Let's Sperg Touhoumon (Screenshot LP) - Please Wait Warmly - Yet Another Pokémon Let's Sperg

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
So, is it safe to assume this game is you fighting a bunch of lolis with even smaller lolis?
Completely unfair. Some of them are hags.
A Touhou/Pokemon crossover? I know nothing about Touhou, other than the fact perverts tend to like it. But I'll read because the Kiwi Farms Let's Sperg Pokemon Fangame Screenshot Let's Play Extended Universe needs their version of Moviebob.
MC-kun started out a more generic neckbeard than simply Bob, but between the basement apartment, yellow fever and desire to exterminate youkai for a superior future, the glove definitely fits.

Govt. Shitposting Machine

All posts are fastman™ approved
kiwifarms.net
Man out of all the Pokemon clone games, Puppet Performance really is top tier. Based Touhoufags at it again.
Also you got so much farther than me when I played. idk Why but it always feels like these kind of games are comfier on a handheld so I never bothered past the tutorial Sadly you can't emulate .exes on a Switch or whatever.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
gn_enbu_ss000.png
Starting his way down route 3, MC-kun finds a necklace lying around in a pot near some crops. He deserves it more than those farmers.
gn_enbu_ss001.png
He also has a chat with someone who turns out not to be a trainer.
gn_enbu_ss002.png
And donates at the road shrine for luck. Not because he believes in primitive superstitions, of course.
gn_enbu_ss003.pnggn_enbu_ss004.png
Turns out that the farmer isn't even human. MC-kun prepares for some extermination.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
It proves no match for Baka.
gn_enbu_ss006.pnggn_enbu_ss007.png
gn_enbu_ss008.png
gn_enbu_ss009.pnggn_enbu_ss010.png
Turns out that she was only blocking the path to an item.
It's our first usable held item, and with it I learn that I had misunderstood how the system works: it can't be equipped alongside a passive item. So as not to strip Baka of her cheat item, we instead give it to Keine.
gn_enbu_ss011.png
In the grass, we encounter our first PC-98 character. She's from Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream, though, and thus not technically a midboss, for which we're on the lookout. Still, it means that we're on our way to getting that requested member of our party.
gn_enbu_ss012.png
She still bullies Chen to death when I try to spread out the XP a bit more.
gn_enbu_ss013.png
Baka gets the option to learn Endure out of the deal, but she's the strongest, so MC-kun sees no reason to teach it to her.
gn_enbu_ss014.png
Mamizou told us to head to the mausoleum behind the Temple and to avoid the Temple itself. MC-kun isn't about to pay too much attention.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
Instead, he steals some food from beside a shrine. He's getting peckish.
gn_enbu_ss016.png
There is no room in MC-kun's life for people who don't have their Puppets fight. They're obsolete.
gn_enbu_ss017.png
To wash down the food, MC-kun pinches some sacramental sake. He then heads into the house and encounters a travelling merchant. There's nothing interesting on sale.
While selling the assorted bric-a-brac he's collected in battles (against his every hoarding instinct), he once again takes a long, hard look at his console. He briefly considers selling it; the merchant offers a high price, but he can't bear the thought of doing so. He loves it more than his family, after all.
gn_enbu_ss019.pnggn_enbu_ss020.png
Setting out again, he is challenged by a pervert.
MC-kun has little room to be judgemental, but that's never stopped him before. He chides the furry for her disgusting fetishes.
gn_enbu_ss021.png
Especially when her first Puppet's tails are less impressive than hers. Chen proves no match for Keine.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
Her other Puppet turns the match into a duel of werewolves, where one has five levels and a massive type advantage over the other.
gn_enbu_ss023.png
Kagerou is bullied almost as hard as the time when Elon Musk called her a catgirl.
gn_enbu_ss024.png
And the furry attempts to spread her degeneracy. MC-kun considers taking the opportunity to have someone else fill a plate for him at the buffet, but Baka glares daggers at him and he declines.
gn_enbu_ss025.png
gn_enbu_ss026.png
Turns out that the warnings about Puppets in barrels had something to them. MC-kun is briefly startled as he's jumped by a Wriggle.
gn_enbu_ss028.png
She doesn't put up much of a fight. He seals her regardless, because she's a member of the same terrorist group as Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss062.pnggn_enbu_ss063.png
gn_enbu_ss029.png
Turns out that there's nothing more to be done down that path.
gn_enbu_ss030.png
Another obsolete gives him advice without fighting.
gn_enbu_ss031.png
MC-kun does not like these statues. They mock him.
gn_enbu_ss032.pnggn_enbu_ss033.png
These two are not a double battle opportunity. They're just shills, there to promote the local Buddhist magician. MC-kun hears them out; they're not Christian, after all.
gn_enbu_ss034.png
MC-kun soon stumbles across a Puppet riding a UFO. He knows that he has to catch it; it's his fastest route to the moon and its wheat.

gn_enbu_ss035.png
He doesn't waste a moment.
gn_enbu_ss060.pnggn_enbu_ss061.png
A shame about the IVs, but I'm really not good enough at Pokémon to care.
gn_enbu_ss036.pnggn_enbu_ss037.png
Disgusted by the trans-erasure of this obsolescent, MC-kun prepares to battle.
gn_enbu_ss038.png
MC-kun doesn't actually have a good counter against Sound-types like Benben; his new Nue would do it, but he'd have to fetch her.
gn_enbu_ss039.png
Even after landing a crit, however, she's no match for Baka.
gn_enbu_ss040.png
She's followed by her sister Yatsuhashi. Widely known as "Not-Benben" and almost entirely irrelevant, there's a good argument that she's the most obscure Windows-era 2hu.
gn_enbu_ss041.png
She falls to a single crit from Baka.
gn_enbu_ss042.png
Last up is the final member of the Touhou 14 musician trio. Her fight goes much like the first, and so the tomboy falls.
gn_enbu_ss046.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou could never hope to have a bond with a Puppet like that between me and Baka, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss047.pnggn_enbu_ss048.png
The path ends abruptly. There's no bridge here to cross.
gn_enbu_ss049.png
The main road takes MC-kun straight to the Buddhist temple. It's perfectly maintained and almost devoid of hostile trainers. No wonder this place is in good condition and no-one donates at the Hakurei Shrine.
gn_enbu_ss050.png
Ghouls. Wasteland ghouls, outside the safety of the Human Village. Nonetheless, MC-kun presses on, finding some people wandering in the temple grounds.
gn_enbu_ss052.png
Not only is this an obsolete youkai talking, MC-kun could not disagree more strongly with the statement. He knows that there are people out there who would rob him of the future that he deserves.
gn_enbu_ss053.pnggn_enbu_ss054.png
A fair warning. MC-kun knows not to trust youkai and now hears that even the noble eastern monk has been deceived.
gn_enbu_ss055.png
"Who could have written a sign like this?" MC-kun wonders.
gn_enbu_ss056.pnggn_enbu_ss057.png
Past the sign there is a storeroom. Within the storeroom there is a charm. MC-kun pockets it.
gn_enbu_ss058.png
The Myouren Temple looks fairly impressive. MC-kun was warned to stick away, but he knows what's best for him. Panting from climbing the stairs that led up to it, he heads inside.
gn_enbu_ss059.png
Inside the Temple there is an Akyuu Puppet. Out with the old and in with the new; MC-kun replaces Daiyousei and Nazrin with Nue and Wriggle.
gn_enbu_ss064.png
For all of the praise people have been lathering on the mysterious monk, she's not around. MC-kun takes the opportunity to catch his breath, lounging about the Temple.
gn_enbu_ss065.png
MC-kun starts exploring the temple's surrounds. Someone just left a cuppa lying about. He takes it, to douse a Puppet at a later date.
gn_enbu_ss066.png
For you.
gn_enbu_ss067.pnggn_enbu_ss068.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThe only sutra I know is the kama sutra. Wanna join me?
gn_enbu_ss069.pnggn_enbu_ss070.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngLife without drinking isn't worth living.
gn_enbu_ss071.pnggn_enbu_ss072.png
gn_enbu_ss073.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIt's obvious. I'm a human, so humans are good and youkai are evil.
gn_enbu_ss074.png
MC-kun runs into a dog cleaning some tall grass further up the steps towards the cemetery. It attacks. He does too.
gn_enbu_ss075.png
He sends in Nue, but she gets hit hard enough simply switching in that it's right back out for her.
With that, the time has come to stop procrastinating.
gn_enbu_ss077.png
Despite his recent rest, MC-kun is winded once again by the time he reaches the cemetery.
He feels something strange come over him as he wanders between the gravestones.
gn_enbu_ss078.pnggn_enbu_ss079.png
He then sees a hint of movement and chases afterwards, thinking it is a dog. Barely perceiving what's happening, he ends up in a fight with a ghost.
gn_enbu_ss080.png
It deploys a half-ghostly Puppet.
gn_enbu_ss081.png
Keine deploys her laser and annihilates Youmu in a single shot.
gn_enbu_ss082.png
gn_enbu_ss084.png
This gets Keine a new skill. She's been so consistently useful that it's tempting to bring her to the front of the party, but MC-kun will not tolerate the thought of anyone but Baka following him in the overworld.
He's barely named any of his other catches, even.
gn_enbu_ss085.png
We also note here that you can relearn forgotten skills for which you qualified through levelling.
gn_enbu_ss086.png
We encounter a zombie in the wild. It's not the sort of thing we want to catch; MC-kun doesn't want any wasteland undead.
gn_enbu_ss087.png
Thinking that he's in Dark Souls, MC-kun draws the bucket from a well.
gn_enbu_ss088.png
Turns out there's a youkai inside. She gets promptly sealed, but only after showing off a nasty trick.
gn_enbu_ss089.png
gn_enbu_ss090.pnggn_enbu_ss091.png
She can apply burn and can't be one-hit. Most status effects can be stuck twice, so with some speed, she's a vicious debuffer. We might as well bring her along, with a farewell to Chen.
gn_enbu_ss092.pnggn_enbu_ss093.png
Also within the graveyard, we're attacked by an umbrella.
gn_enbu_ss094.png
She opens with a dog. It quickly falls.
gn_enbu_ss095.png
She then switches into herself, debuffing Baka on entry.
gn_enbu_ss096.png
Nue switches in to a crit because I forgot that her electric-type move was a meme.
Thunderclap has the equivalent, in Pokémon terms, of no damage, 1 PP and a 100% flinch chance.
As such, it's off with the UFO once again.
gn_enbu_ss097.png
Baka returns to some ineffectual flailing and makes short work of Kogasa.
gn_enbu_ss098.png
Rather than eating people directly, Kogasa feeds on their surprise. MC-kun feels none, however; his superiority was thoroughly predictable.
gn_enbu_ss099.png
We steal a hairpin that boosts skills in a type of which we currently have no representation.
We also pick up a few new skills after defeating Kogasa.
gn_enbu_ss100.png
gn_enbu_ss101.png
It's dark time, with Kisume getting a much better deal than Wriggle. There might be a future for our bucket-dweller.
gn_enbu_ss102.png
Surrounded by graves and excited by his theft, MC-kun realises what's been bugging him ever since he entered the graveyard.
His mind drifts back to the death of his grandmother, years before. The funeral had been held in a cemetery not altogether different to this one.
He'd hidden in his car throughout the service, taking comfort in the presence of his handheld console.
He remembers reading the plot of an old early 21st-century anime on Wikipaedo: Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
In Another World with My Smartphone.
mc-kun_lookright.png
I'm an isekai protagonist myself. Why should I be any lesser? Let me cheat!
I deserve this, gaphag!​
gn_enbu_ss103.png
With that, he looks into his pack, examining the console he never sold. He cracks it open and, driven by his burning social media withdrawal, it flickers to life.
1617227123223.png
Fortunately, exactly the cartridge he needs is loaded.
He hurries to the socials, Snaps a selfie. Almost reverentially applies a piss filter to his avatar in Mario Paint.
1617229000804.png
His excited reverie lasts for almost five seconds before he gets into an argument about Gamergate with a trainer from the Reborn Region.
Hours of argument later, MC-kun puts away his console, fuming, and returns to his task at hand.
gn_enbu_ss104.png
Stealing from the graveyard, that is to say.
gn_enbu_ss106.pnggn_enbu_ss107.png
He also heads towards the mausoleum proper, confronting the zombie that blocks his way.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
Unusually, she leads with herself.
gn_enbu_ss109.png
Baka barely defeats her after eating a super-effective attack that I stupidly was not expecting, only for Yoshika to send out a second copy of herself.
That's when I remember that, just like in regular Pokémon, Steel is immune to Poison and, once again, Keine the monotyped Steel Puppet is here to carry us.
gn_enbu_ss111.png
Only to be faced by a third Yoshika.
gn_enbu_ss112.pnggn_enbu_ss113.png
One crit is almost, but not quite enough, but the follow-up finally cleans up the zombie horde.
gn_enbu_ss114.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThat's right, friendo. Don't you know who I am?
gn_enbu_ss116.png
This gets Nue an actual electric attack, so I won't have to make the same mistake as before again.
gn_enbu_ss118.png
Akyuu also picks up a priority move. She's still probably going to be the next Puppet we replace.
gn_enbu_ss115.png
Continuing to loot the graveyard, MC-kun finds his first upgrade to a Sealing Thread.
gn_enbu_ss119.png
Descending a fairly sheer mountainside, MC-kun marvels at the fact that, for once, he's not having to climb up stairs.
gn_enbu_ss120.png
It's a new zone, as MC-kun heads into the cave and the Subterranean Animism music starts to play.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
Turns out that it works exactly as you'd expect from a cave in a game like this, and MC-kun quickly stumbles onto the other half of the duo in the song here.
MC-kun, however, still has no time for zombies and necrophiles.
gn_enbu_ss122.png
Kisume makes her debut on the team and, unlike others, doesn't actually fumble it, even if it's just a wild battle.
gn_enbu_ss123.png
Seems Contract Threads are just lying about the place here. Maybe I've unknowingly fallen behind the curve by just following the story.
gn_enbu_ss124.png
Not long afterwards, MC-kun comes across a large doorway set into the cave. He fearlessly passes through.
gn_enbu_ss125.png
Fence aside, the Great Mausoleum doesn't initially look all that different.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
But dirt soon gives way to cobblestone, then water.
gn_enbu_ss127.png
gn_enbu_ss128.png
MC-kun stops briefly to admire his own reflection before wading further through the shallows and up to the Mausoleum itself.
gn_enbu_ss129.png
He's swiftly interrupted.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNone of you obsolescents can stop me.
I am Seiga.seiga_neutral.png
Even if I have nothing against you, I'll attack you anyway.​
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou'd better believe I have something against you. :tomgirl:
gn_enbu_ss132.png
gn_enbu_ss133.png
Seiga opens with Yoshika. At this point, MC-kun knows what to do.
gn_enbu_ss134.pnggn_enbu_ss135.png
About as you'd expect, really.
gn_enbu_ss136.png
The fight remains one-sided, even if Yoshika does know non-useless moves.
gn_enbu_ss137.png
Next up is Seiga herself. She's one of the first Puppets in a long while to pose an actual threat after Keine's first laser misses.
gn_enbu_ss138.png
The second attempt is more successful, but Seiga is faster and so for once MC-kun is forced to resort to a healing item.
gn_enbu_ss139.png
That swiftly deals with Seiga.
gn_enbu_ss140.png
All that remains is another Yoshika, and the result of the matchup when it comes to werewolf versus zombie is already well-established.
gn_enbu_ss141.png
seiga_neutral.pngAre you the new disciple?
If so, it was meaningless to stop you.​
I'm no disciple of yours.mc-kun_lookleft.png
gn_enbu_ss142.png
MC-kun reflects at this point on just how well the whole harem business is going.
gn_enbu_ss143.png
Seiga just steps aside, however.
gn_enbu_ss144.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIf that's what you want to call it.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
MC-kun steps through the now-unguarded doorway into somewhere completely different.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
It has tall grass and a new environment background.
After the fighting, there are some new skills to purchase too.
gn_enbu_ss147.png
Baka grabs something interesting, if not necessarily all that useful in the long run.
gn_enbu_ss148.png
Kisume, meanwhile, just picks up a damaging fire attack.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
MC-kun follows the grandiose path.
gn_enbu_ss149.png
Outside yet another fancy doorway, he encounters a simp. He's not entirely sure what to make of this apprentice, especially when he's mostly here for a book.
gn_enbu_ss151.png
With some trepidation, he passes into the palace. There are many people milling about the courtyard. He approaches the first.
gn_enbu_ss152.png
At this, his view of the situation shatters. A woman.
A true and honest woman.
Who is also a Crown Prince.
What a catch for his harem!
MC-kun knows now what he must do.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
I accidentally pressed post, so the ending to this one is a bit abrupt.
His course set, MC-kun chats with the others about the courtyard.
gn_enbu_ss000.pnggn_enbu_ss001.png
Some girl tells him to rest. He finds himself powerless to resist, not just because he's already heavily winded.
gn_enbu_ss002.png
He also runs into an old man. Another supplicant, it seems.
gn_enbu_ss003.png
All that leaves is a ghost blocking the door.
gn_enbu_ss004.pnggn_enbu_ss006.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou'd better let me in, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss008.pnggn_enbu_ss009.png
gn_enbu_ss010.png
As is the way of things, it all comes down to a battle. It's a bad matchup for Baka, so Akyuu is given a chance to prove herself.
gn_enbu_ss011.png
Just switching her in causes problems. Turns out that relying on a human puppet might not be the best idea.
gn_enbu_ss012.png
Akyuu makes an attempt and holds on against all odds, but MC-kun swiftly sacrifices her to throw out another priority attack and not eat a switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss013.png
We need a spread attacker and so Kisume is up next.
gn_enbu_ss014.png
She performs admirably against Tojiko's second copy of herself. So much so that MC-kun is overcome with a fit of sentimentality and switches her out to let Nue finish the fight.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
gn_enbu_ss016.pnggn_enbu_ss017.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'll go exactly where I want. You can't stop me.
He does still check if she has anything more to say.
gn_enbu_ss018.pnggn_enbu_ss019.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngAm I supposed to know what a Futo is?
gn_enbu_ss020.png
Through the gates, someone explains to MC-kun how the whole area can fit within a tower in a cave.
Realising that he's now gone to another new world, he briefly wonders whether he's due any new powers.
gn_enbu_ss021.png
An obsolete farmer tries to speak to him. Almost as soon as the man opens his mouth, MC-kun starts digging through his bag for his console.
A brief Twitter break of several hours later, it's time to proceed.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
Another door, another guard.
mc-kun_lookright.pngEven your words are obsolete.
gn_enbu_ss023.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI've never even met your Crown Prince, regrettably. I intend to change that.
gn_enbu_ss024.png
mc-kun_lookright.png :tomgirl:
gn_enbu_ss025.pnggn_enbu_ss026.png
Another fight. A bit more variety this time, though.
gn_enbu_ss027.png
Futo opens with Seiga. We know what to do at this point and deploy Kisume.
gn_enbu_ss028.png
The AI is getting more intelligent, though. Rather than just letting Seiga eat a Bloody Storm, Futo switches into herself, a shrewd move that reverses the type advantage.
gn_enbu_ss029.png
MC-kun responds in turn, throwing Nue at the problem.
gn_enbu_ss031.png
Given how understated a lot of attacks have been, I was not expecting Lightning Strike's energy as I used it for the first time. It knocks out Futo immediately.
That just leaves Seiga; Wriggle tries to clean up the battle.
gn_enbu_ss032.png
But I'm taken off-guard by Seiga's options and she eats a super-effective hit on switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss033.pnggn_enbu_ss034.png
She's sacrificed to give Kisume a free switch back into the fight. The mysterious bucket-dweller once again proves herself superior to the firefly.
gn_enbu_ss036.pnggn_enbu_ss037.png
gn_enbu_ss038.pnggn_enbu_ss039.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThe ghost was right. You don't shut up, do you?
gn_enbu_ss040.pnggn_enbu_ss041.png
gn_enbu_ss042.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm no charlatan. I'm the real deal, friendo.
The battle was profitable, however; three new skills are available as a result.
gn_enbu_ss035.png
gn_enbu_ss044.pnggn_enbu_ss045.png
Nue replaces her starting Thunderclap. In the process, I also see that its nature continues to its cost to relearn. I also notice for the first time that Thunderclap is Priority 3. Most moves are 0; our one priority attack has 1.
gn_enbu_ss046.png
Wriggle picks up the same attack that annihilated her in the last battle.
gn_enbu_ss047.png
Kisume, meanwhile, trades out her 100-accuracy burn for an 85-accuracy burn and blind. Blind is a new status effect that greatly reduces FoAtk. Since burn doesn't do that in this game, instead being purely a stackable DoT, this nicely replicates actual Pokémon's Will-o'-Wisp.
gn_enbu_ss048.png
After boasting about his Puppeteering skills for a while on social media, MC-kun heads into the palace. It's as ostentatious on the inside as it appears on the exterior.
gn_enbu_ss049.png
MC-kun doffs his cap.
mc-kun_lookright.pngM'lady.
gn_enbu_ss050.png
gn_enbu_ss051.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThat's not greed, m'lady. :tomgirl:
gn_enbu_ss052.png
MC-kun's interest in this TRUE & HONEST Crown Prince is quickly fading in the face of this smug furry. He tunes out, booting up his handheld to go and rant about the superiority of western comics to manga despite having read almost none of either.
MC-kun entirely misses any insinuations that he might have been set up to this.
gn_enbu_ss055.pnggn_enbu_ss056.png
That catches his attention. He's always happy to send Baka into action.
gn_enbu_ss058.png
gn_enbu_ss059.png
Baka is still overlevelled, but the levels of enemy Puppets are finally increasing.
Despite a type disadvantage, Baka still decides to try out a new skill.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
Here, Miko perhaps miscalls my actions and switches out into Futo.
gn_enbu_ss061.png
Baka shows that laser is not difficult.
gn_enbu_ss062.png
It's also not particularly effective, especially since Futo hobbles Baka's offence on switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss063.png
As I bring in Nue in response, Futo sets up the first terrain effect I've seen this game.
It's nowhere near as in-depth as the Pokemon Essentials terrains we've seen elsewhere in the Kiwi Farms Let's Sperg Pokemon Fangames Extended Universe, but there are a number of skills that set up field effects. In this case, we have Seiryu, the Azure Dragon and thus fully appropriate for a Taoist to be throwing around.
I grabbed the description from the wiki.
When Seiryu is in effect, the elemental affinity between Skills and Puppets becomes neutralized. This means that every skill that could previously damage a puppet will hit for neutral damage, as opposed to being super-effective or not very effective. Skills that had no compatibility to begin with will have no changes.
  • Immunities, even those provided by abilities like Dark Clothing, will still apply during Seiryu.
  • Additionally, in the case of the ability Frail Health, Dream type moves are unaffected by Seiryu and will still ignore the ability.
The terrain neuters super-effective attacks, which definitely affects my strategy. Nonetheless, Nue throws out a lightning bolt.
gn_enbu_ss064.png
Only for Tojiko to appear and take it instead.
We let Nue stick around for now and try to handle things without the type crutch that usually lets non-Baka Puppets shine.
gn_enbu_ss065.png
The switching continues, finally giving us a glimpse of Miko's ace, Miko.
gn_enbu_ss066.png
One attack does this to Nue, while Miko's ability raises her speed. We're going to need our big guns.
gn_enbu_ss067.png
Switches on both sides later and it's Baka vs Futo.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
Futo continues to tank through Baka's damage output easily, redeploying the terrain the instant it falls, then landing a vicious crit.
gn_enbu_ss069.png
We hurriedly spam switches and I realise that I might be in trouble as Keine bounces off Miko's high FoDef. I realise here the problem with my two best Puppets being all-in on FoAtk.
gn_enbu_ss070.png
Thinking that I've outwit the AI, I take a gamble and have Keine take another shot.
gn_enbu_ss071.png
It turns out that I was wrong and Miko takes a retaliatory swing after she survives.
gn_enbu_ss072.png
Keine lives the one-HP dream, however. I'm left with trying to call whether or not she still outspeeds Miko between paralysis and two ability-granted speed ups.
gn_enbu_ss073.png
She does. MC-kun breathes a sigh of relief.
gn_enbu_ss074.png
To keep Keine alive, Akyuu is sent forward. She's one of our few SpAtk Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss075.png
She's still not particularly effectual against Tojiko. I consider sacrificing her to heal up Nue or Keine for later use when I come to a realisation.
gn_enbu_ss076.png
MC-kun, in his gluttony, ate all his healing items. I didn't restock on them, so I'm left with just a Revive and a Full Heal, neither of which is presently useful.
gn_enbu_ss077.png
I take a gamble on a priority move. Futo switches in and, between high FoDef, a debuff on switch-in and it not being very effective, it barely tickles. Akyuu attempts a regular attack, but Futo is done setting up terrain.
gn_enbu_ss078.png
Kisume takes her place in the line of battle. Not a great idea when types aren't nullified; she narrowly hangs on through a super-effective hit before finishing off Futo. I switch to Wriggle to try and get the broadest possible XP split.
gn_enbu_ss079.png
It's not looking great for her as she loses a substantial amount of life from what is essentially Tackle. I'm willing to sacrifice her if it gets Nue a clean switch-in, though.
gn_enbu_ss080.png
A foolish move, as it turns out. Tojiko outspeeds Nue and takes her down before she can strike the killing blow.
gn_enbu_ss081.png
At this point, things aren't looking great for MC-kun. Baka is at a type disadvantage and a FoAtk sweeper against a FoDef tank, but she'll give it all she's got. She's the strongest, after all. Will the power of an unbreakable bond prevail?
gn_enbu_ss082.png
It does. Baka is faster and strikes the winning blow.
With all that said, I wasn't expecting the difficulty spike Miko brought. I still made it through in one attempt, but it could easily have gone the other way. It's not the nonsense difficulty of some of the other fangames played here, but after Rumia was a pushover I'd somewhat assumed that the game's inspiration from Gen. 6 meant that it'd be somewhat braindead. Hopefully those times are over.
MC-kun tries his best to keep his composure after the close battle.
gn_enbu_ss083.png
MC-kun is torn between his sense of superiority and his Sinophilia. The former wins out, however.
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou should have expected it. I'm the best. I can bench 300lbs.
gn_enbu_ss085.pnggn_enbu_ss086.png
gn_enbu_ss087.png
gn_enbu_ss088.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm a human of superior intellect.
gn_enbu_ss089.png
gn_enbu_ss090.png
With that, MC-kun is done with the Taoists. As he turns to leave, however, he notices an open door in the palace that was previously shut.
gn_enbu_ss091.png
He steals some food and pauses briefly to admire himself in the mirror before leaving.
It's a long walk back towards the Temple.
Eventually, he leaves the caves, only to see someone strangely familiar.
gn_enbu_ss093.png
gn_enbu_ss095.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDo I know you?
Oh my, seems this is your first time seeing me in this form.mamizou_smug.png
The human that gave you some guidance some time ago... was this here youkai, Mamizou.​
mc-kun_lookright.pngTwitter will love my takes on the duplicity of obsolete youkai.
MC-kun digs out his console. He's informed that he's been reported and will have to delete a few Tweets to get access to his account. He almost throws the Nintendo at Mamizou before collecting himself and doing so. Nothing is more important to him than Twitter, except Baka.
This is who I really am. My bad for tricking you.mamizou_smug.png
Now then. You gotta look for these youma books on your own after this. I have no idea where any more could be either.
I guess that's the end of that.
Seems like that Hieda has got somethin' to say to you when you get back to the village.
If we run into each other again, maybe we'll have a battle.​
With that, the tanuki departs, leaving MC-kun to his own devices, where he continues to engage in flame wars for a good while.
MC-kun is utterly exhausted by the time he arrives back at the Human Village and takes a rest before going to talk to anyone there.
He heads to Suzunaan to get his book translated. Akyuu can wait; he comes first.
gn_enbu_ss097.png
kosuzu_cheerful.pngLet's translate it now!
Is what I would say, but right now, I have lots of arrangements to make.​
It'll take me a little while to prepare, so please visit Akyuu while I do so.​
I think once you finish your business there, we can take some time to read the book.​

Annoying, certainly. MC-kun tries again.
gn_enbu_ss096.png
It's not going to work. He takes his leave.
gn_enbu_ss101.png
Cirno is gone. The rest of the PLF are too, but MC-kun doesn't care about them.
gn_enbu_ss102.png
For all that she invited MC-kun to her house, Akyuu doesn't seem particularly pleased to see him.
akyuu_neutral.pngHow was it? What did you hear from Kosuzu?
She just had some weird book.mc-kun_lookleft.png
akyuu_neutral.pngHuh, so the Puppets are affected by youma books?
It isn't just coming from this village either.​
I see. Well, this might just be the right time.​
This is only a suggestion, but how about going on an investigation?​
With my genius-level intellect, I'll get to the bottom of this in no time, all while building a harem.mc-kun_lookleft.png
akyuu_neutral.pngInvestigation in the Human Village is limited, and searching outside will get you information quicker, I believe.
The danger outside of the village is unavoidable, but with your Puppets, you should be safe.​
How about it? Will you go?​
Of course. No youkai can threaten me; I'm far more dangerous than any of them.mc-kun_lookleft.png
akyuu_neutral.pngThat's good!
Even with me searching, it will still take some time.​
...On that note, please have this.​
gn_enbu_ss103.png
akyuu_neutral.pngThat's the Puppet Book.
It excels in recording Puppets you meet using a mysterious power.​
Puppets will automatically be recorded once captured.​
I believe you'll be able to make great use of it.​
I recommend you go to Kourindou next to start your journey.​
If you ask, he'll prepare some tools which may somehow be useful to you on your journey.​
When you head west from the Human Village, eventually you'll come upon the Forest of Magic.​
In front of that, is Kourindou.​
Please be careful on your travels.​
What were you saying? I was boasting on Twitter about my new Pokédex. mc-kun_lookleft.png
gn_enbu_ss104.png
True enough, we're two bosses in and have finally acquired a Pokédex. It's looking pretty empty, but I'm not too concerned about catching everything. There may only be 126 2hu Puppets out there, but that still seems like a lot of work.
A brief aside on cost: it's basically power level. It ranges from 80 to 120, with higher-cost Puppets being better, awarding more XP upon defeat and requiring more XP for levels and the like.
Still, we have another task, though: we're off to look for Kourindou, to meet one of the rejected options for our starter.
But first, some admin.
gn_enbu_ss105.png
I realise that we're holding onto a very good usable item. It regenerates, so I might as well give it to someone. I also note at this point that I was very stupid to give Keine the other charm, since her ability prevents the use of items in the Hold1 slot for both Puppets.
Looking at my team, there's no other perfect candidates to hold the charms other than Baka, who needs to keep her OP cheat item, so we move on for the meanwhile.
gn_enbu_ss106.pnggn_enbu_ss107.png
MC-kun also stocks up, buying a fairly small amount of food for an average-sized person.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
Keine's been useful enough to earn an item, though. Hairpins serve the same purpose as Plates: a 20% boost to the damage of moves of one type. We might come across something better later, but for now Keine will be even better at hitting things with Steel-type moves.
Kosuzu still isn't done, so it's back on the road once again after that.
gn_enbu_ss110.png
Sure enough, the cart that was blocking the way earlier is gone and we can leave the village to the west.
gn_enbu_ss111.png
New route, new opportunities.​
gn_enbu_ss112.png
MC-kun doesn't get far before someone stops him, though.
gn_enbu_ss114.png
It's Reimu. @A Welsh Cake would probably comment on her lascivious armpits. I won't.
reimu_eosd.pngYeah.
You're going outside the village. Didn't Sanae tell you that the outside is dangerous?​
Can't stop, won't stop.mc-kun_lookleft.png

reimu_eosd.png...Seriously? You are going to take on the Puppet Incident?
To be clear, you are a hindrance to me. Solving incidents isn't an amateur job.​
Don't get in my way.​
Y-you too.mc-kun_lookleft.png
gn_enbu_ss120.png
Reimu speaks with the calm menace of a seasoned exterminator.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
gn_enbu_ss122.png
Straight into battle. Reimu doesn't mess around. She opens with Aya, Nue is her only counter, that we have, but I don't want to eat the damage on a switch, so Baka attempts to handle the situation.
gn_enbu_ss124.png
An opening crit makes a strong first impression.
gn_enbu_ss125.png
Aya crits on what was probably a priority move since Baka outsped her before, then falls.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
Next up, Reimu sends out herself. Probably her ace. We don't have any perfect counters at all, so Baka's still first in line to handle things.
gn_enbu_ss127.png
Frost Edge, Baka's workhorse attack, lands its 10% chance to Stop. Stopped as a status means 2-4 turns of doing absolutely nothing.
It's not all that much damage, but it's bought Baka some time.
I waste it trying an ineffectual move and Reimu thaws almost immediately, however.
gn_enbu_ss128.png
gn_enbu_ss129.png
Baka heals, then returns to the tried-and-true Frost Edge.
gn_enbu_ss130.png
That brings us to Reimu's final Puppet. Now Baka has a type advantage and she wastes no opportunity pushing it.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
gn_enbu_ss132.png
Suika's retaliation does more damage than expected and knocks out Baka, but her efforts have already decided the battle at this stage.
gn_enbu_ss133.png
Keine easily finishes the job and picks up a new skill out of it.
gn_enbu_ss134.png
gn_enbu_ss136.png
gn_enbu_ss138.png
gn_enbu_ss139.png
MC-kun doesn't intend to die any time soon.
gn_enbu_ss140.png
Reimu departs, leaving MC-kun to check on Keine's new skill.
gn_enbu_ss141.png
It's not much damage, but it's priority 3 and Keine will always have the opportunity to use it given that we're not going to stop leading with Baka for so long as the game remains easy enough for me to do so.
gn_enbu_ss143.pnggn_enbu_ss144.png
Further down Route 5, some old guy lectures MC-kun on bringing confectioneries when travelling. He needn't; MC-kun wouldn't go anywhere without food, although saving some for his Puppets is another matter.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
MC-kun was told to go to the Forest of Magic, so it's off to the Misty Lake, Cirno's natural habitat.
gn_enbu_ss146.pnggn_enbu_ss147.png
There are plenty of farmers outside the village. MC-kun pines for a superior future where that isn't the case.
gn_enbu_ss148.png
He's right. I was not expecting how much things seem to have opened up at this point. There are all manner of branching paths around here and it does seem easy to get lost.
MC-kun tries looking for GPS directions, but it seems that his console is only good for Twitter. He rants there for a while to console himself.
gn_enbu_ss149.png
Annoyed and out of breath, he loots a farm.
gn_enbu_ss150.pnggn_enbu_ss151.png
And then picks a fight with the farmer.
gn_enbu_ss152.pnggn_enbu_ss153.png
The farmer only has a Minoriko, still sticking to the harvest theme. MC-kun lets Kisume deal with her, switching in to a rather pathetic attack.
gn_enbu_ss155.png
The only problem is that Minoriko is faster. Perhaps I will decide on likely builds for Puppets that will be sticking around in the longer term and allocate EVs at some point.
gn_enbu_ss156.png
Turns out that Puppets don't exactly hold the power of the originals. Who would have thought?
gn_enbu_ss157.pnggn_enbu_ss158.png
Straying further from where he should be, MC-kun is challenged by a maid.
gn_enbu_ss159.png
She unleashes Ruukoto. A PC-98hu, we're dealing with a nuclear-powered robot maid. ZUN doesn't make them like this in the Windows era.
gn_enbu_ss160.png
Bucket beats rocket.
gn_enbu_ss162.png
Not realising that we are the great Puppeteer MC-kun, she gives us some useless advice. He continues to follow the road, expecting a rest stop as promised.
Turns out that it just goes on, however. MC-kun stops once he reaches a bridge to chat with some bystanders.
gn_enbu_ss163.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWe'd all be flying by now if it wasn't for the wasteland ghouls. Where is my hoverboard? Where is my flying car?
gn_enbu_ss164.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI've fought Daiyousei puppets that posed more of a threat than Daiyousei herself, certainly.
gn_enbu_ss165.png
Beyond the bridge is not a rest stop, but a youkai Puppeteer. She seems very determine to keep her neck covered.
gn_enbu_ss165.pnggn_enbu_ss167.png
Battle with Banki commences.
gn_enbu_ss169.png
She opens with Kogasa and we switch to Nue to deal with her.
It only takes a single hit, at which point Sekibanki sends herself out to battle.
gn_enbu_ss170.png
gn_enbu_ss171.png
We send out Keine, who makes trivial work of her.
gn_enbu_ss172.png
Turns out that she got ahead of herself. Should have quit while she was ahead.
gn_enbu_ss173.pnggn_enbu_ss174.png
A dangerous place for a novice. MC-kun will teach him the dangers of lonely paths.
gn_enbu_ss175.png
He opens with Nazrin. We don't think much of Nazrin.
gn_enbu_ss176.png
Baka immediately eliminates her, leaving us with prey for Keine.
gn_enbu_ss177.png
gn_enbu_ss178.png
gn_enbu_ss179.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngAre you questioning my intelligence?
gn_enbu_ss180.png
I am not pleased to read this sign, but hopefully it won't cause too much trouble for me.
gn_enbu_ss181.png
Not everyone has adapted to the Puppet-battling ways of the world, but this old man is somehow still wandering about without getting eaten.
gn_enbu_ss182.png
I still have no idea if this does anything, but I keep doing it.
gn_enbu_ss183.png
At last, a boundary to our exploration here.
That and a handful of other dead ends show that, despite our newfound freedom, we're still bound to the main path. At least it's not the voices in our head doing it any more.
gn_enbu_ss184.png
MC-kun heads south towards the first turn after leaving the village.
gn_enbu_ss186.png
This girl turns out to be an incompetent who will probably be eaten before the day is up, not a Puppeteer.
gn_enbu_ss187.pnggn_enbu_ss188.png
It's another example of a dead end, although it's less obvious why MC-kun can't fight his way through.
gn_enbu_ss189.pnggn_enbu_ss190.png
MC-kun isn't sure he'd trust food from a youkai, but the price is one he's happy to pay.
gn_enbu_ss191.png
This is the fight. She throws two copies of Sekibanki at us, which Baka effortlessly dispatches.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
MC-kun doesn't even get any mochi for his efforts. He's annoyed. He's hungry, after all.
gn_enbu_ss193.png
He knows he's on the right track for now, at least, so he takes a sharp turn south.
gn_enbu_ss194.pnggn_enbu_ss195.png
For once, the old man is actually a trainer.
gn_enbu_ss196.png
All he has is a Shinmyoumaru. She has a type disadvantage to Baka.
gn_enbu_ss197.png
He warns us of loss. MC-kun, however, is undefeated and will brook not even the slightest thought that he isn't the strongest Puppeteer in Gensokyo.
Southward turns out to be a large ring of a detour back to an earlier point on the route, but MC-kun still explores for anything he can find.
gn_enbu_ss198.png
There are plenty of other clueless humans wandering outside the Village to be eaten. MC-kun won't be one of them.
gn_enbu_ss199.pnggn_enbu_ss200.png
Here we come across a frustrated collector. Who doesn't know the pain of the one you want never appearing?
Fortunately, MC-kun never had to hunt for Cirno at all. Baka came right to him.
gn_enbu_ss201.png
All she has is a Kogasa.
gn_enbu_ss202.png
Nue deals with her.
gn_enbu_ss203.png
With that battle out of the way, we have a number of skills to consider.
gn_enbu_ss204.png
Baka picks up her first spread attack. Given that her SpAtk and FoAtk skills are equal for now and her nature boosts up her SpAtk, we pounce on the opportunity.
gn_enbu_ss205.png
Kisune picks up a debuff. Fear halves the SpAtk stat.
gn_enbu_ss206.png
Akyuu gets the chance to learn this. It seems interesting, but I don't care enough about Akyuu any more to bother.
With that, the detour is over and it's back on the road to Kourindou.
gn_enbu_ss208.pnggn_enbu_ss209.png
Until MC-kun encounters a kindred spirit. He'd never thought himself a Karen, but if the glove fits...
gn_enbu_ss210.pnggn_enbu_ss212.png
All she has is two copies of Rumia. The fight goes very smoothly.
gn_enbu_ss213.png
MC-kun keenly feels her pain, as the two of them pig out together and we conclude this update.

Attachments

• gn_enbu_ss057.png
    gn_enbu_ss057.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 6
  • gn_enbu_ss119.png
    gn_enbu_ss119.png
    158 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
With the last chapter ended before its time, let's dive straight back into another. This one is a bit longer.
Heading down the fork path past the hungry, hungry youkai, MC-kun finds himself taking another detour.
gn_enbu_ss000.png
It's short, however, and only concludes with a Rare Candy.
gn_enbu_ss002.pnggn_enbu_ss003.png
Heading back onto the beaten path, he finds someone staring towards a dead end. It turns out to be a bird youkai looking for books and battle.
gn_enbu_ss004.png
She leads with Mystia. Keine switches in for the OHKO.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
She then sends out herself and doesn't do any better, chipping off 5hp with a priority attack before falling.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
gn_enbu_ss007.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm the only one who can find books around here, friendo. Even if I can't read them.
gn_enbu_ss008.png
Turns out that there was an invisible item around where she was searching, however, after I search the whole place, remembering the sign.
gn_enbu_ss009.pnggn_enbu_ss010.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI bet he doesn't know anywhere near as much about comics or the evils of Gamergate as me.
gn_enbu_ss011.png
Not a promising sign.
gn_enbu_ss012.pnggn_enbu_ss013.png
This youkai is okay in MC-kun's books. She actually gives him a small amount of sweets for a regular person, fully healing his team.
gn_enbu_ss014.png
The path, meanwhile, has been blocked once again by the same father-son combo.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
There's a hairpin lying around outside Kourindou. MC-kun stashes it away.
gn_enbu_ss016.png
The shop is well-apportioned and has an Akyuu doll. It's almost as thick with the scent of books as Suzunaan, a fact which MC-kun doesn't appreciate in the least. He does spot some vintage geek memorabilia, however, and gazes lovingly at a still-sealed Funko Pop for a few minutes before heading over to the proprietor.
gn_enbu_ss017.pnggn_enbu_ss019.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWho are you calling a child, pal? I'm in my forties. I'll take some HMs, though.
gn_enbu_ss020.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThat's not an HM.
gn_enbu_ss021.png
gn_enbu_ss001.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou've got that right, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss000.png
gn_enbu_ss002.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNothing's ever free, but that's probably still less than you'd make me pay for it.
gn_enbu_ss003.png
gn_enbu_ss005.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngHead into the forest and track down this "Alice". Got it.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
gn_enbu_ss008.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThey're not dolls, pal. They're serious geek merch for grown adults.
gn_enbu_ss009.png
With that, MC-kun is about ready to depart, assuming the cart isn't still stuck. He still checks whether Rinnosuke has more to say; this half-youkai man could have been our starter, after all.
gn_enbu_ss013.png
gn_enbu_ss014.png
This lets us go shopping.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
He's got a number of interesting items, many of which seem detrimental. He's also happy to buy our vendor trash.
gn_enbu_ss016.png
With that, it's back on the path to the forest, now unblocked.
gn_enbu_ss017.png
The forest is darker and the OST is much less cheerful than the path outside.
gn_enbu_ss019.png
Just after arriving, some youkai tries to catch MC-kun. It doesn't work. He pauses to complain about the audacity of youkai on Twitter.
gn_enbu_ss020.png
It's a new zone with a new background, but we're still finding fairies.
gn_enbu_ss021.pnggn_enbu_ss022.png
Sometimes the fairies even attack. MC-kun is overcome with a crippling flashback to the Console Wars, leaving his Puppets to handle themselves.
gn_enbu_ss024.png
gn_enbu_ss023.png
Fortunately, they're very good at dealing with fairies at this point.
gn_enbu_ss025.png
The situation gets worse for MC-kun as he sees his Puppets take down a Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss026.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngY-yeah, that's right. I'm bullying you, friendo.
Recovery takes a while, aided by commiserating with Twitter followers about the evils of Nintendo-haters.
gn_enbu_ss027.png
Having been sent to track down Alice, MC-kun first stumbles onto a Puppet of her. With a similar strong defensive typing to Keine and the stats to handle spread attack, she'll be our first catch in a while.
gn_enbu_ss028.png
Along the way, she demonstrates some ineffectual lasers on Baka.
arisu.png
I don't normally bother with names, but this one writes itself.
gn_enbu_ss118.pnggn_enbu_ss119.png
gn_enbu_ss120.png
Her IVs are pretty good and I'll echo the others in this thread who say that it's very nice that you can see them. I also include skills here, because we're finally starting to catch Puppets who have meaningful starting skills.
gn_enbu_ss029.pnggn_enbu_ss030.png
Another fairy challenges MC-kun. This one only has a single Puppet.
gn_enbu_ss031.png
gn_enbu_ss032.png
Nue deals with her, leaving us with some new skills.
gn_enbu_ss033.png
MC-kun isn't weak. Not in any world.
gn_enbu_ss034.png
Wriggle gets the chance to learn to blind. I don't bother.
gn_enbu_ss035.png
Nue, meanwhile, gets this weird option. I'm sure there's plenty you can do with it in competitive, but I don't need it.
gn_enbu_ss036.png
This mud patch feels like the site for an ambush. It isn't, however.
gn_enbu_ss037.pnggn_enbu_ss038.png
MC-kun soon encounters a fairy after his own heart.
gn_enbu_ss039.png
It's a familiar situation.
gn_enbu_ss040.pnggn_enbu_ss041.png
Keine does her thing against two copies of Luna Child.
gn_enbu_ss043.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngCareful who you call an idiot.
That said, MC-kun takes a brief rest to eat.
gn_enbu_ss044.png
As he leaves the beaten path, something tells MC-kun that he's getting closer to Alice.
gn_enbu_ss045.png
Turns out, though, that there are plenty of directions to take in the forest.
gn_enbu_ss046.png
Directly ahead is a dead clearing.
gn_enbu_ss047.pnggn_enbu_ss048.png
To the north, meanwhile, is another trainer fairy.
gn_enbu_ss049.png
She leads with Star Sapphire, the third of the fairy trio alongside Sunny Milk and Luna Child.
gn_enbu_ss050.pnggn_enbu_ss051.png
Sure enough, she has the whole trio, and Nue walks over all of them. I apparently didn't screencap Star's demise.
gn_enbu_ss052.png
MC-kun doesn't feel the need to deign the fairy with a response and only looks momentarily towards Baka.
Past that fairy is some loot, as well as a loop back to the main path.
gn_enbu_ss055.png
Crossing a stream on the main road, MC-kun finds another fairy willing to give him some directions.
gn_enbu_ss056.pnggn_enbu_ss057.png
The forest is large and I start wandering.
gn_enbu_ss058.pnggn_enbu_ss059.png
The battle is nothing new, although I do send Nue out against one of the few fairies she doesn't counter. There, due to her ability, I see confusion work for the first time. There's no self-harm, just inaction.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIt was never going to be anything important.
gn_enbu_ss061.png
Back across the river, MC-kun, now thoroughly disoriented, finds another hairpin.
gn_enbu_ss062.pnggn_enbu_ss063.png
Neither party seems much more intelligent than the other, here.
gn_enbu_ss064.pnggn_enbu_ss065.png
An interesting name, but her fight is more standard.
gn_enbu_ss066.pnggn_enbu_ss067.png
Nue quickly cleans up some fairies.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
The only technique I saw the fairies in that battle use was Yang Energy, the spread Tackle equivalent. Maybe she was too stupid to remember her Puppets' moves.
gn_enbu_ss069.png
She's also just blocking off access to a dead end. The log doesn't have any interaction text, so it probably isn't a future shortcut.
gn_enbu_ss070.png
MC-kun stumbles across a lake, connected to the stream he's crossed a few times now. It's a shame he can't swim.
gn_enbu_ss071.png
It apparently doesn't smell very good in the area.
gn_enbu_ss072.pnggn_enbu_ss073.png
What is a Puppeteer with one Puppet but a wild battle from which you can't flee?
gn_enbu_ss075.png
gn_enbu_ss076.png
What did she mean by this?
gn_enbu_ss078.png
It only gets more puzzling the more she says.
gn_enbu_ss077.png
Perhaps she was referring to the dead end beyond her.
gn_enbu_ss079.png
MC-kun finally gets his bearings and returns to the fourth branch of the crossroads from earlier. It leads to a new zone, where he immediately finds a fork in the path and takes one branch to a dead end.
gn_enbu_ss080.png
The other branch has a fairy that asks after Cirno. He mentions, as casually as he can, that he's seen her in the Human Village.
gn_enbu_ss081.png
The grass here is blue, but has the same Puppets as the more northern part of the forest.
gn_enbu_ss082.pnggn_enbu_ss083.png
The trainer is another PLF member.
gn_enbu_ss084.png
MC-kun doesn't intend to lose his Puppets and lets Baka deal with her clone.
gn_enbu_ss085.png
gn_enbu_ss087.png
Twelve levels and a super-effective move do not make for a slow battle. It's amusing how cavalier the PLF fairy is about it, though.
gn_enbu_ss088.png
All that's beyond her is a grassy clearing with another hairpin. That's all we'll be able to explore of the southern forest without learning to swim.
gn_enbu_ss089.png
Looking around, I find a western zone to the forest, bringing us to at least three in total. This is all I can explore of it for now, though.
gn_enbu_ss090.png
To my own surprise, I eventually stumble upon Alice's house. It was directly north of the person who told us that it was "over there" a while back. Had I taken a few more steps, all this wandering would have been unnecessary.
Nonetheless, MC-kun left the experience a bit richer.
gn_enbu_ss091.png
He continues in that path by stealing a doll from some mushrooms behind her house.
gn_enbu_ss093.png
Alice notices as he walks through the door and approaches MC-kun, leaving her dishes in the sink.
gn_enbu_ss094.pnggn_enbu_ss095.png
MC-kun plays his role of delivery driver. He's not missing out on a free bicycle, even if he's worried about whether it'll bear his weight.
gn_enbu_ss097.png
If he possessed any empathy, MC-kun would have thought back to the many delayed Amazon deliveries to his basement apartment and commiserated. He cares for no-one but himself, however.
He does ask if this doll obsessive (her many creations stare him down from shelves across the house much like his Funko Pop and action figure collections always did at home) what she knows about the incident..
gn_enbu_ss098.png
gn_enbu_ss099.png
gn_enbu_ss100.pnggn_enbu_ss101.png
She isn't particularly helpful.
gn_enbu_ss103.pnggn_enbu_ss104.png
This might not be a cookout, but MC-kun doesn't have to make his own plate as Alice cuts her way to his heart by feeding him and his Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss106.pnggn_enbu_ss108.png
She does have some further thoughts, though.
gn_enbu_ss109.pnggn_enbu_ss110.png
We're on our way to the SDM next. Hopefully it won't be long before we can rename our Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss111.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngLady, we're in Gensokyo. Pretty much every youkai here eats humans, not just the vampire.
gn_enbu_ss112.png
Before he leaves, MC-kun takes a nap in Alice's bed, the disapproving looks of her doll cabinet blanketing him.
gn_enbu_ss113.pnggn_enbu_ss114.png
gn_enbu_ss115.pnggn_enbu_ss116.png
He has another chat with Alice, who has returned to her dishes. One magician sends us chasing after another, with a reiterated warning about vampires.
With that, it's time to leave. MC-kun escapes the forest and returns to Kourindou to report his successful delivery to Rinnosuke.
First, however, he heads over to the box on the counter and trades out Akyuu for Alice.
gn_enbu_ss117.png
After giving Alice the light-aligned Opal Hairpin we found earlier, it's time to chat.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
Rinnosuke complains that MC-kun was slow. He's right, of course. Alice must have left a three-star review.
gn_enbu_ss122.pnggn_enbu_ss123.png
Still gives us our payment, however.
gn_enbu_ss124.png
Who needs instructions for riding a bike? It's like riding a bike.
gn_enbu_ss125.pnggn_enbu_ss126.png
He does give us some advice on how to go and bother a vampire, however.
gn_enbu_ss127.pnggn_enbu_ss128.png
But there's another twist in our path: we need to go and fetch an axe from a bunch of invaders from the moon.
Maybe they've got wheat, too.
gn_enbu_ss129.png
I'm sure they'll just hand it over, no questions asked.
gn_enbu_ss130.png
We know all about Keine, one of our most valuable Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss131.pnggn_enbu_ss132.png
With that, he sends MC-kun away.
gn_enbu_ss133.png
He's got some new stuff for sale. I don't know what youma scrolls do, but they're likely tied to Kosuzu; she's the one who reads youma books, after all.
gn_enbu_ss134.png
With that, it's time for a swift ride back to the Human Village. I like that your Puppet hangs on behind you as you ride - was that a thing in HGSS?
We get back and check on Kosuzu.
gn_enbu_ss135.pnggn_enbu_ss137.png
She's finally ready to translate the book we got from Miko.
As I left the village, I was told off by the Hakurei Shrine Maiden.
Apparently, when there's an incident, she's kind of a jerk, just like everyone says.
In the forest, I met a Pupp... no, this time, a doll-controlling magician.
I don't really believe what she's telling me, so this is probably a waste.
But thanks to her, I have a new destination: the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
The only problem is this 30-centimetre-tall impassable shrub. I even tried burning it to no avail.
kosuzu_cheerful.pngThe Hakurei Shrine Maiden is Reimu.
Seeing how she warned them, maybe the author was involved in an incident?​
Reimu sure is scary when angry.​
Shorter commentary from Kosuzu this time. It's another note from someone who is at least reasonably annoyed with the shrub. MC-kun wonders why this person seems to be going along the same path as him.
As MC-kun heads out to the school, he takes a quick look around town.
gn_enbu_ss138.png
The dreaming girl, Sumireko, is gone.
gn_enbu_ss139.png
MC-kun quickly finds her. It turns out that the boutique is now open.
gn_enbu_ss140.png
As the weird doll lady, of course Alice is the one who sews clothes for Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss141.pnggn_enbu_ss142.png
MC-kun despairs alongside Sumireko. He'd started looking for a red shirt and blue overall from the moment he arrived.
gn_enbu_ss143.png
For just a good third of his total savings, MC-kun gains the ability to reskin his Puppets. He takes a look at what's on offer.
gn_enbu_ss144.pnggn_enbu_ss145.png
gn_enbu_ss146.pnggn_enbu_ss147.png
Baka gets three alternate choices. The others, not being his starter, miss out on their wedding dresses.
Without a moment's hesitation, MC-kun drops three grand on a wedding dress for a Puppet. Anything for Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss148.png
At this stage, everyone now has the options for a recolour (shiny?) and alt outfit.
gn_enbu_ss149.png
Turns out that Keine isn't in the classroom.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
One of the students sets us on the right path, however. An emergency doesn't sound good, though.
gn_enbu_ss151.png
MC-kun walks in on a pensive-sounding Keine.
gn_enbu_ss152.png
The two swiftly notice, him, however.
akyuu_neutral.pngIt seems you've come back.
That's right! How about relying on MC-kun for this?​
If it's this person, perhaps they'll assist you.​
Oh, you're that Puppeteer.keine_sweethat.png
I've hear rumours of you from around the village.​
mc-kun_lookright.pngDon't you know who I am, friendo? We spoke not long ago.
First thing's first, though. There's something I'd like you to hear.keine_sweethat.png
Right now, something troublesome is happening in Eientei.
I was supposed to be the one to help with the situation, but right now I'm kind of caught up in other matters...
I know that I'm asking a lot from you, but could you please help resolve this in my stead?​
akyuu_neutral.pngHow about it?
I think fixing this little problem will put you one step closer to solving the bigger incident ahead.​
Are you up for it?​
Well, I was on my way to Eientei anyway.mc-kun_lookleft.png
keine_sweethat.pngYes!
So you'll stand in for me!​
Thanks, I owe you one.​
Just ensure that your Puppet remains useful.mc-kun_lookleft.png
akyuu_neutral.pngHead south of the village until you see a bamboo forest. Eientei is located within there.
I'll tell the southwest gatekeeper to give you permission to go through.​
Good luck.​
gn_enbu_ss153.pnggn_enbu_ss154.png
Before taking his leave, MC-kun finds out just why Keine isn't dealing with this herself.
gn_enbu_ss155.png
With that, it's off to the south-western exist, where the gatekeeper defers to Akyuu's wisdom without even needing Mamizou to imitate her.
gn_enbu_ss156.pnggn_enbu_ss157.png
And so it's time for another new route. The costume sprite changes in the overworld too.
gn_enbu_ss158.pnggn_enbu_ss159.png
We also have our first battle of the route, against a cloaked youkai.
gn_enbu_ss160.png
She opens with Kurumi. Another PC-98hu we haven't seen before, she's a vampire.
gn_enbu_ss161.pnggn_enbu_ss162.png
Keine does her thing. It turns out that this is one of many Puppeteers we've encountered with two copies of the same Puppet.
Despite that, both Kurumi Puppets outspeed Keine and get a decent bit of damage done before they inevitably fall.
gn_enbu_ss163.png
All she wanted was a battle, and we gave one to her.
gn_enbu_ss165.png
This also gets Keine her last skill through levels before level 30, making her our second after Baka to do so. It's plenty of damage and also perfectly accurate, so we toss Raid.
gn_enbu_ss166.png
Humans aren't a common sight right outside the Human Village.
gn_enbu_ss167.png
In the grass we encounter a Mamizou, our first catchable 120-cost Puppet. We grab her just for the novelty.
gn_enbu_ss168.pnggn_enbu_ss169.png
gn_enbu_ss170.png
Decently solid EVs all around.
She doesn't add a tremendous amount to our team at the moment, but we replace Wriggle anyway because neither does she.
gn_enbu_ss172.pnggn_enbu_ss173.png
Whatever the youkai earlier might have thought, there are still humans about. Novice ones, even.
gn_enbu_ss174.png
gn_enbu_ss175.png
Kisume easily deals with the first Kotohime.
gn_enbu_ss176.png
But there's a second that follows and narrowly lives through her first attack.
gn_enbu_ss177.pnggn_enbu_ss178.png
The second finishes it, however.
gn_enbu_ss179.pnggn_enbu_ss180.png
Next up on the road is a farmer.
gn_enbu_ss181.png
The power level is rising, however. Rather than one of the Aki sisters, he throws Yuuka at us.
gn_enbu_ss182.png
Keine still handles her easily enough, though.
gn_enbu_ss183.png
Defeated, the farmer falls back asleep to MC-kun's rants about his obsolescence.
gn_enbu_ss184.pnggn_enbu_ss185.png
We're back to dealing with fairies.
gn_enbu_ss187.png
She has two copies of Rumia. We try out Keine's new skill.
gn_enbu_ss188.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDon't you know who I am?
gn_enbu_ss190.pnggn_enbu_ss191.png
At this point, MC-kun takes a look at a bucket near a lake and is jumped.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
We catch Nitori, although she won't be useful to us.
gn_enbu_ss281.pnggn_enbu_ss282.png
gn_enbu_ss283.png
A shame that she's not useful to our composition, because those are some spectacular IVs.
gn_enbu_ss193.png
By the lake, there's another hairpin to loot.
gn_enbu_ss194.pnggn_enbu_ss195.png
As well as a rascal to fight.
gn_enbu_ss196.png
Like him, his Puppets are up to no good. He throws out two copies of Seija.
gn_enbu_ss197.pnggn_enbu_ss198.png
Baka deals with them.
gn_enbu_ss199.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWrong, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss200.png
A little further down the path, MC-kun picks up a thread lying on the side of the road.
gn_enbu_ss201.png
The path diverges.
gn_enbu_ss202.png
MC-kun heads south and is rewarded with an item.
gn_enbu_ss203.pnggn_enbu_ss204.png
Checking out the northern fork, MC-kun is challenged by a werewolf.
gn_enbu_ss206.png
She opens with a fish. Baka quickly turns her to sushi.
gn_enbu_ss207.png
Next up is Sekibanki. Keine is brought in to deal with her, as I remember that, unlike Kagerou, Keine is actually a were-hakutaku and not a werewolf.
gn_enbu_ss208.pnggn_enbu_ss209.png
The dullahan clings to life for a turn, but it doesn't last.
gn_enbu_ss210.png
That leaves only Kagerou.
gn_enbu_ss211.png
Kagerou's 4x weakness to Steel turns out to be more dire than Keine's 2x weakness to Earth.
gn_enbu_ss212.pnggn_enbu_ss213.png
At least she doesn't seem to want to eat MC-kun.
gn_enbu_ss214.pnggn_enbu_ss215.png
gn_enbu_ss216.png
The fights keep coming.
gn_enbu_ss217.pnggn_enbu_ss218.png
Kisume fights her way through two copies of Youmu.
gn_enbu_ss220.png
We do indeed have a Puppet on 4hp, so a nearby rest stop might be a blessing. MC-kun wants his food for himself, after all.
gn_enbu_ss221.pnggn_enbu_ss222.png
Looting and offering come before resting, however.
gn_enbu_ss223.png
MC-kun is always down to collect some tat.
gn_enbu_ss224.png
The travelling salesman has some TMs. We can't really afford them right now.
gn_enbu_ss225.pnggn_enbu_ss226.png
There are also plenty of talkative people resting.
gn_enbu_ss227.png
gn_enbu_ss228.pnggn_enbu_ss229.png
MC-kun certainly agrees with eating food meant for Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss230.pnggn_enbu_ss231.png
Imagine having complaining about having a damaged team inside a Pokémon Centre.
gn_enbu_ss232.pnggn_enbu_ss233.png
A coward.
gn_enbu_ss234.png
A dispenser of sage - but wrong - advice: the path loops back to the start with a one-way cliff down which to jump.
gn_enbu_ss237.png
Someone even less wise than MC-kun himself.
gn_enbu_ss235.png
And a sentimental. He's right, of course. We will never let go of the Marios of our past.
Heading into the loop, MC-kun sees two youkai having a chat. He interrupts them, only for the battle music to start playing.
gn_enbu_ss238.pnggn_enbu_ss239.png
Into what sort of deviancy has he wandered?
gn_enbu_ss240.png
The sort of deviant who throws around a Mamizou, apparently.
gn_enbu_ss241.png
Despite a level advantage, Nue eats a massive attack on switch-in; I forget once again that each is weak to the other.
gn_enbu_ss242.png
So Keine takes over. Illusion Bullets did 45 damage to Nue, but only 6 to Keine.
gn_enbu_ss243.png
Her retaliation is lethal.
gn_enbu_ss245.png
Definitely a freak of some kind, MC-kun reasons. Who would dress up a Puppet?
gn_enbu_ss246.pnggn_enbu_ss247.png
The other youkai in the conversation is talking down the same lines.
gn_enbu_ss248.png
She has a Nue. Our best counter to Nue is Nue, but we're not eating a switch-in attack, so we let Baka deal with it.
gn_enbu_ss249.png
The opposing Nue survives through an attack and deals a retaliatory strike that would have been much more impressive if Baka didn't have almost ten levels on her before falling.
gn_enbu_ss250.png
gn_enbu_ss251.pnggn_enbu_ss252.png
Exploring further, MC-kun is attacked by a catgirl (or possibly a cat lady).
gn_enbu_ss253.png
She leads with Chen. We send in Keine, who swiftly deals with her.
gn_enbu_ss255.png
Then it's Nazrin, so we switch back to Baka.
gn_enbu_ss256.png
At this point, I see something new on the level-up screen. Baka has just hit level 30.
gn_enbu_ss258.pnggn_enbu_ss259.png
Through some bushes are more PLF members.
gn_enbu_ss260.png
The first leads with Nazrin. After Baka makes swift work of her, she sends in Kyouko.
gn_enbu_ss262.pnggn_enbu_ss263.png
We send out Nue. The Energy Bolt crits, but still doesn't accomplish anything.
gn_enbu_ss264.png
Nue's lightning is more effective.
gn_enbu_ss266.png
gn_enbu_ss267.pnggn_enbu_ss268.png
Out of love for Baka, we must eliminate the PLF.
gn_enbu_ss269.png
gn_enbu_ss270.pnggn_enbu_ss271.png
Kisume easily handles Luna, then Keine takes you Daiyousei.
gn_enbu_ss272.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNot a chance.
gn_enbu_ss273.png
Turns out that they were guarding a dead end containing our first TM.
At this stage, we have a few skills to note.
gn_enbu_ss274.png
Kisume picked up her last skill before evolution. I hold off on purchasing it for now.
gn_enbu_ss275.png
Mamizou gets an interesting skill that I absolutely lack the game knowledge to use effectively.
gn_enbu_ss276.png
Alice picks up the option to grab Thunder Wave. Due to how easy Sealing seems to be in this game, I don't bother.
gn_enbu_ss277.png
Lastly, our first TM. It's stronger against stronger targets. It has a base power of 40 against a cost 80 Puppet like Cirno, but we've been seeing a decent number of cost 110 and 120 Puppets lately; it's base power 100 against the former and 120 against the latter. I might teach it to Keine.
Finally, we're left with a choice. Baka has hit level 30, and so she gets to pick a style. Each Puppet gets three options in that regard: two themed and one designed to be completely different to the others.
gn_enbu_ss278.pnggn_enbu_ss279.pnggn_enbu_ss280.png
Here are our options, complete with typing changes (Baka is currently pure Water) and base abilities (which are not final; we can switch to the hidden abilities for a relatively small amount of PP).
Which way, western man?
Power for the strongest?
Assist to make our most over-levelled Puppet a support 'Mon?
Extra to turn into a focus tank?

Genichiro

wanna meet my party bug ?
kiwifarms.net
Never considered in 2hu until this LP came into view.
OP gets my warm thanks.

There's a puppet Rinnosuke among the pots beside Rinnosuke's shop on the right side. As for Baka's specialization, assist ? Kisume has also potential to be a great tank. Not sure about glass cannons, but I read there are others that do better.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
Never considered in 2hu until this LP came into view.
OP gets my warm thanks.

There's a puppet Rinnosuke among the pots beside Rinnosuke's shop on the right side. As for Baka's specialization, assist ? Kisume has also potential to be a great tank. Not sure about glass cannons, but I read there are others that do better.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Extra Rinnosuke looks strange and interesting in a way that does make me want to bring him along, especially after he was one of the starter requests.
I'm probably missing a lot of things through my own inattentiveness.

Govt. Shitposting Machine

All posts are fastman™ approved
kiwifarms.net
Power Cirno would be fitting since she is DA STRONGEST after all, but Extra Cirno seems interesting too. Although I don't understand super focused builds like that in a single player RPG, usually you just go with the characters with the highest attack and mash buttons until story happens.
Can you change between different styles later on?