Careercow Thomas Astruc / "Thomas Ass-Truck" - Egotistical creator of a subpar French cartoon with an unhealthy grudge against a fictional character he created. AKA, Andrew Dobson if he was actually successful

Captain Marvelous

Hade ni ikuze!
kiwifarms.net
Ever wonder what Andrew Dobson would be like if he was a successful French jerk? Boy, do I have the Lolcow for you.
Thomas Astruc.jpg

Thomas Astruc is a French animator best known for the animated series Miraculous Ladybug. Before you ask, yes, this is the show Andrew Dobson loved to draw lesbian fanart of before he left the internet. The show follows two superheroes, Ladybug and Cat Noir fighting to defend the city of Paris from the evil Hawkmoth, who wants to use the source of their powers, magical jewelry called the Miraculous, for his own goals. Another driving force of the series is the "Love Square". While Marinette, Ladybug's civilian identity is in love with Adrien, Cat Noir's civilian identity, Adrien is actually in love with Ladybug, and only sees Marientte as a good friend while neither of them know the other's secret. It's kind of like the "will they or won't they" dynamic between Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask in the first season of Sailor Moon., only stretched out throughout the entire show. And before you ask, yes, a lot of people are growing tired and want the reveal to happen already.

The show is currently on its fourth season with about 87 episodes at the time of this post, and it has amassed a huge fandom online full of shippers, fanartists, and writers. While there have been several debates on which ship is "the best" or which episodes are good and which are bad, a majority of the Miraculous Ladybug fandom ironically isn't a fan of the show's creator, Thomas Astruc.

Much like Andrew Dobson, Astruc is notorious for being bad when it comes to taking criticism. Whenever anyone has a problem with his work, he'll either call them sexist, say they don't understand like kids do, say he was "sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS", or claim his show can't be judged because it hasn't finished airing yet.
Astruc Chat Sexist.png
Astruc Survey.png

Astruc Partial Knowledge.png
Astruc Subvert.jpg

It got to the point where there was an episode where he had a self-insert appear in the show.
Thomas astruc animated.png

The episode followed Astruc's self-insert being the director of an animated movie based off Ladybug and Cat Noir, and nobody bothered to show any respect to him, supposedly reflecting the criticism he gets online. There was even a scene where Ladybug pointed out an inaccuracy from one of the movie's trailers, and Astruc tells the real-life person the movie is based on that she's being unfair for judging it before she even saw it. That's like making a movie about the Vietnam War, and brushing off a veteran's complaints that it isn't realistic. It doesn't matter, because Marinette blindly praises him for no reason by the end of the episode.

When he's not insulting anyone who has a mild complaint with his show, Astruc has a habit of saying that Miraculous Ladybug is like this work of art that is far superior to other pieces of media or claiming that he's this amazing writer and gets superhero media.
Mark Millar.jpg
Astruc Superman.jpg

He's even said on two separate occasions that Miraculous Ladybug is better than any film made by Pixar. Yes, the creator of a CGI animated series has insulted one of the earliest pioneers of CGI animation. It goes to show how humble he is.
Astruc Pixar.png
Astruc Soul.jpg

He wouldn't be a Lolcow if he didn't hate the evil orange man, even though he's from another country and isn't affected by him in the slightest. Granted, he hasn't talked about politics as much since Biden got inaugurated, but he still gives his opinion on certain political topics like the climate change debate. Because everyone knows a French animator is the expert when it comes to stuff like that.
Screenshot (1357).png
Screenshot (1361).png

Screenshot (1358).png

Astruc Trump.jpg

But easily the most perplexing thing about Thomas Astruc is the attitude he has towards one of the characters in his show, Chloe Bourgeois. In the first season, Chloe was a standard bully and secondary antagonist for the civilian subplots, kind of like Bulk and Skull from the original Power Rangers. However, in the second season, there was more of an attempt to develop her character by making her a superhero like Ladybug and Cat Noir. Granted, she still defaulted back to stereotypical mean girl, but you could still see some character growth with her. Then in the third season finale, Chloe betrayed the heroes, and Astruc said that he had planned for her to be irredeemable the whole time.
Astruc Irredeemable.jpg
Astruc Damnation Arc.png

That episode aired in October of 2019, and for the last year and a half, Astruc has constantly insulted anyone on Twitter who wanted Chloe to actually get a redemption arc and not what he calls a "damnation arc". Just last month, he actually compared people who like Chloe to ABUSE AND RAPE APOLOGISTS. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.
Astruc Rape.jpg
Astruc Rape 2.jpg

So yeah, while he's not Butch Hartman levels of crazy, Thomas Astruc is still a real work of art.

TL;DR - The cartoon the egotistical Andrew Dobson loved to draw fanart of was created by an even bigger egomaniac.

(This is the first time I've created a Lolcow thread. Is there anything I can improve on or explain more about?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
... huh. Hadn't seen the thing with Chloe. That's kinda disappointing. There was some indication that she might actually be something special, considering she's the only person to EVER turn down an offer of power from Hawk Moth (the main villain). I would also say that the episode that featured him as a self-insert felt more like self-deprecating humor at the time (and maybe a bit of salt that Miraculous was originally intended to be 2D animation but had to be modified), though in the light of this I'm not so sure. Still gonna separate the artist from the art and enjoy the show though.

That said... an artist with an ego who can't take criticism why I never.

Captain Marvelous

Hade ni ikuze!
kiwifarms.net
I would also say that the episode that featured him as a self-insert felt more like self-deprecating humor at the time (and maybe a bit of salt that Miraculous was originally intended to be 2D animation but had to be modified), though in the light of this I'm not so sure.
His self-insert appeared again in the latest episode, "Queen Banana". While he didn't get as much focus, the episode was still a jab at fans who suggested making changes to his show, when he said he can't change anything because of fan interference... ignoring the fact that several TV shows have done things like that (Monica and Chandler's relationship was supposed to be a one night stand, but fans loved them so much the Friends writers kept them together), and in the recent Miraculous Ladybug special, the animators had to change a character design last-minute due to allegations of whitewashing.

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
His self-insert appeared again in the latest episode, "Queen Banana". While he didn't get as much focus, the episode was still a jab at fans who suggested making changes to his show, when he said he can't change anything because of fan interference... ignoring the fact that several TV shows have done things like that (Monica and Chandler's relationship was supposed to be a one night stand, but fans loved them so much the Friends writers kept them together), and in the recent Miraculous Ladybug special, the animators had to change a character design last-minute due to allegations of whitewashing.
Ah, okay. I haven't seen after the end of season 3, I'm more of a binge watcher so I've been waiting for the whole season to come out. Didn't know he appeared again.

Autism Supreme

kiwifarms.net
I didn't picked up on the fact that his ego got this massive. If he trully belived his work was this exceptional why can't he just let the work speak for himself and get off twitter for good? He does have some merit: he mashed superheroes, magical girls and francophilia together and came up with a very popular show. Props to him. But he is such a manchild.

Dialogs on Ladybugs are atrocious but for a cute kid show it's ok.