The Yakuza Series - Japan Simulator

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
If they did a HD version on PS4 and PC with a stable framerate, and reworked controls (I heard the controls were ass), I imagine it would be better received than its original PS3 version. Though considering how it went over in the west, I doubt they would, sadly.
The controls themselves were fine imo but the gameplay had some terrible design flaws like the AI partners being rather useless and the Subterranea missions. Subterranea was a dungeon-crawling mode that was frustrating in the sense you had to complete it twice per character (with an increase of 5 floors on each mission) and it involved backtracking in and out the quarantine in order to reach that zone everytime. It was fine at first with Akiyama, but it became particularly tedious when doing with Majima and Ryuji.

I also remember it was easy to get yourself stunned repeatedly by normal zombies on the highest difficulty run which was more or less a slow ride towards the game over screen if you got ganged by a group of them at once

Reactions: Detrogen

Unoriginal Username

Playing a Real Shen Megoomi Tensay Game
kiwifarms.net
So i started playing Yakuza 3 Remastered as part of the HD collection a couple days back after i finished Kiwami 2 and am currently on Chapter 5 doing subquests. When compared to the Kiwami titles and 0 its a step down in some ways. I think the orphanage subplot is a nice change of pace and Ryukyu feels kind of like Onomichi from 6 which i will probably replay after finishing 5. I will admit i hate certain minigames and the requirements for some substories like the golf, pool, baseball, and bowling ones mostly because the controls are finnicky and some require lots of practice and wasted yen and others require kneejerk reactions like baseball. Other than that I don't have many problems with the game play.

• Informative
Reactions: Begemot

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
So i started playing Yakuza 3 Remastered as part of the HD collection a couple days back after i finished Kiwami 2 and am currently on Chapter 5 doing subquests. When compared to the Kiwami titles and 0 its a step down in some ways. I think the orphanage subplot is a nice change of pace and Ryukyu feels kind of like Onomichi from 6 which i will probably replay after finishing 5. I will admit i hate certain minigames and the requirements for some substories like the golf, pool, baseball, and bowling ones mostly because the controls are finnicky and some require lots of practice and wasted yen and others require kneejerk reactions like baseball. Other than that I don't have many problems with the game play.
Yakuza 3 is technically the oldest game in the series. 0, Kiwami 1 and 2 are full remakes and were modernized to a large degree. Yakuza 3 is going to have a level of jank representative of a 10 year old game.

Reactions: Unoriginal Username

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net
I played Yakuza 3 way back in the day. My current play through of the remaster is my first time playing on hard mode. Word of advice for all of you. Around Chapters 7 and 8 start stockpiling health items and (most important) weapons.

Chapter 9 is basically one long gauntlet with 3 boss fights. The fight at the end with Lau Ka Long is hard as fuck since his combos have a 360 degree radius and reach extremely far. I basically spent the whole fight running in circles while my heat regenerated so i could repeatedly beat him over the head with glass bottles.

I honestly forgot this fight was in the game, which I guess makes sense considering I only played through it once 10 years ago and Normal mode isn’t particularly challenging.

Reactions: Unoriginal Username

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
With Yakuza 3, you need to time the tiger drop right. I think this game and 4 you receive damage if you don't time the tiger drop right. Komaki parry is useful in 3.

The pool mini game in all 3 remasters is messed up. The input and accuracy is atrocious compared to the PS3 versions. The game doesn't even register the amount of pressure you put into the shot with the right stick, the ball either hits the wrong ball or goes somewhere else. Golf and baseball is easier than pool in the remasters.

I forgot to mention I didn't even start a second playthrough with Judgment like the other games. Exploring the city while the Keihen gang were in town wasn't fun.

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net
I forgot to mention I didn't even start a second playthrough with Judgment like the other games. Exploring the city while the Keihen gang were in town wasn't fun.
The Keihin gang are the reason I dropped Judgment. Especially when their fourth officer with the pistol shows up. Whoever decided that perma-damage needed to be a thing and to make the only item that heals it ludicrously expensive needs to be waterboarded until they learn good game design.

• Agree
Reactions: Pointandlaugh

Pointandlaugh

kiwifarms.net
The Keihin gang are the reason I dropped Judgment. Especially when their fourth officer with the pistol shows up. Whoever decided that perma-damage needed to be a thing and to make the only item that heals it ludicrously expensive needs to be waterboarded until they learn good game design.
The whole game design for Judgment was terrible, whoever green lit the gameplay needs the sack. So many Yakuza games, heck 2 games using the Dragon engine yet the gameplay goes 10 steps back. You couldn't even use a disguise in premium adventure like the Yakuza series. I had to go back to Yakuza 6, sure it lacked content but at least there was some fun compared to Judgment.

Surprisingly I enjoyed Puyo Puyo with some experience from 6.

Mazinkaiser

kiwifarms.net
I just picked up 0 since it was $5 on sale, and I'm loving it. I just beat chapter 2, but I feel like I'm still having trouble with the bosses. I only beat that Tachibana Real Estate goon by abusing bear style and stunlocking him with all the shit in the room. Any tips?

broilerrx

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just picked up 0 since it was $5 on sale, and I'm loving it. I just beat chapter 2, but I feel like I'm still having trouble with the bosses. I only beat that Tachibana Real Estate goon by abusing bear style and stunlocking him with all the shit in the room. Any tips?

Here's a good guide on the combat. Keep in mind that Kiryu is more of a brute force character, while Majima is very much finesse. devilleon7 also has in-depth guides on the two character's fighting styles, though the Majima one is about twice as long as Kiryu's.

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just keep leveling up the character. Yakuza games tend to put a very difficult boss early on in the game as a skillcheck but then start get easier as you get more combat skills and health.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
I recently beat the Y3 remaster. I'd beaten it and 4 way back in day, but needed to refresh myself before I tackled 5.

Probably my least favorite of the ones I've played. The story was pretty goofy with all the twists, though that scene after the boss with the bulls was genuinely sad.

Also, bosses were a massive slog unless you got good with Tiger Drop and Komaki Parry. They block way too much. Even sidestepping behind them for a combo they'd almost always recover and start blocking the Triangle attacks.

I really don't remember the meat of the Y4 story, but I do remember liking the game more overall. Hopefully the remaster brings back the good memories from back then.

Reactions: Pointandlaugh

Pointandlaugh

kiwifarms.net
I recently beat the Y3 remaster. I'd beaten it and 4 way back in day, but needed to refresh myself before I tackled 5.

Probably my least favorite of the ones I've played. The story was pretty goofy with all the twists, though that scene after the boss with the bulls was genuinely sad.

Also, bosses were a massive slog unless you got good with Tiger Drop and Komaki Parry. They block way too much. Even sidestepping behind them for a combo they'd almost always recover and start blocking the Triangle attacks.

I really don't remember the meat of the Y4 story, but I do remember liking the game more overall. Hopefully the remaster brings back the good memories from back then.
Some dialogue changes like the Hana chan phone call at the start and Tanimura. Other than that no changes to 4. As for Yakuza 3, I didn't think the combat was as bad as Kiwami's regenerating health bosses and Jingu then again I usually spam tiger drop and the cigarette heat action in 3.

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
I bought Kiwami and Zero (traded it for a game I didn't want), so I guess with as convoluted as this series is, it'll be okay to start there.

We'll see if I actually like it though. But, I'm going in positive.

Reactions: KingofNothing

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
I bought Kiwami and Zero (traded it for a game I didn't want), so I guess with as convoluted as this series is, it'll be okay to start there.

We'll see if I actually like it though. But, I'm going in positive.
Those are excellent picks and now you'll be able to enjoy the story of Yakuza 1 with a combat system that's actually good. Better get comfy though, those games have tons of content

Reactions: Guts Gets Some

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
Those are excellent picks and now you'll be able to enjoy the story of Yakuza 1 with a combat system that's actually good. Better get comfy though, those games have tons of content
What should be the third one to buy if I wind up liking them? I know the timeline and releases are more convoluted than Zelda's.

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net
Finished 3 on Legend difficulty yesterday. The fight at the bullring is the only point where I got killed. Mine and Richardson were relatively easy compared to Lau Ka Long, Tamashiro and Joji.

@Guts Gets Some 4 has always been my favorite, but for ease of access might as well go with Kiwami 2 and go in a straight line.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
What should be the third one to buy if I wind up liking them? I know the timeline and releases are more convoluted than Zelda's.
The releases are a bit odd because of the remakes, but the timeline itself is pretty straightforward. Next get Kiwami 2 which is the remake of Yakuza 2 and then get the remaster collection of 3-6 on the PS4 if you're still into it.

• Informative
Reactions: Guts Gets Some

Guts Gets Some

Herbie is bae
kiwifarms.net
The releases are a bit odd because of the remakes, but the timeline itself is pretty straightforward. Next get Kiwami 2 which is the remake of Yakuza 2 and then get the remaster collection of 3-6 on the PS4 if you're still into it.
Your two sentence post was 1000x more helpful than some Youtube video I watched trying to explain how to start and get into it.

So I should start with Zero and then Kiwami, of the two I have?

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Your two sentence post was 1000x more helpful than some Youtube video I watched trying to explain how to start and get into it.

So I should start with Zero and then Kiwami, of the two I have?
It would probably be best just to start with Zero since it's the prequel to everything. The downside to this is that you'll miss a couple of references to characters that show up later and the start of plot threads that become relevant in future games. It's weird for me, I played the others before I touched Zero so noticing all the little references was a treat for me, but since you're new to the series going into Zero first without the plot of Yakuza 1 in the back of your mind might give you a better story experience.

Yeah, fuck it, start with Zero and just go from there

Tags
None