World The Shocking Paper Predicting the End of Democracy - Human brains aren’t built for self-rule, says Shawn Rosenberg. That’s more evident than ever.

Is Shawn Rosenberg right? Or at least accurate?

• Yes. We should all return to authoritarian systems of government, like monarchy and oligarchy.

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • No. Rosenberg is just another fart-huffing pseudointellectual "academic"

Votes: 100 48.5%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others" - paraphrase of Churchill

Votes: 61 29.6%
  • Mostly accurate, some parts inaccurate

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Mostly inaccurate, some parts accurate

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Equal parts accurate and innacurate

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

queue-anon

kiwifarms.net
I mean yes this article is exceptional but in the end he's not wrong. Call it cliched but that whole "look at the average voter to see why democracy doesn't work" joke is funny because it's true. I'm not advocating for totalitarianism, just saying that perhaps popularity isn't the best factor for deciding who should rule the nation.
People who genuinely respect the American experiment are almost universally considered nerds, but I might as well out myself as one of those nerds right now. The genius of the American system is that it's not a true democracy, and various checks and balances keep the rabble from destroying the country. Although, after 200+ years, it's all creaking under the weight of excessive bureaucracy and the exceptional assholes on both sides. The next few decades are going to be... interesting.

Slap47

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
People who genuinely respect the American experiment are almost universally considered nerds, but I might as well out myself as one of those nerds right now. The genius of the American system is that it's not a true democracy, and various checks and balances keep the rabble from destroying the country. Although, after 200+ years, it's all creaking under the weight of excessive bureaucracy and the exceptional assholes on both sides. The next few decades are going to be... interesting.
Of course, even the American system failed. The country was thrown into a chaotic civil war by a clique of aristocrats who threw a fit when they lost their veto power over the affairs of the entire country.

They key to any democracy is ensuring that every major interest group has their needs attended to. The big issue now is how much will this be done to the expense of interest groups that no longer matter.

Barnard

kiwifarms.net
Around here, smug elites often say that people aren't "mature enough" for democracy because they elected the wrong party. Good to know it's not just a local thing and they all think we're just too dumb to choose for ourselves. There's gonna be plenty of delightful salt, reeeing and autistic screeching from these people in the future.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
The elites, as Rosenberg defines them, are the people holding power at the top of the economic, political and intellectual pyramid who have “the motivation to support democratic culture and institutions and the power to do so effectively.” In their roles as senators, journalists, professors, judges and government administrators, to name a few, the elites have traditionally held sway over public discourse and U.S. institutions—and have in that role helped the populace understand the importance democratic values. But today that is changing. Thanks to social media and new technologies, anyone with access to the Internet can publish a blog and garner attention for their cause—even if it’s rooted in conspiracy and is based on a false claim, like the lie that Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring from the basement of a Washington D.C. pizza parlor, which ended in a shooting.
This shit right here is why nobody trusts or likes the elites. It's not because they think they know better than the rest of us, but that they think they know what's best for us, and there is a significant difference. The idea that they should dictate to me what's right and wrong rather than allow me to argue because dissecting what's told to me by yellow media apparently makes me stupid.

The focus of the United States should be making investments into our own infrastructure & economic issues. Municipal internet, public transport, R&D on hurricane-proof housing & a border wall are the things we should be focusing our resources on. Not providing shelter for foreign nationals who ruined their own country and funnel narcotics into ours. We are responsible for ourselves, to ourselves and only ourselves. No other country would ever give us the benefits of wet nursing the U.S. the way we do for others, in fact, they'd gloat about having always been better than us all along & leave us to rot while reciting all the things we've ever done wrong historically like we're uniquely terrible in the world at large, not because of the scope or scale of any atrocities we've ever committed but because of the prosperity we've historically enjoyed, as if success were in itself a fault.

Matthew216

kiwifarms.net
I thought about writing a huge article taking apart this piece of work, but I think I've boiled it down to the perfect response.

"If you're so smart, then how did these idiots surround you?"

EDIT:

From Liber Pater's post on Page 3:

"The only problem is that democracy isn't about "governing yourself," but rather, governing other people (e.g. your neighbors, future neighbors, society as a whole, etc). No system of government is about "self-government" (other than anarchism). It's about managing the social contract between different people/groups.
What the body of research he is citing really boils down to is that people are tribal, irrational, and bad at governing each other in a mutually beneficial way. Elites tend to be bad at it too, but Rosenberg seems to dismiss that concern. The presupposition that almost always goes unchallenged in these arguments is that a high level of governance and social organization is beneficial or necessary. If large underlying social forces like the Internet or social media are corrupting government with "evil populism" and making it impossible for democracies to govern well, then why not simply govern less? "Bad leaders" in government aren't really that scary when they don't have much power.
The substance behind the paper is not really new or shocking, the startling part is the (((conclusions))) about ideal methods of governance (i.e. oligarchy) that the author reaches based on his evidence."

This reminds me of a quote.

“A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.”

― P.J. O'Rourke, Parliament of Whores: A Lone Humorist Attempts to Explain the Entire U.S. Government

Last edited:

x.eight.six.systems

Peter Lalor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, the last major, major breakthrough NASA had was... wait for it, 50 years ago!
As for the Internet, that wasn't made by overpaid nepotist appointed bigwigs, that was a natural consequence of infrastructure put in place. Perhaps I should have clarified, namely the "elite" are the oligarchs and plutocrats who pay off senators and actually decide policy.
The TCP/IP didn't really come from DARPA, it from Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn while they were at UCLA to connect the 2 ARPANET nodes.

Dr W

In the end, the living shall envy the dead.
kiwifarms.net
This shit right here is why nobody trusts or likes the elites. It's not because they think they know better than the rest of us, but that they think they know what's best for us, and there is a significant difference. The idea that they should dictate to me what's right and wrong rather than allow me to argue because dissecting what's told to me by yellow media apparently makes me stupid.

The focus of the United States should be making investments into our own infrastructure & economic issues. Municipal internet, public transport, R&D on hurricane-proof housing & a border wall are the things we should be focusing our resources on. Not providing shelter for foreign nationals who ruined their own country and funnel narcotics into ours. We are responsible for ourselves, to ourselves and only ourselves. No other country would ever give us the benefits of wet nursing the U.S. the way we do for others, in fact, they'd gloat about having always been better than us all along & leave us to rot while reciting all the things we've ever done wrong historically like we're uniquely terrible in the world at large, not because of the scope or scale of any atrocities we've ever committed but because of the prosperity we've historically enjoyed, as if success were in itself a fault.
See, I agree with literally everything else, but that stupid wall idea is just a waste of time and money. I'd much rather push that money towards nuclear power, infrastructure repair, and telecommunications networks, since you'd get more value out of it both economically and politically than a wall would.

Barnard

kiwifarms.net
I feel that as they find their influence over people's hearts and minds challenged, they increasingly begin dreaming about a new revolution, complete with commissars beating the correct values into people's heads.

Spoonge

kiwifarms.net
"Voters disagreed with my political opinions so now I'm going to take all my toys and go home after forcing you fucking bigots into the deathcamps for wrongthink and heres why thats a good thing"

America is beautiful. You lucky bastards can go out there and scream about kikes and niggers and walk around with your guns not giving a fuck while the rest of us are stuck keeping our heads down. Theres a reason I dont post anything on any form of social media under my real name anymore. But you fucks CAN because of that piece of paper. The fact that Trump won is an amazing thing, an example that the US of A isnt as broken as the rest of the world and that the proles can still assfuck the party into submission given half a chance.

Democracy isn't going to end because of 'populists', sending Orange Man to the Oval Office, its going to end because Intellectuals like (((Rosenberg))) have decided that because it doesnt serve their interest anymore its got to go.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a gap between those two the size of a political party.
What is this even supposed to mean?

They're both Democrats.

Long was better because he came almost a century earlier, a century which has contained nothing but corruption, but Bernie isn't such a bad guy, for what he is. He genuinely does back the working class, even if the 'woke' crowd who run his Twitter care more about whether trannies are allowed to rape the kids of the working class in Target bathrooms than actual class issues.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nobody likes someone who is wealthier than they are telling them shit. Especially in America.

We've got bodies piling on top of bodies due to the opioid epidemic. We have male suicide rates the highest they've been since we started recording them. They're almost as high as they were during the height of the AIDS epidemic. And that is only by 0.1 percent, within the margin of error. We have less men graduating college and becoming poorer.

And all they hear from the 'elites' is climate change and refugees while they're staring at poverty and death. No shit they're going to pick someone speaking to them while they're staring down death and poverty and not someone who supports refugees that went through literally 30 livable countries to try and leech off the US.

Matthew216

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, Carlin was right.
About everything.
Not always. Take this bit he did once called “things you never hear” (I’ve bolder the part)

“Then there are some things you never hear. That makes sense, some things you never hear.

You never hear this: "Dad, you really ought to drink more." Here's something you don't hear too often: "Do what you want to the girl, but leave me alone!" Here is something no one has ever heard, ever. Ever. "As soon as I put this hot poker in my ass, I'm going to chop my dick off." You know why you never that? Right! No one ever said that!

Which to me is the more amazing thing: no one ever thought to say that before tonight. I'm the first person in the world to put those words together in that particular order. First guy. Number one. Here's something you don't hear too often. "Honey, let's sell the children, move to Zanzibar and begin taking opium rectally." "Mom, mom I got a big date tonight. Can I borrow a French tickler from you?"

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, Carlin was right.
About everything.
I remember when METOKUR was still alive, Habermann actually called Carlin a useless lump of flesh who used comedy as his speakerphone to vent his politics because all comedians were too gutless & useless to get involved in politics themselves. It was part of a segment of a gay list he composed of people and their purposes in the world. All that waxing poetic about uselessness coming from a jobless juggalo, I might add.
See, I agree with literally everything else, but that stupid wall idea is just a waste of time and money. I'd much rather push that money towards nuclear power, infrastructure repair, and telecommunications networks, since you'd get more value out of it both economically and politically than a wall would.
A wall would keep out at least most of the illegal immigrants who simply walk over the border to get to the states. Plus, if a group of illegals decide to destroy the wall to get through, you could consider that an open declaration of war. Then I could get my manifest destiny on and secure all that untapped oil & simultaneously purge North America of the biggest source of its narcotics problem.

Reactions: Vlinny Chan
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino