The thread where you post your mildly unpopular opinions -

Crustyguy

kiwifarms.net
Being a "normie" isn't a bad thing. To me it just means being a functional, sensible human being. In fact, this site partially attracted me in the first place because of how relatively "normie" it is (reddit doesn't count, too many nu-males and "heckin-doggo-pupper" types).

Dafuqisdis?

kiwifarms.net
I'm convinced that sushi was just a fisherman's prank that went too far and is now a national cuisine. "Here, you try raw fish, it taste rovery."

The mutational load of the human genotype is reaching unbelievable proportions and humanity could use a good die of to correct things, as horrible as it would be.

David Lynch's adaptation of Dune isn't as bad as he and other people like to make it out to be.
I watched it again recently after not seeing it in more than 20 years. It's an abomination and way worse than I remember.

Monty Python is overrated as fuck. For every hit, there's 4-5 misses and the dorks who obsess over it are as obnoxious as the Rick & Morty fans of today.
I wish I had posted this. The Python movies are solid though.

Reactions: Pissmaster

Higgins

KNEE DEEP IN THE SHIT!!!!!!!!
kiwifarms.net
Rotten apples do spoil the bunch. You lose being an individual once you put on a uniform, take an oath, and become part of an institution. That uniform essentially says that you're above the civilian in some manner and that you uphold a certain value system as a result. Betraying that tarnishes the reputation averageof the organization and makes things more difficult for the ones who do the right thing.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
People who treat Confederate statues getting removed as America "removing it's heroes" are fucking autistic.

I hate PC and cancel culture as much as the next man but I say this as a Southerner: We lost get over it.

Plus if I remember right most of those statues were erected as a form of childish rebellion to desegregation in the South. * correct me if I'm wrong *

Frankly I'm surprised they weren't taken down decades ago.

AprilRains

Drowning Pumpkin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You're not even close to right. The statues were erected as a sort of uneasy compromise with the sensibilities of the defeated states. The idea was that we could celebrate the convictions, heroism, and military competence of the Confederacy while still not sharing their convictions.

Tearing those statues down now is pretty pointless. If you want to undo that uneasy cultural compromise so that you can feel superior, that's swell, but why didn't you even try to figure out why they did it before you decided it was worth undoing?

Autumnal Equinox

Sing or I'll go home and kill all your mommies
kiwifarms.net
Clive Barker works much better when he's writing dark fantasy rather than straight up horror.

And Ramsey Campbell is the best contemporary British horror writer. Dude needs more recognition.

• Agree
Reactions: Curt Sibling

Spamy the Bot

Notorious Moon
kiwifarms.net
Social Media and it's consequences were a disaster for the online people. They have greatly increased the egos of those of us who live in acceptable groups but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering and have inflicted severe damage on the Internet culture.

Especially Twitter, I hate Twitter. Any time I have to look at that place I have to puke. Beside literally being responsible for millions of ruined lives with pushing the Arab spring, the retarded forced side taking in politics and polarization ruins everything. I hope Jack will be bullied into oblivion by his NGO masters, because he unleashed that cancer on the world.

I am not even mad, just sad. The spirit Internet of now is like a reanimated corpse of what it used to be, he was a good friend, a good pal but now he is a twisted mockery of everything it used to stand for. I guess people's intrinsic self unleashed is this weird blob without any aspiration. Nerds called it for millennia but it still sucks. All because some retards had to include an upvote system thus gamifying the mob behavior by rewarding good think and punishing the outsider.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Social Media and it's consequences were a disaster for the online people. They have greatly increased the egos of those of us who live in acceptable groups but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering and have inflicted severe damage on the Internet culture.

Especially Twitter, I hate Twitter. Any time I have to look at that place I have to puke. Beside literally being responsible for millions of ruined lives with pushing the Arab spring, the retarded forced side taking in politics and polarization ruins everything. I hope Jack will be bullied into oblivion by his NGO masters, because he unleashed that cancer on the world.

I am not even mad, just sad. The spirit Internet of now is like a reanimated corpse of what it used to be, he was a good friend, a good pal but now he is a twisted mockery of everything it used to stand for. I guess people's intrinsic self unleashed is this weird blob without any aspiration. Nerds called it for millennia but it still sucks. All because some retards had to include an upvote system thus gamifying the mob behavior by rewarding good think and punishing the outsider.
Social media gives people the illusion that their opinions actually matter. It used to be that you had to actually work to get your voice heard, but now any moron with a Twitter account can vomit their dumbass opinions on anything and get a dopamine rush when other people read their bullshit. It's sinister in how it gives people an unwarranted sense of self-importance, and how that accumulates into groups of political shitheads who barely know what the hell they're arguing about other than that it's what they believe in and it makes them look "good."

Spamy the Bot

Notorious Moon
kiwifarms.net
Social media gives people the illusion that their opinions actually matter. It used to be that you had to actually work to get your voice heard, but now any moron with a Twitter account can vomit their dumbass opinions on anything and get a dopamine rush when other people read their bullshit. It's sinister in how it gives people an unwarranted sense of self-importance, and how that accumulates into groups of political shitheads who barely know what the hell they're arguing about other than that it's what they believe in and it makes them look "good."
This certainly brings up the problem of the Internet as a medium of communication. As long as you have a big enough ego or big enough supportive audience you simply can't lose an argument online. People can just feel their views justified if everybody starts shitting on them. It's a narcissist's game.

What is really concerning to me is the fact that this "tribalism" is the strongest in areas where the less fortunate kids (ie. less social skills, kids in search of identities and communities) are funneled into. It certainly create appalling incentives for purity spiralling behavior because the boat is always sinking and you have to drown the guy next to you or you can be the next who will lose his little online community.

Also how weird it is, that the present self is responsible for Tweets of 5+ years ago? Naturally nobody could even recall what they were even like 5 years ago, but now it's there in the open and always ready to be used against you. It's really something out of a paranoid's delusion, even your thoughts, taste in music etc can be used against you. So much for self expression and the Internet as a safety valve.

Sorry for the rant.

Tags
None