Tolkien was racist. Portrayed orcs, trolls and goblins as intrinsically evil - Liking Tolkien harms society. Also co-opted to REE at Trump.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
You can make an argument that fantasy works based on kingdoms and seeing people as monolithic races and the deserved destiny of born leaders and rulers inherently broaches into the territory of racism and prejudice, that's perfectly fair. After all, if you're a commoner in Minas Tirith, what's it matter to you if some mountain man named Aragorn spent his whole life hunting orcs in a land a thousand leagues away from you suddenly claims you need to bend a knee to him just because his ancestor from two millennia ago was the "rightful king"? And who is to say that the orcs don't deserve a chance to be heard and have peace... except that your only relation to them is the number of your family members they've killed and eaten. (Do Tolkien orcs eat their enemies? I can't remember.)

Now see, this of course broaches onto my bias as a citizen of a democracy. But I consider the two concepts inextricably linked. You can't have a society that argues its leader is who he is because he was "just born that way" and not have the same society decide everyone's worth, foreign and domestic, based on the circumstances of their birth too.

So what do you do? Declare all fantasy stories about kingdoms and royalty to be problematic and unacceptable? I'm sure the same people who want that also want you punished for opining "America is the land of opportunity" too though. I don't really care if they think the good guys in the story aren't really good guys, the author isn't a villain just because he doesn't write a sonichu plot where there is no complexity, doubt, or room for reflection.

The tl,dr as several have said is that the orcs were basically elves beaten to the cores of their souls until they were a broken slave force. So Tolkien himself opens the door wide for the audience to sympathize with them as innocent tortured people, it's right there! ...but that doesn't mean you just invite them into section 8 housing in Osgiliath five minutes after Barad-dûr collapses, complete with welfare credits and automatic forgiveness of war debt. Because if you want to be "understanding"of the reasons they laughed while raping and eating your farmers' children, then you need to be equally understanding of the reasons that those farmers and peasants won't open their arms and wallets.

Oh, should humans live by a higher standard than orcs just because they're a different race? Hmm, there's a word for that...

Martys_not_smarty

Birthday
kiwifarms.net
I love the fact that the lol-troll is a relatively common build in that game system despite only being useful for one specific role. A Troll with a light machine gun, carapace armor, and a fucking battleaxe is a good way for a runner team to respond to everything going tits-up. Just crash through and get your buddies out
Yup, a trog is the equivalent of an old school D&D fighter with 18/00 strength, I always liked the creativity involved in trying to explain how an 8 foot plus tall character goes about their daily life in a world with cities not unlike ours just more future-y, what do you do if you gotta shit? how much do you spend on food and booze? How much extra to get an old fashioned from some strange is it like a Roman pizza place where you pay by length and weight?

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
Yup, a trog is the equivalent of an old school D&D fighter with 18/00 strength, I always liked the creativity involved in trying to explain how an 8 foot plus tall character goes about their daily life in a world with cities not unlike ours just more future-y, what do you do if you gotta shit? how much do you spend on food and booze? How much extra to get an old fashioned from some strange is it like a Roman pizza place where you pay by length and weight?
Fantasy stories, both tolkienesk and "sci-fi" (star wars, etc) suffer from one fatal flaw when trying to make an analogy to racism: in the real world, humans are all one species, and the physiological distinction between any two groups is minimal at best. But orcs and wookiees and ferengi are literally different species with different biochemistry and mental development, the analogy breaks down. It's like saying you're racist for giving a dog a water bath but not a chinchilla, there are literal biological reasons why you don't give the chinchilla the same treatment.

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This strongly reminds me of the controversy over Goblin Slayer. Like the orcs in LotR, goblins are portrayed as an intrinsically evil, vile species. Some people have unironically said that it’s “fascist” to have an evil species because it promotes genocide or something (I mean, to be fair, I wholeheartedly support genocide against gobs because fuck them).

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
This strongly reminds me of the controversy over Goblin Slayer. Like the orcs in LotR, goblins are portrayed as an intrinsically evil, vile species. Some people have unironically said that it’s “fascist” to have an evil species because it promotes genocide or something (I mean, to be fair, I wholeheartedly support genocide against gobs because fuck them).
It's fair in that it doesn't make sense in real life. In the real world you don't just say "all X are evil". Everyone has reasons to join the cause they do, doesn't mean they shouldn't pay for the harm they do, but it does mean you don't deserve punishment for being part of a group. Whatever other criticism of the UN anyone may have, they made it clear that collective punishment should be defined as a war crime and I fully agree with that.

As I made a point of, sci-fi allegories break down when they try to allegorize different ideals or cultures as genetic concepts. In fact, arguably they greatly hurt the pursuit of human rights by treating weird cultural concepts as belonging to a different species because then it creates the excuse that "the other" can't help what they are and therefore no olive branch should be offered.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino