Today I have... Thread. -

Clockwork_PurBle

"I got a B+ in lurking!"
kiwifarms.net
First day of summer after exams. Spent the day browsing the internet, I cleaned the house, went to the store, and went jogging.

Feels weird not having anything to do. No assignments, homework, school, etc. I feel like I'm wasting precious time but then I remind myself it's time to rest and do what I want for a change.

Clockwork_PurBle

"I got a B+ in lurking!"
kiwifarms.net
Today I had found out a college in my state had to pay lip service to a "task force" in removing Lilian Gish's name from a theater they named after her and her sister 40 years ago out of her having been in "Birth of a Nation".
https://bgindependentmedia.org/gish-name-gone-from-bgsu-film-theater/

Feeling really annoyed now.
What's the deal with "Birth of a Nation"? I don't remember.

J remember seeing that a theatre that plays older movies was forced to pull Gone With the Wind from its summer lineup of classics because "muh rayciss movie" a few years ago. Angery.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

MerriedxReldnahc

#1 Wogglebug Fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's the deal with "Birth of a Nation"? I don't remember.

J remember seeing that a theatre that plays older movies was forced to pull Gone With the Wind from its summer lineup of classics because "muh rayciss movie" a few years ago. Angery.
I haven't watched the whole thing because holy shit a three hour long silent movie, but it's centered around the after-effects of the civil war and for the most part shows the Ku Klux Klan in a glorified light. It's been said that this movie was the reason that the KKK had a rise in power during the 1920's. And I recall that some of the blackface was less of "goofy minstrel show slapstick" and more of " unhinged gorilla". Still ridiculous to remove a name from the theater just because of an unfortunate correlation. Kinda like declaring Boris Karloff problematic for being in that one really bad Fu Manchu movie.

Trilby

Hello kiwi lovers!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't watched the whole thing because holy shit a three hour long silent movie, but it's centered around the after-effects of the civil war and for the most part shows the Ku Klux Klan in a glorified light. It's been said that this movie was the reason that the KKK had a rise in power during the 1920's. And I recall that some of the blackface was less of "goofy minstrel show slapstick" and more of " unhinged gorilla". Still ridiculous to remove a name from the theater just because of an unfortunate correlation. Kinda like declaring Boris Karloff problematic for being in that one really bad Fu Manchu movie.
I saw it back in college from their 16mm print in the 90's! It's pretty much what you say it is. But yeah, they're using this one film for the reason they can no longer use this person's name. It's both unfair and ridiculous to downplay cinema's history like that.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I had to go into one of those damned things a couple times. They injected me with something that felt super cold (I want to say it was something like a gadolinium solution or whatever) and stuck me in for a while. I get a bit claustrophobic but not to the point where I'm having a serious issue with it - just feel generally uneasy.

Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino