The Super Best Friends Super Best Thread - Matt's a cuck, Liam is a bitch, Pat's nuts and Woolie is a piss poor marketer

dismissfrogs

kiwifarms.net
I think in one of the cartoons, Matt gets all excited for Wolfenstein, when Pat (correctly) is screaming about how it's Doom. Then Matt corrects himself.

I know it's scripted, but it probably reflects their game experiences, if this video is anything to go off of.

lol "game design" "college"

Borax Bozo

kiwifarms.net
It pretty much did, Doom was a sort of start while Quake perfected it, by allowing for more people to play, while with Doom you may get 2-4 at most. Hell, just being allowed to play a deathmatch battle with a guy via modem back then was mind-blowing. After people went through the single-player, the deathmatch is what they would def come back for more often.
IIRC Doom (or at least the shareware version) popped up on university and work LANs - a better environment for deathmatching than 1v1 modem play.

• Agree
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
Woolie & Punchmom's World of Horror stream was absolutely excruciating. From Woolie trying to explain Lovecraft to someone who didn't seem like they cared at all, to being completely blind when it comes to game navigation.

I get that WoH's buttons & menus are a little intimidating at first but damn it's like an hour in and they're still fucking struggling

1wngdngl

kiwifarms.net
Woolie & Punchmom's World of Horror stream was absolutely excruciating. From Woolie trying to explain Lovecraft to someone who didn't seem like they cared at all, to being completely blind when it comes to game navigation.

I get that WoH's buttons & menus are a little intimidating at first but damn it's like an hour in and they're still fucking struggling
every person Woolie makes videos with makes me wish he'd just do solo LPs

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
First off, thank you for all the nice and thoughtful responses. I never expected them to be so positive.

I am not so sure about your assessment of Woolie. Being a fighting-game hype-man cannot be paying well, unless you are Maximilian or directly in Capcom's employ such as Mike "Mike Ross" Ross used to be.
Organizing fighting game events probably pays as well as organizing underwater-rugby events. It's a hobby, and no matter how much the 'muh e-sports'-angle gets pushed, it just doesn't improve.
This is a) due to e-sports being a flop from the very beginning, and b) fighting games in particular being a niche attraction.
I cannot see him being a community manager for any game, since he lacks the skills and the passion for any one fighting game. He usually just screws around with what's popular at the moment and then moves on to the next bandwagon to hop on to.
If you haven't noticed, Woolie only ever hops from bandwagon to bandwagon. He is the most surface-level of all the Best Friends.
I don't think he has any back-up plans, seeing how he clings to his dead channel. Once CSB goes, he will probably have to rely on his fiancée's income until something turns up.

I was going to reply to you and say that my "cocksucking" of Oney was just meant to contrast the failure of the scrublords, which might have come off stronger than I wanted because I edited my comment down, but after reading your replies, I decided not to. You clearly just hate the sleepycabin.

To expand upon your point, I think youtube-ing being a possible job was a novelty that is slowly fading away.
I just went through my subscription list and found not one who get their main source of income from youtube.
Even Redlettermedia is mostly financed through Patreon.

Yeah, it's quite fascinating to see all of them being staunch, proud console peasants who have no conept of pc-gaming.
Remember when Woolie needed Pat to literally give him a USB-stick with New Vegas and mods because Woolie was unable to do the installation-malarkey by himself? That's the level of tech-wizardry we have to expect from him.

This is Matt we are talking about, after all. He probably hadn't even heard of Doom before Eternal came along.
Also, why in the red blazes is Civvie11, of all people, getting involved with Matt?

That comment was so savage, so wonderful, they should put this as a tagline for this thread.

That's probably because the people who consoom nothing but 90s children's cartoons and vidya are all soyboy bugmen who are at least openly parroting leftist viewpoints to garner the attention of feminist e-girls. They're white-knighting. It's what betas do. Look at Matt as a perfect example. His heart isn't in whatever LGBT-horse manure his ogre of a wife is spewing, but he has to keep up appearances. That's why he is so quick to delet his tweets when they don't get him the headpats he so desperately craves.

On the topic of Matt, as you said in a previous post, indeed, it was Matt who had that modicum of business sense to try and reach out to the industry and his competition. However, because Matt is above all else incompetent and lazy, all these handshakes have literally only amounted to a shovelware-tier indie-game.

This is what maddened me so, them taking their moderate success for granted and never once evolving or trying to step up their game. To them, doing the least amount of work seemed to be all that mattered.

Also >Matt made himself a girl in Animal Crossing
Yup, checks out. He doesn't even have the excuse of making a female avatar because you'd rather stare at a shapely girl's bottom for hours on end instead of a man's.
I bet he's pissed he wasn't allowed to make himself a babyfur avatar.

Edit because I forgot someone mentioned Liam going to college again to pick up the shambles of his life.
It's a game-design college. The degrees you get there are worth less than the paper they're printed on.
All he does is put himself in a worse financial situation by paying out the ass for a worthless degree.
The FGC doesn’t pay well, for players or organizers, and that was before the WuFlu shut them down completely. The Canadian FGC is probably also a lot smaller than the US, Japanese, or Korean scenes which also limits his prospects there. There are enough organizers and commentators as is. Why would they bring Woolie in when Tasty Steve, Aris, Majin Obama,or Sajam would do just fine with fewer issues.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
The FGC doesn’t pay well, for players or organizers, and that was before the WuFlu shut them down completely. The Canadian FGC is probably also a lot smaller than the US, Japanese, or Korean scenes which also limits his prospects there. There are enough organizers and commentators as is. Why would they bring Woolie in when Tasty Steve, Aris, Majin Obama,or Sajam would do just fine with fewer issues.
They would go to Woolie for Canadian locals, as they typically try and do for smaller events. There isn't a point in flying Tasty Steve out when you've got a guy there already. The FGC in general only seems to use UltraDavid and James Chen as the "official" commentators and the rest of everyone else as the local crew/b crew.

Also I'm not sure how marketable Aris is, considering he has a history of being a creep. Woolie's skeletons aren't out of the closet yet.

Do you actually have to be really good at the game in question to be a community manager? I would assume having experience handling a community would be more important.
You have to at least be serviceable. You typically need to be "good enough" to explain balance ideas, balance changes, and high level metas to a community without them regarding you as a full on moron who doesn't know what he's talking about. That's why you see a lot of ex-pro players and ex-tournament organizers in those types of roles.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
So, Matt did a short LP vid on Postal 4. An Id say whats more fun is the comments with one sticking out as "Oh, this game looks like trash. It should have turned into 11 like Saints Row did or make Uwe Boll movie or Postal 3 cannon. This is just lazy garbage an the devs clearly dont know what made P2 work"

ColorfulCassowary

Jonkers
kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, some mods resign from /r/twobestfriendsplay
View attachment 1203554
Huh. I wonder if the censorship from that reddit'll die down now. I remember some of the posters there coming over here for a safe haven to criticize the best friends without getting negrated/having their posts deleted.

I wonder why that subreddit would still be active. The best friends brand has been dead for a year. I guess maybe it's for tracking the four individually?

Digger10

kiwifarms.net
I wonder why that subreddit would still be active. The best friends brand has been dead for a year. I guess maybe it's for tracking the four individually?
No. The channel's quirky style and focus on niche media led to the subreddit becoming a general pop culture board and it had built up a community that didn't necessarily need the Best Friends to sustain it. They still talk about Woolie and Pat, but a lot of discussion is based on common interests in the fanbase.

brainlent

kiwifarms.net
No. The channel's quirky style and focus on niche media led to the subreddit becoming a general pop culture board and it had built up a community that didn't necessarily need the Best Friends to sustain it. They still talk about Woolie and Pat, but a lot of discussion is based on common interests in the fanbase.
That's one thing I'll give them. There's a multi-dimensional spectrum of nerd taste and being too much or too little of one thing makes your opinions on other things shit, but for a long time they threaded the needle. Arin's video game joke references start in 97 and die in 2003, other YouTubers were too weeb to play Western games, too Western to know anime, or too PC to play console or too mainstream to dig for cult hits. In their peak they brought together a nice cocktail of interests and the community they left behind still reflects that.

Woolie playing Dokapon is a good tease of that flexibility but when they're not a unit of four they don't have the same tastemaking power.

ColorfulCassowary

Jonkers
kiwifarms.net
So it's kinda like the Opie And Anthony subreddit? Huh. That's interesting.

InvertedDickEnthusiast

Trans Inclusionary Radical Misogynist
kiwifarms.net
It didn't used to be that way. It was always the same pitch but it didn't have that faggoty uptalk inflection he picked up later.

It's sad, really. He may not have been great but he was at least, for the most part, normal.

Reactions: ZoSo159

Neurotic Loser

Lurker who needs to Lurk MOAR
kiwifarms.net
I noticed no one linked the documentary that Taco Fun Box (a clip channel) is doing. So here it is, late I know.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv3s7j3tEZY

The video is fine as it is more of a broad summary of the channel, however, it is filled with clips that make it feel more like a compilation of the best hits of the Best Friends run.

Tags
None