Things That Disappeared Without You Noticing -

Mr. Bung

Alles klar herr kommissar?
kiwifarms.net
Quiznos was THE SHIT and 100 times better than Subway, then they started disappearing and disappearing...Chevy's Fresh Mex was also a great restaurant and to this day probably has the best salsa I've had but they're also much fewer and farther between these days.

Syaoran Li

The Man In Black
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something that isn't everywhere anymore is pinball machines and arcade games. Gone are the days of going to a random corner store or gas station to buy something and spotting an Operation: Wolf machine in the back next to the Elvira pinball table. Arcade games used to be everywhere.
This.

Hell, I remember that even the big box chain stores like Wal-Mart and Big Lots would have arcade machines near the front entrance.

Big Lots had Lethal Enforcers II and I think one of the Street Fighter games, while Wal-Mart had one of those racing arcade games, plus the Jurassic Park light gun game, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and one of those deer-hunting lightgun games.

They still have the claw machines though, but I think that's because Claw Machines are like the one type of arcade game that has never really gone away to begin with.

Other things I miss are Kmart and Magic Mart.

Magic Mart was basically a weird mix between a Wal-Mart and a Big Lots, and for some reason the one where I used to live also had an area near the sporting goods section that sold katanas, medieval swords, fancy knives, and all sorts of mall ninja shit for really cheap.

Best part was that the clerk usually never checked for ID, so I was able to buy a $10 wakizashi sword when I was 13.

South American Tapir

Dumb people haul trash around
kiwifarms.net
A lot of Walmarts still have a game center, though they're more than likely inoperable due to COVID-19.

Most of them are filled with games of chance to win toys, though one of my local Walmarts has a Batman game where you drive the Batmobile and shoot at villains.

They unfortunately don't have classic arcade games anymore. The last Street Fighter cabinet I saw in a place that wasn't an arcade was Street Fighter Alpha at a roller rink, that's also no longer around.

• Agree
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Local Fed

RIP snailslime
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm no longer able to find dill pickle chips (like what you'd have on a burger) in stores. It's been about a decade since I stopped seeing them. I can find bread and butter chips with ease, dill pickle slices or whole pickles, etc. without a problem but I can't find dill chips. It doesn't matter if I go to a grocery store or into Walmart or whatever, they haven't had them in a long time. It's weird. I don't know if it's just some odd Canada thing or what the deal is.

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm no longer able to find dill pickle chips (like what you'd have on a burger) in stores. It's been about a decade since I stopped seeing them. I can find bread and butter chips with ease, dill pickle slices or whole pickles, etc. without a problem but I can't find dill chips. It doesn't matter if I go to a grocery store or into Walmart or whatever, they haven't had them in a long time. It's weird. I don't know if it's just some odd Canada thing or what the deal is.
Might be some weird Canadia thing, my state boarders Canada and gets a fair amount of Canadian shoppers, and we still have them.

• Informative
Reactions: Local Fed

Gaius Caesar

kiwifarms.net
Every grocery store used to have a section in the candy aisle with a bunch of candy dispensers and paper bags and you could fill the bag with individual candies from one of the dispensers and buy it by weight. I'm guessing those went away for both liability and food safety reasons. The way I recall them it wouldn't have been too difficult to fuck with the candy. Most of the candy wasn't even individually wrapped. I don't think I've seen one since the mid-80s.
I remember them at least into the mid-90s where I grew up, that was the only place I could ever get those root beer barrel candies.

saralovesjuicyfruit

kiwifarms.net
Around the turn of the millennium Pepsi Twist came out and disappeared within a year. I forgot about it for years and randomly came across it in a Eastern European market. That shit is delicious. Unfortunately, as soon as I had rediscovered it, it disappeared once again. Now every time I drink Pepsi I have to squeeze lemon into it.
I remember the way they advertised that using The Osmonds and The Osbournes

Azafran90

Sexiest cenobite "alive"
kiwifarms.net
I can think of a few Mexican things...

A candy named "vikingos" that wasn't sweet at all, but I loved to binge on them.

And toy aisles in shops, I remember a local chain having another store worth of toys inside.

Mutilated corpses on the streets and gunfight between narco cartels, I don't get to hear about those in my area anymore...

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Amazon Basics headphone extension cords were not available last time I checked.

A few different manga series I never finished sudden;y went out print and volumes became incredibly expensive, which sucks (but at least there's scans of course)

Does anyone remember a candy called Muddy Bears? They were chocolate covered gummy bears and I haven't seen any in years.

Aberforth

kiwifarms.net
Fiery Habanero Doritos. I had started eating healthier, so my chip consumption became infrequent. Damn you, healthy eating. Stop distracting me from my fiery beloved.

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
On the topic of arcades, I remember when my local Taco Bell had a legit game room. With the colorful carpeting, tickets and a glass display of prizes. Was that common with Taco Bells or just that one? They phased it out long ago.

Amazon Basics headphone extension cords were not available last time I checked.

A few different manga series I never finished sudden;y went out print and volumes became incredibly expensive, which sucks (but at least there's scans of course)

Does anyone remember a candy called Muddy Bears? They were chocolate covered gummy bears and I haven't seen any in years.
I used to enjoy a manga series that wasn’t fully published in English years ago (still isn’t done), so I read it from a scanlator. Over 100 chapters. I went back to try reading it again and it’s nowhere. Scrubbed off the Internet. I feel like English scanlation sites to read manga were more prolific back in the day.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
On the topic of arcades, I remember when my local Taco Bell had a legit game room. With the colorful carpeting, tickets and a glass display of prizes. Was that common with Taco Bells or just that one? They phased it out long ago.

I used to enjoy a manga series that wasn’t fully published in English years ago (still isn’t done), so I read it from a scanlator. Over 100 chapters. I went back to try reading it again and it’s nowhere. Scrubbed off the Internet. I feel like English scanlation sites to read manga were more prolific back in the day.
there's a lot of aggregate sites and whatnot. Gimme the name.

Tags
None