The Yakuza Series - Japan Simulator

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
The weird and quirky world of the Yakuza games. Based off the red light district of Kabukicho, the Yakuza games follows an ex Yakuza named Kazuma Kiryu. Why Yakuza? The game in Japan is called Like a Dragon.

Here is a better explaination:

Next year, the team behind the Yakuza games will be releasing the Hokuto no Ken game featuring the Yakuza voice actors.

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley
This is one of those Japanese games that are like EDF - ridiculous, overblown, self-aware of those previous factors, and 9000% NIPPONESE, and entertaining for exactly those reasons.

I wish they'd release Yakuza on PC though. It'll never happen BUT a man can dream.

PurpleDude

Pussburglar
kiwifarms.net
I'm a newbie to this series. Only played 0 and Kiwami, but I love them both. Hoping the rest of the series at least get PS4 ports after Kiwami 2 since I don't have a PS3. Also really hope the Fist of the North Star game gets to America because holy shit it looks amazing.

SomethingWittyandBadass

Daddy's too busy fucking a whore to care Timmy.
kiwifarms.net
The weird and quirky world of the Yakuza games. Based off the red light district of Kabukicho, the Yakuza games follows an ex Yakuza named Kazuma Kiryu. Why Yakuza? The game in Japan is called Like a Dragon.

Here is a better explaination:

Next year, the team behind the Yakuza games will be releasing the Hokuto no Ken game featuring the Yakuza voice actors.
>using HyperBitHero video to show an explanation

My nigga.

Pointandlaugh

kiwifarms.net
Agreed, I would happily try out the Yakuza series if they ported it over to steam, it honestly seems like a pretty fun game series.
If you have a decent PC, I recommend emulating both Yakuza 1 and 2.

How to play the games. Kiwami > Kiwami 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 0 > 6. That one Japanese only Yakuza game on the PS3 and Dead Souls goes somewhere...
If you know Japanese, it's good to try Kenzan (PS3), Ishin (PS3 & PS4) and the Black Panther games (PSP). You can emulate the PSP games, the game uses the Def Jam Fight for New York engine.

• Informative
Reactions: soryu

Pointandlaugh

kiwifarms.net
So when do we get the Mafia reviewing Mafia?
Anyway, I do want to get into this franchise someday, probably going to start with 0.
If you still have a PS2, get Yakuza 1 and 2. The games got a reprint last year.
https://www.videogamesplus.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=yakuza+&x=0&y=0
You can also emulate both of these on PC.
If you have a PS3, get Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 (5 is digital). If you understand Japanese, pick up the HD Collection. Only available in Japan though.
Get 0 and Kiwami on the PS4. You won't regret it, worth the money for the content you are getting with these games. No season passes, no microtransactions, no paywalls, nothing. Just free DLC.

0 is a good place to start for anyone getting into the series, but you do get easter eggs and characters from the previous games.

As for music, 0 has the best ost followed by 3.

• Informative
Reactions: dunbrine47

Van Darkholme

DEEP ♂DARK ♂FANTASIES
kiwifarms.net
IMO, there's really no reason to play the original Yakuza with its fixed camera perspectives, clunky combat and constant loading anymore (not even going to mention the horrible english dub, except for Mark Hamill hamming it up as Majima).
Just play Kiwami and wait for Kiwami 2.

Pointandlaugh

kiwifarms.net
IMO, there's really no reason to play the original Yakuza with its fixed camera perspectives, clunky combat and constant loading anymore (not even going to mention the horrible english dub, except for Mark Hamill hamming it up as Majima).
Just play Kiwami and wait for Kiwami 2.
The only thing the original has over Kiwami is the soundtrack, which is debatable.

Van Darkholme

DEEP ♂DARK ♂FANTASIES
kiwifarms.net
I recently finished Yakuza 0, and I now understand everyone's obsession with the series. I'm getting Kiwami ASAP.

Yakuza will never get me to like Shogi or Mahjong, though.

fuck your bullshit board games, japan
I wish that shit wasn't tied to some trophies.

Pointandlaugh

kiwifarms.net
I just got into the series a few weeks ago. I'm amazed I never even tried to look into the series before since I'm a fan of a bunch of other Sega games. Funny thing though, I had a couple of the PSP spin-off songs on my computer, but that's it. Maybe I wasn't interested before because I saw people mostly focus on the funny sub-stories, but after playing myself, the story is intense. Especially since 1 and 2 were written by someone who's never done work in video games, but has written for numerous yakuza themed movies, the influence definitely carried on to the later games.
I'm currently playing 0, I think it's pretty clever how they made Kiryu and Majima's progression sequences play out almost exactly, except everything else is different. Majima's really fun to play as since his fighting styles feel more natural. Also, the cabaret club minigame is addicting and I'm glad it brings me in a lot of money.
I'm really excited to start playing Kiwami, especially with the updated engine, PS2 Kiryu looked like a mix of a chimpanzee and John Travolta at times.
Also, I recently played the Kiwami 2 and 6 demos and I'm really loving the new Dragon engine.
There was suppose to be a fan translation for the first PSP game, but the project came to a halt. For me personally, 0 was the peak in the series. Kiwami wasn't too bad, improved on 0's combat. The cabaret club minigame returns in Kiwami 2. I wish Virtua Fighter 5 FS was left in Kiwami 2. This was the best minigame from 6.

6 has the easiest platinum in the series. Easier than Yakuza 4.

• Informative
Reactions: soryu
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino