Thoughts about DSP's Psychology - Dr Fred Freud's Office

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

What?

kiwifarms.net
I have a question.
What does it mean when a person laughs at their own jokes/remarks but they are never actually funny or witty?
DSP does this in every single video I've ever seen of him.
Is it a combination of ego and plain old dumb making him think he's shitting comedy gold or something more?

Daktaklakpak

Autistic Space Robot
kiwifarms.net
I have a question.
What does it mean when a person laughs at their own jokes/remarks but they are never actually funny or witty?
DSP does this in every single video I've ever seen of him.
Is it a combination of ego and plain old dumb making him think he's shitting comedy gold or something more?
I was thought it was a kind of signal for his audience that a joke has been delivered, kind of a "please clap" plea.

Roasted

Bullying Βancho
kiwifarms.net
I think he is trapped in a cycle of gouty destruction by his laziness and because he has a terribly fragile ego. The things that are at the root of all his cow behaviour are those things. If he could admit mistakes and make proactive improvements people would overlook his shitty gameplay or personal problems.
"Laziness" and "a fragile ego" being at the root of his behaviour?

I disagree.
I think you're confusing avolition for laziness, this cannot be the cause in a scenario where extended laziness keeps giving him the same results over and over.
The extreme repeating nature of his inaction proves that he does not have control over it.

Is he so lazy that he "chooses" to neglect his physical and mental health for years and years, without investing into his own career/a comfortable liveable future?
I do not think so, I actually don't think Phil is lazy, beyond some heavy ADD.

The Deesp never came across as a smart guy, even in the early days, he wasn't.
People who aren't very smart often struggle with happiness, especially when faced with their incompetence amplified by the internet's megaphone and the crazy levels of exposure that come with it, now top that off with being socially isolated, girlfriend left him, legitimately (I know, his own fault, doesn't matter, burden is there) struggling with finances.
Anyone that's positive towards him is an even dumber sucker, and he knows it, he doesn't regard their opinion on his life well.

Think about it, wouldn't you be depressed, and have your ego smashed to pieces in that situation?

Very few people wouldn't have that happen, many celebrities are weird as fuck and have tons of psychological issues, this stems from the crazy amounts of attention and scrutiny they invite that human minds just aren't made to handle, the Deesp is no exception to this.
In fact, I reckon he has it worse with the amounts of negativity surrounding him every single day, and he has to interact with people continually, it's his job!

A conventional celebrity on other hand is able to retreat from it all and spend some quality time alone/with the family, or atleast not have to deal with those that scrutinize them on the job.

This all fits in with his symptoms:
  • Inability to take care of oneself
  • Astonishingly low energy levels
  • Paranoia (thanks @neger psykolog, missed that one) and the interpersonal rejection that has inspired it.
  • Extremely low mood and inability to perform routine tasks
  • Inability to take criticism
  • Struggling with taking Short term vs. Long term decisions (low executive functioning)
  • Struggle with sleeping patterns
This all fits under "Atypical depression".
In fact if you read the article, it describes Chicken Phil'a to a T.

I can understand many people would just see this maladaptive lifestyle as "being lazy", but many people who have depression suffer this bias, and don't get diagnosed because they are told that they're simply lazy.
All of this is not a defense of Gouty, merely an explanation of his behaviour.

I personally don't think that he fits the criteria for any personality disorders (his depression REALLY is just that bad), but I don't have a psych degree. (@kindercola ?)

The only thing I would suspect but not be able to armchair-diagnose without Phil volunteering his own life experience (for which he is too paranoid) , is ADD.
(By the way: people with FAS are very likely to develop ADD.)

Last edited:

kindercola

Moon Sign "Silent Selene"
kiwifarms.net
Antisocial Personality Disorder is an extremely rare condition (0.6% of the US population) with a very strict definition, to have it you must have a past history of Conduct Disorder as a child (a condition where you frequently engage in multiple instances of violent, criminal activity) and this must progress to adulthood and intensify. It is not about being a liar or a ''sociopath'', and sociopathy is not a psychological term that is defined or protected by the DSM-5. This means it has no definition, method of diagnosing or treating it, or tests to rule it out. It is simply a meaningless term that is thrown around for impact, especially in a court of law, to garner sympathy for the victim of whoever is deemed a sociopath.

I.e. Phil would have to have a history of committing crimes like rape or domestic abuse to remotely qualify for antisocial personality disorder.

neger psykolog

moon goons for communism detection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I disagree.
I think you're confusing avolition for laziness, this cannot be the cause in a scenario where extended laziness keeps giving him the same results over and over.
The extreme repeating nature of his inaction proves that he does not have control over it.

Is he so lazy that he "chooses" to neglect his physical and mental health for years and years, without investing into his own career/a comfortable liveable future?

People who aren't very smart often struggle with happiness, especially when faced with their incompetence amplified by the internet's megaphone and the crazy levels of exposure that come with it, now top that off with being socially isolated, girlfriend left him, legitimately (I know, his own fault, doesn't matter, burden is there) struggling with finances.
Anyone that's positive towards him is an even dumber sucker, and he knows it, he doesn't regard their opinion on his life well.

Think about it, wouldn't you be depressed, and have your ego smashed to pieces in that situation?

Very few people wouldn't have that happen, many celebrities are weird as fuck and have tons of psychological issues, this stems from the crazy amounts of attention and scrutiny they invite that human minds just aren't made to handle, the Deesp is no exception to this.
In fact, I reckon he has it worse with the amounts of negativity surrounding him every single day, and he has to interact with people continually, it's his job!

A conventional celebrity on other hand is able to retreat from it all and spend some quality time alone/with the family, or atleast not have to deal with those that scrutinize them on the job.

• Paranoia (thanks @neger psykolog, missed that one) and the interpersonal rejection that has inspired it.
  • Struggling with taking Short term vs. Long term decisions (low executive functioning)

I can understand many people would just see this maladaptive lifestyle as "being lazy", but many people who have depression suffer this bias, and don't get diagnosed because they are told that they're simply lazy.

I personally don't think that he fits the criteria for any personality disorders (his depression REALLY is just that bad), but I don't have a psych degree. (@kindercola ?)

The only thing I would suspect but not be able to armchair-diagnose without Phil volunteering his own life experience (for which he is too paranoid) , is ADD.
The laziness argument is interesting, I watched a recent YouTube video where they discussed Phil and they claimed that he "simply doesn't care". It certainly seems more likely that he just doesn't care and as a result has some sort of self destructive attitude.

So he's either:
  • Lazy
  • Not intelligent enough to appreciate action/reaction
  • Apathetic / Doesn't care
I think the apathy angle is interesting because it would fit in with a lot of his current lifestyle where he lives in a gated community and bans anyone with any form of criticism. His apparent indifference to his situation (he seems to wake up every day and know he's fucked financially, but never does anything to solve it, for instance the $130 cable TV bill) and his reaction is to just isolate himself further and do the bare minimum to get by and then watch tv and wrassling until 5 AM.

SoapQueen1

speed bump, failed business, retired tism wrangler
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
isolate himself further and do the bare minimum to get by and then watch tv and wrassling until 5 AM.
  • He HAS to isolate himself- he's been betrayed too many times to try any more...
  • He isn't doing the bare minimum- he is constantly moving and working 12 hours a day and doesn't even get days off every week like other people!
  • He doesn't watch TV until 5 AM- he tosses and turns in bed TRYING to sleep and can't because shit just gets to him and he watches TV to escape.

neger psykolog

moon goons for communism detection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • He HAS to isolate himself- he's been betrayed too many times to try any more...
  • He isn't doing the bare minimum- he is constantly moving and working 12 hours a day and doesn't even get days off every week like other people!
  • He doesn't watch TV until 5 AM- he tosses and turns in bed TRYING to sleep and can't because shit just gets to him and he watches TV to escape.
I think the more true & honest explanation for his "hard work" shtick is that is just his way of saying "I have no escape". And he doesn't have an escape. He's only ever been able to manage a staycation, he can't walk away from his in-house 'office' for more than 3-4 days at a time or he's going to be screwed financially.

Obviously in the early YouTube days he could work 7 days a week and basically print money with very minimal effort. Years pass, and Phil starts to see the plethora of other online content which has been made by people who have "special skills" that he doesn't have. It's obvious from Phil's reaction to people that have "more skills" than him is that this is because the world is unfair, and not because those people dedicated serious time and effort into developing those skills.

His life has been oriented around instantaneous pleasure (gotta get da dopamine rush) for years and years, and he's never had the true experience of actually putting time and effort into honing his skills like other people have.

It always seems that in Phil's eyes these people have had access to some sort of "special club" which has given them access to things like prerelease games and online friends who shower them with free traffic. It's very apparent he has an "me vs the world" mentality, which can be seen in the way he interacts with others.

Live by dopamine and die by dopamine, its the way of the world's 4th best Street Fighter 2 Turbo (PSX edition) player.

kindercola

kiwifarms.net
People with depression become very sensitive to criticism and the notion that they aren't trying hard enough, and tend to further isolate themselves despite that amplifying their illness. It is also very common for depression to be a first class mate to ADD. When you can't focus on anything and you don't accomplish much, it ruins your self esteem and makes you feel like shit.

We also need to keep in mind that Phil became an obstinate and stubborn individual because in all likelihood, he needed to be in order to have his parents pay attention to him and care for him, i.e. take him to the doctor, notice him and give him affection, etc. It didn't just show up out of nowhere. Now it is a harmful habit that has outlived its' usefulness, but it will be very tough for him to drop. This is why he tends to whine a lot, exaggerates symptoms, and brags-- he probably had to for Mama and Papa DSP to notice any issues or achievements in Little Philly's life. It doesn't make it right but it should provide insight on why it is so difficult to correct and how it came to be.

I'm guessing that based on the fact that Mama DSP smoked and drank during her pregnancy, and that they simply fork over money to their boy whenever he has troubles, that they are and were neglectful parents who didn't connect with their child. This is also why Phil has trouble forming healthy relationships with people and is so obsessed with money and consumeristic objects, like his action figures and WWE plaques.

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
Antisocial Personality Disorder is an extremely rare condition (0.6% of the US population) with a very strict definition, to have it you must have a past history of Conduct Disorder as a child (a condition where you frequently engage in multiple instances of violent, criminal activity) and this must progress to adulthood and intensify. It is not about being a liar or a ''sociopath'', and sociopathy is not a psychological term that is defined or protected by the DSM-5. This means it has no definition, method of diagnosing or treating it, or tests to rule it out. It is simply a meaningless term that is thrown around for impact, especially in a court of law, to garner sympathy for the victim of whoever is deemed a sociopath.

I.e. Phil would have to have a history of committing crimes like rape or domestic abuse to remotely qualify for antisocial personality disorder.
That is interesting. Never thought ASPD would be that rare, error on my part.

Although DSP doesn't commit crimes and break the law, DSP does show:
  • lack of concern, regret or remorse about other people's distress (Leanna's hospital visit)
  • lack of guilt, or not learn from his mistakes (Leanna)
  • blame others for problems in his life (Detractors, Rambo, Leanna).
  • Manipulative (This is him manipulating his fans regarding everything in his life so he could get more money for his patreon and tips and cheers on Twitch)
  • Exploit (That time he said about his friends death during the Spiderman Web of Shadows second run, he said he would beat people up if they talked negative about this situation, when really he was monetising these videos).

Roasted

Bullying Βancho
kiwifarms.net
The laziness argument is interesting, I watched a recent YouTube video where they discussed Phil and they claimed that he "simply doesn't care". It certainly seems more likely that he just doesn't care and as a result has some sort of self destructive attitude.

So he's either:
  • Lazy
  • Not intelligent enough to appreciate action/reaction
  • Apathetic / Doesn't care
I think the apathy angle is interesting because it would fit in with a lot of his current lifestyle where he lives in a gated community and bans anyone with any form of criticism. His apparent indifference to his situation (he seems to wake up every day and know he's fucked financially, but never does anything to solve it, for instance the $130 cable TV bill) and his reaction is to just isolate himself further and do the bare minimum to get by and then watch tv and wrassling until 5 AM.
He doesn't care.
That's the thing that makes me believe he just has intense depression (and has had it ever since the TIHYDP has gone on).

Most people suffering even low-level depression get a sense of defeatism, they don't have the energy to change (especially with Phil's low intelligence, requires a lot of energy to change himself more than likely), life just happens to them.
People who "realize" they can't change things adapt to the situation, they grow complacent but they remain distressed.

That's how I would explain him doing the bare minimum, not changing his financial situation (selling the fucking condo), or not falling asleep at night (depression is accompanied by hypersomnia or insomnia in nearly all cases).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Phil would require a personality in order to have a personality disorder. His cognitive bias is evident however.

@neger psykolog
Nearly irrelevant to your post, but this might be interesting to read since this site is 50% armchair psychologists.

During my psych electives I was taught that the Dunning-Kruger effect is just pop-science that is only observed through a small number of unprofessional studies, but popularized with how it has been represented in the media.

Scroll down to Sequel studies on the wiki article, the value of the effect seems to be disputed.
Less intelligent people seem to have bad judgement on everything, and the fact that even people who are smart enough to engage in university are subject to overestimating.

In my opinion, it's an emotional bias.
I believe this because everyone estimates themselves at average level/slightly above it, whether people do well or not.

Last edited:

kindercola

kiwifarms.net
Although DSP doesn't commit crimes and break the law, DSP does show:
  • lack of concern, regret or remorse about other people's distress (Leanna's hospital visit)
  • lack of guilt, or not learn from his mistakes (Leanna)
  • blame others for problems in his life (Detractors, Rambo, Leanna).
  • Manipulative (This is him manipulating his fans regarding everything in his life so he could get more money for his patreon and tips and cheers on Twitch)
  • Exploit (That time he said about his friends death during the Spiderman Web of Shadows second run, he said he would beat people up if they talked negative about this situation, when really he was monetising these videos).
You must have the prerequiste of violent, deviant criminal behaviour as a child (conduct disorder specifically) to qualify for Antisocial Personality Disorder. Without it, you just don't have it.

What is more likely is that he has low empathy, which is typical for people who are raised by neglectful or abusive parents as they have to literally manipulate the parents into taking care of them and displaying affection. Low empathy is also very common among people on the autism spectrum. What remains to be seen is whether DSP is autistic or not, because his poor empathy, grooming and socializaiton skills could stem from being neglected as a child and not raised to do these things appropriately, or due to low IQ/developmental issues.

Another thing to note is people with Attention Deficit Disorder have a high rate of overlap with autism-like symptoms, such as poor self image/self-esteem, poor handwriting, difficulty socializing, etc.

If he wanted to see if he has ADD, it would be incredibly easy to rule out or treat- he just tries a stimulant family medication like dextroampetamine (Dexedrine), and if it helps his issues at all, he has it.

Last edited:

Bryan Dunn

KoP & Exceptional Detective
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I disagree.

(By the way: people with FAS are very likely to develop ADD.)

I would disagree with this as DSP does not withdrawal when presented in situations such as criticism or arguments.

In fact, he is combative and will outright mock you after banning you for it. Sometimes gloat about money he's made off your "troll attempt". I've worked with countless Atypical Depression clients and the first thing I will tell you is that most people who suffer from depression are not willing to even subject themselves to the option of criticism. It would trigger a mental breakdown if they were. Especially if they do not use anti-depressants. Depression cripples the person to the point of no drive for anything, that includes no drive to "fight the haters".

The fact that DSP continues to mock and attack fans & trolls alike is not something that someone with just Depression would do.

I still stand by my opinion on NPD or Narcissistic Personality Disorder as he clearly shows all the signs involved with the disorder, especially his self absorbed attitude. Hell, I've got a stream where we decided to look into the type of people who follow DSP & cult like behavioral patterns.

It's scary the amount of things you can find.

You must have the prerequiste of violent, deviant criminal behaviour as a child (conduct disorder specifically) to qualify for Antisocial Personality Disorder. Without it, you just don't have it.

What is more likely is that he has low empathy, which is typical for people who are raised by neglectful or abusive parents as they have to literally manipulate the parents into taking care of them and displaying affection. Low empathy is also very common among people on the autism spectrum. What remains to be seen is whether DSP is autistic or not, because his poor empathy, grooming and socializaiton skills could stem from being neglected as a child and not raised to do these things appropriately, or due to low IQ/developmental issues.

Another thing to note is people with Attention Deficit Disorder have a high rate of overlap with autism-like symptoms, such as poor self image/self-esteem, poor handwriting, difficulty socializing, etc.

If he wanted to see if he has ADD, it would be incredibly easy to rule out or treat- he just tries a stimulant family medication like dextroampetamine (Dexedrine), and if it helps his issues at all, he has it.
ADD is possible but my issue with the low functioning IQ talks is that we know he was an alumni during his college days and did get his 4 year degree in 04'. Whether or not you put stock into University anymore, that's still a feat to behold from someone of Phil's caliber

Last edited by a moderator:

kindercola

kiwifarms.net
ADD is possible but my issue with the low functioning IQ talks is that we know he was an alumni during his college days and did get his 4 year degree in 04'. Whether or not you put stock into University anymore, that's still a feat to behold from someone of Phil's caliber
You can have a lower-than-average IQ and/or developmental disability and still succeed at university. He may have needed tutoring, extra study hours, or mentoring, and regardless, it is a great accomplishment. Many people with issues like Fetal Alcohol or Autism do finish university, especially with those kinds of supports in place.

Bryan Dunn

KoP & Exceptional Detective
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You can have a lower-than-average IQ and/or developmental disability and still succeed at university. He may have needed tutoring, extra study hours, or mentoring, and regardless, it is a great accomplishment. Many people with issues like Fetal Alcohol or Autism do finish university, especially with those kinds of supports in place.

It's a stretch but possible, regardless he doesn't have any facial features that coincide with FAS and Autism is definitely not accurate as he clearly can function properly. It's not that he can't socialize it's that he doesn't want to socialize, in fact, I'd go as far as to say he hates people and prefers his own thoughts and own morals/ethics. At least, that's my opinion on it

• Agree
Reactions: Mooty Mooty Mooty

kindercola

kiwifarms.net
It's a stretch but possible, regardless he doesn't have any facial features that coincide with FAS and Autism is definitely not accurate as he clearly can function properly. It's not that he can't socialize it's that he doesn't want to socialize, in fact, I'd go as far as to say he hates people and prefers his own thoughts and own morals/ethics. At least, that's my opinion on it
He definitely has issues with empathy, hygiene, routine, and socialization. It's just a matter of whether this is caused by his upbringing or a condition. Autism doesn't have to be crippling or very noticeable. Many people go years without a proper diagnosis or treatment plan because while it does affect their behaviour, it doesn't look like the stereotype people have of an autistic person (usually a handicapped child who is a savant) and/or their parents believe that these traits are just an inherent part of their "personality'' as opposed to serious issues that cause them trouble every day (see: CWC).

Tags
None