or hates you up front so you know if you're wasting your time or not.

Chie Satonaka: Original. The new one puts spirit in it, but the original grew on me. Can't be replaced.

Reactions: Scarface1
Tags
None