The Windows OS Thread - Formerly THE OS for gamers and normies, now sadly ruined by Pajeets

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
without that service on you'll have screen tearing issues
Interesting, was never aware of this, but as you say it did double-buffer even normal Win32 GUI drawing. That said, in my years running Win7 I certainly never noticed any artifacts running with that service off that bothered me as much as seeing Win7 themes for even a second while logging in would have done.

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
What do I need to do to prevent Windows 10, my web browser, Steam, Skyrim, etc, from ruining my SSD with excessive writes?

My laptop will have 64 GB DDR4 when it arrives in a few days.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What do I need to do to prevent Windows 10, my web browser, Steam, Skyrim, etc, from ruining my SSD with excessive writes?

My laptop will have 64 GB DDR4 when it arrives in a few days.
Excessive writing isn't a major problem anymore. It was a big deal when SSDs were brand new and broke after a week, but now they're really solid. I was a pretty big critic and holdout of SSDs when they were new, too. They're definitely durable enough to replace HDDs without issue.

???

kiwifarms.net
There's something you can do on Linux where you mount web browser cache in memory, I'm asking if there's something equivalent on Windows for gaming and web browsing.

edit

My laptop has an integrated GPU, does it share RAM with the CPU - or rather have a chunk of RAM allocated to it?

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
5. How do I permanently and reliably stop automatic updates?
Well, you could use hosts file to block the servers and then just remove the entries when you want to update. You can search and find a list of update (and probably telemetry) servers Windows uses and add them to the hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1. I did that on a laptop I have set up as a media device because it's only got a small SSD and just downloading updates was filling it up. Then it would fail to update because there wasn't even enough space left to unpack and install anything. Fucking Windows is too retarded to check available drive space before starting so it would bog the system down and I had to go manually delete all the shit. Windows 10 is fucking cancer.

I'm at the point I only use windows for gayman and because I'm too lazy to move everything to a fresh install of anything.
Next machine is just going to be linux and I'll play whatever works on it. From what I see Wine and Proton work well. Both my personal and work laptops are with linux and I'm happy with them.
Whatever Steam does with that extra option you have to enable to run Windows games in Linux works really well. Tried it on a couple of games and it works flawlessly. Fuck ton easier than any time I've tried to get something running in Wine that didn't work right off the bat.

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fucking Windows is too retarded to check available drive space before starting so it would bog the system down and I had to go manually delete all the shit. Windows 10 is fucking cancer.
they actually addressed that fairly recently with the 1903 update, it's called Reserved Storage and it was specifically done to prevent that from happening, and 1909 made the space needed for windows 10 smaller than it's ever been.

idk why the fuck you people let your system drive get so fucking full though

• Winner
Reactions: The Fool

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
My laptop has an integrated GPU, does it share RAM with the CPU - or rather have a chunk of RAM allocated to it?
Both. It gets a chunk of RAM through the chipset/CPU and can request more through the driver, if the first chunk is not enough. Both methods will reduce the amount of RAM you have available for other purposes. The second is slower, because it has to pass through the OS before the GPU can use it, but will be released for other uses again when it is no longer needed.
You might be able to increase the size of the first chunk in your BIOS/UEFI to speed things up a little bit.

RAM-disk on Windows
It possible with third party software, but, as said before, has no advantages for a browser cache.

• Informative
Reactions: ???

???

kiwifarms.net
Any idea why Windows has unfucked itself? Did they stop hiring Bindis?

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dona Sarkar rode in on a magical unicorn and headed up the Windows Insider project and said 'fuck it, let's just put linux in windows' and then they bought github and started taking user submissions with increasing frequency and everyone held hands and kissed.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: 3119967d0c and ???

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Windows 10 is trivial to use and control after learning even a little bit about the Registry and Group Policy
I recall reading somewhere that none of that stuff actually has an effect unless you're running Enterprise, do you know if that's still true?

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I recall reading somewhere that none of that stuff actually has an effect unless you're running Enterprise, do you know if that's still true?
only when it comes to disabling telemetry and disabling the 'consumer experience' (and a couple of other small things but those are the big two)

welcometotherock

Chanticleer Hegemony
kiwifarms.net
It's moments like this that make me glad I torrented Windows 10 LTSC 2019. I would've preferred the 2016 version, but it don't run on Ryzen sadly :'(

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait, what? We talking about the same OS that accidentally deleted user files just two years ago?
That was such a specific edge case I think it affected literally 10 people.

Meanwhile I remember doing a major version update of Ubuntu a few years ago and deleted my entire user folder except for my desktop. As a standard part of the update process. The most popular distro in the world, backed by a decent-sized corporation.

• Feels
Reactions: Yotsubaaa

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That was such a specific edge case I think it affected literally 10 people.
I'll grant you that but it was still pretty stupid.

I dunno, I just don't trust MS to make a decent OS anymore.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll grant you that but it was still pretty stupid.

I dunno, I just don't trust MS to make a decent OS anymore.
Windows 10's image was kind of muddied by the fact that they released it intentionally unfinished. Not to be lazy or greedy or any sort of bad intent. 10 was going to be a massive upgrade that changed the entire UX of the system. This was, and still is, going to take years. Across having to modify, update and rewrite dozens of different products. Instead of letting it fall into development hell and become the next Taligent while people were still pissed at Windows 8 and had no desire to move off Windows 7 (which they already saw was going to be the next Windows XP EOL crisis), they decided to release Windows 10 in a very much beta stage and allow people to give feedback on the system as it updated and matured.

I was with 10 all the way back when it was in preview. It was utterly unusable, the Start menu wouldn't even open. I've watched it evolve so much that it's now surpassed Windows 7 for me, in usability, performance, and even bugs. I hear far less people these days go "well it doesn't work for me" than I used to. Because Windows 10 is slowly crawling out of it's "beta-but-not-beta" phase and becoming a real, polished product.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you are an utter paranoid who want to excise as much phoning home stuff from Windows 10 as possible, try tips on this page:

If you are still paranoid, use this:

I have used this in the past, and you might notice a bit of a boost in system performance, but be VERY CAREFUL, some of the things you can disable to quit sending shit home to Microsoft under your nose can be very dangerous to mess with.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
I was with 10 all the way back when it was in preview. It was utterly unusable, the Start menu wouldn't even open. I've watched it evolve so much that it's now surpassed Windows 7 for me, in usability, performance, and even bugs. I hear far less people these days go "well it doesn't work for me" than I used to. Because Windows 10 is slowly crawling out of it's "beta-but-not-beta" phase and becoming a real, polished product.
Windows 10 is still fucking awful.
I get constant problems just doing an Update. Boot loops, hitting OOMs, only 20% of selected updates got installed, etc. etc..
Not to mention that the whole thing takes longer than installing a whole new copy of Windows. It's ridiculous.

Updates are such a crucial part of any internet-connected device but a fucking trillion dollar company can't make them work.

Not to mention how slow everything thing. I right-click on a file it takes 5 seconds just for the context menu to show up.
Windows 2000 on a Pentium I felt faster than Windows 10 does on a Ryzen 5.

And dumb wank like the 3d printer slicer. Why can't I remove that stupid 3d folder no one ever uses without fucking around with some arcane registry entries? Why is it an integrated part of the system? It's so dumb.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: hauser

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Windows 10 is still fucking awful.
I get constant problems just doing an Update. Boot loops, hitting OOMs, only 20% of selected updates got installed, etc. etc..
Not to mention that the whole thing takes longer than installing a whole new copy of Windows. It's ridiculous.

Updates are such a crucial part of any internet-connected device but a fucking trillion dollar company can't make them work.

Not to mention how slow everything thing. I right-click on a file it takes 5 seconds just for the context menu to show up.
Windows 2000 on a Pentium I felt faster than Windows 10 does on a Ryzen 5.

And dumb wank like the 3d printer slicer. Why can't I remove that stupid 3d folder no one ever uses without fucking around with some arcane registry entries? Why is it an integrated part of the system? It's so dumb.
What the fuck is wrong with your computer, I'm using decade-old hardware and it's snappy as hell.

Tags
None