Things That Disappeared Without You Noticing -

Maskull

fugpostin
kiwifarms.net
Growing up there was cigarette litter everywhere you went in the city. Even on sleepy streets gutters would be lined with them in varying states of decay. It’s something that I am almost nostalgic for as well seeing posters nailed or stapled to near every utility pole. In places where I live there are still poles with thousands of decades old staples which whenever I see leaves me wistful for a time not long lost.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
We still have Fruitopia in Canada the same way we still have more than two Toys R' Us stores open in the entire country.

In places where I live there are still poles with thousands of decades old staples which whenever I see leaves me wistful for a time not long lost.
IMG_5852.JPG
Picture is from November 2017, I think this telephone pole has since been removed as part of the Elgin Street redevelopment project.

Last edited:

dookerbewitt

Currently fronting: how it feels to chew 5 gum
kiwifarms.net
Those chintzy plastic dishes you could get from McD's and the like, usually Disney branded. Sure we've got loud advertising everywhere now but I remember bonding with my mom over collecting every exclusive Hercules plate we could find. It was useful and cute, you know? Even if you probably shouldn't eat off of that cheap plastic design. My Lion King cups were some of my prized possessions. I can't recall the last time I've seen something like that you could get at a fast food joint.

JoyQ

knife emoji knife emoji
kiwifarms.net
Dr. Snapple in glass bottles. Fuckers, it was the bottle that made the drink, (also they have as much sugar as coke, do noy boy.) Sobe is another one that in theory still exists but fuck if I ever see it around these days.
I used to love the fruit punch Snapple’s in glass bottles. They’re were so good. Nothing has ever had that bizarre tang to it that Snapple’s did.

I still see SoBes in plastic bottles at stores but they are mostly opaque liquids and look really odd rather than the normal see through liquids I saw as a kid.

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
It's usually stores for me. Circuit city, Radio Shack, Thrifty (although they still make ice cream) and I have no idea when Alpha-Beta bit the dust but it had to have been a long long time ago. (I think it became Ralph's) They all just sort of slipped away in the night like an elderly person dying in their sleep.
Now that you mention it, I actually have no idea if my local Radio Shack is still there or not.

Those chintzy plastic dishes you could get from McD's and the like, usually Disney branded. Sure we've got loud advertising everywhere now but I remember bonding with my mom over collecting every exclusive Hercules plate we could find. It was useful and cute, you know? Even if you probably shouldn't eat off of that cheap plastic design. My Lion King cups were some of my prized possessions. I can't recall the last time I've seen something like that you could get at a fast food joint.
Holy crap, that’s a good one. I haven’t seen promotional dishes or glassware in ages, and those things used to be so common. I think the last one I remember seeing anywhere was the big Coca-Cola ice cream float glasses at McDonald's, and even that was several years ago.

On a related note: Those Welch's jelly jars with cartoon characters printed on them that were meant to be re-used as juice glasses. When did they stop doing that?

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Mailboxes. The big blue ones. They used to be on every corner and just a few years ago I realized it was a lot harder to find them. Maybe it's still a thing in large cities, I don't know, but everywhere I've lived they just up and disappeared.
Saw one out of sight in Fredericksburg, Texas a few months ago. But they're usually within eyesight of a post office, probably because some hooligan was breaking into to them.
Public payphones. Lived in 3 states over the past year and still haven't seen them. I can see the discoloration on the wall where they used to be, or sometimes the enclosed privacy box is there but no phone.
For this, I blame a lack of revenue from cell phones replacing them.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Venom energy drinks.

People keep telling me they're still around, yet I haven't seen them in almost a decade. I'm not big on energy drinks to begin with, but I used to love those. Would like to have a Black Mamba again for old times sake.

Speaking of old times sake, I miss being able to channel my inner goth with Djarum Black clove cigarettes. They still sell the Djarum cigarillos, but they're not the same. Used to buy a carton of Djarums and a few cases of Horde/Alliance game fuel and pass them out like a neckbeard Santa before each Saturday night D&D session.
Venom Energy Drink is still around but it's very much a regional brand and it's only in the cans instead of the old metal bottles. You can find it in the coalfields of Appalachia in Southwestern Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, and Southern West Virginia. I've also seen it in Northeast Tennessee and the High Country of North Carolina as well too. Every time I visit my relatives, I make sure to buy a can of Venom since it's only 99 cents a pop

Love the Killer Taipan flavor, used to drink that all the time when I was 12-13.

For me, nothing says "Summer and Fall of 2005" like Venom Energy Drink, Mountain Dew Code Red, playing PS2, and watching InuYasha, Ghost in the Shell, and Fullmetal Alchemist on Adult Swim.

Another thing I miss are video arcades. I missed the late 80's/early 90's heyday where you had a stand-alone arcade on every street corner, but I do remember that even in the late 90's and early 2000's, most malls had an arcade and arcades were all over the more tourist trap towns like Branson, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, or Myrtle Beach.

Another thing that I noticed was missing all of a sudden was nudity in R-rated movies, especially horror movies. I wouldn't say I miss it per se, but its sudden absence was jarring. Used to be that nudity was a staple of 70's, 80's, and 90's horror movies and of 2000's premium cable.

I'd say a lot of these changes had to do with the "culture war" BS of the 2010's but there seems to have been a wider backlash against nudity and sex in movies and premium cable TV in general.

The last major mainstream movies and shows to have a lot of pointless nudity that I remember are Game of Thrones, Shameless, and The Wolf of Wall Street.

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
When I was younger I looked forward to going to blockbuster to watch some new movies with my family. While not particularly special as a place, I have a fond memory of it.

Same here. In highschool me and two or three of my best buddies would go to Blockbuster on a Friday night and load up on DVDs and junk food. Definite nostalgia there, even though at the time they were absolute shit to deal with.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was younger I looked forward to going to blockbuster to watch some new movies with my family. While not particularly special as a place, I have a fond memory of it.
Video stores in general were awesome.

Oddly enough, I never went to a Blockbuster Video in my entire life.

For me, it was mainly Movie Starz, Hollywood Video, and local mom and pop video stores.

Tags
None