Thread for functioning and working alcoholics -

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
Or I would say, drugs are legal or illegal depending upon whether or not they are conducive to you going into work the next day.

BTW Opiates should have lots of functional users in a sane society, I lived in a country where codeine, synthesised from morphine, cost well under $10/gram from the pharmacy. Heroin if anything should be cheaper, and barring acute toxicity, it's a lot better for you than any other drug.
LOL that's so funny. Because I used to take codeine every day before I started drinking. Then the media hit us with the "opioid crisis" and every woman in my life came to me and told me how bad opioids were and started hiding them from me and nagging me about it so I was like "fine, you win" so I took up drinking, and because the media didn't tell them theres an "alcohol crisis" they are fine. Fucking morons. LOL

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
LOL that's so funny. Because I used to take codeine every day before I started drinking. Then the media hit us with the "opioid crisis" and every woman in my life came to me and told me how bad opioids were and started hiding them from me and nagging me about it so I was like "fine, you win" so I took up drinking, and because the media didn't tell them theres an "alcohol crisis" they are fine. Fucking morons. LOL
Please shut the fuck up and delete your post. They're already talking about artifically raising the price of booze where I live, don't give them any ideas!

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately we don't live in the described society. In ours, it'll take you a few months tops before your tolerance to codeine will be such that it won't do anything regardless of dose (for the most part codeine only works to the extent your liver metabolizes it to morphine, and that's only IIRC 400 mg or so, tops) and then having already demonstrated a fondness for opiates, you will end up switching to something that works. Which will upend your life. Strange to say, however, people on high doses of strong opiates do seem to eventually reach a fairly stable dose given unfettered access.

Stop drinking though, look up what it's doing to your brain long term if it helps and you are invested in intellectual interests. I knew someone who was very high achieving in one of the prestige professions whose IQ was tested at 90 after 15 years of very heavy drinking.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Stop drinking though, look up what it's doing to your brain long term if it helps and you are invested in intellectual interests. I knew someone who was very high achieving in one of the prestige professions whose IQ was tested at 90 after 15 years of very heavy drinking.
Good thing liver failure will probably plug me before the ten year mark. They're talking about nuking alcohol in my country because people are dropping like flies from it over here. I've reached a point where I'm fine being part of that statistic.

• Islamic Content
Reactions: Buster O'Keefe

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately we don't live in the described society. In ours, it'll take you a few months tops before your tolerance to codeine will be such that it won't do anything regardless of dose (for the most part codeine only works to the extent your liver metabolizes it to morphine, and that's only IIRC 400 mg or so, tops) and then having already demonstrated a fondness for opiates, you will end up switching to something that works. Which will upend your life. Strange to say, however, people on high doses of strong opiates do seem to eventually reach a fairly stable dose given unfettered access.
It's why I'd take a break for a few days, not only did my tolerance increase, but the side effects become more pronounced, so you have to cut yourself off for a bit.

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
Good thing liver failure will probably plug me before the ten year mark. They're talking about nuking alcohol in my country because people are dropping like flies from it over here. I've reached a point where I'm fine being part of that statistic.
LOL they are just talking about it? Here's Alcohol vs the Opioid crisis. From the world health organization.

Alcohol
21 September 2018

Key facts

• Worldwide, 3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol, this represent 5.3 % of all deaths.
  • The harmful use of alcohol is a causal factor in more than 200 disease and injury conditions.
  • Overall 5.1 % of the global burden of disease and injury is attributable to alcohol, as measured in disability-adjusted life years (DALYs).
  • Alcohol consumption causes death and disability relatively early in life. In the age group 20–39 years approximately 13.5 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable.
  • There is a causal relationship between harmful use of alcohol and a range of mental and behavioural disorders, other noncommunicable conditions as well as injuries.

Opioid

People dependent on opioids are the group most likely to suffer an overdose. The incidence of fatal opioid overdose among opioid-dependent individuals is estimated at 0.65% per year.
So 5.3% of all people in the world die due to alcohol, with upwards of 25% of people affected in injuries and/or deaths related to alcohol. While 0.65% of people in the world die to Opioids. Any Opioid.

So really, the lesson here is, they really don't give a flying fuck about helping people or preventative measures in any way shape or form.

Some people get money out of you for the Alcohol, then other people get money out of you to clean up the mess if you make one. And that's how the world works.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Some people get money out of you for the Alcohol, then other people get money out of you to clean up the mess if you make one. And that's how the world works.
I hope you're right. This one bothers me since its one of the few things in life i enjoy that I can purchase over the counter.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Have you ever had a benzo scrip?
I could easily acquire one, but it's not like they're going to prescribe it on a permanent basis. Removing the alcoholism isn't going to remove the underlying problems, so I'd get off the drug and back onto the bottle in short order. Might as well save myself, the doctors and my country's medical system the time and energy.

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
I could easily acquire one, but it's not like they're going to prescribe it on a permanent basis. Removing the alcoholism isn't going to remove the underlying problems, so I'd get off the drug and back onto the bottle in short order. Might as well save myself, the doctors and my country's medical system the time and energy.
Agreed that it won't address your underlying problems. Of course. But it will be easy to find a psychiatrist happy to keep you on clonazepam or something fairly long acting as long as you need, even permanently, if it means you're keeping your life together and not actively destroying your organs. You will probably find it tickles the same part of the brain that alcohol does, and gives you the space you need to re-evaluate life, etc. Think of it like methadone maintenance or something, where you're taking a drug that's still a full opioid agonist but with a 24 instead of a 3 hour half life. Alcohol is processed so quickly and typically with such uneven administration that your mood, life, planning etc is all over the place and a little stability will help you see that. PS (to others) I am aware of all criticisms that can be made to this post, I'm definitely a better living through chemistry type, but I’m assuming we're in a last measures situation

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
It's why I'd take a break for a few days, not only did my tolerance increase, but the side effects become more pronounced, so you have to cut yourself off for a bit.
I'm curious by the way what you mean by side effects being more pronounced? I've never heard of this. The most typical side effects are histaminergic, like itching, red face etc but that gets bettet not worse. Your colon definitely develops tolerance slower than your brain, that's the only thing I can think of

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Agreed that it won't address your underlying problems. Of course. But it will be easy to find a psychiatrist happy to keep you on clonazepam or something fairly long acting as long as you need, even permanently, if it means you're keeping your life together and not actively destroying your organs. You will probably find it tickles the same part of the brain that alcohol does, and gives you the space you need to re-evaluate life, etc. Think of it like methadone maintenance or something, where you're taking a drug that's still a full opioid agonist but with a 24 instead of a 3 hour half life. Alcohol is processed so quickly and typically with such uneven administration that your mood, life, planning etc is all over the place and a little stability will help you see that. PS (to others) I am aware of all criticisms that can be made to this post, I'm definitely a better living through chemistry type, but I’m assuming we're in a last measures situation
I agree with your suggestion for the most part and am very well-informed on the matter of benzos. Essentially, its been observed that they work almost completely like alcohol as far as the brain is concerned, so I can see their utility. The problem with therapy is that its just not trustworthy and never was. The ineptitude of modern psychology damaged my life considerably several times and is part of the reason I started drinking in the first place. On top of that, even if I found a drug that worked there's no guarentee that I would be allowed to remain on it. Legislation, cold feet, or even my doctor getting hit by a bus and replaced with a more timid character could mean getting any controlled medication yanked out from under me with zero warning.

I wish there was some system of bureaucracy in place to handle people willing to use controlled substances more responsibly than the pill addicts. I'd be perfectly happy going through the paperwork, background check and obtaining a loisence if it meant I had some part of the machine to protect me. Right now though something as simple as your doctor reading a scary research paper can end your prescription in a day.

Reactions: Death Grip

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
I agree with your suggestion for the most part and am very well-informed on the matter of benzos. Essentially, its been observed that they work almost completely like alcohol as far as the brain is concerned, so I can see their utility. The problem with therapy is that its just not trustworthy and never was. The ineptitude of modern psychology damaged my life considerably several times and is part of the reason I started drinking in the first place. On top of that, even if I found a drug that worked there's no guarentee that I would be allowed to remain on it. Legislation, cold feet, or even my doctor getting hit by a bus and replaced with a more timid character could mean getting any controlled medication yanked out from under me with zero warning.

I wish there was some system of bureaucracy in place to handle people willing to use controlled substances more responsibly than the pill addicts. I'd be perfectly happy going through the paperwork, background check and obtaining a loisence if it meant I had some part of the machine to protect me. Right now though something as simple as your doctor reading a scary research paper can end your prescription in a day.
Psychiatrists don't have typically have time to do what you're thinking of as therapy. You'll go in periodically, say you’re well, answer a few questions from a check list, that's it.

No psychiatrist will simply cancel your klonopin scrip, if you're honest and doing what you are supposed to. It just won't happen. It's unlikely he'll even start tapering down before you're fully comfortable, and tapering klonopin takes a long, long time. You can always go up again anyway, or see another doctor if there really is a problem. This is an eminently soluble problem, I assure you. Even if I were wrong, what's the worst case scenario? You wind up back where you are now except without a few months or years wear and tear on your liver.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Psychiatrists don't have typically have time to do what you're thinking of as therapy. You'll go in periodically, say you’re well, answer a few questions from a check list, that's it.

No psychiatrist will simply cancel your klonopin scrip, if you're honest and doing what you are supposed to. It just won't happen. It's unlikely he'll even start tapering down before you're fully comfortable, and tapering klonopin takes a long, long time. You can always go up again anyway, or see another doctor if there really is a problem. This is an eminently soluble problem, I assure you. Even if I were wrong, what's the worst case scenario? You wind up back where you are now except with a few months or years wear and tear on your liver.
That's a lovely narrative but the threat of legal action in the wake of certain events over here has led therapists to become very reckless with how quickly they'll slash drugs. I've learned that psychology is a highly unforgiving field to interact with once the therapists themselves start thinking about their own self-preservation. When machines like medicine and government clash, the collateral damage is massive and we all lose.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino