The Super Best Friends Super Best Thread - Matt's a cuck, Liam is a bitch, Pat's nuts and Woolie is a piss poor marketer

brainlent

kiwifarms.net
To migrate back to topic... I think after the collapse of SBF and now CSB I've had a change in mentality about the kind of content I'm willing to watch.
You need to be... sustainable. And not just funny. I don't think I want to commit to watching any content creator long term who doesn't have a full time job.
That guy from Easy Allies quit and his explanation was a pretty good example of why:
Screenshot_20200315-224612.jpg
Tired of watching 30 year dudes throw their best years away. Content creation should be a stepping stone towards a real job. Not a career. Otherwise the humor wears out fast. ... This is gonna be cringey but if I felt this way before I would've felt to Woolie like Alfred in Rises:

Remember when you left Best Friends Play? Before all this, before Twitch? You were gone two months. Two months I waited, hoping that you wouldn't come back. I took a holiday. I had this fantasy that I would look across the tables and I'd see you there, with punchmom and maybe a couple of kids. You wouldn't say anything to me, nor me to you. But we'd both know that you'd made it, that you were happy. I never wanted you to come back to YouTube. I always knew there was nothing here for you, except pain and tragedy. And I wanted something more for you than that. I still do.
and meanwhile pat was beyond saving as soon as he posted that one mercenary kings video and demonstrated he was completely reliant on Matt to edit their videos good.

A.Shitposter

Gossiping Hen
kiwifarms.net
The difference between Oney and the Boys is that Oney is an animator who got a lot of connections early through newgrounds, is about to have a game published and only does LP's as a side thing for extra pennies. The guys made playing video games their jobs.

Also I admit that I'm warming up to Reggie, Mihn is only really good when there's salt happening but I don't loathe him or anything.

I love Vinny Vinesauce streams and he's nearly 40, but he also produces music.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Okay, okay got off topic with Oney. I do however have a question when it comes to Matt and his idea of getting his foot into the game dev scene. Does the guy have any chances? Like, the 1st game he was behind was a very... "meh" type beat 'em up. It def didn't one-up something like Mother Russia Bleeds that's for sure.

Anchors-Away

kiwifarms.net
I do however have a question when it comes to Matt and his idea of getting his foot into the game dev scene. Does the guy have any chances? Like, the 1st game he was behind was a very... "meh" type beat 'em up. It def didn't one-up something like Mother Russia Bleeds that's for sure.
As long as he maintains some sort of working relationship with ScreenWave Media, he'll always have some sort of footing within the industry. Beyond being a YouTube monopoly, they've begun publishing indie games. Marketing wise they are pretty bad, but not as awful as Rooster Teeth Games. They definitively depend heavily on using "con experiences" and inferencer promotion over more conventional means.

Additionally Matt has connections at Yacht Club Games, Devolver, Limited Run, WayFoward and a few other woke studios. Technically the Grumps too... He's done a lot in terms of outreach for indie gaming as part of SBFP, something most of these indie studios wish they could achieve.

If he wanted to flex his status and earn some good will in the Canadian indie-space (and I hope somehow this information gets to Matt) then he should host and film some GameJams for his channel. Much like JonTron did with Oney a while ago. I know GMTK has done a few too. Fairly straight forward and digestible videos that help distinguish him further from Woolie/Pat.

It would be using his platform to promote smaller creations, whilst demonstrating his skill set. Indirectly it would be a way for him to network within the Canadian scene too.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: 1_and_done

1wngdngl

kiwifarms.net
Rooster Teeth have been pulling some rather poor business moves recently. But it made Liam salty so who cares
1584354456557.png

I love Vinny Vinesauce streams and he's nearly 40, but he also produces music.
I love Vinny, only started regularly watching him recently after the DEE EM CEE TOO video

BIN PUHLEESE

Also, off my chest - fuck Pat and Woolie for being cowards and not playing through DMC2. I love the good old mysery LPs

Last edited:

1wngdngl

kiwifarms.net
I don't want to see Pat go back to retail hell, but at the same time even if I could I would not give him Twitch bucks for his content shitposts. I'd rather support ppl who put more effort in their stuff rather than none at all and/or at least find more entertaining.

fucking hell, if Peach streamed more regularly I'd sub to her channel, but not Pat's

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
As much shit as we give Matt he was the one dude out of the four of them to actually form connections with people in the industry.
I always thought that Matt took it way too far, though. He spent a long time fellating the Game Grumps for two mediocre crossover episodes to a point where Arin could barely remember who they were. I can't think of a single instance where they had a guest on the show that actually improved the show.

It always felt very forced and unauthentic coming from Matt.

To migrate back to topic... I think after the collapse of SBF and now CSB I've had a change in mentality about the kind of content I'm willing to watch.
You need to be... sustainable. And not just funny.

Tired of watching 30 year dudes throw their best years away. Content creation should be a stepping stone towards a real job. Not a career.
Everyone in SBFP worked multiple full time jobes before they moved on to making content full time. Would you rather Woolie were doing QA testing for Ubisoft or whatever the fuck? How is sitting in a cubicle for 9 hours a day not "throwing away your best years", but making a living doing something they enjoy somehow throwing away their best years?

What does "you need to be sustainable" even mean in the context of making funnay video on Youtube?

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
idk, I enjoyed the Spider-Man 3 vid

also the GG episodes with Weird Al and Ben Schwartz are great
GG crossovers tend to work better, imo.

The Spider-Man 3 vid is literally 50% of what Matt got out of Game Grumps after fellating them for nearly a year, maybe more. This was after piles and piles of forced GG references on SBFP's channel and there was very little promotion going the other way. It felt forced and like it was a waste.

Clearly a Cylon

A friendly toaster.
kiwifarms.net
What does "you need to be sustainable" even mean in the context of making funnay video on Youtube?
Some of youtube's best content was never going to be sustainable, especially in the era of demonitization. Look at Filthy Frank. He made shock humor videos that people still talk about years after he's gone. And he only did it to gear up for his music career.

The very idea of independent creators on youtube could be gone tomorrow.

Borax Bozo

kiwifarms.net
It is particularly weird how some Valve games have major participants that aren't named in the stories themselves. Wheatley is never directly named in Portal 2 (though you can infer his name from a loading screen), GLaDOS is never directly named (only indirectly referenced on a Powerpoint slide), and I don't think the Vortigaunts are named directly either (at least not in HL1).

Tags
None