World The Shocking Paper Predicting the End of Democracy - Human brains aren’t built for self-rule, says Shawn Rosenberg. That’s more evident than ever.

Is Shawn Rosenberg right? Or at least accurate?

• Yes. We should all return to authoritarian systems of government, like monarchy and oligarchy.

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • No. Rosenberg is just another fart-huffing pseudointellectual "academic"

Votes: 100 48.5%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others" - paraphrase of Churchill

Votes: 61 29.6%
  • Mostly accurate, some parts inaccurate

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Mostly inaccurate, some parts accurate

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Equal parts accurate and innacurate

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
The only problem is that democracy isn't about "governing yourself," but rather, governing other people (e.g. your neighbors, future neighbors, society as a whole, etc). No system of government is about "self-government" (other than anarchism). It's about managing the social contract between different people/groups.
What the body of research he is citing really boils down to is that people are tribal, irrational, and bad at governing each other in a mutually beneficial way. Elites tend to be bad at it too, but Rosenberg seems to dismiss that concern. The presupposition that almost always goes unchallenged in these arguments is that a high level of governance and social organization is beneficial or necessary. If large underlying social forces like the Internet or social media are corrupting government with "evil populism" and making it impossible for democracies to govern well, then why not simply govern less? "Bad leaders" in government aren't really that scary when they don't have much power.
The substance behind the paper is not really new or shocking, the startling part is the (((conclusions))) about ideal methods of governance (i.e. oligarchy) that the author reaches based on his evidence.
Theres nothing startling about it. These are the type of people who will never have kids but will do anything to influence yours, will swear they want to teach them to read while taking away phonics, will sell your country's jobs overseas and swear it secures prosperity and call themselves harbingers of truth but only ever lie. Such utopians as these are a scourge and they will do whatever they can to take your sex, take your vices, take away your ability to love and keep secrets. The last man can only be brought forth as a spirit from them and if they had their way humanity would be nothing but the most soulless of cogs.

Freedom Fries

kiwifarms.net
Liberalism (not in the sense of liberal v. conservative but in the sense of England v. Hungary or Israel) is not the same as democracy. This guy just seems mad that a lot of democracies around the world are telling his long march up and left to pack it up and turn around.

6 million wasn’t enough
Maybe it would have been, but I guess the several hundred thousand weren't

Rei is shit

kiwifarms.net
"Whereas democracy requires us to accept the fact that we have to share our country with people who think and look differently than we do "

Yeah, it must be those dang dirty racists. It couldn't be that religous and ethnic diversity undermines social cohesion. As in there is some upper limit on how 'diverse' a society can be until it starts to become a real problem. The tyranny of the minority just cant be true.

What a long and rambling pile of shit. People aren't turning away from 'the elites' because they're too stupid to be allowed a say in their own future. They're turning away from them because they're all a shower of lying bastards.
Elite overproduction is a very real issue and what we are seeing right now.

Freedom Fries

kiwifarms.net
"Whereas democracy requires us to accept the fact that we have to share our country with people who think and look differently than we do "

Yeah, it must be those dang dirty racists. It couldn't be that religous and ethnic diversity undermines social cohesion. As in there is some upper limit on how 'diverse' a society can be until it starts to become a real problem. The tyranny of the minority just cant be true.

Elite overproduction is a very real issue and what we are seeing right now.
Most interestingly democracy doesn't actually necessitate that you share your country with unlimited niggers or even people who think differently. You could argue one or both those are good things for liberty, but that really has nothing to do with the people electing their leaders or having plebiscites.

Wesley Willis

Rock over London, Burn down Chicago!
kiwifarms.net

Dr W

In the end, the living shall envy the dead.
kiwifarms.net
That wasn't in the last 50 years though. That started with Eisenhower, so his point still stands. Also before you or anyone says it NASA was established at the same time.

Would the military accidentally making the internet count though? Certainly it is within the timeline he specified.
Also, the last major, major breakthrough NASA had was... wait for it, 50 years ago!
As for the Internet, that wasn't made by overpaid nepotist appointed bigwigs, that was a natural consequence of infrastructure put in place. Perhaps I should have clarified, namely the "elite" are the oligarchs and plutocrats who pay off senators and actually decide policy.

Dr W

In the end, the living shall envy the dead.
kiwifarms.net
I mean yes this article is exceptional but in the end he's not wrong. Call it cliched but that whole "look at the average voter to see why democracy doesn't work" joke is funny because it's true. I'm not advocating for totalitarianism, just saying that perhaps popularity isn't the best factor for deciding who should rule the nation.
Good thing that the popular vote means nothing in the USA! If you're rich enough, your vote matters. If not, tough luck, fuckwad, get back to work.

The only problem is that democracy isn't about "governing yourself," but rather, governing other people (e.g. your neighbors, future neighbors, society as a whole, etc). No system of government is about "self-government" (other than anarchism). It's about managing the social contract between different people/groups.
FINALLY SOMEBODY WHO GETS IT.

I consider democracy to be morally equal to authoritarian systems because of that. Voting gives the voter some theoretical power over their life, but also over everybody else's lives. There's also the fact that there are more other voters than there are yourself, so really, it's basically a situation in which a person can be part of a mob to rule anybody else, but has no real control over their own situation. Add in that democracy only functions due to massive groups of people, and you have a case where the system relies on individuals believing in the power of their individual vote even when it doesn't matter.

Normalfags get pissy if you don't vote and say "if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain." Cunt, I have never heard of a Congressional or Presidential election decided by one voter. If everybody thought that way, it would change that outcome, but me feeling as I do doesn't. And yes, I do have the right to complain. I'm subjected to the government regardless of if I want it or not. I didn't ask for the fucking election. In fact, when you vote, you're basically consenting to the legitimacy of the vote, including if the candidate you dislike wins. Refusing to vote is the actual form of protest.

Democracy may or may not be a superior system. I definitely believe that anarchism is impossible to sustain, so I accept the existence of a government. I just resent the idea that democracy is inherently better. It's still people using force to tell other people how to live, whether it's a 150 million people or 1.

Vorhtbame

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who thinks America is a democracy is an idiot, whose political opinions no sane person should take seriously.

Also, it's rich that the party that has been behind the monopolization and destruction of education in America has suddenly decided we're all too ignorant to survive. It's like shooting someone and then insisting that gun control would have prevented this tragedy, and then further proceeding to sue the victim for inflicting PTSD on you because no reasonable person would stand in front of the barrel of a gun and now you had to witness someone getting shot.

Slap47

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
He ripped off Francis Fukuyama and sprinkled a little TDS onto it.

"not just ... the passing of a particular period of post-war history, but the end of history as such: that is, the end point of mankind's ideological evolution and the universalization of Western liberal democracy as the final form of human government".

Fukuyama then reversed his claim, which this professor cribbed from: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/09/03/francis-fukuyama-postpones-the-end-of-history
Fukuyama has TDS - he believes in a neoliberal utopia with no war and Trump's tariffs and American nationalism is harmingt hat idea.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
They shouldn't just blame right-wing intolerance on the impending end of democracy. What about the people on the left who want criminalize even discussing certain issues in society? That's far more authoritarian than passing laws restricting citizens of other countries being allowed to move to your country.

But democracy was mostly an illusion anyway. Go look at the history of political machines in the US which went on into the 60s before any serious checks on their power came up. Consider shit like that happened all over the world in alleged democracies and more or less still does in alleged democracies. Less overt political machines naturally still rule in the United States and every other democracy. Democracy was always the elites fighting other elites using manipulation of society (other elites like scholars, journalists, etc.) and culture (writers, actors, etc.) to their advantage. It's all a sham and its difficult to say it's democracy is any better than some sort of authoritarian rule or absolute monarchy.

Azovka

I coulda been a contender
kiwifarms.net
I genuinely thought it was going to be an interesting article challenging the assumption that our societal model is “too big to fail”, or bringing up the fact that modern democracies have been around only for 200 years (with interruptions), and that technically, the most stable form of government from an empirical perspective is the empire.

But nope, it’s just a uni liberal mad that people voted for Trump and expressed discomfort at the idea of “refugees” flooding in.

He literally implies that people are too stupid for democracy, since that requires them to “educate” themselves regularly. You know what that reminds me of? African countries where democracies failed for that exact reason.
And I think there’s a vast gulf between is and them, starting with compulsory education and ending with morals.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino