The Tales of Series -

Prince Jello

kiwifarms.net
I started with Symphonia 1 and 2, then played Graces f and Xillia 1 and 2. I tried Zestiria, but I found the camera to be a complete nightmare with two players; I quit after the second chapter but I remember liking the story so far. I recently finished Berseria not too long ago. The story wasn't that impressive in my opinion, but the music and characters made it interesting nonetheless. My favorite series is still Xillia, though I heard that Vesperia is one of the best.

Little Dude

kiwifarms.net
It's been a bit, but I loved Vesperia when it came out. Played that game to death, would easily call it the best Tales game in terms of writing, with maybe Abyss as it's only real competion. Would absolutely reccomend keeping your eye on the Ps4 remaster if you're into Animu Gaymes.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
I've played most of the games since Symphonia and I'm 100% one of the usual Symphonia nostalgia-fags.

The day I realized Tales of Symphonia is older than I was when I played it, and people began calling it aged...(:_(

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WELCOMING IN THE NEW YEAR
kiwifarms.net
I like the series.

I tend to battle as non-main characters as their battle styles are more fun. I think Regal is the most fun to use, but Judith is pretty fun too.

CausticMinory

"Bring Light to my plight"
kiwifarms.net
Symphonia was fun to play with cousins on the weekend.
Vesperia is my fav and I'm so FUCKING happy it's FINALLY getting a rerelease on PS4 this year.
Xillia was fun and the idea of playing it from different perspectives was neat.
Never played Zesteria but Bearseria was ok. The combo system was hard at first but then you learn to break it pretty easily later on.

BubbleButt

The Reincarnation of Henry Darger
kiwifarms.net
I like the series.

I tend to battle as non-main characters as their battle styles are more fun. I think Regal is the most fun to use, but Judith is pretty fun too.
So much of Vesperia is broken as long as you're not playing as Yuri.

Judith is difficult to use if you're not sure how to stay in the air.

Rita was just ridiculously OP after a while with her "Blahblahblah, TIDAL WAVE!" and I remember reading somewhere recently that there was a setup to make Estellise invincible or some shit.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Tales of Crestoria is coming to the English-speaking market. If you didn't know, Crestoria is another one of the Tales of app games. (we're still never getting Asteria, it's probably too late at this point)

Given that they couldn't maintain a player base for Rays for even a year in the west leads me to not even want to try playing Crestoria. What's the point of getting into a game that needs servers to run when you know that shits just gonna die off?
Tales can be repetitive and button-mashy on consoles, and Rays was even worse about it. I don't have faith in the battle system for an app game after trying Rays, saying it needs an update, and it getting killed off before we even got to enjoy its full potential.

((I still miss Tales of Link.))

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
I played Destiny on PS1 and Symphonia on Gamecube, a friend did one of the sequels but the series got stale for me quickly. That tower of druaga shit in the first one was pretty annoying without a guide.

Deus Ex Macarena

Lift Off For Love
kiwifarms.net
My first Tales game was Tales From The Abyss on the 3DS. Honestly it was one of the best games for the 3DS and ended up spending two weeks on it until I finished it. Went onto Tales of Hearts R which is my favourite, before finally playing Berseria, which was alright but not as good as the rest.

Symphonia and Zestiria are on my list to play but it's finding the time and the agony of choosing which one to play first.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
[ReplyQUOTE="Deus Ex Macarena, post: 4081837, member: 28737"]My first Tales game was Tales From The Abyss on the 3DS. Honestly it was one of the best games for the 3DS and ended up spending two weeks on it until I finished it. Went onto Tales of Hearts R which is my favourite, before finally playing Berseria, which was alright but not as good as the rest.

Symphonia and Zestiria are on my list to play but it's finding the time and the agony of choosing which one to play first.[/QUOTE]

Zestiria is very friendly to pick up and play, it's very popular for people who make it their first Tales, but Zestiris is a shitty-ass game. Symphonia is on the stiff side, it was the first 3D game in the series, but it's a classic. I'd recommend Symphonia over Zestiria, and actually would go as far as saying just don't bother playing Zestiria.

Reactions: Deus Ex Macarena

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
My first Tales game was Tales From The Abyss on the 3DS. Honestly it was one of the best games for the 3DS and ended up spending two weeks on it until I finished it. Went onto Tales of Hearts R which is my favourite, before finally playing Berseria, which was alright but not as good as the rest.

Symphonia and Zestiria are on my list to play but it's finding the time and the agony of choosing which one to play first.
I like Zestiria and since it takes place after Berseria, you might want to go after that one next.

Reactions: Deus Ex Macarena

Polyboros

kiwifarms.net
I emulated Tales of Phantasia for the SNES a loooong time ago, liked it but never finished.

I really liked Symphonia, spent like ten hours at the start of the game grinding for a title or something that buffed my characters. Also didn't finish.

However the I can count on my hands the number of JRPGs I've finished on my hands.

chekovia

This is a land of wolves now...
kiwifarms.net
Currently finishing off tales of Berseria as I'm being sidetracked by Red dead redemption 2. I prefer its setting and characters over tales of Zesteria, which feels like a warm-up. Tales of Zillia is still it for me emotionally, though.

Last edited:

Poop A Loop

kiwifarms.net
I just finished Berseria and tend to agree. I think part of it is because Xillia was my first Tales game, but if I had to answer why specifically it would be because the story beats with Jude and Milla felt more impactful and I liked the twist in Xillia more.

Berseria is still really good, though. I'd love for Xillia and Xillia 2 to get ported to PC so I don't have to wait for PS3 emulation to catch up or hang on to my now 8 year old PS3.

Reactions: chekovia

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
I think that the PS4 is capable of playing PS3 games if they're put onto the playstation network. If I really wanted to pack up my PS3 then I'd rather have all the PS3 Tales put on PSN for </= $20 than wait for them all to get ported and pay >$30 dollars for them and have extra physical copies of my games taking up space.

On a separate note, I like Xillia a lot but the cut scenes have a lot of standing around, you can't speed them up like in Zestiria, and the difficulty of boss fights can be pretty bullshit. The Milla story is a decent enough idea, but it's so similar to Jude's I would rather they blended them together...then finish writing the story and gave Leia more story-presence because idgaf about sobstory lolis. (I just did Elize's biggest part of the story around Xian Du and...seeing her gets annoying.)

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Say, who else ordered/bought the extended edition of Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition? I missed it when it first came out and this one has got some new stuff that looks good.

streetsweeper

cleaning up the mean streets
kiwifarms.net
It looks pretty nice if you aren't one of those weirdos with a japanese PS3 disk sitting on your shelf. I'm skipping it because I am one of those weirdos.

Also general chat, how have we not posted the best translation of ToP yet? Gotta fix that.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
I haven't played Vesperia through since being the 2nd player on 360. I recently picked up the Switch version, and even though I'm gonna co-op it with a buddy at some point, I'm gonna start it and really dig into all it has to offer. Thought I'd just plug it in and play it, but of course it has an update for me.
At least I don't have to wait for it to install.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino