Things that scared the shit out of you as a little kid. -

Were you scared of the dark as a kid?

• Yeah.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • Lol no.

Votes: 45 15.1%
  • I was scared of the things that I thought I saw in the dark.

Votes: 190 63.5%

• Total voters

DocHoliday1977

Mentally Disabled Schizoposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Swans.

Tp this day I despise the very existence of swans. They're violent, irrational, territorial, and downright jerks. For you see, when I was a wee bagronklekid I was chased by a swan around a lake for lord knows how long. Bagronklepop laughs up a storm about it to this day...

I don't remember the event all that much as I had a smooth child brain but I still remember it on a visceral emotional level. All it takes is to see a swan and the 'drenaline starts a goin.

Fuckin jerkbirds.

Lmao. Oh so funny.

Basic Block

Basically a block
kiwifarms.net
The Bus Conductor from one of the Sylvester McCoy Doctor Who stories:

Bus_Conductor.jpg

• Feels
Reactions: Count groudon

Demon King

Cynical Ruminator
kiwifarms.net
As a kid, I was scared of the dark. Not for any pussy reason. I had chronic night terrors for 10+ years straight when I was a kid (yeah abuse). They only went away when I learned to lucid dream. The fear stemmed from my dreams, and giving me something like PTSD when I was awake due to remembering my dreams. I had some dark fucking dreams as a 7 year old and on. Like blood raining from the sky, and flesh and blood hail. Skeletons, and monsters. Shit straight outta Silent hill, before it existed. Being killed often, or tortured. Doesn't help that my dreams are very metaphorical as well.

Then there was darkness. I could always feel it coming, similar to a panic attack in the dream. I would feel like I was having a seizure while conscious when it enveloped me. Just imagined being stuck unable to see or move (similar to sleep paralysis), and feeling like your are being electrocuted and tickled at the same time (I am ticklish, idk if non-ticklish people can relate.) Like someone digging their fingers into your stomach). The only think that would alleviate it somewhat, was arching my back/sticking my navel out while I was stuck in that sensation. This phenomena bothered me, because no matter what I did. Screaming, yelling. Non of it translated to the real world. Then when I actually woke up, I knew running to my parents wouldn't even be an option. They would just mock me for being weak, and tell me to fuck off.

This also resulted in my trying to overcome the fear later on in my life as a 19 year old. I would isolate myself in the dark, and go to bed until I stopped being afraid. It worked, but as a result I acquired a new problem. Hypnagogic hallucinations. Aka sleep paralysis, but you can move around and think you are awake. That shit is confusing as fuck, because you can be totally convinced of a hallucination. God knows how many times I almost shot my cat, because it scratching at the door sounded like a break in.

Doctor Placebo

Somebody asked for brains?
kiwifarms.net
Some of the stuff in Jumanji (the original) scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. The monkeys, the killer plants, and Van Pelt in particular.

1584374770928.png

For the monkeys, I think part of it is their effects don't look as good as the other animals in the movie. Nowadays it's just bad CGI, but to a little kid in those days it had a freaky, uncanny valley effect. Especially when they're in motion, they just look wrong.

As if those freaky vines following the protagonists everywhere wasn't bad enough, they also started sprouting giant, man eating pods and poison barb throwing flowers later in the movie. These things probably do the most actual damage and are the most persistent threat of anything in the movie. Hell, they basically kill Kirsten Dunst. The only reason she survives is because the game gets undone at the end. Pretty brutal for a kid's film.

Van Pelt.gif

He had a couple of comedic moments, but I was too busy being freaked out by how unstoppable he was. Van Pelt is about the closest thing you can get in a kid's movie to the T-1000, which also scared the shit out of me when I was a slightly older kid.

Overall I still loved the movie. The scary stuff just made it that much more exciting.

Last edited:

Duncan Hills Coffee

Bleach is healthy.
kiwifarms.net
The PS2 startup screen always kinda freaked me out because it's nothing but a dark blue void with strange sound effects and the game would always start with you falling into the bottomless emptiness, but this shit scared me because it was just endlessly falling into a hellish abyss, almost as if the system itself was angry at you.

Autumnal Equinox

Dinsdale!
kiwifarms.net
Some of the stuff in Jumanji (the original) scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. The monkeys, the killer plants, and Van Pelt in particular.

View attachment 1190503
For the monkeys, I think part of it is their effects don't look as good as the other animals in the movie. Nowadays it's just bad CGI, but to a little kid in those days it had a freaky, uncanny valley effect. Especially when they're in motion, they just look wrong.

As if those freaky vines following the protagonists everywhere wasn't bad enough, they also started sprouting giant, man eating pods and poison barb throwing flowers later in the movie. These things probably do the most actual damage and are the most persistent threat of anything in the movie. Hell, they basically kill Kirsten Dunst. The only reason she survives is because the game gets undone at the end. Pretty brutal for a kid's film.

View attachment 1190508

He had a couple of comedic moments, but I was too busy being freaked out by how unstoppable he was. Van Pelt is about the closest thing you can get in a kid's movie to the T-1000, which also scared the shit out of me when I was a slightly older kid.

Overall I still loved the movie. The scary stuff just made it that much more exciting.

Robin Williams going serious and talking about his time in the jungle always creeped me out as a kid.

"There are things out there in the dark beyond your nightmares, you hear something scream...and then you hear it eating, and you pray you're not next. Afraid? You don't know what afraid is."

Guts Gets Some

kiwifarms.net

This for one, really startled me, to the point I almost feared it happening while sitting on it. I was 5 or so.

And this shitty movie bothered me so much, I had to ask my grandpa for us to leave halfway through and I spent the rest of the day in bed, freaking out with a fever or something. And I would fear getting up at night, imagining those Martians.

I can kinda see why now; the body horror, the appalling graphics only making it look worse; which is ironic as now I love something like Berserk; but for a kid, this is like a night terror or something. At least for me.

Last edited:

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
When I was 4, I went out of bed to go to the restroom. I walked in on my parents when they were watching The Killing Fields in the living room. During the scene where the Cambodian journalist was stumbling through a field of rotting corpses. That gave me nightmares for months. Still was a brutal scene when I saw it as an adult, actually.

oldTireWater

Incompetent as fuck
kiwifarms.net
As a kid I was terrified of volcanos and scorpions. Our house was built on malpais, and there were cinder cones all around us. I didn't get over the first one until I was old enough to trust geology. I got over the scorpion thing when I found one on my bed, and realized it wasn't that big a deal.

Also, The Exorcist is not a good movie for little kids to see.

Robert James

Turning your night terrors into reality
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at the Detroit zoo, issue is they let Peacocks run free and they are insanely aggressive. I was chased around quite a bit and developed a pretty bad phobia of large birds. I also developed a fear of dead birds when I was young after I kicked one of the damned peacocks killed it and spent 6 Hours being yelled at by my parents, the Zoo officials, and parents that saw me kill the bitch.

I'm mostly over it know but it fucking took a while to get over it.

Pitere pit

Has man gone insane?
kiwifarms.net
When I was kid I used to fear dogs, 10 years later I love this man's best friend.
Another of my childhood's fears was the Large Hadron Collider and its ability to create a black hole. Right now I'm thinking that it would have been better for this spinning rock to be swallowed by a black hole than to suffer this clown world.

Tags
None