The Yakuza Series - Japan Simulator

yoshitsune

Genpei cowboy
kiwifarms.net
Anyone catch the Xbox stream today showing off gameplay? The English dub is so weird. Not even for the fact that it just sounds wrong in such a Japan centric game, it seems like they just told the actors to go total cornball with it.

The guys streaming it were also the localizers and seemed to suggest that the actual Japanese script is a fair bit different in some ways from the English product. Obviously some stuff isn't going to translate, but I got the impression that they took some liberties. Hopefully they didn't fag it up too bad like a certain other series under the Sega umbrella.
If it's anything like Judgment it'll have two sets of subtitles, one being the English dub subtitle which has some lines fagged up (I think I remember the dub subtitle changing something to not offend troons or fags or any other oppressed waste of skin, don't remember since it's been a while since I played) or English uh... sub subtitle which is close to the source Japanese script.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
If it's anything like Judgment it'll have two sets of subtitles, one being the English dub subtitle which has some lines fagged up (I think I remember the dub subtitle changing something to not offend troons or fags or any other oppressed waste of skin, don't remember since it's been a while since I played) or English uh... sub subtitle which is close to the source Japanese script.
Or as they are commonly called, subtitles and dubtitles.

• Agree
Reactions: yoshitsune

Maurice Caine

The 60's were fun but now I'm paying for it
kiwifarms.net
Pretty far into Yakuza 7. Bleached Japan is just Resetera and the assholes destroying my city in real life. Cathartic to kick their ass and have a game call out this shit.

"Uneducated youths who never worked a real day in their lives, praised for trying to reform their world."
Didn't play it yet, how do the RPG mechanics fare?

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
Just beat Yakuza 0 and loved it, first game in the series I've played. Picked up Like A Dragon and am a few hours into it so far. I don't normally like JRPGs outside of SMT and weird one offs like Lost Odyssey, but so far I like it. Playing with the dub as I honestly think the english VA for Ichi fits the character better than the Jap VA, he sounds more nutball than badass.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
Didn't play it yet, how do the RPG mechanics fare?

It's turn-based but also real-time, in the sense that everyone move rather randomly on their own which may affect the tide of the battle (due of AoE attacks or enemies sometimes able to block you from directly attacking one of their peers) and that you deal more damage to enemies that are down on the ground for a short period of time during your turn. A knocked off enemy sent to the road can also receive huge damage from the traffic and a lot of skills require QTE inputs to have a stronger effect.

It's RGG Studio's first take on RPG mechanics so it can be quite janky (at least the game detects when a character is stuck for too long by teleporting it closer to the target, instead of the game softlocking) and the strength of enemies is sometimes a bit all over the place. Like I could beat a lvl. 44 street enemy with my party on lvl. 30-32 easy-peasy but an elite biker closer to my level or even lower had a higher amount of HP and could hit like a truck.

This game surprised me with how good it is though, which I didn't expect to be because I remember how very aggressive the japanese marketing was in the game news last year. Ichiban is a loveable protag and his party members are all bros. It's basically Dragon Quest with boomers in their 40s (Adachi is closer to 60s) set in a non-magical contemporary setting which is a fresh bowl of air in the JRPG genre. RGG7 also does a much better job of creating a realistic underworld of gangs and crime than the previous games did.

Megaroad 2012

DOWNWARD FUCKING DOG.
kiwifarms.net
Because how bizarre it gets from Ichibans questionable schizophrenia that kicks in chapter 4, I think of Y7 like Mother or the first Persona but with boomers.

And man, older I get, the more I appreciate having a 42 year old dork as a protagonist. Ichiban is totally relatable and it gives mad feels with his talks of never to late to "level up."

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
Good luck to anyone doing the True Final Millennium Tower. Fuck the pimpmaster & ultimate champion with their bullshit health.

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like Ichiban a lot and I think they really have something here. Some of the RPG stuff is a little rough around the edges but it could be really great with minor tweaking in future games.

• Agree
Reactions: Megaroad 2012

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
Enjoying it so far. Main complaints are how unbalanced it is, and how long the cut scenes are. Like mentioned above you get total scrub enemies, then you get these massive damage sponges that take forever to beat for no good reason.

The cutscenes seem to run longer in this game than I remember them going in the previous ones I've played, and they play often. I know the bonding scenes are optional and meant to build backstory, but Goddamn, some of these are endless.

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Enjoying it so far. Main complaints are how unbalanced it is, and how long the cut scenes are. Like mentioned above you get total scrub enemies, then you get these massive damage sponges that take forever to beat for no good reason.

The cutscenes seem to run longer in this game than I remember them going in the previous ones I've played, and they play often. I know the bonding scenes are optional and meant to build backstory, but Goddamn, some of these are endless.

They're only bad compared to the other non JRPG Yakuza entries. Compare it to something like Persona 5 which has like 25+ hours of cutscenes many of them over an hour long and it's not so bad.

And yea the enemies can be a problem. One of the one's I hate is called Skater Boi or something like that. They do crazy amounts of damage for a trash mob and they seem to be programmed to target lower hp units like the bartender lady.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
Just beat Yakuza 0 and loved it, first game in the series I've played. Picked up Like A Dragon and am a few hours into it so far. I don't normally like JRPGs outside of SMT and weird one offs like Lost Odyssey, but so far I like it. Playing with the dub as I honestly think the english VA for Ichi fits the character better than the Jap VA, he sounds more nutball than badass.

I tried the english VA out of curiosity but quickly reverted back because it was kind of unbearable to listen (especially Nanba who you clearly could tell his english VA was just reading off a script for a paycheck due of how deadpan he sounded) not to mention the way it's implemented was rather lazy, since only story-related characters have an english dub and everyone else speaks in japanese. English voice actors also can't sing although this is probably unfair because japanese voice actors are taking a dozen jobs a day and doing other shit on the side, so there's a huge amount of them who have multiple experiences, particularly as vocalists. Akiyama's VA has been singing since the 80s, Kiryu's VA has his own music band, Saejima's VA has several live performances like the one you can watch below.

In contrast, most english voice actors aren't doing anything other than playing characters, and even then they never really get told to do anything that could let them develop their talents any further.

And from what I've seen from user comments, there seems to be a big disparity in the story script between english/japanese to the point it can even affect certain characters' motives.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
One of the one's I hate is called Skater Boi or something like that. They do crazy amounts of damage for a trash mob and they seem to be programmed to target lower hp units like the bartender lady.
Did you recruit Kyle? His rifle can land crits on those types of mobs.

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I tried the english VA out of curiosity but quickly reverted back because it was kind of unbearable to listen (especially Nanba who you clearly could tell his english VA was just reading off a script for a paycheck due of how deadpan he sounded) not to mention the way it's implemented was rather lazy, since only story-related characters have an english dub and everyone else speaks in japanese. English voice actors also can't sing although this is probably unfair because japanese voice actors are taking a dozen jobs a day and doing other shit on the side, so there's a huge amount of them who have multiple experiences, particularly as vocalists. Akiyama's VA has been singing since the 80s, Kiryu's VA has his own music band, Saejima's VA has several live performances like the one you can watch below.

In contrast, most english voice actors aren't doing anything other than playing characters, and even then they never really get told to do anything that could let them develop their talents any further.

And from what I've seen from user comments, there seems to be a big disparity in the story script between english/japanese to the point it can even affect certain characters' motives.

Isn't Namba supposed to be very nonchalant and world weary? I though his English VA fit his character perfectly.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Prepare for the ultimate flavor...
kiwifarms.net
I started playing Kiwami not long after finishing off 0. While I really enjoy it, there are parts of it that feel kinda off. Maybe it's because I've never played the original, but there are certain aspects of it that throw me for a loop.

Take the Majima Everywhere mechanic, which portrays him as some goofball trying desperately to get a serious fight out of Kiryu, going so far as to dress as a woman at a hostess club just to get at him. Meanwhile the story cutscenes present him as a dangerous, unhinged maniac. And there's weird discrepancies too; take the fight in the baseball stadium where Majima gets a knife to the gut and is then taken to the hospital. I assume that after this scene in the original he isn't seen for a while (I wouldn't know, I haven't finished Kiwami yet) but in Kiwami he's still wandering about town hoping to ambush Kiryu. It feels off somehow, like there's a disconnect between Majima in the story and Majima in the overworld.

That said I really enjoy the story, and I like that they added dialogue to reference 0, which made going from 0 to Kiwami feel seamless. And the side content's still as engaging as ever, if not moreso. I still love exploring the city and finding bizarre substories. And I really love the combat; even after 40 hours of 0 I never get tired of Kiryu's Heat finishers. It's just the remake makes me want to seek out the original at some point just to compare and contrast.

• Agree
Reactions: dunbrine47

albert chan

I am a beautiful dark twisted kiwi
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just found out the recent Yakuza game was nominated for the Best RPG at the Game Awards 2020.

On one hand, I want it to win because it was probably one of the more interesting games to come out this year, next to Ghosts of Tsushima. Though, on the other hand, I’m still mixed on whether or not I want to acknowledge the fact that the Yakuza series is now a turn-based RPG. Maybe it’s just me overthinking it.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Take the Majima Everywhere mechanic, which portrays him as some goofball trying desperately to get a serious fight out of Kiryu, going so far as to dress as a woman at a hostess club just to get at him. Meanwhile the story cutscenes present him as a dangerous, unhinged maniac. And there's weird discrepancies too; take the fight in the baseball stadium where Majima gets a knife to the gut and is then taken to the hospital. I assume that after this scene in the original he isn't seen for a while (I wouldn't know, I haven't finished Kiwami yet) but in Kiwami he's still wandering about town hoping to ambush Kiryu. It feels off somehow, like there's a disconnect between Majima in the story and Majima in the overworld.
The Majima Everywhere is exclusive to Kiwami and yeah it does fuck with the flow of Majima's role in the main story because he had a lot less presence in the original so now you're dealing with him when you probably shouldn't be fighting him because the game has to let you advance the system they crammed in. Plus he was more villainous in his original appearance too, but those traits got pushed to the side as he became popular Majima actually beats his underling to death at the baseball stadium in the original cutscene

Duncan Hills Coffee

Prepare for the ultimate flavor...
kiwifarms.net
The Majima Everywhere is exclusive to Kiwami and yeah it does fuck with the flow of Majima's role in the main story because he had a lot less presence in the original so now you're dealing with him when you probably shouldn't be fighting him because the game has to let you advance the system they crammed in. Plus he was more villainous in his original appearance too, but those traits got pushed to the side as he became popular
I know that Majima Everywhere is a new addition to Kiwami, and it's kind of distracting if I'm being honest. It can be fun, I enjoyed the hostess club encounter for just how off-the-wall it is, but it's just so counter to Majima's role in the story. During the story cutscenes, it feels as though Kiryu and Majima have a cold relationship towards each other as if they're constantly sizing each other up, but during the Majima Everywhere encounters there's a strange camaraderie between the two that I just don't buy considering the kind of shit Majima does during cutscenes.

Majima actually beats his underling to death at the baseball stadium in the original cutscene
This is funny to me because of the whole "Majima/Kiryu have never killed anyone" meme that you see everywhere.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
Isn't Namba supposed to be very nonchalant and world weary? I though his English VA fit his character perfectly.

Nanba is dry but he's also a grouch and literally homeless, and he jokes with Ichiban and friends all the time. He doesn't sound like he's going to shoot himself and that every day is total misery, it's more like he's just getting by and doing his best with a bad situation. He's even super happy getting that "500 yen coin" in the beginning for example. In the english voice acting, it's like the most exciting thing that could possibly happen to him is taking a bullet straight to the head.

I'll give points for Ichiban's english VA for trying his best but he's nowhere as energetic and smug as his JP counterpart.

I started playing Kiwami not long after finishing off 0. While I really enjoy it, there are parts of it that feel kinda off. Maybe it's because I've never played the original, but there are certain aspects of it that throw me for a loop.

That said I really enjoy the story, and I like that they added dialogue to reference 0, which made going from 0 to Kiwami feel seamless. And the side content's still as engaging as ever, if not moreso. I still love exploring the city and finding bizarre substories. And I really love the combat; even after 40 hours of 0 I never get tired of Kiryu's Heat finishers. It's just the remake makes me want to seek out the original at some point just to compare and contrast.

Yakuza Kiwami is personally one of my most disliked remakes, with the Majima Everywhere stuff undermining the character like you've described and the massive amount of grind required to unlock/boost the fighting styles. For instance in the original game, Komaki teaches you several techniques that can be unlocked through story progression, but in Kiwami he won't teach anything unless you bring several wood carvings that are gained by grinding away in the underground coliseum for hours. The grind is also obligatory to face the secret boss Jo Amon which wasn't the case in the original game. The Majima Everywhere grind was even more annoying imo since several dots in the Dragon tree required to fight a certain Majima type randomly spawned on Kamurocho.

I also really disliked this crappy mechanism of bosses often regenerating themselves which forced me to gulp down stamina drinks to get out from a drawn-out fight

Last edited:
Tags
None