Thread for functioning and working alcoholics -

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
inally, the lame old cliche of "You have to want to get better" is sadly reality. Do you actually want to stop drinking, or do you just want to minimize the negative consequences for it? I couldn't quit smoking until I got fed up with smoking. When I "knew I should quit" I could halfheartedly start the process but never stick with it. Because I didn't want to quit.
If you think you can quit and keep functioning, that's the real question. Some people don't have the luxury of being a celebrity that books themselves into a detox clinic for months because they've become completely incapacitated if they can't drink/take drugs. Regular people don't have that luxury.

Can you quit and keep functioning?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Jesus (mad)
Speaking of functioning alcoholic.

I once knew a particular person who was out on an engineering job for a subdivision doing electrical layout. Said person is doing said layout in the presence of heavy work equipment, including giant graders that scrape the surface dirt in order to level everything out. These are big machines, about 12 feet up the cab.

No worries guys are in high vis, and the workers are used to it. One is noticed weaving a bit and getting a bit too close as well, but they think nothing of it. Though that said, one of these goes over you, there won't be much left in terms of recognizable structures.

Guy is still weaving and turning erratically, which in those big machines is really something you don't see often. A truck from the owner of the rigs and essentially site supervisor, drives out hell for leather to get alongside this digger, waving guy down. Guy stops after a few seconds of slowly rolling forwards, and the supervisor. Mr. T.
Gets up the side of that digger, flings guy out the cab and drops him down to his assistant who loads him into the truck and drives off, as Mr. T. starts the grader up and drives it off to their holding area.

Hour later Engineer and said person helping with layout are having lunch in a local restaurant with Mr. T.

"What happened to that guy you picked up in the grader?" Comes up naturally through the course of lunch conversation.

"That stupid mother fucker was sent home! I'd have fired his fucking dumb ass, but I can't find anyone to replace him at the moment." Mr. T. grumbled.

"Why? What did he do?" The Engineer asked.

Turns out Guy was a functioning alcoholic, who had gone on a bender the night before, and had decided in his infinite wisdom that work hours were not a reason to stop the party.

He'd been sitting up in his cab, doing his grading work and working his way through a bottle of Jack at the same time.

T had to send him home obviously, but was fuming, not because Guy had been drunk on site, but because Guy had been openly drinking in one of his machines at work, and if caught by one of the site safety inspectors, would have probably cost T the development contract which was a cool 2 million dollars.

a feel

Die Gedanken sind frei.
kiwifarms.net
If you think you can quit and keep functioning, that's the real question. Some people don't have the luxury of being a celebrity that books themselves into a detox clinic for months because they've become completely incapacitated if they can't drink/take drugs. Regular people don't have that luxury.

Can you quit and keep functioning?
Dude. Seriously. If you wanna drink, just drink. No one is gonna force you to quit. No need to come up with a thousand stupid reasons why you can't stop or that Bill Gates is the only person in the world who could possibly potentially afford rehab. Btw, I am posting this on my second to last day in said rehab which has cost me exactly zero and addressed the underlying issues which led to my addictive personality, so that I may lead a much happier life. You do you. If you wanna drink just do it. No one's gonna stop you but yourself.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Not an alcoholic but I have a question for the ones that are. After being a teetotaler for years I've started drinking one night every 1-2 weeks. Helps me relax, etc. But now I'm starting to notice it requires more to get me buzzed. How long do I have to quit before the resistance goes away? I'm not comfortable with the required amount of alcohol escalating.

a feel

Die Gedanken sind frei.
kiwifarms.net
Not an alcoholic but I have a question for the ones that are. After being a teetotaler for years I've started drinking one night every 1-2 weeks. Helps me relax, etc. But now I'm starting to notice it requires more to get me buzzed. How long do I have to quit before the resistance goes away? I'm not comfortable with the required amount of alcohol escalating.
Once you've crossed that line there is no going back. Your body never forgets. Even after years of not drinking all it takes is a couple of days at most for your body/brain to require the same amount of alcohol as it does now. That's why alcoholics can't go back to "normal" amounts or have the odd glass of wine every now and then. You've already noticed this. Alcohol obviously is an addictive substance for a reason, and its withdrawals can literally kill you.

The resistance never goes away. Sorry.

Karl_der_Grosse

GG Allin once threw his poop at me.
kiwifarms.net
Now you need to watch out for the next stage of alcoholism, where you drink and feel completely sober until you have x number of drinks and then suddenly are completely fucked up. Once you get to that stage you will start having a lot of blackouts and doing things that have lasting repercussions.

Alcohol tolerance seems to wear off fairly fast, I know if I go a month without drinking I get pretty buzzed off a single beer. Getting used to being drunk is different and never really goes away. It's never gonna feel the same as when you started.

Reactions: BoingoTango

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
LOL that's so funny. Because I used to take codeine every day before I started drinking. Then the media hit us with the "opioid crisis" and every woman in my life came to me and told me how bad opioids were and started hiding them from me and nagging me about it so I was like "fine, you win" so I took up drinking, and because the media didn't tell them theres an "alcohol crisis" they are fine. Fucking morons. LOL
Uh, dude, In all seriousness maybe it's because you did have a problem. Shit ain't no joke. If you're just replacing one thing with another like that too, that's probably a problem. I don't know man, I'm not really a good person to be preaching to no body, but that's not good my man. 100% super cereal

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
Alcohol tolerance seems to wear off fairly fast, I know if I go a month without drinking I get pretty buzzed off a single beer. Getting used to being drunk is different and never really goes away. It's never gonna feel the same as when you started.
This is very true with any drug. I remember the first time I did weed. I literally laughed hysterically uncontrollably for at least an hour the first time I managed to get high ( I remember it took me 2 or 3 times of 'smoking' to actually get high - i didn't smoke cigarettes or anything before, so I wasn't taking it in my lungs properly)

I've never been able to recreate that feeling, even after 3 or 4 months of not getting high.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I've never actually gotten completely fucked up. I've never even had a hangover. Not sure if that will affect anything in terms of how long I should go between drinking.

Jesus

<Christine> Jesus, Please Help and Heal my wife!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What are you drinking?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino