Tolkien was racist. Portrayed orcs, trolls and goblins as intrinsically evil - Liking Tolkien harms society. Also co-opted to REE at Trump.

3119967d0c

Sharif
kiwifarms.net
I thought the orcs were Nazis?
My understanding was that it was not so much that just the orcs were Nazis, as that Sauron was the embodiment of the Germany of British black propaganda and Tolkien's own Ludditist fantasies. Orcs existed well before the events of LoTR doing Orcish things, they just happened to be useful tools of Sauron.

The book isn't a particularly good metaphor for anything in real life because while the Hobbits are indeed the embodiment of the simple English country folk, as The Shadow points out, there is no real representation of the British Empire, an entity rivalled for pure evil only by the likes of the pre-Russified Soviet state before Stalin cemented power. Hobbits aren't deliberately starving their colonial subjects to death and using the war against Sauron as an excuse.

'The Hobbit' is a better book than any of the trilogy.

Brooklyn Red Leg

Future Citizen of AnCapitsan
kiwifarms.net
My understanding was that it was not so much that just the orcs were Nazis, as that Sauron was the embodiment of the Germany of British black propaganda and Tolkien's own Ludditist fantasies.
What the fuck? Tolkien clearly dispelled any notion that the War of the Ring was remotely ANYTHING like the Second World War in the Author's Note at the beginning of later editions.

3119967d0c

Sharif
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck? Tolkien clearly dispelled any notion that the War of the Ring was remotely ANYTHING like the Second World War in the Author's Note at the beginning of later editions.
I know that helps Varg Vikernes feel better about liking Tolkien, but I'm not about to compromise on my policy of trusting any Englishman no further than I could throw them.

KidKitty

Official Junior Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
Can't find for the life of me how 40k is mostly untouched on the current year of our lord.
They TRY, by the God Emperor. Clawing at the gates.

If the wanton ridiculousness of the entire setting alone doesn't immediately turn them off the efforts, then merely discussing certain factions opens up ample opportunities to shut'em down.

Take one of their favorite targets: The Imperium.

A technocratic society built on the foundations of secular progressivism that is violently against the idea of internal conflict - particularly of racial AND gender motive - due to being seen not only as a moral failing, but also a completely inefficient and inept cause to put the rest of the species at risk over when you've got extremely hostile aliens and the literal forces of Hell gunning for you without discrimination in mind. This is a concept even the lowest citizen understands, even if they may not truly grasp the scope of why or are even privy of the specifics regarding the latter.

These people absolutely loathe how pinpoint it is, how it justifies its own existence but - short of lying through their teeth and taking shit out of context - they can't in any shred of conscience or logic drag it into their aisle. That, and also because the 40k fandom is one of the few of its kind that is so autistically entrenched that they'll out-apeshit the most rabidly apeshit culture warriors.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
I still remember when some journalist made the connection that orcs were an allegory to black people. Because when I see a race of ugly, violent, brutish and intrinsically evil, piglike creatures, I think of black people.
This makes me think of when I was telling someone about the "theory" that a room fully of monkeys on typewriters would inadvertently write the complete works of Shakespeare, and he was like "dude, there's a black person sitting behind you" - apparently he thought the black guy would be offended by the mere mention of monkeys, although I was talking about a)the animal b)while describing a fairly wellknown thing...

Slimy Time

The Fang of Burnell
kiwifarms.net
This makes me think of when I was telling someone about the "theory" that a room fully of monkeys on typewriters would inadvertently write the complete works of Shakespeare, and he was like "dude, there's a black person sitting behind you" - apparently he thought the black guy would be offended by the mere mention of monkeys, although I was talking about a)the animal b)while describing a fairly wellknown thing...
This condescending attitude towards blacks and minorities is honestly disgusting. I think some call it "benevolent racism/sexism"...Oh, you poor stupid minority/woman, don't worry, we will protect you from the evil white person/men and their words. To me, that's worse than a person who is overtly racist/sexist, because you at least know where that person stands, as opposed to these other people who act as some two faced friend.

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
This condescending attitude towards blacks and minorities is honestly disgusting. I think some call it "benevolent racism/sexism"...Oh, you poor stupid minority/woman, don't worry, we will protect you from the evil white person/men and their words. To me, that's worse than a person who is overtly racist/sexist, because you at least know where that person stands, as opposed to these other people who act as some two faced friend.
This person wasn't an SJW, I don't wanna go too much into what I do but he legit has mental problems, so I think it came from a good place.

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
Christ, just wait till they find out that everyone preparing for the "zombie apocalypse" is just using zombies as an incognito term for shitskins.
Yeah, you don't want to know how many times this triggered the moderators on the zombie-survival forums. In fact on one forum in particular they actually banned people from using the term 'sheeple' (normies basically) due to it being too unkind or some BS like that.

Cardenio

Cheese?
kiwifarms.net
It makes me laugh, I've watched, read, and read a lot about Tolkein but I never felt any of his writing was racist. Orcs always just came off as a fantasy creatures.

I was more shocked by the things that were inspired by Tolkein, namely World of Warcraft where the human race had very caucasian dance emotes and the Orcs danced like MC Hammer. One of the /joke emotes you could make with the human was an orc variation of "Black man walks into a bar with a parrot..."

I guess what I'm trying to say is I just don't think Tolkein had prejudice in his heart, he was a man who gave so much thought about a world of make believe. I think we now see creators INSERT racism into their works because they're well very hacky. And then they blame Tolkein-esque fantasy as if he was to blame.

Last edited:

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Yup. Angels, Elves, Numenorians, White men analogues/black men analogues/arab analogues, dwarves, and hobbits are all portrayed as being susceptible to corruption
Dwarves are a curious case in that the rings of Sauron couldn't corrupt them as thoroughly as the other races since Dwarves were never meant to be part of the original pantheon of mortal races and big sky daddy decided to make an exception for letting them continue living anyway when he discovered one of his fuck-up sons went and made a race that wasn't meant to be, so all that would happen if you gave a Dwarf the One Ring is he'd become more greedy than usual with a dash of bitter and jaded in the mix.

Hortator

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don’t think orcs were intrinsically evil, they were just co-opted by Sauron.

I can’t remember if this was canon or not, but one of the appendix books mentioned that orcs later became farmers and merchants after the war. Naturally, it was hard to trust them at first.

Thank God Tolkein’s son isn’t going full J. K. Rowling and rewriting his father’s work. There has to be SOME modern Anglican literature left.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
(Do Tolkien orcs eat their enemies? I can't remember.)
Orcs would eat literal pig shit if they were feeling adventurous enough.
I'm just patiently waiting for these people to realize that Harry Potter is way way worse.

I mean, I like HP, but how is that these people haven't noticed wizards are practically ethno-nationalists who consider themselves being superior to every other group and want to live segregated from other people? Even the good guys like Harry or Mr. Weasley consider Muggles to be laughable or useless and are highly patronizing of them. Just because they don't want them dead doesn't mean they consider them equals. And not only muggles. They even consider wizards from other communities to be inferior too.
You forgot about the part where they keep literal slaves.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino