• ”yyyyep they can't stop won't stop”

Disaster Thundercats gets new series“Steven pumaverse”

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by CatParty, May 18, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. Blackstones, meet the Blackstones,
    They're the funky Stone Age family
    From the town of Harlem...

And that's as far as I got.

(I honestly can't imagine that the thing wouldn't wind up with Fred in an Archie Bunker-type role.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Steamboat_Bill

Steamboat_Bill Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee

kiwifarms.net
  2. Of course H-B got something almost close with Wait Till Your Father Gets Home.

kiwifarms.net
  3. Wait Till Your Father Gets Home?

That's a very under represented show, let alone an H-B one. They used to play it late at night back around 1999 when Cartoon Network first hit the air and was trying to fill 24 hours of time with nothing but H-B properties, and it was the closest thing to a played-straight early 70s sitcom, except animated, that you'll ever see.

The scripts could've been given as-is to live action actors and they would've worked just as well, all in all, a very underappreciated gem. It's also kinda topical with Harry's character trying to find a middle way between all the political extremes he unexpectedly finds himself having to choose from between his proto-hippie eldest kid, feminist middle kid, traditional youngest and wife and his die-hard anti-commie neighbor forcing him to confront the entire fractious and bewildering political spectrum of America, circa 1970, every ... single.... day. ... a situation more than a few modern Americans could definitely empathize with.

Forgive my toon :autism:

Check it out if you have some time

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    #823 TowinKarz, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    TowinKarz

TowinKarz Actually WILL Call Somebody.....

kiwifarms.net
  4. The show I'm talking about is very recent.

kiwifarms.net
  5. I never heard of anything more recent than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
  6. Very :late:, but the Warhammer kids' books may have come as a result of the World of Warcraft: Traveler YA series meeting with modest success. Except the Traveler books actually fit into the setting and add worldbuilding, and were intended to introduce players, especially young players, to the game's lore.

On-topic, however! As a parent, I like watching my old favorites with my kids--but some of them are so cringy that I just can't bear them. That's where good reboots come in, that are true to the original idea but do something fresh and perhaps a bit less expurgated for content (such as violence).

But that's the thing: I'm watching them with my kids. I'm paying for this, and I'm partaking. Telling me that if I don't like it, I'm a giant woman-baby who can go screw her irrelevant self because it's meant for kids isn't going to make me spend more money. And double that, if you're proposing that I shouldn't be watching it at all, just sit my kids down in front of the TV or monitor and walk away; because anyone who's so insistent that they need unfettered, unchaperoned access to my children is someone who probably should be registered by the state.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Vorhtbame

Vorhtbame Knife control now!

kiwifarms.net
  7. Henry Selick turned out pretty alright in his work for being a CalArts alumni member. Funny how the CalArts graduates from the 80's and 90's did good work but now it produces half assed cartoons.

Edit: I just found out that CalArts talks shit on Don Bluth and calls him a joke, and they make fun of his work. That tells me all I need to know about these clowns.

[​IMG]

I figured out the mystery of why everything is so shit now.

• Feels Feels x 24
    • Islamic Content Islamic Content x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Oscar Wildean

Oscar Wildean Stephen's making a move.

kiwifarms.net
  8. That....UGH that frustrates me to no imagine. Say what you want about Bluth and the shitty films churned out in the latter half of his career. But the man had passion, soul, and earnestness in his craft. You could tell by every frame of animation that he felt strongly about the artform. His animation is by no means outdated or overflowy--look at The Secret of Nimh for example. Look at that climax in particular with the golden balls of light and moody reds flying around as mystic shit happens onscreen. I've yet to see any Steven Universe calarts shit ever replicate that.

To hell with these people. If they want to shit on Bluth then they are immediately disqualified from really knowing anything about animation.

Edit: Adding the scene I was talking about in just as a reference. Remember, these people think that this is "outdated and overflowy".

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    #828 Alto, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Alto

Alto See you Space Doggo

kiwifarms.net
  9. Those pre-2000 grads pretty much followed the usual formulas in terms of what was expected by studios at that time. I could still go back to those films and not be annoyed because none of them ever try to invade my brain with their politics. It's just clever, unfiltered creativity.

Sad, and Don was trying to save it too.

And that's the thing, I dare someone watch that scene from NIMH and not act like they can do better.

Thank you. It's stuff like this that makes me feel sad inside to see animation history just get thrown away.

• Agree Agree x 16
    kiwifarms.net
  10. :story:
    I rather watch Don Bluth at his worst than most of the animations made by the people who talk shit about him because at least it will look visually interesting compare to someone's Tumblr like animations they probably made.

• Agree Agree x 19
    Agent Wet

Agent Wet its cold in here

kiwifarms.net
  11. Talent and skill are outdated. Just make a beanface bro.

• Feels Feels x 10
    Your Weird Fetish

Your Weird Fetish Intersectional fetishist

kiwifarms.net
  12. Hell. This one scene by itself beats anything that I've seen in any of the newer animation that's come out in the last ten years.

In the end when it comes to animation work that we've seen in history- what will be remembered 20-30 years later when the topic of cartoon animation is celebrated? (Off the top of my head- Disney, Pixar, Don Bluth....)

The cartoon that's the topic of this thread or Don Bluth's earlier films like The Secret Of Nimh, An American Tail and The Land Before Time? Most of the shit we currently see in this style won't last long term as great animation.

Honestly the snobbery in the way Calarts treats other artistic animation legends is probably a big recent why their work is shit lately.

• Agree Agree x 14
    #832 Oscar Wildean, Oct 11, 2018
    Oscar Wildean

kiwifarms.net
  13. Don Bluth kind of has a "reputation" if you know what I mean. There are a lot of animators who've had issues with the man and said he didn't treat them properly. You'll find a lot of them still wanting the money he owes them.

• Informative Informative x 12
    Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
  14. All of the "golden era" animators, e.g. Richard Williams, Don Bluth, Chuck Jones, Ralph Bakshi, etc. (and to an extent, people like Hayao Miyazaki and Will Vinton) made a name for themselves; they took their respective styles, copying others or not, and ingrained them into the genre- from being a single animator on a project to leading the entire animation studio for films and the like, essentially becoming a brand, like Walt Disney. These were usually huge projects, with hundreds of animators and tens of years combined work put into them, but they all usually had one name attached; like "Don Bluth's" or "Chuck Jones'"- and then, people think that all of that work was theirs.

They get to have this entire portfolio of work that's attributed to them, and the only thing they did was lead the project. Character designers, animators, writers, color timers, and tens of other people all work together to colloquially create "that" kind of style- under the big artist's name. It's Ken Anderson or Bill Peet's style just as much as it is "Walt Disney", for example. A lot of them have these big, giant egos; the kind that go "do you know who I am, what I did?"; and then, when they go to make their own projects, like Chuck Jones and his web-series or Don with his Kickstarter or Tapper game, they fall flat- because it was just one person, the brand. John K. is the biggest example of this that I know of, only having created one (marginally-known) cartoon and now having an ego the size of ACME's arsenal.

Not to say that they're legends, but the works they "created" were by large a group effort.

As for CalFarts and the modern era, all the long-time animators and directors have been relegated to WB, Disney, and Nickelodeon's legitimately "animated" properties, i.e. Young Justice, Milo Murphy's Law, Mystery Incorporated and the constant stream of direct-to-video releases. This new wave of special snowflake animation isn't any worse than all the Canadian Flash crap that came out in the late naughts- although even things like (the initial season of) Total Drama are much better developed than what gets thrown out now. It's just as demeaning to the original cartoons as things like Flintstones Kids and Baby Looney Tunes were; although even those weren't 1/10th as annoying or in-your-face as this Lisa Frank shit is.

CalArts is worse than Full Sail.

• Agree Agree x 9
    Dr. Stuart

Dr. Stuart delet this

kiwifarms.net
  15. Yeah, but the complaint about him we're mocking is "he draws too complex" not "he kites checks", anyway, one wonders if it's projection - a guy who isn't perhaps the best of people will go down in history as more influential and a "better" artist than these fine upstanding, moral, diverse, and progressive bean-mouthers... and that's sooooooooooooo UNFAIR!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    #835 TowinKarz, Oct 11, 2018
    TowinKarz

TowinKarz Actually WILL Call Somebody.....

kiwifarms.net
  16. It's actually kind of funny because amongst CalArts stuff Gumball is something of an outlier.

A major problem with CalArts' style is that it actively tries to culture a situation where the artists and animators are, for all intents and purposes, interchangable and replacable. If you're trying to push an agenda, this is fantastic for you, since it essentially keeps anyone who could do so inside the CalArts bubble, and not off the plantation where they can have troubling critical thinking skills develop. The whole "adopt a style and stick to it" paradigm means if someone does decide to go against the grain politically, they can be replaced and (hopefully) no one will ever know.

The amusing part is that this has fostered a sort of weird "survival of the fittest" style of show design where you'd fucking better do something unique to make your work stand out against the pack, or you'll have a flotilla of braindead idiots salivating over the chance to take what's yours. Humorously, this is what led to Gumball breaking away from the pack.

Gumball survived against the backdrop of CalArts crap in a way that other shows wouldn't be able to replicate: clever writing and ideas. Gumball threw in enough oblique humor and good ideas that it could afford to pull shit shows of its time couldn't, such as making fun of Tumblr and Social Justice or how pointing out sticking to principle and abandoning common-sense isn't necessarily going to keep the fucking lights on. It was able to do so with such aplomb that the usual tactic of putting a leash on anyone who defied the groupthink wasn't going to work because you can't fucking replace quality writing, as anyone even remotely familiar with animation knows.

I wish more shows would learn from this. If you wanna do well, you gotta differentiate yourself from the pack, and since most shows from CalArts have decided that verisimilitude, believable character motivations, continuity, character development, and source material no longer matters, the Gumball paradigm sort of creates an interesting way for enterprising artists and writers to cheat the system.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Jaimas

Jaimas Spooky b/w Scary
    True & Honest Fan Wiki Sysop

kiwifarms.net
  17. Nah, the reason you dont see black people in the Flintstones is because they were still monkeys in the stone age

also relevant

• Winner Winner x 7
    Judge Holden

Judge Holden Corpsefucker
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. Now I'm wondering if his reputation was similar to Disney's reputation. He wasn't as friendly as he acted on camera.

On the subject of CalArts- it's funny that it costs so much to go that school and it's so hard to get into. Yet they allow so many exceptional artists into the college.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Oscar Wildean

kiwifarms.net
  19. That's what gets me. Not only are Bluth's works beautiful, they were also innovative. One that should never be forgotten is Dragon's Lair--a video game, not a cartoon.

I'm going to add this: That scene was immediately preceded by a mad scramble to prevent Mrs. Brisby's children from drowning in that sinking cinder block--and failing--and before that, Justin and Jenner had an all-out sword fight with blood and lethal stabbings.

Oh, and there's swearing. In a children's cartoon. Bluth's work is hardcore.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Vorhtbame

Vorhtbame Knife control now!

kiwifarms.net
  20. Meh So Cal style is just another po-mo attack on meritocracy.

As style so bland and simple anyone could do it. There no art to it just some bland childish shapes and basic colors.

When everything is shit who can tell what's good?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Sweet and Savoury

Sweet and Savoury Null-like homunculus

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.