Law Tommy Robinson to face retrial over contempt of court charge - Back to the Muslim Gulag you go

EasyPeasy

Not So Great Britain
kiwifarms.net
Tommy Robinson will face new contempt of court proceedings over claims he filmed people in a criminal trial and broadcast the footage on social media, High Court judges have ruled today.

The former English Defence League leader, 36, was jailed for 13 months in May last year over alleged filming during one of a series of trials of a Huddersfield grooming gang.

But his conviction was quashed by the Court of Appeal in August and he was freed from prison having served two months of his sentence. Earlier this month however Attorney General Geoffrey Cox QC said he should face fresh proceedings.

Tommy Robinson will face new contempt of court proceedings over claims he filmed people in a criminal trial and broadcast the footage on social media, High Court judges have ruled today

Tommy Robinson will face new contempt of court proceedings over claims he filmed people in a criminal trial and broadcast the footage on social media, High Court judges have ruled today
And at a first hearing today it was decided that Robinson will go on trial once again with Andrew Caldecott QC, for the Attorney General claiming his conduct during the 2018 Leeds Crown Court trial was of 'great concern'.

The Attorney General contended that Robinson 'published the video knowing that there was some sort of reporting restriction in place.' And that publication of the video 'gave rise to a substantial risk that the course of justice would be seriously impeded'.

The QC said in his written argument that it was understood Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, will contend that he 'could not obtain any specific details of the reporting restriction order'.

But Mr Caldecott said the Attorney General 'does not accept this version of events'.

He told the court that in one part of the broadcast, Robinson said of a defendant: 'Harass him, find him, go knock on his door, follow him, see where he works, see what he's doing.'

The Attorney General contended that Robinson 'published the video knowing that there was some sort of reporting restriction in place'

The Attorney General contended that Robinson 'published the video knowing that there was some sort of reporting restriction in place'
Tommy Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, arrives at the Old Bailey this afternoon to face a contempt of court charge

Tommy Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, arrives at the Old Bailey this afternoon to face a contempt of court charge
Tommy Robinson arrives at the Old Bailey ahead of his latest contempt hearing today. It was decided earlier this month that he would face fresh proceedings

Tommy Robinson arrives at the Old Bailey ahead of his latest contempt hearing today. It was decided earlier this month that he would face fresh proceedings
Robinson made a brief speech to several hundred supporters outside the court, saying the case against him was 'politically motivated'

Robinson made a brief speech to several hundred supporters outside the court, saying the case against him was 'politically motivated'
Supporters of Tommy Robinson gather outside the Old Bailey ahead of the latest stage of a case against the former EDL leader over an allegation he committed contempt of court

Supporters of Tommy Robinson gather outside the Old Bailey ahead of the latest stage of a case against the former EDL leader over an allegation he committed contempt of court
A Tommy Robinson supporter wears a hat saying 'Make Britain Great Again' as she gathers alongside others outside the Old Bailey today

A Tommy Robinson supporter wears a hat saying 'Make Britain Great Again' as she gathers alongside others outside the Old Bailey today
Critics of Robinson have also gathered outside the Old Bailey today, some referencing recent incidents in which the 36-year-old had milkshake thrown over him

Critics of Robinson have also gathered outside the Old Bailey today, some referencing recent incidents in which the 36-year-old had milkshake thrown over him
Supporters of Tommy Robinson gather outside the Old Bailey, some dressed in Union Jacks and others waving flags

Supporters of Tommy Robinson gather outside the Old Bailey, some dressed in Union Jacks and others waving flags
In another passage, Mr Caldecott said Robinson discussed how his video would be shared and 'hopefully millions' of people would see it.

The barrister said: 'The Attorney General is extremely concerned that conduct of the kind, particularly in those two passages seen in the context of the wider video, should in any way be considered as acceptable.'

Mr Caldecott said that, in a witness statement, Robinson was 'plainly contending that his behaviour towards the defendants was lawful'.

He also noted it was 'unfortunate' that the history of the case was 'prolonged' and accepted it had caused increased stress for Robinson.

However, he said the matters complained of involved important issues and there were also 'policy reasons' for the case to go ahead.

After the court's decision was announced, the crowd booed and chanted 'shame on you'.

Lady Justice Sharp said permission would be given for fresh proceedings to go ahead on all grounds.

She said reasons for the decision would be given at a later date.

Tommy Robinson is flanked by security as he makes his way through crowds outside the Old Bailey this afternoon

Tommy Robinson is flanked by security as he makes his way through crowds outside the Old Bailey this afternoon
The 36-year-old (pictured outside the Old Bailey today) is standing for election as a Member of the European Parliament for the North West Region in the European elections later this month

The 36-year-old (pictured outside the Old Bailey today) is standing for election as a Member of the European Parliament for the North West Region in the European elections later this month
A man wears a Union Jack suit as he cheers in support for Tommy Robinson

A man wears a Union Jack suit as he cheers in support for Tommy Robinson
Robinson earlier today made a brief speech to his supporters outside the Old Bailey, saying the case against him was 'politically motivated'.

Hundreds had gathered outside the court ahead of the first hearing in the new case, which took place before two High Court judges.

There were believed to be around 400 supporters of Robinson, and also a counter- demonstration nearby organised by the Stand Up To Racism group.

Arguing in court today, lawyers for Robinson said he should not face fresh contempt of court proceedings due to his having already spent two 'exceptionally arduous' months in prison over the matter.

Lawyers representing Attorney General Geoffrey Cox QC outlined their case on the bringing of fresh proceedings during the hearing.

Mr Caldecott said the court should give 'due weight' to the Attorney General's assessment that fresh proceedings are in the public interest, but that it is 'not conclusive'.

Another appears to be videoing as he stands in support of Tommy Robinson outside the Old Bailey today

Another appears to be videoing as he stands in support of Tommy Robinson outside the Old Bailey today
Hundreds have gathered outside the Old Bailey today, with 400 supporters of Robinson believed to be in attendance

Hundreds have gathered outside the Old Bailey today, with 400 supporters of Robinson believed to be in attendance
The pro- and anti-Robinson groups have also been heard trading chants, with shouts of 'say it loud, say it clear - refugees are welcome here', being drowned out by those singing Tommy Robinson's name

The pro- and anti-Robinson groups have also been heard trading chants, with shouts of 'say it loud, say it clear - refugees are welcome here', being drowned out by those singing Tommy Robinson's name
Police are also in attendance outside the Old Bailey where Robinson is due to hear a fresh allegation of contempt of court

Police are also in attendance outside the Old Bailey where Robinson is due to hear a fresh allegation of contempt of court
A protestor holds up asign urging Tommy Robinson to not face fresh criminal action. Robinson was jailed in May last year after he filmed people involved in a criminal trial at Leeds Crown Court and broadcast the footage on social media

A protestor holds up asign urging Tommy Robinson to not face fresh criminal action. Robinson was jailed in May last year after he filmed people involved in a criminal trial at Leeds Crown Court and broadcast the footage on social media

The 36-year-old, from Luton, could be sent back to jail if he is again found in contempt, which carries a maximum sentence of two years

The 36-year-old, from Luton, could be sent back to jail if he is again found in contempt, which carries a maximum sentence of two years
In written submissions to the court, Mr Caldecott said that in correspondence, Robinson's solicitors 'have advanced various reasons why contempt proceedings should not be pursued'.

These include the 'exceptionally arduous' conditions of imprisonment he has already endured, a 'medical matter', delay, and 'cost to the public purse'.

Robinson from Luton, could be sent back to jail if he is again found in contempt, which carries a maximum sentence of two years.

He sat behind his lawyers throughout the hearing in court two, wearing a blue shirt and light-grey jacket - having changed out of a white 'Vote Tommy' T-shirt he was seen wearing when entering the building.

Today groups of Tommy Robinson supporters were occasionally heard breaking into chants of 'Tommy Robinson is going to be our MEP' and 'Oh Tommy Tommy, Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy Robinson'.

The pro- and anti-Robinson groups were also heard trading chants, with shouts of 'say it loud, say it clear - refugees are welcome here', being drowned out by those singing Tommy Robinson's name.

Demondstrators, one wearing a mask depicting US President Donald Trump, gather outside the Old Bailey today

Demondstrators, one wearing a mask depicting US President Donald Trump, gather outside the Old Bailey today
Supporters have urged others to join them outside the Old Bailey today, where Robinson is facing an allegation of contempt of court

Supporters have urged others to join them outside the Old Bailey today, where Robinson is facing an allegation of contempt of court
Supporters of Robinson gather outside The Old Bailey today ahead of his contempt of court hearing

Supporters of Robinson gather outside The Old Bailey today ahead of his contempt of court hearing

Robinson was jailed for 13 months in May last year after he filmed people involved in a criminal trial at Leeds Crown Court and broadcast the footage on social media.

The footage, lasting around an hour and a half, was watched 250,000 times within hours of being posted on Facebook.

It was filmed during one of a series of trials of a Huddersfield grooming gang, which was covered by strict reporting restrictions banning publication of any details until the end of the final one in September last year.

But a contempt finding made against Robinson was quashed by the Court of Appeal in August and he was freed from prison after serving two months of his sentence.

Recorder of London Nicholas Hilliard QC was due to hear the case at the Old Bailey, but referred the case to the Attorney General in October after receiving a statement from Robinson.

Robinson, who is standing for election as a Member of the European Parliament for the North West Region in the European elections later this month, has previously vowed to contest the Attorney General's decision

Robinson, who is standing for election as a Member of the European Parliament for the North West Region in the European elections later this month, has previously vowed to contest the Attorney General's decision
Critics have also gathered outside The Old Bailey today, where they are holding signs saying 'oppose Tommy Robinson'

Critics have also gathered outside The Old Bailey today, where they are holding signs saying 'oppose Tommy Robinson'
Some mentioned a recent incident in which Robinson had milkshake thrown over him while on the European election campaign trail

Some mentioned a recent incident in which Robinson had milkshake thrown over him while on the European election campaign trail
Robinson, who is standing for election as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the North West Region in the European elections later this month, has previously vowed to contest the Attorney General's decision.

Crowds of supporters gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice and the Old Bailey for the previous hearings and Robinson made an address at the October hearing.

A statement from the Attorney General's office on March 7 said Mr Cox had reached his decision based on an assessment of the evidence and whether it was in the 'wider public interest'.

Mr Cox said: 'After carefully considering the details of this case, I have concluded there are strong grounds to bring fresh contempt of court proceedings against Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson).

'As proceedings are now under way, it would not be appropriate to comment further and I remind everyone that it is an offence to comment on live court cases.'

His appearance in London today comes just weeks after he had two milkshakes thrown over him one day after the other while on the European election campaign trail.
The based judge has set the full hearing for 4 and 5 July at the Old Bailey, the fucking exact days he would take up office as an MEP if he wins election in the North East.

Last edited:

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hmmmm. Given that it was a relatively minor contempt offence in the first place, and that they're throwing an expensive QC at prosecuting him, this indicates that an example is to be made of him. Andrew Caldecott QC does not normally prosecute comparatively minor offences. As expected, they're throwing the book at him.

I'd be interested to see the Attorney General's written argument, actually, how this can be squared with the public interest, what remains of double jeopardy that we have here, and also the Court of Appeal's decision.

EasyPeasy

Not So Great Britain
kiwifarms.net
Hmmmm. Given that it was a relatively minor contempt offence in the first place, and that they're throwing an expensive QC at prosecuting him, this indicates that an example is to be made of him. Andrew Caldecott QC does not normally prosecute comparatively minor offences. As expected, they're throwing the book at him.

I'd be interested to see the Attorney General's written argument, actually, how this can be squared with the public interest, what remains of double jeopardy that we have here, and also the Court of Appeal's decision.
I really don't see how they can convict him again anyway. He did not prejudice any trial and one of the Muslim pedo's tried an appeal on the basis that Tommy prejudiced his trial but that was rejected with the high court judge saying Tommy had not prejudiced any trial. The new grounds for prosecution for contempt of court are that he hurt some Muslim pedo's feels after the jury had already returned the verdicts when they were on the way into the court house to be sentenced.

Reactions: Death Grip

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The new grounds for prosecution for contempt of court are that he hurt some Muslim pedo's feels after the jury had already returned the verdicts when they were on the way into the court house to be sentenced.
If that's right, then it would be bound to fail because the part of the trial that could have been prejudiced (i.e. any bit with jury involvement) was all over, and I'm pretty sure that calling for a particularly harsh or lenient sentence post conviction is not a contempt. If it was, then the Sun would have been in contempt all the bloody time what with its reeeeing about how everyone's a paedophile.

I suspect it must be more complicated than that. Like I said, I suspect they've got an angle but I'm curious as to what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Antique Rice

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hmmm. I dug up the previous judgement where his committal for contempt at Leeds Crown Court was overturned. From skim reading this, it seems that the Court of Appeal found that the Judge at Leeds wasn't entitled to immediately commit TR to prison for filming in the vicinity on a summary basis but should have been hived out to a separate set of proceedings. This would appear to be the initial hearing in respect of those further proceedings.

Of course, I'll just have to keep an eye open to see when today's judgement manifests itself (if it does). However I believe it would escape double jeopardy because the initial finding of contempt was one that the Judge was not entitled to make summarily within the course of some other trial. Therefore it is for a procedural reason that the Leeds conviction was overturned and can be retried following proper procedure.

EasyPeasy

Not So Great Britain
kiwifarms.net
So he's been in prison for three months without having been tried for any crime in a valid court?

I think that revolutionary war we fought was a good idea for more than just tea tax related reasons now...
He was basically arrested and jailed in just five hours without any due process and denied his solicitor. Then orders came from "the top" to move him to a prison highly populated with Muslim inmates obviously hoping they kill him. He survived and got bail pending appeal so it's now round two.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
. Then orders came from "the top" to move him to a prison highly populated with Muslim inmates obviously hoping they kill him.
Incorrect; he was sent to HMP Hull whose inmates were 7% Muslim according to their most recent HMP report (in 2015 I think it was). However, they did mew him up in solitary which somewhat hampered his ability to gain legal representation, that bit is true.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy fuck the 1984 levels of that graphic in the top right is off the charts. Jesus england is a terrifying dystopia already, isn't it...
I have visited HMP Onley to see a client of mine. This was about 2014, if I recall correctly. They let me get all the way up there from London on the train and taxi out to the nick itself and then told me that my client had been moved to HMP Lowdham Grange near Newark upon Trent. Like they couldn't bother to ring me first thing that morning and tell me. When I complained I was told that they have done their duty and wouldn't talk to me.

When I renewed the complaint in writing they made out it was my fault for not asking my client to tell me he was being moved.

I have visited HMP Onley to see a client of mine. This was about 2014, if I recall correctly. They let me get all the way up there from London on the train and taxi out to the nick itself and then told me that my client had been moved to HMP Lowdham Grange near Newark upon Trent. Like they couldn't bother to ring me first thing that morning and tell me. When I complained I was told that they have done their duty and wouldn't talk to me.

When I renewed the complaint in writing they made out it was my fault for not asking my client to tell me he was being moved.
That's horrible, disgusting, just shitty. Like, damn, it's hard to put into words the level of offense I feel about that.

I mean I've been casually talking to a goddamn lawyer! :P

But seriously that does suck.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net

You got a loicense for that complaint, guv?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino