TGWTG The Spoony One / Spoony / Noah Antwiler - Washed-up Video game / movie critic. Patreon scammer. Pussy-whipped SJW. A more insufferable DSP. Twitter addict. Has pissed everything away.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Me and a friend were discussing Mazes and Monsters (which we only became aware of through Spoony's review) and it occurred to me:

As much as Noah decries the movie for being an inaccurate portrayal of nerds as people with lots of problems that go off the deep end...he's done exactly that, maybe not murderously so but he definitely confirms some of concerned parents' worst fears about D&D players.
The funniest part is that as he's aged he's only become more angry about getting treated poorly in grade school for liking D&D, usually in the context of raging about Christianity. Maybe he feels like his fundie bullies got the better of him in the end.

I bet he doesn't even play DnD anymore, when was the last time he had more friends than April and Oreo to make a party with? All he has done since they moved is sit in his room on his stupid little phone.
The last time he played a tabletop RPG was around 2014 to my knowledge.

HomerSimpson

kiwifarms.net
Smart money is on troll:
View attachment 1172569
She really enjoys his latest streams? The ones where he just sits there like a bloated corpse? Yeah right.
People watch others eat in silence. People have watched streams of extremely simple tasks like counting. People have watched streams of empty fucking space.

That said, could be a troll, could be a genuine fan. Time will tell.

100% VIRGIN M00TY

The King Of Inceldom, Ultimate Trucel
kiwifarms.net
I know Spoony is always talking about his AD&D days but most D&D players are playing 5th or Pathfinder now and the game isn't really about quickly rolling up Barry the one armed 7 str fighter and running off to a dungeon to get killed by a rust monster anymore. You are likely to play a character for a long time and the encounters are usually balanced to be a challenge but favor the players, so playing a character with poor stats and being a dead weight to the team is not a good idea.

Also Spoony has a very old school mentality about class rarity. The players are playing the 1 in a 10 thousand (or thousand, whatever) character even from lvl1, it doesn't matter a Paladin is a rare class, the players are a rare type of person, a hero, and so if they all want to be paladins then so be it. This line of thinking dispersed after AD&D.

I understand the idea behind having flaws and having a character who isn't perfect gets you to be creative and role play more... but D&D isn't the best PnP RPG for that anymore, there are far better games for that.

Anyway, DON'T.TELL.ME.HOW.TO.PLAY Spoony.

Last edited:

kuniqsX

Fuckyour/Fuckyours/Fuckyourself
kiwifarms.net
To give credit Spoonster grew up in the age when tabletop was considered a hardcore theatrics thing, where being a good actor able to sell his shitty roll-in-order character matters more than being a good fighter stat-wise.

Nowadays older people play tabletop, the kind of people who enjoyed cRPGs and decided to go more hardcore and play real RPGs. These guys have jobs, families etc. and don't have the inexperienced determination of no-responsibilities teenagers to put up with all that roguelike shit in old D&D - they don't have all day for insta-death spider poison bullshit and such.

IMO it feels much more satisfying when it's hard to get a good stat-wise char and you finally get one, than to be given all the good stuff without much effort but I like roguelikes so I'm not 5ed target audience.

I heard 5ed actually goes back to the retro oldschool stuff of D&D but with modern mechanics (not 4ed MMO stupidity). I guess Spoon didn't bother to read the DMG before reviewing it...

Spoony bard? More like spoony reviewer.

100% VIRGIN M00TY

The King Of Inceldom, Ultimate Trucel
kiwifarms.net
It would also help if Spoony had someone to play with to get hands on experience with the new edition before giving his thoughts. Perhaps give LordKat a call? They could fight bees again?

The Alice in Wonderland module that was apparently Tandem bards last adventure is such a bullshit party wiper that I have no clue how spoony would of gotten through that one with his character alive. Perhaps he was too high level.

kuniqsX

Fuckyour/Fuckyours/Fuckyourself
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, LordKat, sure.

"What you do, is you get a shitty paper, a shitty pencil, make a shitty Wizard and work your ass off - like my cousin, who made a Barbarian in a LA basement. Roll a shitty d20 in order, work your ass off and maybe you'll be lucky to get somewhere!

*Spoony rolls a natural 1*

"Betraaayalll!!! Be-trayal! Betrayed me! This game SUUUCKS! It has nothing to do with DnD, nothing! *jump* Nothing!

Last edited:

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
It would also help if Spoony had someone to play with to get hands on experience with the new edition before giving his thoughts. Perhaps give LordKat a call? They could fight bees again?

The Alice in Wonderland module that was apparently Tandem bards last adventure is such a bullshit party wiper that I have no clue how spoony would of gotten through that one with his character alive. Perhaps he was too high level.
The funny thing about Dungeland that it was made as this ultimate TPK-convention type adventure, where you would have extra characters made. I actually did look trough book, an the funny part is the way he described it and what was in the book, def gave an impression the GM buffed up the encounters even more for the party.

• Agree
Reactions: 100% VIRGIN M00TY

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have no idea.
He's always professed love for AD&D since it was the system he used most in his youth but he also enjoys Pathfinder/3.5 a lot.

I imagine even he has better taste than to play 5E.
I'm currently following a 5E campaign played online with a really strong DM and it does a damn good job. The game's only as compelling as what the players are capable of, no matter the edition.

REGENDarySumanai

Not So Bad Once You Try It, Right?
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm currently following a 5E campaign played online with a really strong DM and it does a damn good job. The game's only as compelling as what the players are capable of, no matter the edition.
You are damn right about this. I played a homebrew 3.5 campaign as a druid and I had loads of fun being a spacefaring druid cowboy, but I'm dreadfully bored of playing as a dwarven war cleric because everyone in the party are dwarfs and it just gets tiresome. My next character idea is a Cormanthor Drow duskblade (who was cursed in womb by a Lolth priestess, and was originally going to be a wood elf) whose regular elven ideals clash with his drow body.

BR55

kiwifarms.net
The dog baby talk makes me want to decapitate myself with a chainsaw.

View attachment 1189159
View attachment 1189160
Spoony is going to be utterly devastated when Oreo dies.
If the months long mopefest about April leaving is anything to go by.
Also the fact that this is what he's doing when the foreclosure is about to happen confirms that he's just going to move in with Miles and has completely accepted that fact.