Tolkien general thread -

Finrod Felagund

Cannot seem to stop rap-battling.
kiwifarms.net
As of writing this OP (25 March), it is Tolkien Reading Day!

There hasn't been a general thread for Tolkien, and I'm very sure there are fellow kiwis out here who are wonderful fans of the Professor's works. So feel free to sperg from Aman to Beleriand about the books and adaptations.
On the subject of adaptations, if you're interested in the upcoming Amazon Prime series, this thread will cover you on it.

Graffiti canvas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tolkien threads end up making me regret being a fan. Invariably someone will get into a pissing contest with someone else about the correct pronunciation of some obscure Elvish word documented in the Silmarillion and what it implies to the lore. Next thing you know, people are REEE-ing and throwing temper tantrums on the internet about a fictional world.

That said though, I'm due for my re-read of LOTR. I also spent a shameful amount of time and money on LOTRO and for an MMO, it follows the lore closer than almost any 3rd party adaptation I've ever seen, at least through the first half of the game.

Nekromantik

I was phone!
kiwifarms.net
My father read me the Hobbit when I was 7. He had a hardback copy of the book that has a map in it, that's how I learned to read maps. He would have me find where the party was on the map after every chapter. And now his Tolkien books are mine. Every time I reread the books I still catch myself also following the adventure on the maps. (:_(

Graffiti canvas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What is Bombadil though
It's never really clear. I just decided that he was one of the Valar who fucked off super early to do his own thing and couldn't be arsed to deal with all the other important shit that happened.

Nigga just wanted to get drunk, sing songs and hang out with Goldberry, not fight a bunch of bullshit wars. Based hippie god of Middle Earth.

Finrod Felagund

Cannot seem to stop rap-battling.
kiwifarms.net
What is Bombadil though
Based hippie god of Middle Earth.
More or less the answer.

It's all up to the reader's wildest imaginations tbh. He could be a Maia like Melian, or one of the Valar like Yavanna and Aulë, or even a self-insert of the author himself. I'd like to believe he's the physical spirit of nature that is on Middle-earth.

[EDIT] formatting is sucking ass

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino