The Spice Must Flow! Villeneuve’s Dune -

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net
Only the Fremen are direct analogues. The Empire has some terms taken from Arabic sources, but is otherwise more of a Byzantine or feudal Europe analogue. Paul being referred to with the term "duke" in the trailer should have made that obvious, but here we are.
I always thought the fremen were meant to be the mujahedin, like rambo also references, but then I don't remember the time frame of the USA's interest in that, probibly just the soviet union.

The mothers are jews no? well jews in nun pants anyway

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
Only the Fremen are direct analogues. The Empire has some terms taken from Arabic sources, but is otherwise more of a Byzantine or feudal Europe analogue. Paul being referred to with the term "duke" in the trailer should have made that obvious, but here we are.
And the Fremen religion is mostly fake and invented by the Bene Gesserit to further their cause anyway.
The Empire's main religion is a manufactured mixture of every religion ever, and so is their culture. I think that was Frank Herbert's point here to begin with, it takes place some 20k+ years in the future and Earth is but a faded memory. Everything is so evolved and bastardized that there's no point in looking at it from our current year's perspective.

Dafuqisdis?

kiwifarms.net
And the Fremen religion is mostly fake and invented by the Bene Gesserit to further their cause anyway.
The Empire's main religion is a manufactured mixture of every religion ever, and so is their culture. I think that was Frank Herbert's point here to begin with, it takes place some 20k+ years in the future and Earth is but a faded memory. Everything is so evolved and bastardized that there's no point in looking at it from our current year's perspective.
Did the Bene Gesserit come up with Fremen worship of Shai-Hulud? I don't remember that. I thought those beliefs were an evolutionary outgrowth of Islam(the Zensunni wanderers).

The Bene Gesserit did plant prophecies of the outworlder that would arrive and become their Mahdi.

Meriasek

kiwifarms.net
Did the Bene Gesserit come up with Fremen worship of Shai-Hulud? I don't remember that. I thought those beliefs were an evolutionary outgrowth of Islam(the Zensunni wanderers).

The Bene Gesserit did plant prophecies of the outworlder that would arrive and become their Mahdi.
I guess the Shai-Hulud worship was their own thing, but large parts of the zensunni belief was based on Bene Gesserit as far as I remember.
I also like that already 10k years before Dune Islam and Buddhism were already combined to Budislam. I think the Bene Tleilax were also supposed to be Zensunni/Zensufi believers of sorts, with less focus on the sandworm.
I do like how enough time has passed to even allow for a big-ass schism between all the Budislam schools into Zensunni, Zenshiite and Zensufi, and Zensunni Catholicism among the others contributed to the Orange Catholic Bible. The evolution of religion is a fun part of Dune, and 100% SJW bait in the current year because these people just see the words and don't understand a thing.

дядя Боря

kiwifarms.net
I was using gypsies as a stand in for nomadic culture. I didn't specifically mean roma gypsies.

I believe I read it in a Dune apendix. Russia was the beginning of their genetic heritage. The word Sietch is derived from the Russian word Sech.
Old Slav "s eh tch" means to cut, or in this content it means to cut/clear out part of the forest to create camp which is somewhat of a permanent structure. The there were Ukrainian/cossak "setches" that served as perma camps for cossaks for decades. In this context the camp is more like a stronghold.

Tabr ... gypsies camp called "Tah-bor" but there is nothing permanent about it, it's literally wagons that stopped for a night or a week.

As to nomadness ... some gypsies have formed settlements and build houses, just as some have been rolling around.

Fremen ... sietches have some permanency, but the whole sand nomadic style is a mistery to me, both in Dune and IRL. Mongolian nomads have to move to keep horses fed on grasslands that could only support so many animals and need long time to recuperate, thus constant movement. Moving from one sand spot to another makes little sense to me, it seems like similar issue, sparce resources, if you exhaust what little you had locally, you move on to another spot, be it water or few animals found.

Bennegesserite Missionaire Protectiva (sp) were seeding origins of many superstitions and future "legends/prophecies" on many primitive worlds as a means to benefit them much later. Such was the case on Arrakis as Jessica recalls it and used it, just as it was designed to be used later by the order. These seeds were always planted on top of existing superstitions. The whole orders had many more women working hard on its objectives, although we see the top elite in the book.

I always thought the fremen were meant to be the mujahedin, like rambo also references, but then I don't remember the time frame of the USA's interest in that, probibly just the soviet union.

The mothers are jews no? well jews in nun pants anyway
Mujahadeen are gorilla fighters, typically to resist non-muslims. Fedayeen are elite kamikaze martyr fighters. How close Frank meant this to be to the real world, I don't know. It sounds like he borrowed a bunch of words/concepts and loosely put it into the books as a starting point, but for real meaning you had to look into the book, not *pedia on arab tribes.

• Informative
Reactions: GhostButt
Tags
None