The Yakuza Series - Japan Simulator

rotollo

TFW No Tomboy GF
kiwifarms.net
I was filling out segas servery and I was wondering, is Judgement a spin off or just considered the same series by the same team?
also, wondering now that 7 is a jrpg will judgement become the series where the old style stays for the most part?

• Dumb
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Pizdec

That Russian who probably thinks too much.
kiwifarms.net
Is Judgement a spin off or just considered the same series by the same team?
It's a spin off through and through. I do hope it goes a bit past the "corrupt yakuza are corrupt" trope, at least from how far I'm into the game (I'm on chapter 2). Though that's not to say I'm not having fun, not by a long shot. The combat is LOT different from when I was playing 0 and Kiwami, but in a refreshing way.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Judgement does a lot of things right but it has a problem of really shitty activities that ruin the flow and waste the player's time.

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
Snapped up the remasters and 6. I'm playing 3 and I like how enemies get bloody when you beat the shit out of them, what I don't like is them constantly blocking. Probably shouldn't have put it on hard.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
Snapped up the remasters and 6. I'm playing 3 and I like how enemies get bloody when you beat the shit out of them, what I don't like is them constantly blocking. Probably shouldn't have put it on hard.
They do it on normal too. It was my biggest gripe when revisiting the game with the remasters. I've only plated 0 through 4, but 3 is by far my least favourite of them.

• Informative
Reactions: Cod of War

Coach McGuirk

Alcoholic Soccer Coach
kiwifarms.net
I've never really played a Yakuza game but I'm curious if any long term fans are interested in the turn based RPG element of the new game. Its something that I've found really interesting it makes me interested in the new game.
And I'm sorry if I'm late as hell on this this, but the new games seem like something fun to RPG fans

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
I've never really played a Yakuza game but I'm curious if any long term fans are interested in the turn based RPG element of the new game. Its something that I've found really interesting it makes me interested in the new game.
And I'm sorry if I'm late as hell on this this, but the new games seem like something fun to RPG fans
I'm very interested, but turn based RPG is also my favourite genre. It's an interesting take on both Yakuza and RPGs, but I understand why some Yakuza fans might be put off by it.

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
Kinda wished that part of the game STAYED in Japan. Here's to hoping Yakuza 7 doesn't have any hostess shit in it. :drink:
Thankfully it doesn't. The hostess clubs in 7 are just like restaurants in other Yakuza games. You select the girl, order the food and that's it, no long winded conversations and dates. Conversations have shifted to the party members in the Survivor bar.

I'm very interested, but turn based RPG is also my favourite genre. It's an interesting take on both Yakuza and RPGs, but I understand why some Yakuza fans might be put off by it.
After getting the platinum for Yakuza 7, I can say the turn based combat is not that bad, it is quite fun. There is a few problems I have, one of them is that boss battles don't feel as epic as previous games due to the turn based combat. Another thing is that EX-Hard can be annoying. You would think that they would improve the AI by giving them different moves and attacks, nope they just give the enemies triple the health and double the damage and call it a day. And the enemies are level 2 at the start of the game not level 70 when starting Premium New Game ffs.

• Informative
Reactions: Neurotic Loser

Coach McGuirk

Alcoholic Soccer Coach
kiwifarms.net
Thankfully it doesn't. The hostess clubs in 7 are just like restaurants in other Yakuza games. You select the girl, order the food and that's it, no long winded conversations and dates. Conversations have shifted to the party members in the Survivor bar.

After getting the platinum for Yakuza 7, I can say the turn based combat is not that bad, it is quite fun. There is a few problems I have, one of them is that boss battles don't feel as epic as previous games due to the turn based combat. Another thing is that EX-Hard can be annoying. You would think that they would improve the AI by giving them different moves and attacks, nope they just give the enemies triple the health and double the damage and call it a day. And the enemies are level 2 at the start of the game not level 70 when starting Premium New Game ffs.
If its actually a fun turn based RPG I'll have to check it out. The less than impressive bosses and lackluster difficulty scaling is a problem in alot of JRPGs lately, even some of the greats have that problem. But having a turn based RPG at all is a step in the right direction for the genre, seeing as it went almost extinct for like a decade.

• Dumb
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I snatched up Yakuza 0 a couple weeks ago while it was on sale. I've never played a Yakuza game before but I've always wanted to try them.

Probably goes without saying, but 0 is damn good. The story's captivating and the combat is viscerally satisfying. I also like how the open world is handled; it's small, way smaller than open world games of today, but the game makes it feel more alive and intimate. There's a certain joy in turning a corner and just happening on a substory or intervening in a fight. Once I finish 0 (which might take a while; I don't plan on going for 100% but I want to soak in as much as I possibly can), I wanna go straight for Kiwami.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I snatched up Yakuza 0 a couple weeks ago while it was on sale. I've never played a Yakuza game before but I've always wanted to try them.

Probably goes without saying, but 0 is damn good. The story's captivating and the combat is viscerally satisfying. I also like how the open world is handled; it's small, way smaller than open world games of today, but the game makes it feel more alive and intimate. There's a certain joy in turning a corner and just happening on a substory or intervening in a fight. Once I finish 0 (which might take a while; I don't plan on going for 100% but I want to soak in as much as I possibly can), I wanna go straight for Kiwami.
The coolest thing about the world in the Yakuza series is seeing how the neighborhood changes over the course of the series. Having gone from the first game all the way to 6, it was really cool to see things like the park getting dozed and the Kamurocho Hills complex being built and then finished.

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Never really minded but goddamn the encounters in Y3 are really irritating me. Are they in 4 5 and 6 too?

Neurotic Loser

Lurker who needs to Lurk MOAR
kiwifarms.net
Never really minded but goddamn the encounters in Y3 are really irritating me. Are they in 4 5 and 6 too?
Yup, Walking and items are the only way to avoid them.
Edit:- Though in 5 they have a pink textbox above them to signal that they are enemies and in 6 you can just run away.

Last edited:

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
I am now at yakuza 5, and for some reason stopped playing at the part where you need to hunt in the mountains. Don't know why, is it because i'm playing them back to back or is it because i don't like it? I did everything as Kiriyu working as a taxi driver, but it lost something after that.

• Feels

Neurotic Loser

kiwifarms.net
I am now at yakuza 5, and for some reason stopped playing at the part where you need to hunt in the mountains. Don't know why, is it because i'm playing them back to back or is it because i don't like it? I did everything as Kiriyu working as a taxi driver, but it lost something after that.
I get you. Yakuza 5 is oddly paced. Part 1 has brilliant and engaging side content and the main plot has little meaningless fluff.

Part 2 on the otherhand is slow and boring. The prison section lasts too long and then when you escape it has a cool setpiece that gets bogged down by the hunting. Saejima's side missions needed a lot more heart and story put into them in order for them to be engaging and for the game to work. Hunting is slow and, at times, tedious. Also there's no other activity to break the monotony so it becomes dull.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
I get you. Yakuza 5 is oddly paced. Part 1 has brilliant and engaging side content and the main plot has little meaningless fluff.

Part 2 on the otherhand is slow and boring. The prison section lasts too long and then when you escape it has a cool setpiece that gets bogged down by the hunting. Saejima's side missions needed a lot more heart and story put into them in order for them to be engaging and for the game to work. Hunting is slow and, at times, tedious. Also there's no other activity to break the monotony so it becomes dull.
So is it better to skip it for now? I am dragging to see what happens.

Neurotic Loser

kiwifarms.net
So is it better to skip it for now? I am dragging to see what happens.
I'd recommend getting to the city before finishing the hunting side story as that has actual fights in it and you can break the boredom of hunting with the mini games there. With that said, the hunting side mission can become almost relaxing if you change your mindset and treat it like a thing to do while listening to other things. The ending of the side mission is good too, though not as good as the taxi missions.

Reactions: Raiken

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
d
I'd recommend getting to the city before finishing the hunting side story as that has actual fights in it and you can break the boredom of hunting with the mini games there. With that said, the hunting side mission can become almost relaxing if you change your mindset and treat it like a thing to do while listening to other things. The ending of the side mission is good too, though not as good as the taxi missions.
Hunting is also the best way to grind for cash, which is much-needed for the endgame. Golden Deer and Golden Bears bring in huge money.

• Agree
Tags
None