• "Mm, yeah."

tl;dr: Tarot is racistSo we have to make hideous QPOC ones for representation

Discussion in 'Art & Literature' started by Daughter of Pomona, Nov 12, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To bring the deck to life, the Asian American Literary Review initiated a Kickstarter campaign that raised over $13,000 in excess of its original, $10,000 goal. The success speaks to the profound need that Khúc’s deck attempts to meet—a need that I increasingly feel, too. When I bring up my own discomfort with existing tarot decks, Khúc agrees, pointing out the explicit political intention of the Asian American Mental Health Tarot. “The archetypes that are built into the traditional tarot deck are meant to be seen as universal. But it’s quite white and leaves out all kinds of experiences,” she notes. “It can make our experiences seem like they’re not understandable or not applicable to other people.”

https://catapult.co/stories/believe...he-artists-bringing-racial-diversity-to-tarot

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Islamic Content Islamic Content x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    Daughter of Pomona

Daughter of Pomona “O brave new world that has such people in it.”

kiwifarms.net
  2. Surprised they don't consider Tarot to be culturally appropriating gypsies

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    His Dewliness

His Dewliness One dope MLG pope

kiwifarms.net
  3. Tarot is autistic, not racist.

• Agree Agree x 10
    kiwifarms.net
  4. You could piss into a pot and dye it brown and be given a pat on the back for having diversity sensitivity at this point.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Feels Feels x 1
    MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid This will all end in tears, I just know it.

kiwifarms.net
  5. I can't wait to see what Persona's are under the Refugee Arcana!

"Ah yeah I just fused a sick Muhammad!"

• Like Like x 5
    Corrugated Daffodils

Corrugated Daffodils Worst Korea Catgirl

kiwifarms.net
  6. They have levels for that, iirc. Since they think that blacks are more oppressed than gypsies, it's fine if they appropriate their culture.

• Feels Feels x 1
    smolfag

smolfag მინდა პირველად,ერთხელ კაცთან სექსი

kiwifarms.net
  7. So even Tarot cards hate niggers. Maybe everyone else should, too.

• Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    AnOminous

AnOminous LOOK UPON ME BRO I'LL TELL YOU THE COOLEST STORY!
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  8. 29fc92b128f86a6b52f53228d092b92e.jpg

• Winner Winner x 7
    • DRINK DRINK x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Positron

Positron Lost wife. Total happiness in the World increased.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  9. You advance the Refugee social link after getting raped by the character that represents that arcana

Xerxes IX

Xerxes IX Even kebab cats will be removed

kiwifarms.net
  10. 0C81AB7A-DB24-4F77-A0F0-A4AA6C6C7C90.jpeg
    Or Jojo. “This must be the work of the enemy「Stand」Black Tranny!”

NotAKitty

NotAKitty The lemon is in play...
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. Khuced by being from an uncivilised shithole like Vietnam. South East Asians are Khucroaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    heathercho

heathercho wae yeppeun nal dugo gashina?

kiwifarms.net
  12. Saying gypsy at all is racist now, didn't you know?

• Informative Informative x 1
    Slumber Crasher

Slumber Crasher the stockings were hung

kiwifarms.net
  13. LGBT deck when?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Existential Crisis

Existential Crisis Perpetual

kiwifarms.net
  14. Wow, it must really suck that there's only the Rider-Waite tarot deck with all those white people.
    [​IMG]

And it really, really sucks that no one up until now has ever made a deck with alternate titles.

[​IMG]

Nope, it's always been Rider-Waite. That's the only one that's ever been published.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    swingbatta

swingbatta aaaaaaaaaa

kiwifarms.net
  15. Well, The Hanged Man should be black.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Doug_Hitzel

Doug_Hitzel A healthy, young man

kiwifarms.net
  16. I'm fond of the tarot myself (not an expert by any stretch of the imagination) so I'm gonna sperg a bit here. As said above there are many varients of decks with all sorts of themes. Not just the Rider-Waite deck which has a focus on alchemaic symbolism. There are so many multitudes of interpretations to the cards also, not everyone is going to read say, The High Priestess in the same way. That's what makes tarot so facinating. If this lady was just saying, "Hey, let's do a deck based on Asian and Pacific cultural symbolism! I'd like to fuse my own culture with this existing system." I'd be like, fuck yeah. That's cool. But if their first reaction to a tarot pack is being upset that there are white people and therefore cannot relate it to their lives, then I think they lack basic understanding on how tarot works. It looks like they are taking issue with the topics of the cards themselves, though I don't understand how cards like The Moon, The High Priest, The Lovers, etc. are exclusive concepts to white people. Adding in cards like The Refugee and The Model Minority is like- lady, you hate white folk so much that you had to make your own tarot deck to say how much you hate white people. That's weird.
    I guess you could argue that many cards reflect European class systems and that's what makes it so "white". The Minor Arcana has the Page (representing the peasent class) the Knight, and the King and Queen (nobility of course). In the Major Arcana you've got the High Priest representing the Pope in some decks. That's not a European exclusive class system though. Getting upset about it would require at least as much autism as me sitting here sperging about it! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    MerriedxReldnahc

MerriedxReldnahc The Chode Warrior
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  17. KF tarot with pictures of lolcows when?

I nominate CWC as the Empress, ADF as the Fool, Brad Watson as Hierophant.

Also, the Fapcup to replace the cups.

kiwifarms.net