Todd In The Shadows - You can't see his face, but you'll hear his opinions on pop music.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
used to enjoy his videos way back, but i stopped watching his shit after he a: complained about what he called the "white guy with an acoustic guitar" trope (despite the video being about Bruno Mars who isn't white) which struck me as unnecessarily bringing race into something that has nothing to do with it. and b: called a musician using just an acoustic guitar for their music "lazy." that struck me as so pretentious i completely stopped watching his content.

might be a bit of an overreaction but i tend to really enjoy acoustic guitar songs. plus i don't believe anyone who's put the time in to learn and get good at an instrument is lazy.
I actually felt the same way. Really liked his old stuff, but started getting put off by him constantly complaining about it.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Todd for me teeters just on the edge of lolcow and tolerable YouTube personality. He's done some stupid shit over the years from his tweets to being another dick possibly fucking Lindsay Ellis. But frankly he hasn't fallen into the same downward spiral Lindsay, Allison, or god forbid spoony and the troon jess ouatuk have.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
I discovered him recently and found his videos informative and entertaining. He's like Sideways(another youtuber specializing in music) but for pop music while Sideways is more into classical and score music.

Both suffer from the problem of inserting their personal politics into their videos that have nothing to do with politics at all. Which is annoying AF. Hopefully both will tone it down or remove political takes entirely. Probably won'tbut one can hope

• Informative
Reactions: Michael Jacks0n

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember he did a video for that Burno Mars song that’s “I would catch a grenade for you” and while watching it, I was just really weirded out that he kept ranting about how the song was toxic masculinity or something. I think that was when I really started noticing him inserting his own personal politics into his videos.

ComeoutandJULAY

BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND BU-BURN TO THE GROUND
kiwifarms.net
I remember he did a video for that Burno Mars song that’s “I would catch a grenade for you” and while watching it, I was just really weirded out that he kept ranting about how the song was toxic masculinity or something. I think that was when I really started noticing him inserting his own personal politics into his videos.
To be fair, that review was released way back in 2011, long before SJWs had a grasp on pop culture as firm as it is now.

I haven't seen that particular video in a while, so when it comes to it having aged poorly I'll take your word for it. Hell, I don't think I would have been a fan of his at all had I discovered him today instead of late 2011-early 2012 like I actually did. However, I do rewatch Todd's old reviews from time to time and they've all held up surprisingly well, especially the pop song reviews since those just on premise alone are doomed to date themselves (e.g., his old Lady Gaga/Kesha/Katy Perry videos). Sure, there's a running joke about him being notoriously bad at predicting the trajectories of artists' careers, but at least he's self-aware about it.

Come to think of it, I think that's part of the reason why he's been branching out a lot from that format lately—stuff like his OHW and Trainwreckords retrospectives lend themselves better to age because the subjects covered there are at least about a decade old.

Random Internet Person

3...2...1! Henshin!
kiwifarms.net
Todd for me teeters just on the edge of lolcow and tolerable YouTube personality. He's done some stupid shit over the years from his tweets to being another dick possibly fucking Lindsay Ellis. But frankly he hasn't fallen into the same downward spiral Lindsay, Allison, or god forbid spoony and the troon jess ouatuk have.
Honestly, that’s what’s been keeping me from making a thread for a while.

Tags
None