The Stand 2020 - Looks bad, man 😟 -

Fliddaroonie

I'm a spooky ghost! Whooooo!!! Ectoplasm!!!!
kiwifarms.net
They even race swapped frannies dead boyfriend. When shes getting an ultrasound she pulls out a photo of jess and hes black.

And basic plot shit like, nick is set on in a bar in the botched abortion tv remake, not jumped walking out of town. They also cast him as the kid of setback illegals. Heaven forfuckingbid we even keep people who have got white parents, right?

I quit on it. I dont have the self flagellatory tendencies to put myself through that shit right now.

Also they changed the developmentally delayed guy so hes a fucking autist.

For a show so woke I find it weird they've got a spouse beater who used the privilege of their sex to get off the hook.

Oh and whoopi goldbergs old person voice makes me wanna dig my ear drums out with a q tip.

Last edited:

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They even race swapped frannies dead boyfriend. When shes getting an ultrasound she pulls out a photo of jess and hes black.

And basic plot shit like, nick is set on in a bar in the botched abortion tv remake, not jumped walking out of town. They also cast him as the kid of setback illegals. Heaven forfuckingbid we even keep people who have got white parents, right?

I quit on it. I dont have the self flagellatory tendencies to put myself through that shit right now.

For a show so woke I find it weird they've got a spouse beater who used the privilege of their sex to get off the hook.

Oh and whoopi goldbergs old person voice makes me wanna dig my ear drums out with a q tip.
I know the meme about how everything is being made “woke” , but like....this sounds like they actually did try to make it as “woke” as possible.

ElAbominacion

😭😭😭😭😤😤
kiwifarms.net

Holy fuck is it bad. EVERY single white character has been wokified. Larry is Black, Frannie (((Goldsmith)))'s babydaddy is black. Harold the incel is the only white other than Stu Cuckman. Nick Andros they completely fucked it up. HIS NAME IS GREEK MOTHERFUCKER.

Roy Lee and Rubistein need to get hit with shovels to get some sense back.

Clown Baby

die in a volcano, bi--HI TRAVONDA!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know the meme about how everything is being made “woke” , but like....this sounds like they actually did try to make it as “woke” as possible.
I mean at this point if they didn't, the show would have been panned by leftists and labeled problematic out of the gate without them even watching it. White leftards need POC to be the majority of every piece of media they consume or else they ree. It's borderline fetishization from my perspective. "I enjoy this program more when there are more people of color," says 89% of white tumblr users.

That aside, I'm not that pissed about this remake as other people seem to be. I feel the same way about this as I did the It reboots. It's cool to get to see the gore that wasn't possible on a 90's primetime miniseries, even if the script has been woked and tweaked to be less like the book. I'm having fun with it. Can't wait to see the Trashcan Man.

Fliddaroonie

I'm a spooky ghost! Whooooo!!! Ectoplasm!!!!
kiwifarms.net
I mean at this point if they didn't, the show would have been panned by leftists and labeled problematic out of the gate without them even watching it. White leftards need POC to be the majority of every piece of media they consume or else they ree. It's borderline fetishization from my perspective. "I enjoy this program more when there are more people of color," says 89% of white tumblr users.

That aside, I'm not that pissed about this remake as other people seem to be. I feel the same way about this as I did the It reboots. It's cool to get to see the gore that wasn't possible on a 90's primetime miniseries, even if the script has been woked and tweaked to be less like the book. I'm having fun with it. Can't wait to see the Trashcan Man.
Trash will be white too. Because only whipipo baaaaadddde.

Honestly then, shows shouldn't be made. King doesn't need the money, for one thing.

The sjws and the tumblrtards are like retarded kids at this point and we need to stop pandering to them.

The show is awful and I cant understand why it was even made. Not only is it shit from being woke, the actors are horrendous and can't act. I genuinely can't understand it.

RomanesEuntDomus

Bunte Farben für Gratismut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What I'm wondering with these woke remakes: What will the attitude be 10, 20 years down the line.
Will this stuff be seen like super awkward over-the-top "RAD DUDE!" 90s shlock?

I wonder if people will look back at this and the pandering and just shrug and go "yeah, media from back then sucks". How will this stuff age? A lot of the political sperging ages like milk, once whatever they comment on is gone, the plot no longer makes any sense and what you're left with are atrocious characters doing weird shit for no discernable reason.

I really hope, people will look back and call the past 10 or so years the entertainment dark ages, held down by political commentary that no one asked for, that was phony and hypocritical to the bones.

Clown Baby

die in a volcano, bi--HI TRAVONDA!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly then, shows shouldn't be made.
You sound like one of them, just retarded in a different way.
romanes said:
I wonder if people will look back at this and the pandering and just shrug and go "yeah, media from back then sucks".
We'll look back at this period the same way we look back at the Burger King Kid's Club era 1990's. "Wow, that was blatant, pandering, and dumb." Most people seem to forget (or are too young to remember) that we went from super PC to "who raped all the dead babies" in the 2000's.

edit; to avoid double post

Last edited:

RomanesEuntDomus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a bit more frequent than that what with The Fly remake, John Carpenter's The Thing and The Blob remake but yeh remakes being good is almost never a thing
Whenever I watch a remake, the first question that it has to answer for me is: "Does this remake have any reason to exist?"
When the remake offers different perspectives, some neat new ideas, improves on the original, that is surely the case... but stuff like the new RoboCop (bet you didn't even remember it existed until I mentioned it just now) just offers nothing. Worst of all, the remake will almost always miss the point of the original and maybe that goes hand in hand.

Dude watches movie, misses the point, makes a new version focused on what that dude thought the point was, new version as a whole is just gargabe as a result.

Mariposa Electrique

In 2021, Shit will hit the fan 4 Chris
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Leftists are going after Ezra Miller because he didn't portray trashcan man as Temple Grandin. The character was literally written to have severe brain damage, who masturbates to fire. That's what I read Ezra's character as.
“The Vigil,” the sixth episode of CBS All Access’ The Stand, introduces Donald Elbert, who becomes a key player in Randall Flagg’s plot against the world. Donald is known to fans of Stephen King’s apocalyptic opus by his more catchy nickname: Trashcan Man.

Trash has everything Randall Flagg, the Big Bad of the story, is looking for in a servant. He’s loyal, he’s destructive, and he’s really good at finding what remains of the US Army’s arsenal scattered around the Mojave Desert. As King illustrates in the text, he also deals with persistent mental illness stemming from a lifetime of pain and trauma. That’s where things get a little tricky for writer-director Josh Boone and showrunner Benjamin Cavell when it comes to adapting the character for screen.

[Ed. note: This story contains minor spoilers for “The Vigil” and previous episodes of The Stand.]

Ezra Miller (Justice League, Fantastic Beasts) had a hell of a job in front of them when they agreed to play Trashcan Man. In the novel, King dedicates pages and pages to the character’s complex backstory, detouring the plot through a scenic route of his mental state. Readers learn that, as an eight-year-old, he started lighting his neighbor’s trash cans on fire (hence the nickname). Later, the elder Elbert killed Donald’s siblings and nearly finished off the whole family before the local cops intervened. The cop who shot his deranged father became the troubled boy’s stepfather, and the knowledge impacted him at a core level. King devotes multiple pages to Donald’s time at a mental hospital as a young teenager, where he was forced to endure shock treatment, the opposite of the help he needed.

A limited series doesn’t have the same real estate as a 1,000-page book, so there were always going to be a few shortcuts when it came to an adaptation. But when dealing with a character with mental health issues, the wrong shortcut can cross over the razor-thin line between thoughtful representation and caricature.

To that end, Miller takes a big swing with the 2020 version of Trashcan Man — but they whiffed it. Having watched the episode twice now, I can say the performance has to shoulder the majority of blame. What sends the character into over-the-line territory isn’t how he’s written, it’s all in Miller’s line delivery and physicality.
LINK

JohnDoe

When its June I swim and spoon!
kiwifarms.net
What an asshole review. After looking at the script, direction, and all other absolute shit aspects of this production I put essentially zero blame on the actors for giving us shit. Laurence Olivier couldn't rescue this trash fire of a series.

Really the only thing I can fault the actors for is signing the contract for this show, and even so...actors have to eat.

garakfan69

Conjuring up money from lazy hoes
kiwifarms.net
I thought I could tolerate the wokeism but episode 4 was the last straw for me when the girl tries to kill the retard for no reason (saying 'tard' and murder are basically the same right?)

Even though the show takes itself pretty seriously, anyone who does anything sexist/racist/ableist is a really jarring ridiculous caricature.

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
I thought I could tolerate the wokeism but episode 4 was the last straw for me when the girl tries to kill the retard for no reason (saying 'tard' and murder are basically the same right?)

Even though the show takes itself pretty seriously, anyone who does anything sexist/racist/ableist is a really jarring ridiculous caricature.
To be fair, I think that is how Stephen King has written one-dimensional antagonists.

frozenrunner

Pride month is gay as fuck.
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, I think that is how Stephen King has written one-dimensional antagonists.
Yep. I love a lot of King's work, but he's stuck in the past (and especially the 60s) mentally. Gays are all in danger of being beaten to death for Who They Love ™. Blacks are all stoic, respectable, MLK-like victims. The country is filled with unhinged, puritanical, Evangelical Christian bigots who are the real danger in society, etc. The man cannot see the world as it is, only as it was.

All of his weird characters make sense if you realize this.

garakfan69

Conjuring up money from lazy hoes
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I haven't read the book or watched the old adaption so I can't just judge what's King's fault or the writers of the show.
But I doubt cringy shit like "You need to be an alpha like me, you beta snowflake" comes from the book.

RomanesEuntDomus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I haven't read the book or watched the old adaption so I can't just judge what's King's fault or the writers of the show.
But I doubt cringy shit like "You need to be an alpha like me, you beta snowflake" comes from the book.
Sooo... how long will my face stay frozen in a grimace of ultimate cringe?

Anyway, I've never read a book by King, watched some of his movies, and there's always an abundance of anachronistic, comically overblown bullies. Like greaser racists... a lot of the time, there's crazy redneck stereotypes, too. The Stand had these violent rednecks that attack Nick Andros on the street for no apparent reason other than him being deaf mute or something.
Maybe the books do a better job at portraying these people and I don't want to fault King for having a favorite template, but in times like these, it very quickly becomes unbearable in newer versions, when the already overblown stereotypes are cranked up to 11 to meet a certain Zeitgeist.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cinema Snob did a full review.
EDIT: Okay, I never watched the remake, but holy shit, are the characters just the most extreme stereotypes ever. Did you get that Harold is going to be a bad guy? This thing is making the original like way more subtle

Last edited:

PeriodicTrouble

kiwifarms.net
Cinema Snob did a full review.
EDIT: Okay, I never watched the remake, but holy shit, are the characters just the most extreme stereotypes ever. Did you get that Harold is going to be a bad guy? This thing is making the original like way more subtle
Not Surprised that he did a review of the remake. His review of the original The Stand mini series was the most watched Cinema Snob Episode last year.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Yep. I love a lot of King's work, but he's stuck in the past (and especially the 60s) mentally. Gays are all in danger of being beaten to death for Who They Love ™. Blacks are all stoic, respectable, MLK-like victims. The country is filled with unhinged, puritanical, Evangelical Christian bigots who are the real danger in society, etc. The man cannot see the world as it is, only as it was.

All of his weird characters make sense if you realize this.

Not even that. He can only see the world as it was in one little slice of it, at one fairly small window of time. Most of the country was never really like that.

Anyway, I've never read a book by King, watched some of his movies, and there's always an abundance of anachronistic, comically overblown bullies. Like greaser racists... a lot of the time, there's crazy redneck stereotypes, too. The Stand had these violent rednecks that attack Nick Andros on the street for no apparent reason other than him being deaf mute or something.
Maybe the books do a better job at portraying these people and I don't want to fault King for having a favorite template, but in times like these, it very quickly becomes unbearable in newer versions, when the already overblown stereotypes are cranked up to 11 to meet a certain Zeitgeist.

It's so damned true. Even the works of his I like, I like them despite what he does, not because of them. Really King is just not that good of an author, he just sometimes has interesting ideas.

The Mist
? I still maintain it's a fantastic movie... despite the fucking stupid Christian lady turning everyone into maniacs. And the series remake never happened. Because that would be stupid.