The Yakuza Series - Japan Simulator

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

soryu

Jerry Mouse
kiwifarms.net
I'm interested in what 7 has in store. I like this bold direction they're going in. The physics based combat, which started in Yakuza 6, was already different to how it used to be in the previous games, but this is a whole new genre. I welcome it. I think this also may be a sign Nagoshi wants the audience to focus more on Judgment. Probably a little tired of continuing the Yakuza storyline.

Zaryiu

No one important
kiwifarms.net
Are the remasters of 3, 4 and 5 worth buying? I just saw the collection that has them on psn a few hours ago

A

AZ 594

kiwifarms.net
Are the remasters of 3, 4 and 5 worth buying? I just saw the collection that has them on psn a few hours ago
AFAIK, if your buying that, you're only getting 3 for now untill the other games get released at a later date. Otherwise, if you like Yakuza, you can't miss. Just be prepared for the fact that they will play similar to what it was when it was released, rather than the updated gameplay Kiwami 1/2 were, so it will take some getting used to if you aren't familiar with how it was like back then.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Majima was the best part of Dead Souls, but Ryuji managing to survive his wounds at the end of 2 and retiring to become a takoyaki chef with a cybernetic arm that transforms into a Gatling gun cannot be undervalued! He’s a close second place to Majima!

That said, Majima in the hostess club is the funniest shit they’ve ever done in the series.

broilerrx

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So as an update to Yakuza 4 on PS4, they made the AI far more aggressive than what it was on PS3. This is especially noticeable in fights against groups, where they will absolutely fuck your shit up, if you're not careful. Once again, devilleon7's recent videos dealing with Long Battles highlights this nicely.

As a note, I'm holding out on getting them until there's concrete word on whether or not we'll be getting a PC port of the collection.

As for Yakuza 7 going turn-based, I do understand why a section of the fanbase isn't too happy, considering that it seems like good beat 'em ups like Yakuza are a rarity compared to turn-based RPGs. Personally, I'm liking what I see so far. Granted, I am partial to turn-based RPGs in general. I'm just hoping that if Yakuza stays this course, another game, or at least a spinoff, will fill the vacuum for that good beat 'em up that Yakuza provided so well.

Now, this is a wild fucking dream, one that will never happen, but if they got Dick Masterson as a substory character for a future Yakuza game, that would be fucking baller. Big, long-haired half-Mexican touring Japan in search of Hitomi Tanaka. Fuck you all, a manchild can dream!

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
I'd say I find it weird, but after six games of some form of action RPG combat, I'd be willing to give a TBS Yakuza game a shot.
What also sells me on it, is that the main character(whose name escapes me) is just a nutjob imagining all that RPG shit happening because he's just really into Dragon Quest. That's a funny gimmick

• Agree
Reactions: broilerrx

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
What also sells me on it, is that the main character(whose name escapes me) is just a nutjob imagining all that RPG shit happening because he's just really into Dragon Quest. That's a funny gimmick
And they're being awesome/hilarious about it.

I'm guessing this is what Ichiban is seeing before he fights Kiryu.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Finished Yakuza 6, it's kind of an underwhelming ending to the series. My biggest criticism is that it doesn't feel like a finale, the majority of the series characters barely appear in the game, including Kamurocho which you spend far less time in compared to a small town in Okinawa. The story itself, while not bad on its own, doesn't feel like it concludes anything. The writers wanted to make a game about themes of family but it isn't as pronounced as it should be.
The combat is nice (but it misses a lot of variety) and I wish they incorporated the clan battles into the ending.

Edit: I think the biggest miss of the game is in the main antagonist, which isn't really connected to Kiryu, barely appears in the plot and isn't thematically connected to him. There is another character that is more similar to Kiryu in his past that could have been used far better as an antagonist.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Pointandlaugh

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
Just got Dead Souls today. A.K.A You only stay for the Majima.
I'll be honest, I enjoyed Dead Souls more than Judgment. Judgment has left a sour taste regarding the gameplay department. I enjoyed the story but the game was poorly paced. Want to progress in the story, sorry no lets throw another side mission and mini game to pad out the length. Majority of the side missions were just follow this guy around the same block and then chase him. The signs were there in Lost Paradise.

I'm going to wait for the translated version of 7. I hope 7 doesn't suffer from pacing issues like Judgment.

So as an update to Yakuza 4 on PS4, they made the AI far more aggressive than what it was on PS3. This is especially noticeable in fights against groups, where they will absolutely fuck your shit up, if you're not careful. Once again, devilleon7's recent videos dealing with Long Battles highlights this nicely.
It shows in Saejima's section especially when Saito shows up. As for Tanimura's final fight, it's not that bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Detrogen

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I've played 2 games in this series, the PS2 original and Yakuza 0.

The trouble with both games for me was they really start to drag after a point and go on for too long, the combat gets incredibly repetitive after a point and the games just keep going and going, just when you think you're about finished there's another level or two.

0 was especially hard to finish by the end, while the story remained very well done and interesting throughout, which is the only reason I was able to finish it, the gameplay was a complete slog by the end, I was so tired of button mashing beating endless mooks, I'm impressed with myself that I managed to see the end credits really.

I feel like for starters they really don't need the random street battles or at least less of them and could maybe stand to lose a level or two for a tighter experience with less fat.

Despite all that I still liked the games and I'm glad I finished them, but it makes me hesitant to play another, even though part of me wants to go crazy and play the whole series thanks to the re-releases.

They definitely have their high points but damn does the combat get old, that's why I'm glad to hear 7 changes things up.

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest, I enjoyed Dead Souls more than Judgment. Judgment has left a sour taste regarding the gameplay department. I enjoyed the story but the game was poorly paced. Want to progress in the story, sorry no lets throw another side mission and mini game to pad out the length. Majority of the side missions were just follow this guy around the same block and then chase him. The signs were there in Lost Paradise.
I adored Dead Souls. As a weird spin-off with the same characters, there’s obviously a lot of love thrown in.

That said, I couldn’t even finish Judgement. It had some of the least enjoyable side quests in the series and the main character’s combat styles simply were not fun.

The remastered collection reminded of how smooth and fast the series’ combat was before the dragon engine.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
I adored Dead Souls. As a weird spin-off with the same characters, there’s obviously a lot of love thrown in.

That said, I couldn’t even finish Judgement. It had some of the least enjoyable side quests in the series and the main character’s combat styles simply were not fun.

The remastered collection reminded of how smooth and fast the series’ combat was before the dragon engine.
The main problem of Dead Souls was the atrocious framerate on the original hardware, Heat Action QTEs could be hard to get on time due of this and any situation with more than 5 or 8 zombies would send you to sub-15fps. The last car chase with Kiryu could lock yourself from completing a Legend difficulty run if you didnt craft the best armor before diving into the quarantine zone.

I might give another run through RPCS3.

broilerrx

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The main problem of Dead Souls was the atrocious framerate on the original hardware, Heat Action QTEs could be hard to get on time due of this and any situation with more than 5 or 8 zombies would send you to sub-15fps. The last car chase with Kiryu could lock yourself from completing a Legend difficulty run if you didnt craft the best armor before diving into the quarantine zone.

I might give another run through RPCS3.
If they did a HD version on PS4 and PC with a stable framerate, and reworked controls (I heard the controls were ass), I imagine it would be better received than its original PS3 version. Though considering how it went over in the west, I doubt they would, sadly.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
If they did a HD version on PS4 and PC with a stable framerate, and reworked controls (I heard the controls were ass), I imagine it would be better received than its original PS3 version. Though considering how it went over in the west, I doubt they would, sadly.
Aside from the issues with the gameplay, a lot of the fans who have no sense of humour hated how silly the game is. Fuck them, the whole thing was just a fun side story. Also, there’s a lot of bad feelings, because that game failing to sell is why SEGA declared Yakuza was dead in the west, and it took basically a miracle for us to ever see 5.

Tags
None