Thoughts on assisted suicide?

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Do you think assisted suicide should be legal?

• Yes

Votes: 77 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 16.2%

• Total voters

Vandy

kiwifarms.net
It's a pretty heavy topic that I've avoided for some time, but I honestly am not sure what to think about it.

I was sitting on the toilet earlier and thinking about death (as one does) and how many actors have died in the last two years.
As you know, Robin Williams killed himself, which some believe to be because he was developing dementia and he didn't want to live to see his mind turn to jelly.

And I understand that. I don't like suicide as a principle because (powerlevel here) I was suicidal growing up and the only thing that's kept me alive is the hope that tomorrow will be better.

That may work for people in shit situations, since the future may bring better things, but for people with terminal illness and the like, there really is no hope.

So in general I suppose I wanted some opinions on assisted suicide and people's right in general to off themselves.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes but and then a lot of buts, mostly involving
  • people being coerced into it by greedy heirs
  • "angel of death" type doctors who are just way too into it persuading people to do it in some kind of cult-like fashion
  • whether/how someone should be able to collect life insurance as a result of it
  • how to handle it when mental illness is the motivation for wanting to do it
  • what about when untreatable, permanent mental illness is, in fact, a rational motivation for doing it

King_Scrotus

kiwifarms.net
I am against it in most cases, I think it should only be allowed in dire cases where it's literally the only option, and not dying will prolong provable medical suffering.

This documentary shows how it can be idealized. This person essentially goes around touting it as the best thing, how she wants it so bad, and then essentially bullies her family and friends into accepting it by saying that if they try to talk her out, she'll cut contact and/or just commit suicide in a worse way. It's also a pretty in depth look into how the system works, I think these sorts of nihlistic people will just try to abuse the system, who see it as this cool thing, and a form of rebellion.

m0rnutz

Not a furry
kiwifarms.net
If the kinks are all hammered out, I'm all for it.

Lets be honest, half of us on here are suicidal, we just don't really have the balls half the time to decide for ourselves.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am against it in most cases, I think it should only be allowed in dire cases where it's literally the only option, and not dying will prolong provable medical suffering.

I'm not even going to watch this, but I can tell just by looking at that prick that he's a walking argument against any idea he's in support of.

Also he should get assisted suicide, but the method should be he's given to a pervert or a rapist or something to do with as he will.

Vandy

kiwifarms.net

This documentary shows how it can be idealized. This person essentially goes around touting it as the best thing, how she wants it so bad, and then essentially bullies her family and friends into accepting it by saying that if they try to talk her out, she'll cut contact and/or just commit suicide in a worse way. It's also a pretty in depth look into how the system works, I think these sorts of nihlistic people will just try to abuse the system, who see it as this cool thing, and a form of rebellion.

Thanks for the vid! I'll watch it tomorrow (everyone's asleep and idfl where my headphones are. I tried watching it with closed captions but theyre so bad because it cant understand her accent lmfao, I'll leave you with this screenshot.)

Attachments

• 2017_04_10_02.29.10.png
    2017_04_10_02.29.10.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 196

King_Scrotus

kiwifarms.net
I'm not even going to watch this, but I can tell just by looking at that prick that he's a walking argument against any idea he's in support of.

Also he should get assisted suicide, but the method should be he's given to a pervert or a rapist or something to do with as he will.
I would recommend a watch, you'll hate that person just as much as you think you're going to, but you also get to watch them get skittish and back out in the end after talking it up the whole time.

Essentially, the argument surrounding all this concerns mental states and invisible suffering, whether it's possible to go on if you just feel shitty 24/7. IT manages to present opposing views, one psychologist who says we should allow suicide if someone just feels really, really depressed, and one who says it's stupid, because of course you can get better mentally over time.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I'm against it because of shit like this .

Basically the patient said when they were too far gone, they'd be okay with assisted suicide. Welp, doc said it was time, and therefore drugged the patient's drink so that the doc could give the killing drugs to them. Except the patient was aware enough to say no, so the doc had the family member restrain the victim, and killed the patient.

Also, I see it as a way of getting rid of research at attempting to cure conditions. Why bother to cure cancer, when it's cheaper to kill off anybody who contracts it? There was an article I read after they made assisted suicide legal somewhere, where somebody was talking about their cancer support group and how the mood had changed. Before it was all "You can do this! Fight to beat this horrible disease!" and after it was "Well, there's always suicide as an option."

UptownRuckus

My Kiwishirt came! I feel retarted
kiwifarms.net
Really tough thing. In all ways I encourage living. Like one of the above comments I think it should only be used in the last resort. Otherwise ending it early is not the best idea. I mean...We only get one life right?

MMMMMM

I'd be right happy to
kiwifarms.net
I think about getting dementia or full-body paralysis and I really want it to be made legal, just so I personally have an 'out' if I need it. I fully accept all the negative points people have made, but even so I think it's overall a net positive.

ZeCommissar

This paper contains all the reasons you're a fag
kiwifarms.net
I don't know, on one hand I believe that people have the ability to choose whether they want to live or not, who's to say they CANT kill themselves?

But on the other hand, as others have pointed out above it can be abused.

TBH I think if someone REALLY wanted to kill themselves they would do it anyways, assisted or not.

I think with permanent conditions (Alzheimers, terminal cancer, etc) that people can choose to die, but a 25 year old going "i'm too depressed" is not grounds for it.

ToroidalBoat

wat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IF assisted suicide is good in the first place, the person wanting it should be able to have complete control over the means by which their life is ended.

Sperglord Dante

Useless Guato
kiwifarms.net
I really don't see how putting a premature end to the life of histrionic bleeding hearts is a counter argument to assisted suicide. If anything it should be seen as a good reason to support assisted suicide.

cuddle striker

troon all day to hypno
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yes in favor of it. even for mental illness.

if the person has exhausted all treatment options for a painful and debilitating illness, or is terminal, let em have it.

I'm even in favor of happy sleep kits being available to the public. fuck it. people wanna go, they can go. at least it'd be dignified and less messy and painful. yeah we only get one life but it's OUR life.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think with permanent conditions (Alzheimers, terminal cancer, etc) that people can choose to die, but a 25 year old going "i'm too depressed" is not grounds for it.

If you're 25 and able bodied do it yourself if you're that into it.

There are any number of websites with detailed and accurate instructions on how to do it effectively, painlessly, and quickly.

DoctorJimmyRay

Professional Scat Fetishist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As long as there an appropriate counseling and screening process, I can't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

Of course, given how many autists ended up autistically fixating on gender identity and tricking doctors into letting them transition, thusly shitting up the whole tranny culture with autogynophiliacs, such a thing would have to be carefully screened. I doubt that it would be that big of an issue, but we know just how exceptional autistics can be when they latch onto an insane idea.

Kazami Yuuka

Enjoy the ment
kiwifarms.net
The only kind of "assisted suicide" that should be allowed is denying life support and DNR orders.
Introducing the "option" may sound nice because it "increases rights", it is certainly not a desirable right. Allowing assisted suicide would pave the way towards medical treatment being refused on the most vulnerable and sick because it isn't "economical" or that "the pain would be too much". The whole point of hospitals, doctors, and the healthcare system is to treat patients and address the causes of their medical issues. In fact, this issue is addressed in the oath that all doctors take:
I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.
...Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. Above all, I must not play at God.
And if somebody really feels that they must kill themselves, they are more than welcome to check out of medical care against medical advice, and kill themselves on their own accord. Doctors are not, and should never be executioners.

SaladV

Uses Zanuka as a Fleshlight
kiwifarms.net
I have known a few people who ended their lives due to extreme suffering, being medical conditions that were going to kill them soon enough- they were in extreme mental and physical pain. There comes a point when being alive is more cruel and I've had to accept that sometimes it's the right choice and in the end, it can be merciful if the person really wants to not suffer.

However, there should be intense testing and screening before going through with it, it should not be easy to gain. I do worry about the bad shit that could happen with doctors taking advantage as noted earlier.

The Kebab and Calculator

Dance fatboy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have long been in favour of assisted suicide albeit with the same caveats that many have expressed above.

Apologies in advance for a power level but I have a friend right now who is making final arrangements (through Dignitas) in Switzerland. Having seen his extreme pain, anguish and loss of personal dignity over the past 2 years there is no way I could think his solution to be a bad thing.

I have witnessed two different animals being euthanised to end their suffering. In both cases it was a dignified and peaceful relief. Why do we deny that (yes, with appropriate controls) to fellow humans?