Let's Sperg Touhoumon (Screenshot LP) - Please Wait Warmly - Yet Another Pokémon Let's Sperg

• Downtime due to DDoS attacks still. I'm waiting on different providers to give me what I need to deal with it long-term.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
Power Cirno would be fitting since she is DA STRONGEST after all, but Extra Cirno seems interesting too. Although I don't understand super focused builds like that in a single player RPG, usually you just go with the characters with the highest attack and mash buttons until story happens.
Can you change between different styles later on?
You're locked once you switch style, to my knowledge.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
With no strict conclusion, I flipped a coin between Assist and Power Cirno and it came up tails. Looks like Baka will be the strongest.
gn_enbu_ss001.png
gn_enbu_ss002.png
This gets her access to a laundry list of new skills to consider.
gn_enbu_ss003.png
Having decided on a style, I also finally distribute EVs. Baka has more than enough PP saved up to max out everything instantly, helped by the cap being much lower than in the actual games.
gn_enbu_ss004.png
This is her second option for an ability; I'll try out the +50% FoAtk -20% Acc for a while and see if I dislike missing enough to go for even more speed.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
I also grab Aqua Javelin, for even more damage.
gn_enbu_ss006.pnggn_enbu_ss007.png
gn_enbu_ss008.pnggn_enbu_ss009.png
After stocking up on a small amount of food for a normal person, it's time for MC-kun to head out into the world again.
gn_enbu_ss010.png
First things first, there's someone we have to catch. I was told that I missed Rinnosuke spawning in this pot and, sure enough, he's there.
gn_enbu_ss011.pnggn_enbu_ss012.png
He's absolutely no match for Baka.
chimpman.png
We've known from the start that Rinnosuke would be a bro, but there's only one suitable candidate for MC-kun.
gn_enbu_ss013.pnggn_enbu_ss014.png
gn_enbu_ss015.png
Our trend of getting more focused attackers continues. Rinnosuke has a solid IV and nature buffing that, even.
We replace Mamizou with Chip; it's either her or Alice and I feel that the latter has more she can currently offer us.
gn_enbu_ss016.png
With that, it's time to return to the task at hand.
gn_enbu_ss018.png
Shortly after he enters the forest, a rabbit runs into MC-kun, almost knocking him off his bike.
gn_enbu_ss019.pnggn_enbu_ss021.png
gn_enbu_ss023.pnggn_enbu_ss024.png
She dumps some exposition at MC-kun then takes her leave.
gn_enbu_ss026.pnggn_enbu_ss027.png
We quickly find out both why this is the forest of the lost and encounter our first trainer of the area.
gn_enbu_ss028.png
Unsurprisingly, she leads with Tewi.
gn_enbu_ss029.png
It's a job for Kisume. She takes a very-impressive looking attack.
gn_enbu_ss030.png
But it doesn't do much to her and Tewi swiftly falls. A second copy takes her place and the fight plays out identically.
gn_enbu_ss031.png
MC-kun's genius intellect catches on to the area's gimmick. Heading north or south takes him to the other side of the same room; heading west goes back and east is somewhere new.
gn_enbu_ss032.png
Sure enough, the bamboo shoots and tall grass are different.
I miss the pre-battle dialogue on the rabbit here; she screams "Get out! Get out!"
gn_enbu_ss033.png
gn_enbu_ss034.png
Seiran isn't Tewi. We're getting closer to the moon.
gn_enbu_ss035.png
gn_enbu_ss036.png
She still falls to Kisume and gets replaced by Ringo. Another Puppet weak to Kisume, who quickly cleans house.
gn_enbu_ss037.png
No-one will stop MC-kun now that he's encountering lunar rabbits.
gn_enbu_ss038.png
Nue also picks up her final pre-evolution skill from levelling.
gn_enbu_ss040.pnggn_enbu_ss041.png
gn_enbu_ss042.png
Heading south yields another new screen, another battle and another new rabbit Puppet.
gn_enbu_ss043.png
Nue gives it a shot. Both she and Udonge are Illusion types, which is super-effective against itself.
gn_enbu_ss044.png
Her passive does some work after Udonge gets confused when hitting with a focused move. Keine switches in to finish the job, however.
gn_enbu_ss045.png
gn_enbu_ss046.png
Heading west from there, MC-kun finds a house: a potential answer. It seems a bit small to be Eientei.
gn_enbu_ss047.png
No-one's home.
gn_enbu_ss048.pnggn_enbu_ss049.png
At this point, I'll spare you the details. I wander about the forest, keeping track of which directions work, until finding a new path forward.
gn_enbu_ss050.pnggn_enbu_ss051.png
Sure enough, she has a Tewi. Kisume handles it.
gn_enbu_ss053.png
dril.png
gn_enbu_ss054.pnggn_enbu_ss055.png
MC-kun wonders if he's fit to challenge someone named Mao. He reassures himself that it isn't the Chairman.
gn_enbu_ss056.png
She's got yet another moon rabbit, Reisen II, the replacement to Udonge after she escaped her old owners. MC-kun, of course, disapproves of attempts to escape lunar purity.
gn_enbu_ss057.pnggn_enbu_ss058.png
She's got two copies of Rei'sen, it turns out, and Kisume defeats both.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
We're not the only lost ones, however.
gn_enbu_ss061.png
South of that, we find some shrubbery blocking the path. Foiled.
gn_enbu_ss062.pnggn_enbu_ss063.png
To the west, though, another encounter.
gn_enbu_ss064.pnggn_enbu_ss065.png
I let Baka handle her Udonge this time, which she does in a single hit.
gn_enbu_ss066.png
MC-kun is always in perfect form.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
One room away, we find what must be Eientei, as we're confronted by both Tewi and Reisen.
I note down the paths we've found, because I'm sure they'll come up eventually:
House: East, South, West.
Trees: East, South, North, West, South.
Eientei: East, South, North, West, West, North.
gn_enbu_ss070.png
MC-kun isn't sure he trusts Tewi, especially after she just ran off earlier.
gn_enbu_ss071.pnggn_enbu_ss072.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThe best.
gn_enbu_ss074.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou'd better believe it, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss076.pnggn_enbu_ss077.png
With that, it's time to fight.
gn_enbu_ss078.pnggn_enbu_ss079.png
Tewi leads with herself. Keine handles her, but not without taking some substantial damage.
gn_enbu_ss080.png

Next up is Udonge, against whom Keine gets to shine properly.
gn_enbu_ss081.pnggn_enbu_ss082.png
It takes two attacks, but it's soon over.
gn_enbu_ss084.png
Last up is another, higher-levelled Tewi. I send in a 29hp Kisume to attempt to close out the fight.
gn_enbu_ss085.png
She's more than a match, but Tewi holds on with a sliver of HP. With that, it's over.
gn_enbu_ss086.pnggn_enbu_ss088.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWeren't you supposed to show me around?
gn_enbu_ss089.pnggn_enbu_ss090.png
gn_enbu_ss091.png
Cursing the perfidy of earth rabbits, MC-kun heads toward Eientei proper.
gn_enbu_ss092.png
It's another area with blue grass, presumably to distinguish a different pool of catches.
gn_enbu_ss093.png
Wandering about Eientei, MC-kun immediately stumbles into Eirin's office and advances the plot.
gn_enbu_ss094.png
gn_enbu_ss096.pnggn_enbu_ss097.png
gn_enbu_ss099.png
gn_enbu_ss100.png
She doesn't give MC-kun a moment to rest.
gn_enbu_ss101.png
gn_enbu_ss102.pnggn_enbu_ss103.png
With that, it's time to fight, again. We've progressed from earth rabbits to a former moon rabbit, at least.
gn_enbu_ss104.pnggn_enbu_ss105.png
She opens with Seiran, who Kisume quickly defeats.
gn_enbu_ss106.pnggn_enbu_ss107.png
Next up, she pivots to herself, presumably her ace. At level 24, we're seeing enemies spike up very quickly after a previously gradual crawl. Keine switches in to tank.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
Keine manages to win on the back of a crit and so Udonge is finished.
gn_enbu_ss109.png
Last up is Ringo, back at level 20. Nue gets a chance to fight.
gn_enbu_ss110.pnggn_enbu_ss111.png
She accomplishes very little, despite a super-effective attack. Taking three hits from the first multi-hit attack and four from the second, she quickly flees. At least she confused Ringo in the process.
gn_enbu_ss112.png
Alice switches in and, as confusion does nothing, outspeeds Ringo to get the kill. It's a lot of XP for everyone but Chip.
gn_enbu_ss114.png
MC-kun is fully aware that he's amazing.
gn_enbu_ss115.pnggn_enbu_ss117.png
gn_enbu_ss118.pnggn_enbu_ss119.png
gn_enbu_ss120.pnggn_enbu_ss121.png
MC-kun wonders which he should stop. His experience with the Crown Prince involved fighting royalty; will he have to stare down the NEET Princess too?
gn_enbu_ss123.png
Eirin doesn't specify. She says this and then leaves.
gn_enbu_ss124.png
Udonge gives us a full heal, then it's time to proceed.
gn_enbu_ss125.pnggn_enbu_ss126.png
At this point, it's time to explore Eientei. There are some earth rabbits wandering about. The open house doesn't sound like a gloomy shed, so perhaps it was beyond the trees we couldn't cut.
gn_enbu_ss127.pnggn_enbu_ss128.png
There's also loot to be had.
gn_enbu_ss129.pnggn_enbu_ss130.png
All of the pots seem empty, but there are some food supplies to be stolen. MC-kun is always hungry.
Soon enough, MC-kun tracks down Eirin, if only by the noise.
gn_enbu_ss131.pnggn_enbu_ss132.png
The Puppets - Keine and Eirin - jump at one another.
gn_enbu_ss133.pnggn_enbu_ss135.png
At least we know who to fight now.
gn_enbu_ss137.png
With that, MC-kun heads to Mokou, as Eirin walks over to Kaguya. The talking sprites quite obscure her side of the fracas.
gn_enbu_ss139.png
gn_enbu_ss141.png
Mokou speaks some bold words.
gn_enbu_ss142.pnggn_enbu_ss143.png
Then it's time to fight.
gn_enbu_ss144.png
She opens with a level 26 Keine and suddenly I'm not nearly as overlevelled as I was at the start of this episode.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
It's Baka's time to shine, but only after eating some chip damage from Raid.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
Keine falls in one hit.
gn_enbu_ss147.png
Next up is Sumireko. We let Kisume deal with her.
gn_enbu_ss148.pnggn_enbu_ss149.png
There's only one level's gap and it quickly descends into a vicious brawl.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
Mokou switches out Sumireko to dodge what would likely have been the killing blow and now, possibly for the first time in this LP, I'm the one at a level disadvantage.
gn_enbu_ss151.pnggn_enbu_ss152.png
That's quickly reverse as Baka switches in for the type advantage and hits Mokou with her ludicrous cheat power.
gn_enbu_ss153.png
Mokou has one last trick up her sleeve, however: on death, she inflicts a heavy blow to Baka.
gn_enbu_ss154.pnggn_enbu_ss155.png
Keine attempts to finish the job, but is unsuccessful as I get greedy.
gn_enbu_ss156.png
Kisume rejoins the fray and does enough to claim the win.
gn_enbu_ss159.pnggn_enbu_ss162.png
gn_enbu_ss164.png
Mokou is gracious in defeat, takes her Keine puppet and leaves.
gn_enbu_ss166.png
Kaguya is not happy about that.
gn_enbu_ss167.pnggn_enbu_ss168.png
Eirin prevents it from going to further fighting, however.
gn_enbu_ss169.png
gn_enbu_ss171.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngGive me your axe. I want to murder some obsoletes engage in deforestation.
gn_enbu_ss173.pnggn_enbu_ss174.png
gn_enbu_ss175.png
It turns out that a doll cuts down trees, not an axe. MC-kun's fantasies are left on the back-burner for the time being.
gn_enbu_ss176.pnggn_enbu_ss177.png
gn_enbu_ss179.png
With that, the conversation is mostly over.
gn_enbu_ss180.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngBut what about me, the important one?
gn_enbu_ss182.png
gn_enbu_ss183.png
gn_enbu_ss185.png
gn_enbu_ss186.png
MC-kun has kept records and doesn't think he'll need a rabbit's instructions.
gn_enbu_ss188.png
MC-kun returns to Eirin's office for some healing and finds Tewi. She's apparently stuck with the manual labour of tidying up after the fight. MC-kun hasn't tidied a thing in his life.
gn_enbu_ss189.pnggn_enbu_ss190.png
gn_enbu_ss191.png
Udonge says something that is almost certainly foreshadowing but which I'm also pretty sure is canonically wrong. It's been a while since I read Silent Sinner in Blue, but I recall her arriving as a shooting star using a lunar veil initially and not using the dream world, although she does mention that it is a known route in 2hu 15.
Autism aside, we check on Kaguya.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
She's not feeling belligerent any more.
gn_enbu_ss193.png
Before heading towards the Scarlet Devil Mansion, we try out the doll on the shrubbery in the bamboo forest from earlier.
gn_enbu_ss195.pnggn_enbu_ss196.png
I wonder if this could possibly have anything to do with Reisen's mention of the passage through the dream world earlier.
gn_enbu_ss197.png
It doesn't matter, though. Eirin was too busy cleaning to give us any drugs.
gn_enbu_ss198.pnggn_enbu_ss199.png
By the shack, we find another TM. A nice one.
gn_enbu_ss201.png
A promising name for this zone.
gn_enbu_ss202.pnggn_enbu_ss203.png
Maybe we won't need drugs for Eientei. We can take our own pills, found lying on the ground in the Hut of Insanity.
The rabbit outside warned him about his dreams becoming real within the shack, but he pays no heed. He devours the pill as if it were food.
gn_enbu_ss204.png
gn_enbu_ss205.png
Only to wake up in space.
gn_enbu_ss206.pnggn_enbu_ss207.png
Space apparently has wild Puppet encounters. After a stupid number of attempts, Doremy is caught.
Your fun youkai fact of the day is that, like Drowzee, Munna and Musharna, her design evokes a tapir, since they were believed to eat dreams.
gn_enbu_ss208.png
The expansion was supposed to cover 2hu 15 and I'd not be surprised if I've wandered into its designated zone. I don't bother with Clownpiece, but she's another common encounter.
gn_enbu_ss209.png
MC-kun is filled with thoughts of wheat as he passes the moon.
gn_enbu_ss210.png
He then encounters a gate.
gn_enbu_ss211.pnggn_enbu_ss213.png
As he approaches it, he's confronted by some lady holding an egg. He's not sure from where she'd recognise him.
gn_enbu_ss214.png
He's not to be dissuaded, however.
gn_enbu_ss215.pnggn_enbu_ss216.png
With that, it's time to fight the so-called Ruler of Dreams in her own territory.
gn_enbu_ss217.png
She leads with Sagume. Keine is a strong defensive counter, so we send her in.
gn_enbu_ss218.png
After the first whiff, Sagume at least accomplishes a little as Keine chips her down.
gn_enbu_ss219.png
gn_enbu_ss220.pnggn_enbu_ss221.png
She then switches to herself, with Kisume taking the baton to fight.
gn_enbu_ss222.png
She eventually claims her victory.
gn_enbu_ss223.png
The XP gets Keine to style-change level.
gn_enbu_ss224.pnggn_enbu_ss225.png
MC-kun realises that he might be about to accomplish one of his life's greatest dreams.
gn_enbu_ss226.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou'd better believe it, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss227.png
gn_enbu_ss229.png
gn_enbu_ss230.png
Next episode, MC-kun's bad trip will continue as we engage in the grand quest for moon wheat. I'll also showcase our Doremy's stats once I can check them at a box, but she likely won't be all that useful to us if I take Extra Rinnosuke as a Dream type.
gn_enbu_ss231.pnggn_enbu_ss232.pnggn_enbu_ss233.png
These are Keine's options. I'm still undecided; all seem pretty neat.

Genichiro

wanna meet my party bug ?
kiwifarms.net
Defense and Power Keines are great for the coming gym dungeon but Funko covered that with her steel/light typing, so go extra keine option from me for early warped coverage.
There are a few interesting puppets between Eientei to Lunar Capital.. You have Poison/Water Eirin and Void Kaguya in the grass outside Eientei; Fire Mokou can be found in the bamboo maze,, lastly with Light/Warped Junko and Void Hecatia (very rare) lurking in the current spess area as MC-kun. They are rare but have potential to be great powerhouses/trolls after a style change.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
It's been a while, but we're at it again.
Starting out with another coin toss for style changes, I rolled Extra this time.
gn_enbu_ss000.pnggn_enbu_ss001.png
gn_enbu_ss002.pnggn_enbu_ss003.png
gn_enbu_ss004.png
A new skill, a new form, an option for an alternate ability, which I take since I seldom have Keine at full HP and a vain hope that I've allocated EVs correctly.
Since Keine is no longer our Steel type, which has given her a lot of value over time, we might be relying on FunkoPop for a while. However, MC-kun is about to head to the moon and he draws his nature from one of the most lunatic cows. The game doesn't allow for genderspecials and so he isn't particularly concerned about moon rocks, but he's always dreamed of both purity, the overriding ideal of the zone, and moon wheat. There might be someone approaching who fits at least the former.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
So MC-kun eagerly steps through the portal and into the Lunar Capital.
gn_enbu_ss007.pnggn_enbu_ss008.pnggn_enbu_ss009.png
He quickly runs into the zone's mechanic. Approaching an NPC gets you apprehended.
gn_enbu_ss010.pnggn_enbu_ss011.png
And immediately kicked back to Doremy. There's no further punishment, so it's back to lunar ventures.
This, as they say, will be a sneaking mission.
gn_enbu_ss012.png
It's not wheat, but it doesn't take long for MC-kun to find a lunar farm. Standing amongst the moon peaches, he realises that he might finally have reached the superior future he earned.
gn_enbu_ss013.pnggn_enbu_ss014.pnggn_enbu_ss015.png
Despite (or perhaps because of) her inherent superiority, Toyohime the Moon Farmer (and princess, but that's less important) treats him like everyone else in the Capital.
gn_enbu_ss018.png
I am apparently fairly lucky, as I encounter Yorihime as I've barely started to wander the Capital. Given MC-kun's lunar fixation, he's absolutely thrilled for an opportunity to capture one of the overpowered Watatsukis.
gn_enbu_ss019.png
She attempts to defend herself, but is quickly sealed by Baka.
I don't name her, but am definitely looking out for one; she's likely to be a mainstay.
Because stats are a bit backlogged with a catch from last episode too, there'll be a unified dump later once I get access to a box; I write these as I play.
gn_enbu_ss020.pnggn_enbu_ss021.png
gn_enbu_ss022.png
MC-kun finds another relevant NPC and gets kicked out by her too.
gn_enbu_ss023.png
Ringo isn't one of the priorities, but she gets caught too. I know that she's part of the purification force designed to cleanse the earth, but between her outfit and her theme being September Pumpkin, she's always struck me as quite the agrarian type. MC-kun is thrilled with catching both the moon-farmer aspect and the cleansing part, so he doesn't pass up the opportunity.
ringo.png
She gets a name suited to her job. No bad tactics, after all. Maybe we'll find room in the team for her at some point.
gn_enbu_ss024.png
Shortly after catching her, MC-kun stumbles upon the actual Yorihime.
gn_enbu_ss025.pnggn_enbu_ss026.png
gn_enbu_ss028.png
Her words make him feel funny and definitely very glad he caught her, although Baka still has her place foremost in his heart.
gn_enbu_ss016.pnggn_enbu_ss017.png
There's also some loot to be had on the moon. A ribbon of which I'll probably never make good use.
gn_enbu_ss029.pnggn_enbu_ss030.png
And the actual target of the Second Lunar War. Once you've drunk your stolen sake, the lunar authorities can torture you all they like; you can't un-drink it.
MC-kun is eager to get drinking, but he's still in a dream and has to wander around until he finds Toyohime so that he can bring home a proper lunar farmer for his efforts.
Here's where I get to feel extremely thankful of my luck with finding Yorihime quickly. MC-kun wanders fruitlessly for quite some time.
gn_enbu_ss032.png
gn_enbu_ss033.pnggn_enbu_ss034.png
Eventually, even without getting caught, Doremy pulls him back into space. Not to be dissuaded, the wandering continues.
gn_enbu_ss035.png
Eventually, I get the encounter.
gn_enbu_ss036.pngtoyohime.png
Baka wastes no time sealing her. She'll probably get dragged along and not used much until her style change, since Baka and Keine currently cover what she does, but she represents the culmination of MC-kun's dreams and is thus at least worthy of consideration.
With that, MC-kun's business on his bad trip - which has turned out to be very good indeed, has more or less concluded.
gn_enbu_ss037.pnggn_enbu_ss038.png
MC-kun quickly steps into the star from which he emerged into the dream world and wakes up in the Cabin of Insanity. Everything seems very sane once again as he prepares to depart. He first returns to Eientei to check out his new catches at the Akyuu Puppet present there.
gn_enbu_ss039.pnggn_enbu_ss040.pnggn_enbu_ss041.png
Doremy was caught last episode. She's mediocre all around, but I wanted her for the novelty of a mono-Dream type. Dream is equivalent to typeless in your traditional Pokeymans and so it's interesting to see it used more widely in this.
gn_enbu_ss042.pnggn_enbu_ss043.pnggn_enbu_ss044.png
Yorihime's IVs are a mixed bag, but she has a perfect FoAtk and a nature boosting Speed, so I won't complain overmuch.
gn_enbu_ss045.pnggn_enbu_ss046.pnggn_enbu_ss047.png
Only Bad Targets isn't great.
gn_enbu_ss048.pnggn_enbu_ss049.pnggn_enbu_ss050.png
Moon Wheat, meanwhile, edges out Keine for the second best IVs in any Puppet we have, after the broken Baka. Combined with her status as a cost 120, she probably has the capability to turn into a monstrous powerhouse.
MC-kun decides to drag both of the Watatsuki sisters along with him: Yorihime replaces FunkoPop, while Moon Wheat regrettably takes Chip's place; Rinnosuke might be a bro, but he's only half-human and not nearly as pure.
Given that they're both cost 120, getting them up to a decent level might require me to grind for the first time in the game so far, but I strongly hope otherwise.
gn_enbu_ss051.pnggn_enbu_ss052.png
Reisen has also turned into a dealer. If MC-kun wants to return to the dream world, Udonge is happy to hit him up for a price.
gn_enbu_ss053.png
MC-kun also checks on the shack once more on his way out of the forest. There's still no-one home, but he does take a closer look - I've been suitably chastened after missing Rinnosuke in the barrel - and steals some food from the owner's cabinet.
gn_enbu_ss054.png
He finds a guide rabbit by the exit. He's not headed back to Eientei, so he's more interested in the presence of Marisa.
gn_enbu_ss055.png
She recognises him; their meeting by the Hakurei Shrine wasn't all that long ago.
marisa_standard.pngI've been hearing all kinds of things about you lately.
All good things about the best person, I hope.mc-kun_lookleft.png
marisa_standard.pngIt sounds like you're making great progress.
You helped out with Eientei, right?​
When a teacher asked me to, it gave me high-school flashbacks and I couldn't disobey.mc-kun_lookleft.png

marisa_standard.png...Hm, you were asked to go on an errand by Keine?
I figure you've got much stronger if Keine trusts you to run this errand for her.​
Well, while we have the chance, I challenge you to a battle!​
I want to see how strong you've become.​
Now, come at me!​
I'll glass you, friendo. Boston doesn't tolerate weakness.mc-kun_lookleft.png
gn_enbu_ss056.png
gn_enbu_ss057.png
Marisa leads with Alice. She's a much lower level than Reisen and Mokou's Puppets, so I don't worry overmuch and start cycling through our new acquisitions to get them more XP.
gn_enbu_ss058.pnggn_enbu_ss059.png
Moon Wheat and Yorihime give it a shot, with Yorihime proving herself an extreme glass cannon.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
After that, the two arguable strongest 2hus give way to Kisume, a stage 1 midboss. As I do so, Marisa switches out Alice for herself. If this is her ace, we've definitely seen a drop in difficulty.
gn_enbu_ss061.png
Marisa is vicious and almost takes out Kisume in a single shot despite being five levels lower, but our valiant bucket girl holds on and takes out Marisa in turn.
gn_enbu_ss062.png
This gives us a glimpse at Marisa's third Puppet, the final member of Gensokyo's magician trio (if you don't count Byakuren). I don't gamble on Kisume being faster and instead send Keine out to fight.
gn_enbu_ss063.png
She takes a lot of damage, but I'm still confident in her.
gn_enbu_ss064.png
For good reason.
gn_enbu_ss065.png
This leaves only Alice and, for the sake of getting the whole team into the fight, I send in Nue.
gn_enbu_ss067.png
It doesn't prove a great idea as Alice immediately lands a large crit on her and she deals only chip damage in return, but I still have her hold on for another turn to heal up Kisume.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
Despite entering on full health, she only narrowly takes the win.
gn_enbu_ss069.png
With it, she earns the party a lot of XP and herself a style change.
gn_enbu_ss070.png
Marisa is a bit more sober after being defeated.
marisa_standard.pngI figured you'd got stronger, but I didn't expect you to get THIS strong.
Told you I'm the best, pal.mc-kun_lookleft.png
marisa_standard.pngBy the way, where are you going now?
I've finally learned how to circumvent shrubbery. Scarlet Devil Mansion, here I come!mc-kun_lookleft.png
marisa_standard.pngScarlet Devil Mansion?
That's what I said, yes.mc-kun_lookleft.png
marisa_standard.pngI see, Alice told you to go there...
Well, I'd better get going too.​
I'm going to get much stronger, so you'd better plan on doing the same!​
gn_enbu_ss071.png
Marisa saunters off-screen before returning.
marisa_standard.pngYou should go see her in her class before you go to the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
She's trustworthy, so I'm sure she'll give you something in return for your help.​
I'm going for real now. See ya.​
With that, she actually leaves. MC-kun is pretty enthused about the prospect of a quest reward.
Having returned from his trip and beaten his rival, MC-kun heads to Twitter to brag. He's quickly embroiled in the most vicious kind of online argument: which girl is best. He knows that it's Cirno, but someone, plainly wrong, is insisting that it's some Higurashi girl of whom he's never heard.
gn_enbu_ss072.png
Once he catches a temporary ban for the vehemence of his argument, he turns to the travelling salesman and learns that he's picked up some very pricy vendor trash indeed from his battle with Marisa. A rival of the best kind, it appears.
This lets him check out the Skill Cards that the salesman is carrying. He has an interesting assortment of non-attacks: in real Pokémon terms, I believe we're looking at Substitute, Sleep Talk, Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard and Rest.
gn_enbu_ss073.pnggn_enbu_ss074.png
I don't trust myself to make good use of the others, but everyone knows the absolute pain that is dealing with Rest, so I grab it.
This is also the time when we consider Kisume's style change.
gn_enbu_ss075.pnggn_enbu_ss076.pnggn_enbu_ss077.png
I'm indecisive and she's probably next on the chopping block once we find someone new regardless, but she has the option to become either a hyper-specialised tank or a better-rounded general one, all of which will probably benefit from Continue.
With that, it's a short ride back to the Human Village; MC-kun has already explored the rest of Route 4.
gn_enbu_ss078.png
gn_enbu_ss079.png

gn_enbu_ss080.png
He also heads further afield to check on the Hakurei Shrine. Sanae is present and not very helpful; Reimu doesn't seem to be.
However, there's some food to steal behind the shrine.
gn_enbu_ss083.png
There's currently no way to return to the mountain.
gn_enbu_ss084.png
This is certainly a large oni (for you). We'll have to deal with her later; for now it's time to return to Keine.
gn_enbu_ss085.png
As Marisa said, she's back in the schoolroom.
keine_sweethat.pngThat sort of problem has been happening very frequently, but this time it happened at a very bad time.
Thank you very much.​
Is this when you pay me?mc-kun_lookleft.png
keine_sweethat.pngPlease accept this in return for all your hard work.
gn_enbu_ss086.png
keine_sweethat.pngIt's a tool for teaching a skill to a Puppet.
It should help you on your journey.​
Well then, take care.​
MC-kun accepts his payment, not bothering to insist that he knows what a TM is. He wants to keep his interactions with schools and teachers to a minimum.
gn_enbu_ss087.png
It's a solid move and our first Warped-type move, though, so it's definitely a good reward. Unfortunately, it's a spread attack and Keine, our only Puppet that can learn it, is fully specialised in focus.
gn_enbu_ss088.png
With that, it's a return to Route 5 and the plants that defeated MC-kun not long ago. This time, he's come prepared.
gn_enbu_ss089.png
Shortly afterwards, he encounters a casual. She probably plays on easymodo too.
gn_enbu_ss090.png
There's also some blue grass here. It's got different encounters, but the only one that really interests me in a little farming is Rinnosuke and MC-kun already has one of him.
gn_enbu_ss091.pnggn_enbu_ss092.png
It's also the return of route trainers.
gn_enbu_ss093.png
This rascal doesn't have a Seija, let alone two. He has a Tokiko, though, which gives Yorihime her first chance in a real fight.
gn_enbu_ss094.png
She's not all that impressive for now, but gets the job done regardless.
gn_enbu_ss095.png
We learn that he was just having a fun day out with his family. MC-kun can't remember ever doing that, although his brother did tolerate his presence for long enough for the two to start a podcast.
The grandfather is happy to fight too.
gn_enbu_ss098.png
Nue is sent to deal with Wakasagihime.
gn_enbu_ss099.png
She does the job, but manages to feel singularly unimpressive in the process.
gn_enbu_ss100.png
Having finished raining on a family picnic, MC-kun proceeds.
gn_enbu_ss101.png
Soon, the woods are shrouded in fog.
gn_enbu_ss102.png
Oh, the places we'll go. As ever, I'm more interested in seeing how they'll keep us on the rails than anything else, so it's off to every dead end first.
gn_enbu_ss103.png
As always, there's plenty of junk lying about the place.
gn_enbu_ss104.pnggn_enbu_ss106.png
Along with more NPCs complaining about how hard life is in the new order.
gn_enbu_ss107.pnggn_enbu_ss108.png
MC-kun is quickly confronted, however. Not all the local fairies are entirely useless.
gn_enbu_ss109.png
Largely useless, though, as Yorihime starts to pull her weight in one of the type matchups I recognise well at this point.
gn_enbu_ss110.png
gn_enbu_ss111.png
MC-kun also encounters wild Cirnos for what I think is the first time. A good place to remember in case he ever wants to assemble an army.
gn_enbu_ss112.png
This one boosts water moves, as you might guess.
gn_enbu_ss113.pnggn_enbu_ss114.png
A rambunctious youkai blocks the way.
gn_enbu_ss115.png
We haven't seen a Chen in a while.
gn_enbu_ss116.pnggn_enbu_ss117.png
Nue takes her rare opportunity for a wholly-favourable matchup.
gn_enbu_ss118.png
Against what turns out to be two Chens, even.
gn_enbu_ss119.png
MC-kun isn't sure about that. He has insisted many times over the years on all sorts of social media that he's a crack shot with a pistol and would thus be ideally suited to bullet hell.
gn_enbu_ss120.png
The youkai actually calls MC-kun on his bluff; he hurriedly backs away.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
As befits a lake, not everyone is on land.
gn_enbu_ss122.pnggn_enbu_ss123.png
Waggysaggy is keen to fight, however.
gn_enbu_ss124.pnggn_enbu_ss125.png
She leads with Kagerou, who Yorihime miserably fails to counter, dropping from full health to 9hp on switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
It instead falls to Keine, who performs much better.
gn_enbu_ss127.png
Next up is Sekibanki, who manages to land a Raid (the 2humon equivalent of Fake Out, but only succeeds in weakening herself due to Keine's ability.
gn_enbu_ss128.pnggn_enbu_ss129.png
Last up is Wakasagihime herself. Baka dispatches her without issue.
gn_enbu_ss130.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYoukai are disgusting and impure, unlike humans. Except for Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
A short distance further, MC-kun is repelled by a literal invisible wall, blocking off what the sign promised was probably the Genbu Ravine.
gn_enbu_ss132.pnggn_enbu_ss133.png
With that, it's back to exploring and fighting whoever catches MC-kun's gaze.
gn_enbu_ss134.pnggn_enbu_ss135.png
Louise, like Chen, is a pure Wind type and proves easy prey for Nue.
gn_enbu_ss136.png
Both copies of her do, in fact.
gn_enbu_ss137.png
MC-kun is no stranger to the ways of DFE; he strongly understands hiding from his sins.
gn_enbu_ss138.png
Baka also learns her first new skill since her style change. Javelins are solid workhorse focused attacks, so I quickly replace Apple Bomb with something generally better.
gn_enbu_ss140.pnggn_enbu_ss141.png
There's not much to see in the mist; it must be something interesting.
gn_enbu_ss142.png
A leading Wakasagihime gives Baka a good opportunity to try out her new skill.
gn_enbu_ss143.pnggn_enbu_ss144.png
It's exactly as lethal as you'd expect, although she does miss once thanks to her ability.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
Something to remember for when the game finally hands out the Surf-equivalent. MC-kun certainly doesn't see anything.
gn_enbu_ss146.pnggn_enbu_ss147.png
More trainers of whom to make short work.
gn_enbu_ss148.png
gn_enbu_ss149.pnggn_enbu_ss150.png
Losing her Steel typing on style change does not make the fight kind to Keine, but she still handles it well.
gn_enbu_ss151.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWanna bet, friendo?
gn_enbu_ss152.pnggn_enbu_ss153.png
It's a tomboy. MC-kun lets his globohomo rage engulf him, but before he does he notices that she does indeed have more Puppets than her brother, at the very least.
She leads with Sekibanki. Keine sallies forth for the win.
gn_enbu_ss156.png
Next up is a Cirno. This could never fall to anything but the mirror match.
gn_enbu_ss158.png
Baka is left to tank for a while, however, as the opposing Cirno lands the 10% chance to stop.
gn_enbu_ss159.pnggn_enbu_ss160.png
After what feels like an eternity, including through eating her own laser, Baka gets her act together and deletes the lesser Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss161.png
Last up is Daiyousei. Yorihime is given a chance and doesn't flub it.
gn_enbu_ss162.png
The most MC-kun is likely to remember is that he fought someone with a Cirno Puppet.
gn_enbu_ss163.png
The path to the west - it's overgrown with tall grass and can hardly be called a road - is blocked by rocks with which MC-kun can't presently deal.
gn_enbu_ss164.png
Shockingly, this does not result in a battle, although MC-kun is heavily offended by the implication that he looks like a NEET.
gn_enbu_ss165.pnggn_enbu_ss166.png
He soon stumbles upon a ghost. This one appears to have a similar level of acceptance of its nature to him.
gn_enbu_ss167.png
It throws out a poltergeist.
gn_enbu_ss168.pnggn_enbu_ss169.png
She holds on through Nue's attack and almost scores a kill.
gn_enbu_ss170.png
Nue is faster, however.
gn_enbu_ss171.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngSure, bud.
gn_enbu_ss172.png
Yorihime gets the opportunity to learn this, but I don't bother; we've seen basically no weather effects.
gn_enbu_ss174.pnggn_enbu_ss175.png
The fairies continue to prove themselves lazy.
No prizes for guessing what this means.
gn_enbu_ss178.png
gn_enbu_ss179.pnggn_enbu_ss180.png
Baka is not one to suffer imitators lightly.
gn_enbu_ss181.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou'd better believe that she is, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss183.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI wouldn't worry about it.
gn_enbu_ss184.pnggn_enbu_ss186.png
Hard to go anywhere when the paths are all blocked by rocks, plants and even invisible walls.
gn_enbu_ss188.png
I'll note that Normal Remilia does, in fact, learn Weather [Heavy Fog] at level 14, so if she's anywhere near the level of other Puppeteers here, here Remi should already be generating mists.
gn_enbu_ss189.png
A dead end lies beyond.
gn_enbu_ss190.pnggn_enbu_ss191.png
On the other side of the river, MC-kun is accosted by a youkai with a pot on her head.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
Her Puppet, it turns out, is a Nitori.
gn_enbu_ss193.png
Baka would be a capable counter, but Nue is given a chance.
gn_enbu_ss194.png
She doesn't disappoint much.
gn_enbu_ss195.png
MC-kun is easily-flattered.
gn_enbu_ss196.pnggn_enbu_ss197.png
Past her is a messy area almost fully carpeted in tall grass. MC-kun finds a skill card lying around. I have no idea if this Tri-Attack clone is any good.
gn_enbu_ss198.png
Ever the Sinophile, MC-kun seals the first Meiling he encounters, regardless of any intention to use her.
gn_enbu_ss202.pnggn_enbu_ss203.pnggn_enbu_ss204.png
Very solid IVs, but I can't really think of anyone I'd currently replace with her.
gn_enbu_ss199.png
He also picks up a charm. It cures the darkness status effect once per battle and might be useful if that ties into the Scarlet Devil Mansion's strategies.
gn_enbu_ss200.png
On my way back, I check this stump on a whim and it turns out quite profitable.
gn_enbu_ss201.png
Heading to Kourindou to check on Meiling's stats, MC-kun finds that Rinnosuke has some brief words for him.
gn_enbu_ss205.png
He's also got some new stock. These match the types of the hairpins, but are 1.4x multiplier to the first skill of a matching type used each battle, instead of a 1.2x multiplier to all such skills. I can't afford any one way or the other, so the point is moot.
Not too many people left with whom MC-kun hasn't spoken at this point. The farmer seems a bit lost.
gn_enbu_ss208.png
He's still a farmer, though, and presumably has the Aki sisters.
gn_enbu_ss210.pnggn_enbu_ss211.png
Yorihime, a twin herself, cleans up the Akis.
gn_enbu_ss212.png
MC-kun hasn't noticed the drop in visibility from the overlay.
gn_enbu_ss213.png
The lake also has an alternate exit back to route 5. I explore, hoping for a shortcut. The trek to anything relevant is lengthy.
gn_enbu_ss214.pnggn_enbu_ss215.png
For the second time, MC-kun encounters a fairy ready to bully him.
gn_enbu_ss216.png
This one has a more novel taste in Puppets, though.
gn_enbu_ss217.png
Orange is durable and lives through two attacks despite a ten-level gap, but doesn't accomplish much in the interim.
gn_enbu_ss218.pnggn_enbu_ss219.png
Neither does the second copy, despite some self-healing.
gn_enbu_ss220.png
MC-kun isn't about to take that as an excuse. The bullied has become the bully.
gn_enbu_ss221.png
Moon Wheat also gets her last pre-style change skill. I'm not generally sold on 10% chances.
gn_enbu_ss222.pnggn_enbu_ss223.png
A hungry, hungry youkai guards the way.
She leads with Rumia, who falls to Keine.
gn_enbu_ss226.png
Mystia then fails to deal with Yorihime.
gn_enbu_ss227.png
A weird bit of dialogue from the one type of youkai MC-kun thought he understood. He vaguely misses his binge-eating with Karen.
gn_enbu_ss228.png
While this looks like a shortcut, it's also decidedly one-way, so MC-kun turns back. All that's left, he thinks, is the Mansion.
gn_enbu_ss229.png
As he approaches the gates, however, he notices something.
gn_enbu_ss230.png
He's not the only one planning some breaking and entering.
We'll conclude this episode here and deal with the Scarlet Devil Manor Soon™.

Attachments

• gn_enbu_ss027.png
    gn_enbu_ss027.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 18
  • gn_enbu_ss126.png
    gn_enbu_ss126.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 15

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
Extra Kisume looks promising. You get 100+ base on both defenses and a decent 90 FO and HP stats. a sweet dual typing that leaves her weak only to poison, which is rather uncommon. Her FO and HP ain't too shabby either. EKisume also gets a mega drain skill later.

Restraint is also nice to have as a middle finger to AIs who loves switching.

There is a marisa puppet hiding among the crates in the left basement store room, together with a fairy. Marisa is rather rare, so try to get that one. Her extra style has serious mileage later on when you get correct TMs.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
Getting straight to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. With thanks to @Genichiro for the notes on what not to miss.
Before getting into the Mansion itself, there's still the sides to explore. Here, we find what seems like a fairly solid attack.
There's also the matter of Kisume's style change.
As requested, Kisume takes on the general tank role and picks up the Restraint ability. It won't help with the AI's usual switching shenanigans, but Indomitable will do basically nothing unless I make a horrible mistake.
gn_enbu_ss004.png
EV-wise, I max out HP and equalise her defences, along with getting one extra speed to perhaps outspeed the occasional slow enemy on what would otherwise be a tie with the leftovers.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
She's got a new suite of skills too, which is helpful since she's gone from wanting SpAtk to FoAtk and has also changed type from Dark/Fire to Fire/Nature. Unfortunately, she can't learn any good attacks for her new stat distribution, so it's time to give her an absolutely cancerous build.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
She can burn. She can set up entry hazards. She can rest. She's got one attack if necessary, which is also the equivalent of Knock Off and can thus remove a troublesome item. All she needs is a Leftovers equivalent to become an absolute nightmare.
gn_enbu_ss007.png
The gatekeeper is asleep, so MC-kun heads towards the Mansion.
gn_enbu_ss008.png
Before entering, MC-kun pauses to admire the spritework architecture.
gn_enbu_ss009.png
He's stared down by a vampire the moment he steps through the door.
gn_enbu_ss010.png
remilia_neutral.pngI had a feeling you would come.
My reputation precedes me. :tomgirl: mc-kun_lookleft.png
remilia_neutral.pngI am Remilia, the master of this mansion.
I can see through a person's fate.​
Your fate looks interesting.​
MC-kun doesn't consider for a moment, even after seeing the Chinese gatekeeper outside, whether this might be an insult.
I'm just here for youma books.mc-kun_lookleft.png
remilia_neutral.png...Oh, you're looking for the library.
I thought you came here for me.​
Come see me after you're done with Patchy.​
I can guide you on the path of your destiny.​
But only if you can make it to my room.​
Until we meet again...​
Without waiting for a response, Remilia takes her leave. MC-kun wouldn't have spoke anyway; the moment he was invited to another woman's room in Gensokyo, he took out his handheld and started looking for reception to boast.
gn_enbu_ss011.png
Remilia locked the door behind her, so MC-kun will have to explore the rest of the Mansion.
gn_enbu_ss013.pnggn_enbu_ss012.png
A fairy maid blocks the stairs to the first floor on either side, leaving only the stairs down to the basement.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
To the right, there's a warehouse. MC-kun feels a premonition; this place feels important.
gn_enbu_ss016.png
He finds his best sealing thread first, sitting in a pot.
gn_enbu_ss017.pnggn_enbu_ss018.png
There's also a skill card lying behind a cabinet.
gn_enbu_ss019.pnggn_enbu_ss021.png
Perhaps most importantly, there's a Marisa Puppet in a crate.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
Nue presides over her capture.
gn_enbu_ss083.pnggn_enbu_ss084.png
gn_enbu_ss085.png
Bad IVs and an unproductive nature. She might replace Nue at some point, but I don't really have a use for her.
gn_enbu_ss023.png
Opposite the warehouse is the library. It's much grander by far.
gn_enbu_ss025.pnggn_enbu_ss027.png
Marisa doesn't have much to say, but she's blocking the path.
gn_enbu_ss028.png
None of them appear to be Harry Potter or Super Mario Bros. 3: Brick by Brick, so MC-kun isn't interested.
gn_enbu_ss029.png
MC-kun doesn't know who Koakuma is either.
gn_enbu_ss031.pnggn_enbu_ss032.png
The librarian won't let the disturbance pass, however, and so it's time for a fight.
gn_enbu_ss034.png
She leads with Tokiko. She first appears to be easy prey for Yorihime.
gn_enbu_ss035.pnggn_enbu_ss036.png
I'm immediately disabused of that notion as she makes her retreat with a switch-out move, immediately putting lie to my comments earlier about the usefulness of Kisume's new ability.
With that said, it's Kisume's time to shine. She takes very little damage from a very impressive-looking attack.
gn_enbu_ss040.png
After laying down some spikes, the time for cancer arrives.
gn_enbu_ss041.png
Like Tokiko before her, Koakuma attempts to escape with Changeling, but this time she's trapped. Thanks, @Genichiro.
gn_enbu_ss042.pnggn_enbu_ss043.png
Soon enough, the stalling does its job.
gn_enbu_ss044.png
The final Puppet is a Daiyousei, who takes some chip damage on switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss045.png
Kisume eventually wakes up in time to do her thing.
gn_enbu_ss046.pnggn_enbu_ss047.png
At that point, Keine shows up to finish the job, with Tokiko dying on the switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss048.png
A predictable outcome, but one that is much more concerning to the librarian than it is to MC-kun, who just asks about youma books.
gn_enbu_ss049.pnggn_enbu_ss050.png
MC-kun starts to mention that he's already met Remilia and has an invitation to her room.
gn_enbu_ss053.png
Koakuma ignores him, however. It stings almost as much as being blocked on Twitter.
gn_enbu_ss054.png
She doesn't have further dialogue.
Her fight, however, did unlock Nue's style change.
gn_enbu_ss055.pnggn_enbu_ss056.pnggn_enbu_ss057.png
As always, there are three options. For once, I'm not leaving this to choice. Defence Nue would clash with Kisume and my 2hu 11 bias gives the latter a much more secure spot in the team, even if both are on the chopping block. Meanwhile, Extra is another focused attacker and, between Baka, Keine and Yorihime, we have plenty of those, so Power it is.
With that, we get our first dedicated spread sweeper. Hobgoblin doesn't seem at all useful against the AI, so I go for the accuracy boost instead.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
When it comes to building Nue, I run into the problem that she's very slow. The very good spread attack and solid spread defence alongside low speed for a sweeper is not an unfamiliar combination, although 50 speed is particularly heinous. I do what I can with EVs to make up for it, but she's still going to get frequently outsped.
gn_enbu_ss061.png
She's also got a number of new skill options, along with a disappointing assortment from TMs/skill cards.
gn_enbu_ss062.png
With that said, she does pick up a healing skill, so perhaps she won't be eternally low-HP.
With Nue handled, it's time to proceed.
gn_enbu_ss063.png
Some wandering later, MC-kun stumbles onto Patchouli.
gn_enbu_ss064.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI've just been checking out your basement apartment. It's pretty sick, friendo.
I think this place is none of your business....patche_reading.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWhatever, lady. Just tell me about the Puppets.
Puppets moving through magic?patche_reading.png
So you're suspecting me, aren't you?​
mc-kun_lookright.pngThe thought never crossed my mind, friendo. Alice just told me to hunt after you.
Sadly, that formula is different from mine.patche_reading.png
Even if it was mine, I don't have any obligation to tell you.
...Well, I guess it's time to stop hiding.
I must remove the intruder.​
gn_enbu_ss065.png
With that, it's time to fight Patche. She only has two Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss067.pnggn_enbu_ss068.png
She opens with Alice and Kisume responds. Two turns later and Alice is down.
gn_enbu_ss069.png
Patche's other puppet is herself.
gn_enbu_ss071.pnggn_enbu_ss072.png
Her ability mirrors the burn to Kisume, but she's above that trick.
gn_enbu_ss073.png
Kisume tanks through her resting and then takes the fight.
gn_enbu_ss074.png
patche_reading.png....I'm not related to the Puppets. It's true.
If you can't believe your ears, you can ask that slinking cat over there.​
Well, you're being called by Remi, right?​
How did I know that?​
She knew you were coming here from reading the newspaper and was antsy waiting for you.​
How predictable.​
Turns out that fate-reading powers pale before the Tengu-owned media once again.
patche_reading.pngAnyway, you can go to Remi's room from the door over there.
I won't stop you if you don't care what happens.​
But...​
You're gonna have a hard time if you're going as is.​
I can heal your Puppets. Talk to me if you need to.​

With that, it's time to leave.
gn_enbu_ss075.png
Healing gets some fatalistic dialogue.
gn_enbu_ss076.png
marisa_standard.pngOh, it's just you, MC-kun.
gn_enbu_ss077.pnggn_enbu_ss078.png
gn_enbu_ss079.pnggn_enbu_ss080.png
gn_enbu_ss081.png
With that, the slinking cat over there departs.
gn_enbu_ss082.png
Before heading to Remilia, MC-kun explores the rest of the library and notes that there is an Akyuu Puppet for if he wants to switch up the team.
gn_enbu_ss086.png
With that, it's out of the basement library and back into the mansion proper. It's a maze. The whole place is swarming with wild Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss088.pnggn_enbu_ss089.png
Shortly into searching through the labyrinth, MC-kun is stopped by a maid. He hasn't cleaned a thing in his life and so fights instead.
gn_enbu_ss090.png
Style-changed Nue gets her first fight and performs excellently.
gn_enbu_ss091.png
gn_enbu_ss092.png
I seal a Patchouli just to complete the magician trio.
gn_enbu_ss093.pnggn_enbu_ss094.png
Another maid, another fight.
gn_enbu_ss095.png
Moon Wheat gets her first real fight, against Ruukoto.
Through the Indomitable ability, she holds on with 1 HP. The scenario designer no doubt planned this: Final Tribulation appears to be this game's Explosion and finishes off the caster. Moon Wheat endures, however.
gn_enbu_ss098.png
gn_enbu_ss099.pnggn_enbu_ss100.png
The whole place is swarming with fairy maids. What's one more?
gn_enbu_ss102.pnggn_enbu_ss103.png
Nue deals with both, although she's still slower despite a large level gap and a bunch of Speed EVs.
gn_enbu_ss104.png
The maid is more introspective than most. MC-kun learns nothing.
gn_enbu_ss105.pnggn_enbu_ss106.png
gn_enbu_ss107.png
Baka dispatches her imitator in a single shot through raw power after I accidentally select the wrong skill. She really is disgustingly overpowered.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
The following Sunny does no better.
gn_enbu_ss109.png
The game perfectly anticipates MC-kun's western sensibilities and level of respect.
gn_enbu_ss113.png
Yorihime versus Daiyousei proves surprisingly close. I resolve to get her a damage-boosting item to help with this consistent disappointment.
gn_enbu_ss114.png
Baka is then brought in to deal with a Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss115.png
gn_enbu_ss116.png
MC-kun isn't the only one in the maze. She's nowhere nearby, but there's a vampire stalking the halls.
gn_enbu_ss117.pnggn_enbu_ss118.png
He's interrupted as he hurries towards where she was.
gn_enbu_ss119.pnggn_enbu_ss120.png
In his hurry, he allows Baka to deal with the whole fight.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
gn_enbu_ss122.png
All she guards, however, is a thread in a dustbin.
gn_enbu_ss123.pnggn_enbu_ss124.png
They say that if you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life.
gn_enbu_ss125.png
Keine swiftly deals with Daiyousei, although she decidedly suffers in the new type matchup.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDo I know you?
She's not going to be the one to stop him.
Kisume takes all of 2 HP in damage taking out her team.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
gn_enbu_ss132.png
She's apparently not been doing her job, since there's some food lying on the ground.
gn_enbu_ss133.pnggn_enbu_ss134.png
A novel sprite, but unfortunately not a novel team.
gn_enbu_ss135.png
gn_enbu_ss136.pnggn_enbu_ss137.png
Kisume is dispatched and Daiyousei holds on through a single attack, but it isn't enough.
gn_enbu_ss138.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI can tell, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss139.pnggn_enbu_ss140.png
Past her, there's a TM.
gn_enbu_ss141.pnggn_enbu_ss142.png
The maze continues. Thoroughly lost at this point, MC-kun finds an item.
gn_enbu_ss143.png
This manor is something out of Scooby Doo. The doors here lead to one another.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
At last, a different-looking area. It's a puzzle, with wrong options leading back to the same Scooby Doo door above.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
That then leads to another choice of path.
gn_enbu_ss147.pnggn_enbu_ss148.png
MC-kun fancies himself an expert on both throwing knives and cooking - just ask him about his Mountain Dew Chicken - but he can't really draw the comparison.
gn_enbu_ss149.png
A new Puppet: the maid throws Sakuya at us, but Keine deals with her easily.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
gn_enbu_ss151.png
All that she's guarding is a thread. At least it means that I picked exactly the right path first.
The final path at last takes us somewhere new, and to a new TM at that. Koakuma demonstrated the power of Changeling; it's a power-70 Dark-type move in addition to the switch and that's pretty solid in a pinch.
gn_enbu_ss154.png
After that is a bedroom. MC-kun, a modern Goldilocks, pauses to take a rest in the bed.
gn_enbu_ss155.png
He also loots the cupboard. He gaffles some peaches, which serve as a Full Restore.
That leads him to a new part of the Mansion. Most of the maids here don't seem to want to fight, but do have glowing things to say about Sakuya and Remilia.
gn_enbu_ss156.pnggn_enbu_ss157.png
One of them white-knights Flandre too, but we'll leave her to Wack for now.
gn_enbu_ss158.png
It's the fighting-type hairpin.
She couldn't be more right. Since we've arrived, we've seen one Chinaman, two magicians (one who doesn't even live here), one succubus, one vampire and far too many fairies.
gn_enbu_ss161.pnggn_enbu_ss162.png
Not particularly useful, although I should really just hand out items to everyone without one.
gn_enbu_ss163.png
This, on the other hand, is a 200 HP heal and isn't particularly useful right now when Kisume, our tankiest Puppet, has 135 HP, but no doubt will come in handy later.
gn_enbu_ss164.png
Interminable wandering later, MC-kun is interrupted by dialogue.
gn_enbu_ss166.png
She quite literally teleports behind him.
gn_enbu_ss168.pnggn_enbu_ss167.png
With that, it's time to fight Sakuya.
gn_enbu_ss170.pnggn_enbu_ss171.png
She starts with Meiling, who Nue handles.
gn_enbu_ss172.png
At this point, we hit a landmark moment: she sends out herself, presumably her ace, and it's our first style-changed opposing Puppet.
gn_enbu_ss173.png
She puts the hurt on Keine, but ultimately can't deal with her.
gn_enbu_ss174.png
Last up is Ruukoto. I take a bet on her using the same Self-Destruct strategy as the last one.
gn_enbu_ss175.png
The screen turns red and I'm proven entirely correct.
gn_enbu_ss176.png
Between the halved FoAtk from darkness and her stellar defences, Kisume tanks the explosion with barely a scratch.
gn_enbu_ss178.pnggn_enbu_ss180.png
gn_enbu_ss181.png
With that, she disappears without a trace.
gn_enbu_ss182.png
Before heading through the door, however, MC-kun has somewhere else to go.
gn_enbu_ss183.pnggn_enbu_ss184.png
He's feeling peckish and starts grabbing whatever he can from the dining room and kitchens.
gn_enbu_ss185.png
He also finds out that the fairies aren't even being paid - he'd call it a foreign concept, but people have been very reluctant to pay him lately too.
With that, it's time for a chat with Remilia.
gn_enbu_ss187.pnggn_enbu_ss188.png
remilia_neutral.pngThe descendant of vampires who feeds on human's blood.
Did you have fun wandering the mansion?​
Well, I...mc-kun_lookleft.png
For his part, MC-kun is far too winded from all the walking to talk.
remilia_neutral.pngFufu, you look tired.
You've made it this far. Let me heal you.​
She does. Only having fought Sakuya since taking a nap, it doesn't do much, but it's the thought that counts. This game throws heals at you constantly.
remilia_neutral.pngHuhu, now, it's time for the main event.
You and your Puppets are fine now, so I'm gonna keep you around for just a bit longer.​
It seems like it'll be fun to battle you.​
Whether nor not you want to, you will be my opponent.​
gn_enbu_ss189.pnggn_enbu_ss190.png
gn_enbu_ss191.png
The time for words is over and the time for what is presumably our next boss has arrived.
gn_enbu_ss192.pnggn_enbu_ss193.png
She leads with Power Sakuya. At last, we're seeing Puppets over level 30 and hence some build diversity. Baka takes care of her easily enough to make me feel bad, however.
gn_enbu_ss194.pnggn_enbu_ss195.png
Yorihime switches in and gets one-shot, so it falls to Nue.
gn_enbu_ss196.png
It's a close fight, but Nue takes the win.
gn_enbu_ss197.png
Last up is something unusual: the Scarlet Avatar. I'm pretty sure it's the first named enemy Puppet we've seen in the game, and it brought a smile to my face after one of the fairy maids mentioned Remilia having a peculiar taste in Puppet names.
Keine switches in and almost falls to an attack that isn't even super-effective, but ultimately claims the victory for herself.
gn_enbu_ss200.png
remilia_neutral.pngOh, you're strong than I expected.
...Did you think I was fighting seriously?​
Probably.mc-kun_lookleft.png
remilia_neutral.pngI was just killing time.
It was fun, though. Let's play again if we have a chance.​
You have my permission to come here whenever you please.​
Come again.​
:tomgirl:mc-kun_lookleft.png
remilia_neutral.pngOh, I forgot to tell you.
Your next fate is at Youkai Mountain.​
Genbu Ravine, which is at the west of the lake, will lead you to the mountain.​
I think you should be able to open the path for yourself from here.​
So you've dispelled the invisible wall, then?mc-kun_lookleft.png
remilia_neutral.pngYour fate will change as much as you can.
I haven't changed since high school, friendo.mc-kun_lookleft.png
remilia_neutral.png...
With this, we're sorted. Remilia, however, offers a new service.
gn_enbu_ss201.pnggn_enbu_ss202.png
Given my nicknaming skills, she's probably right. Still, she's this game's Name Rater and that means that, if you have any names for any of our Puppets, please give them to me.
gn_enbu_ss205.png
Ever interested in girls' bedrooms, MC-kun takes a look. He finds the highest-quality thread (according to its description) lying on a table.
gn_enbu_ss204.png
For once, however, he's prevented from using the bed, a sumptuous four-poster.
We'll end with a few skills learned by various Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss206.png
Baka gets another powerhouse of a move.
gn_enbu_ss207.png
Kisume gets the option for a javelin. It'd be a solid STAB move and I did complain earlier about the lack of a good option, but I leave it for now in favour of her current Dark type coverage.
gn_enbu_ss208.png
Lastly, Keine picks up some actual Warped coverage. This will come in very helpful.
Next time: into the ravine.

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
Did ya missed out Flandre bursting out her room ? She will have 2 scenes wandering around SDM dungeon(?) before returning to her room.

The difficulty takes off from here, though I think MC-kun has a solid party.
Not sure about Nue fitting in there, MC-kun can swap her out for Aya if he catches one.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
Did ya missed out Flandre bursting out her room ? She will have 2 scenes wandering around SDM dungeon(?) before returning to her room.

The difficulty takes off from here, though I think MC-kun has a solid party.
Not sure about Nue fitting in there, MC-kun can swap her out for Aya if he catches one.
I must have missed the second Flandre scene; I definitely caught the first and included a screencap, but I apparently wasn't nearly as thorough as usual with the maze.
Edit: it's definitely good to hear that the difficulty will be scaling. So far, it's very much felt like it peaked with Miko and then never returned, with Reisen and Mokou seeming like the game was trying to get back on track before suddenly reverting.

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
Normal trainers won't really improve aside style change. Unique characters will vary.

While few uniques will let you beat her puppets up without much fuss, many like Remilia will switch a disadvantaged lead puppet for a resistant one and use priority moves if your puppets out speed theirs. Nearing endgame, you will see several 5-6 party puppeteers.

Reimu will always try to beat up MC-kun when she sees him.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
Finally having access to the Name Rater, it's time to let Remi hand out some names.
gn_enbu_ss001.pnggn_enbu_ss000.png
For sticking around as long as she has, Kisume gets a name that seems suitable until I remember that deplorables are kept in a basket and not a bucket.
Yorihime still needs a name too; I can't think of a good Bob-ism for the job, so I'll put that out as a request.
gn_enbu_ss003.pnggn_enbu_ss004.png
Sakuya is now in the kitchens, without anything interesting to say. With that, it's probably time to leave the Mansion, even if I apparently missed a Flandre cutscene.
gn_enbu_ss006.pnggn_enbu_ss007.png
On the way out, MC-kun decides to check on the gatekeeper. He apparently wakes her from an unpleasant dream.
gn_enbu_ss009.pnggn_enbu_ss010.png
gn_enbu_ss012.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngLook at the direction I'm walking, friendo.
The mist still surrounds the lake. MC-kun supposes that it must remind her of the wonderful Beijing smog.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
With that, it's time to fight Meiling for no real reason.
gn_enbu_ss019.pnggn_enbu_ss020.png
She opens with Cirno. Baka is well-trained in this regard.
gn_enbu_ss021.png
Next up is Meiling herself. Moon Wheat gets a chance to fight and gets immediately deleted by a crit due to a tragic misreading of the type chart.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
Without realising my mistake, I send in Keine under the same misunderstanding and she somehow displays full immunity to an attack to which she should have a 4x weakness. Wonders never cease.
gn_enbu_ss024.png
Meiling is apparently always this disappointing.
gn_enbu_ss025.pnggn_enbu_ss026.png
gn_enbu_ss027.png
She also falls asleep upon an attempt at further conversation.
Keine's success in the face of overwhelming stupidity helps reaffirm MC-kun's convictions: in Gensokyo, there is (almost) no such thing as bad tactics. With that breakthrough, he heads back to Remilia.
gn_enbu_ss046.png
Unfortunately, the ten-character limit won't permit even NoBadTactics, but that's her name in his heart.
gn_enbu_ss028.pnggn_enbu_ss029.png
Before heading towards the ravine, MC-kun decides to take a look at the presumable-shortcut he found earlier. There's at least one Puppeteer past the cliff, eager to fight and eat him.
gn_enbu_ss030.pnggn_enbu_ss031.png
It's another drop in level compared to Meiling and Nue and Yorihime do a clean job of tidying things.
gn_enbu_ss032.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngMess with the best, friendo, and you'll die like the rest.
MC-kun finds some jam lying in a tree stump and decides that he needs it for himself.
The delusions of fairies are infinite.
gn_enbu_ss037.png
Baka misses her first attack and eats a crit, but it's to no avail.
gn_enbu_ss038.png
gn_enbu_ss039.png
The fairy guards a once-per-battle held item. I'll probably never use it.
gn_enbu_ss040.png
With that, it's a short ride back to town. Auctioning off his junk, MC-kun's bank balance is starting to look pretty healthy, so he heads to the drapery. All the trainers on social media seem to field teams of shinies and he's not a little jealous.
gn_enbu_ss041.pnggn_enbu_ss043.png
Keine and Nue get a quick coat of spray paint.
gn_enbu_ss042.pnggn_enbu_ss044.pnggn_enbu_ss045.png
The others, meanwhile, get something more drastic. Deplorable in particular is completely transformed.
With that, it's time to head to the ravine.
gn_enbu_ss047.pnggn_enbu_ss048.png
Instead of the invisible wall from earlier, there's just an ambush.
MC-kun is well aware of what Kappas do and is very happy to fight to preserve his anus.
gn_enbu_ss052.png
Spamming priority attacks, Sunny lands a 3-damage crit, followed by a 1-damage regular hit. Deplorable is unimpressed.
gn_enbu_ss053.png
Her other Puppet is a Nitori, who manages to do a fair chunk of damage to NoBadTactics before getting eliminated.
gn_enbu_ss055.png
Optical camouflage seems like something out of the superior future. MC-kun immediately takes a rest to talk about how much he wants some on Twitter.
gn_enbu_ss056.png
Amazingly, the fog clears up immediately after a few steps.
gn_enbu_ss057.pnggn_enbu_ss058.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDo I know you, friendo?
gn_enbu_ss059.pnggn_enbu_ss060.png
It's the first fight of a new zone and, as always, it comes with art of its own. I like this ravine background a great deal. That aside, Moon Wheat and Yorihime take down the opposing Puppets without too much effort.
gn_enbu_ss062.png
Without deigning to reply, MC-kun turns to more important business. Yorihime got level 30 and her style change.
gn_enbu_ss063.pnggn_enbu_ss064.pnggn_enbu_ss065.png
Extra is out of the question. I'm torn between Power and Speed: the former keeps her good typing in a vicious brawler, while the latter turns her into more of a balls-to-the-wall sweeper. In the interest of my current team and also surviving more switch-ins, I choose Power. I'm sure I'll regret it if we ever get rid of Nue, but on the other hand it's very hard to be disappointed with the numbers in question almost regardless of pick, If nothing else, Power's substantial base HP buff will help make up for her awful IV, while she has a perfect FoAtk IV and a nature boosting Speed.
gn_enbu_ss069.png
gn_enbu_ss070.png
EVs are about what you'd expect from yet another focused attacker.
gn_enbu_ss071.png
There's a whole world of new skills, across all types of gimmicks.
gn_enbu_ss072.png
In the end, I focus on her ability. Sniper increases crit damage and The Ripper and Dancing Sword are both crit-fishing moves. Angel Ladder provides type coverage, while Clearing Mist is just a brutal attack against stronger Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss073.png
With that, MC-kun heads deeper into the ravine. He pauses, out of breath, on some stairs and something swoops past. Something quickly reveals itself to be someone and lands beside him.
gn_enbu_ss075.pnggn_enbu_ss076.png
MC-kun starts to answer, but can't get a word in edgewise. The tengu just doesn't stop talking.
gn_enbu_ss085.png
Aya then leaves, making me hope I'm right in being too lazy to make a portrait for her.
gn_enbu_ss086.pnggn_enbu_ss087.png
The map interconnects here, linking the Forest of Magic to the ravine. MC-kun is too fat to swim, however, so it's an avenue off-limits to him for now.
gn_enbu_ss088.png
This Kappa is more interested in boasting than fighting.
This one, meanwhile, wants to adopt a technical style of fighting.
gn_enbu_ss091.png
All he has is a Nitori, however, who makes good prey for our new Yorihime, who scores a crit on her very first hit.
gn_enbu_ss092.png
MC-kun, still unbeaten, begs to differ.
gn_enbu_ss093.png
For a moment, MC-kun wonders if it's time to reject humanity and embrace the Kappa. They have the technology to bring him to his superior future. Then he remembers that he's visited the human colony on the moon.
gn_enbu_ss095.pnggn_enbu_ss096.png
A Kappa presumes that MC-kun doesn't have every right to be here. Indignant, he furiously asks if she knows who he is.
gn_enbu_ss097.pnggn_enbu_ss098.png
Yorihime and Nue handle her team easily enough.
gn_enbu_ss100.png
keepo.png
It's clear that he's not wanted here, but that only makes MC-kun more eager.
gn_enbu_ss101.png
Soon enough, MC-kun comes to a cave near a waterfall.
gn_enbu_ss102.png
The sort that goes deeper, apparently. MC-kun expertly falls down the ladder without dismounting his bike, letting his gunt absorb the impact.
There are plenty of Puppeteers standing around in the cave. Some are less alive than others.
gn_enbu_ss106.png
The ghost continues their theme of death-related Puppets, but still proves no match for Deplorable.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
MC-kun isn't about to offer directions. It's not that he's lost, of course; he's just torn when considering a ghost between the obsolescence of the deceased and the most reliable class of voter for policies he favours.
gn_enbu_ss109.pnggn_enbu_ss110.png
The Kappa assumes that anyone running around in a cave must be as crazy as him. He's probably right.
gn_enbu_ss111.pnggn_enbu_ss112.png
Baka and Nue handle Wakasagihime and Nitori before we reach the novelty.
gn_enbu_ss113.png
With all the fuss about engineering and invention we've seen with Kappas, it's hardly surprising to see one using a Puppet with a tank. As always, the PC-98hus are pretty well-integrated.
Doesn't save it from Moon Wheat, however.
gn_enbu_ss115.png
MC-kun wonders why he can't steal the laser tank.
The item behind the ghost was a TM, which has the common trait of seeming more potentially useful in competitive than it regular gameplay.
gn_enbu_ss119.png
The next Kappa isn't paying much attention to MC-kun as he approaches.
gn_enbu_ss122.png
She notices him quickly enough and asks for assistance. As a sworn enemy of the Puppet Liberation Front, he's in.
gn_enbu_ss124.pnggn_enbu_ss126.png
MC-kun doesn't remember anything about that, but a chance to ensure that he isn't separated from Baka means that he won't miss the opportunity.
One fade-to-black later and we're there.
gn_enbu_ss129.pnggn_enbu_ss131.png
gn_enbu_ss133.png
It's a new town, out of the caves but within the ravine.
gn_enbu_ss134.pnggn_enbu_ss135.png
Fortunately, there's a resting spot right by the pier. The merchant inside doesn't sell anything interesting.
gn_enbu_ss136.pnggn_enbu_ss137.png
There's a telescope just lying around in the village. MC-kun takes it for himself.
gn_enbu_ss138.png
The PLF fairy guarding the door is unco-operative.
Others are more aggressive and present an actual chance to beat them.
gn_enbu_ss141.png
She's not accomplishing anything with just a Lily.
gn_enbu_ss142.png
As often seems to be the case, she doesn't seem all that invested in the cause.
gn_enbu_ss143.png
Not a reference I was expecting, but it does set the tone.
gn_enbu_ss144.pnggn_enbu_ss145.png
This one seems to have missed the point.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
Still, NoBadTactics is happy to help with some liberation.
gn_enbu_ss147.png
MC-kun is completely unfamiliar with the concept, having worked out of his basement apartment for many years before being transported to Gensokyo.
Diligent fairies keep the doors sealed.
gn_enbu_ss150.pnggn_enbu_ss151.png
This is beginning to sound like a pyramid scheme.
Nue still liberates a Daiyousei, however, while Baka will always be the only one qualified to free her imitators.
gn_enbu_ss154.png
The fairy dutifully follows Nuzlocke rules.
gn_enbu_ss155.png
I don't envy this guard.
gn_enbu_ss157.pnggn_enbu_ss158.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIt is the one thing worse than a wasteland ghoul. It is, and may Anita forgive me for saying this word, a weeaboo.
Nue cuts her way through two familiar grunt Puppets.
gn_enbu_ss161.png
Hina is new, but doesn't get a chance to spin as Yorihime does her thing.
gn_enbu_ss162.png
Fortunately, there's no reason to listen to her any further.
gn_enbu_ss163.pnggn_enbu_ss164.png
Finally a fairy who actually seems to remember what the PLF is doing.
gn_enbu_ss165.pnggn_enbu_ss166.png
She doesn't put up much more of a fight than those that came before, however.
gn_enbu_ss168.png
The fairy cries out in pain as she strikes you.
From there, it's only a short while before MC-kun stumbles upon the ringleaders.
Boasting while two steps from the door doesn't seem very bright, but their troops have taken over the whole hideout.
gn_enbu_ss173.png
Fairies actually succeeding at something is pretty surprising.
MC-kun quickly tires of paying any attention and heads to Twitter as they natter away in the background.
gn_enbu_ss178.pnggn_enbu_ss179.png
gn_enbu_ss180.pnggn_enbu_ss182.png
gn_enbu_ss183.pnggn_enbu_ss184.png
gn_enbu_ss185.pnggn_enbu_ss187.png
Having plotted aloud in the middle of a village, the fairies make use of their optical camouflage and vanish.
gn_enbu_ss188.png
After taking a look at the backhoe outside and failing to work up the courage to take a long walk off a short pier, MC-kun decides to take a look inside the building that the fairies were raiding.
gn_enbu_ss189.pnggn_enbu_ss191.png
He's caught the moment he steps into what appears to be a workshop.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
The inhabitant is yet another Kappa, but this one is important enough to have her own portrait.
mc-kun_lookright.pngI assure you, milady. I'm here for the future! I'm not a wasteland ghoul.
gn_enbu_ss194.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngBut I didn't steal anything.
gn_enbu_ss195.png
gn_enbu_ss196.png
Nitori, at the very least, has better Puppets than the fairies. Defence Hina demonstrates that pure Poison is a very solid defensive typing. Only one weakness, one immunity and a slew of resistances. Yorihime is similarly strong defensively against her, at least, but can't really respond as Hina does her job and lays out an entry hazard.
gn_enbu_ss197.png
She does almost nothing against 140 base FoDef with the wrong type of move as the hazards continue to accrue.
For the first time in ages, it feels like the game is playing sensibly against me. Hina dodges what would likely have been lethal damage to switch out to a Defence Chiyuri, who is immune and, indeed, buffed by the attack. The fight turns real as Chiyuri lands five hits with a super-effective priority move and barely manages to down Yorihime.
gn_enbu_ss200.pnggn_enbu_ss201.png
At this point, Deplorable decides that two can play at the same game. She eats the status equivalent on switch-in with the full knowledge that she can Continue it away if it ever gets serious and lays an entry hazard of her own. A shame it won't do much to the opposing team.
gn_enbu_ss202.pnggn_enbu_ss203.png
Soon enough, the fight starts to go as you'd expect from a war of tank attrition.
gn_enbu_ss204.png
Chiyuri chips away at Deplorable, but is eventually overcome by her burns.
gn_enbu_ss205.png
Debuffs are traded and the waiting game begins.
gn_enbu_ss208.pnggn_enbu_ss209.png
Eventually, with Continue failing for reasons that I don't really understand, Moon Wheat takes Deplorable's place. She eats the heavy poison and an attack, but knows that she'll just have to wait a little while longer.
gn_enbu_ss210.pnggn_enbu_ss211.png
At last, Nitori's burns take care of her while Hina seems to survive the entry hazard with a single point of HP.
gn_enbu_ss212.pnggn_enbu_ss213.png
Protected from status by Moon Wheat, NoBadTactics shows up to finish the fight.
gn_enbu_ss215.png
MC-kun is highly offended at the implication that he's a fairy. He benches over 300lb, after all.
gn_enbu_ss216.pnggn_enbu_ss217.png
Nitori notices soon enough.
gn_enbu_ss219.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngEntirely defensible mistake, pal. Now why don't you give me some of that optical camouflage?
Instead, Nitori sits MC-kun down for a chat.
mc-kun_lookright.pngThat's the long and short of it. Now, can I have some of the future I deserve?
gn_enbu_ss223.png
MC-kun is thrilled. It's a roundabout way to get himself some camou.
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm in, milady.
Nitori fetches something and walks over to MC-kun.
gn_enbu_ss226.png
It looks a little insubstantial. He's not sure it'll take his weight.
gn_enbu_ss230.pnggn_enbu_ss231.png
Standard tutorial blather.
gn_enbu_ss232.pnggn_enbu_ss233.png
If it can bear his weight.
gn_enbu_ss235.pnggn_enbu_ss236.png
gn_enbu_ss237.pnggn_enbu_ss238.png
gn_enbu_ss239.png
With that reasonably cryptic advice, Nitori is finished talking. MC-kun, however, is already back on Twitter, arguing with players of various shipgirl gachas as to why he's now the best mariner.
gn_enbu_ss240.png
On his way out, he stops to steal a drink. Then it's time to step out of the workshop.
At this point, the PLF fairies have abandoned the village and the Kappas have returned to their hideout.
gn_enbu_ss241.pnggn_enbu_ss242.png
MC-kun pauses to tip his fedora alongside a Kappa sceptical about the heart of the cards.
gn_enbu_ss243.png
Others take it a little further. MC-kun is fine with this, of course, although he'd prefer if they were Chinese.
gn_enbu_ss244.pnggn_enbu_ss245.png
This might be the most sensible one of the lot. MC-kun, after all, is here to break into houses and rob them blind now that the PLF are no longer blocking the doors.
gn_enbu_ss246.pnggn_enbu_ss247.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNo! Nuclear is the power of the devil! Go green!
gn_enbu_ss248.pnggn_enbu_ss249.png
As if to vindicate himself, he steals a TM for some wind power.
gn_enbu_ss250.pnggn_enbu_ss251.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm sure OnlyFans will be thrilled.
gn_enbu_ss253.pnggn_enbu_ss252.png
Turns out that the boat can in fact bear MC-kun's weight, a fact which he exploits to its fullest for further looting.
gn_enbu_ss254.png
Living in an idyllic house in the middle of the lake, this Kappa isn't particularly interesting.
gn_enbu_ss255.pnggn_enbu_ss256.png
This is in a shed locked off by water. Doesn't seem too useful.
gn_enbu_ss257.pnggn_enbu_ss258.png
Uninterested in fighting as the Kappa within might be, he's got an infestation of alcoholics in one of the barrels outside his house.
gn_enbu_ss259.png
Baka lets us catch one easily enough.
gn_enbu_ss260.pnggn_enbu_ss261.png
gn_enbu_ss262.png
Some solid IVs and a typing we're lacking, but she's not really needed and Yorihime does now cover fighting.
We also end up with Moon Wheat ready for a style change. I'm undecided on this one.
gn_enbu_ss263.pnggn_enbu_ss264.pnggn_enbu_ss265.png
I don't think Extra is the right call.
That's it for now. MC-kun has saved a village from the evil Puppet Liberation Front and won himself a boat. Next up, it's time to make use of it.
I need a name for Yorihime and a style for Moon Wheat.

Attachments

• gn_enbu_ss068.png
    gn_enbu_ss068.png
    16 KB · Views: 9

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
Continue works best for puppets with Economist, carrying curing charm.

Power Toyo I guess. Defense gets a heal and rounded stats while power gets wind moves which checks a lot of future encounters with sound or fighting. Both are a bit slow , but good bulk.

Godhotline for yorihime.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
This was initially going to be a short update with the things unlocked now that we have a boat, but it turns out that there are a huge number of things you can do with a boat, so the "short" descriptor has been dropped.
We start off preparing Moon Wheat for her role in the party going forward.
gn_enbu_ss000.png
As requested, we go with power.
gn_enbu_ss001.pnggn_enbu_ss003.png
A broad range of moves, but not many attacks and, moreover, fewer useful ones. However, between these options and TMs, I think the end result is pretty versatile.
gn_enbu_ss002.png
I'm always least confident when it comes to EVs and boosting up the defence stats might have added more to survivability, but what's done is done.
yori.png
Yorihime also gets herself a name at long last.
With that, we have a boat and will travel, so the game has opened up a fair bit in my estimation, judging by all the places blocked off by water in the past. MC-kun was told to look for the tengu village, but he's got far more important things to do.
gn_enbu_ss004.png
Although the Misty Lake is large, it's also mostly featureless. There does, however, appear to be a single cave somewhere within.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
The temperature drops sharps as MC-kun enters.
gn_enbu_ss007.png
The wild encounters also track with what we've seen before, so the developers were apparently sane and anticipated this kind of exploration. More importantly, however, MC-kun immediately runs into this. A bunch of floating eyeballs from the very first Touhou game.
gn_enbu_ss008.pngtwit.png
There's no way that what is probably the weirdest Puppet in the game could be ignored.
gn_enbu_ss239.pnggn_enbu_ss240.pnggn_enbu_ss241.png
Nothing spectacular, but both nature and IVs favour sweep attack.
gn_enbu_ss009.png
That aside, the cave contains what is almost certainly a very familiar kind of ice puzzle. MC-kun turns to Twitter and he lets Baka push him around the maze.
gn_enbu_ss010.pnggn_enbu_ss011.png
gn_enbu_ss012.png
His reward is a TM and a barrier for now.
There's also some exploring to do in Route 5, with the river now providing a very convenient shortcut through much of the zone.
Finding a charm reminds MC-kun to give something a try: Haste Charm might not have much of a use case for him at the moment, but he's had a Curing Charm sitting around for ages and it might actually work with Continue. I'd assumed it wouldn't, because Gamefreak has never allowed you to cheat Rest like that, but I'm told that it does, so Deplorable might get even more disgusting. Unfortunately, Economist, which lets you use once-per-battle items repeatedly, is almost the signature ability of the Reimu line, so it's not available here.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
With that, it's back to Route 1, where even a boat can't shortcut us past the breakable rock.
It does, however, get us a TM. It's the first sound-type move we've seen all game (for us, at least) and it seems pretty solid for a spread-attacker, but none of our Puppets can learn it.
gn_enbu_ss018.pnggn_enbu_ss019.png
There's more to be found on the route, though. This goes to ToTheMoon, as MC-kun's only user of draining moves.
gn_enbu_ss020.png
Soon enough, MC-kun is all the way back to the Hakurei Shrine, where he attempts to harass a turtle in the pond, to no avail.
gn_enbu_ss021.png
Stepping onto the grass, MC-kun immediately encounters a Reimu. While she's not immediately useful, I've just mentioned that she's probably the best Continue-spammer, so she gets caught regardless.
gn_enbu_ss242.pnggn_enbu_ss243.pnggn_enbu_ss244.png
IVs are hot garbage, but at least she's got a good nature for a tank.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
Unfortunately, the item that's been sitting tantalisingly out of reach since the start of the game turns out merely to be a max revive.
gn_enbu_ss023.png
There's a new face about the shrine. MC-kun isn't paying much attention as she talks, though; she manages to sound even more like a teacher than Keine and he's overwhelmed with flashbacks to high-school as she talks away with a lecturer's cadence.
mc-kun_lookright.pngCan't you talk like a normal human being?
Strange resonance with the thoughts of a trainer far away aside, MC-kun's comment is more relevant to Kasen than he might think.
gn_enbu_ss024.pnggn_enbu_ss025.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNo! The Segadrones are attacking!
gn_enbu_ss026.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngFor Mario! Charge!
gn_enbu_ss027.pnggn_enbu_ss028.png
Seems Sanae has also grown bored with taking care of the shrine, leaving just a perfectly normal and lazy human being to take care of it.
Next up for backtracking is Route 3.
gn_enbu_ss031.pnggn_enbu_ss032.png
There's a TM to be found in the Myouren Temple. 150 power is a big number, but I don't think it works with the Haste Charm and it only has 5 PP. What makes it interesting, however, is that Baka is our only Puppet capable of learning it. Given that she's already overpowered, it might be worth giving her some absurd spike potential, but I can't decide on what to replace for now.
Onwards to the Divine Spirit Mausoleum and it's another item that was visible right near the start. Yorihime can learn it; it's more accurate and has 20 more power than her current wind move, but only a 10% chance to flinch instead of 30%. Given how seldom enemies survive more than a single attack, I teach it to her.
With that, it's back to Route 4, where there's an item right by the entrance. No-one can learn it.
Further along is this. I've discussed the Steel version in the past and the same applies here, although I don't teach it to anyone.
gn_enbu_ss039.png
At that point in the loop, I decide to check, yet again, on the empty shack in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost. This time, at last, someone is home.
gn_enbu_ss041.pnggn_enbu_ss042.png
Mokou is ready for a rematch.

gn_enbu_ss043.pnggn_enbu_ss044.png
gn_enbu_ss045.png
Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to have levelled her team at all since the last bout.
gn_enbu_ss046.pnggn_enbu_ss047.png
Moon Wheat makes a good first impression after her style change against Keine. She's afflicted with weakness, but, lacking any healing skills, it's not relevant to her.
gn_enbu_ss048.png
Power Mokou is next and, despite being only one level lower and having a style change of her own, she's one-hit by our Wind move picked up at the start of the route.
gn_enbu_ss049.png
Last is a Sumireko, who simply can't handle Godhotline.
Mokou is pretty chipper about her defeat. MC-kun, meanwhile, is already wondering if there's more to be found in Eientei.
gn_enbu_ss052.png
At the very least, there's a pond for some mucking about with boats.
gn_enbu_ss053.png
Eirin is back in her office but doesn't have anything interesting to say; it's a proper medical Pokémon centre now.
gn_enbu_ss055.png
Kaguya, meanwhile, has calmed down and settled in for a drink when MC-kun interrupts her.
gn_enbu_ss056.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWouldn't you rather talk about the evils of Gamergate?
gn_enbu_ss057.png
It's the happiest MC-kun has been since he met Baka. He whines Kaguya's ear off about the evils of the greatest tragedy of the twenty-first century until she grows bored.
mc-kun_lookright.pngSo anyway, at that stage the Escapist Magazine started shedding all of its best journalists. In particular, there was this heroic movie reviewer...
Kaguya decides that the time has come for less talking and more fighting. We don't often see Puppeteers with more than three Puppets, so it looks for a moment like there might be a chance for a good fight.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
Unfortunately, her Puppets seem to be an equal match to Mokou's. Probably wouldn't have been an overly difficult fight even when we were first here.
gn_enbu_ss061.png
Deplorable tanks through everything Tewi has to offer - two priorty hits and a flinch - before the rabbit's luck runs out and she takes a hit.
gn_enbu_ss062.png
Power Eirin exacts a steep price on NoBadTactics for her victory. At least it isn't wholly one-sided.
gn_enbu_ss063.png
With that, it's back to Deplorable to face off against Power Kaguya. I experiment with Curing Charm and Rest and, indeed, it works.
Unfortunately, that means that the charm isn't around when Kaguya lands a status effect immediately afterwards. She takes a few hits and hangs on with 1 HP, but the level gap is insurmountable and Deplorable is faster.
gn_enbu_ss066.png
Last up is Udonge, too underlevelled for a style change.
gn_enbu_ss067.pnggn_enbu_ss068.png
Now having beaten two immortals, MC-kun assumes that there's nothing more to do around the Bamboo Forest for now.
gn_enbu_ss069.pnggn_enbu_ss070.png
Before continuing the backtracking, MC-kun checks in with Akyuu in the Human Village. She does actually have some hint dialogue to keep him on track, which he ignores completely.
gn_enbu_ss071.png
The boat gives MC-kun a glimpse at this mystery item, surrounded on three sides by water that won't let him get to the actual angle of approach.
gn_enbu_ss072.pnggn_enbu_ss074.png
Other parts of the stream-ridden Route 5 open up, however. There's a Rare Candy to be found in a tree stump on a small island and another just off the main path, accessible only through a circuitous boat route.
gn_enbu_ss073.png
A high-quality Sealing Thread in some blue grass.
gn_enbu_ss075.png
There's also a lonely hut set into the woods, just off the river on what must be the very edge of the map.
gn_enbu_ss076.pnggn_enbu_ss077.png
Inside, someone has just left a TM lying around. My experience with the Dark equivalent of this move tells me that opponents with items are rare, at least at this point in the game.
With that, the backtracking journey takes MC-kun to Rinnosuke, who has the one-use type-boosting items for every type in stock, and then into the Forest of Magic.
gn_enbu_ss079.pnggn_enbu_ss078.png
Where before exploration was stopped by water, now unbreakable rocks prevent movement, although the presence of an item out of reach says that there will be a reason to revisit at some later date.
gn_enbu_ss080.pnggn_enbu_ss081.png
A new Puppeteer battle means a new area, unless I was wholly negligent while exploring.
gn_enbu_ss082.png
The presence of a level 28 Daiyousei suggests that this is a new area, although unfortunately one that still matches the level of fighting Mokou many updates ago.
gn_enbu_ss083.png
gn_enbu_ss084.pnggn_enbu_ss085.png
Her subtlety leads MC-kun straight to a high-damage Poison-type move that only Deplorable can learn and of which she couldn't make good use at all.
gn_enbu_ss086.pnggn_enbu_ss088.png
Alice shrugs off MC-kun now that he's done bothering other magicians for her. He's no stranger to being used by women, however, and so shrugs it off and only cries a little.
The forest is a maze. Getting to this fairy doesn't require the boat at all.
gn_enbu_ss091.png
And, sure enough, it turns out that I just wasn't thorough when exploring before.
gn_enbu_ss092.png
Well, Puppets are immortal, heal fully upon resting and cause endless trouble. Maybe, now that we know that they aren't a magician's fault, this fairy is onto something.
gn_enbu_ss093.png
All she guards, however, is a charm. Given how often I throw NoBadTactics against Poison-types and get her into trouble, it might be worth considering giving it to her.
Through all of this, I can't find where the Genbu Ravine shortcut to the Forest would lead, so it's off to that.
gn_enbu_ss094.png
A short hop later and we might be in virgin territory.
This is seemingly confirmed by a new fight.
gn_enbu_ss098.png
With a level 29 Waggysaggy, no less.
gn_enbu_ss099.png
The fairy is as annoyingly cheerful in defeat as in battle.
gn_enbu_ss100.pnggn_enbu_ss101.png
She's also not alone in that attitude.
gn_enbu_ss102.png
Her first Puppet was a Daiyousei, taken down by Godhotline. I forgot to take a screencap.
gn_enbu_ss103.png
Local fairy not so cheerful after being beaten.
gn_enbu_ss104.png
MC-kun steals her drugs.
Further along is another hungry, hungry youkai.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
Godhotline easily handles a Banki.
gn_enbu_ss109.png
Time to get lost, then.
Trudging through some mud too think for cycling, MC-kun runs into someone revelling in it. Imagine the smell.
gn_enbu_ss112.pnggn_enbu_ss113.pnggn_enbu_ss114.png
MC-kun displays more variety than her in the fight, although I do have to admit that the detailing on the Hina sprite is very nice. I didn't see it spin, though.
gn_enbu_ss115.png
MC-kun does just that, leaving the youkai to her mud.
The stream of battles doesn't abate, however.
NoBadTactics is unleashed upon the enemy and does her thing.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
All she's guarding is a loop back to the start.
The Kappa isn't pleased with the smell of the forest.
I don't think we've seen a Rikako before, but she definitely fits the Kappa archetype. Moon Wheat is able to take care of her and Nitori without difficulty.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDoesn't smell nearly as bad as my basement apartment, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss127.png
Past the Kappa is a vine-wreathed cottage in the woods.
gn_enbu_ss128.pnggn_enbu_ss129.png
The interior is strewn with books. MC-kun, a regular Goldilocks, sleeps in the owner's bed to assert dominance. Here he's definitely happy to breathe in the scents of the place. With no-one home, even in the back room which appears to be a study, MC-kun sets off on his way.
gn_enbu_ss130.png
There are some psilocybins to be harvested just outside. At this point, I decide that this is probably the critical path given how much new content there is and head back to the Ravine to see what can be done with a boat.
gn_enbu_ss131.pnggn_enbu_ss132.png
No special effects, just a solid hit. I explore the Ravine a little more, enough to see that it looks like the Forest is indeed a side area. Back there, then.
gn_enbu_ss133.pnggn_enbu_ss134.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngThis?
gn_enbu_ss135.png
gn_enbu_ss136.png
Now we'll never know.
gn_enbu_ss137.pnggn_enbu_ss138.png
Perhaps she was asking if MC-kun knew about the TM just beyond her. It's a strict upgrade for Baka's Nature-type move, so she learns it.
gn_enbu_ss140.pnggn_enbu_ss141.png
Even the ghosts can't find their way around the forest. Can MC-kun be blamed for getting lost?
gn_enbu_ss142.png
The ghost has a poltergeist, which can't stand up to Moon Wheat.
gn_enbu_ss144.png
Muenzuka (無縁塚, lit. "Mound of the Nameless") is a small, wooded area located at the end of the Road of Reconsideration, known for its poisonous, deep red-colored red spider lilies. It is the graveyard of humans who don't have relatives (and are usually from outside Gensokyo).
The ghost probably didn't have a happy story, but MC-kun doesn't know what Muenzuka is and wouldn't care if he did.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
There's an exit from the Forest here, blocked by breakable rocks. Looks like we'll have to return again some day.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
There's some loot to be found for those who can sail.
gn_enbu_ss147.pnggn_enbu_ss148.png
What did she mean by this?
gn_enbu_ss149.pnggn_enbu_ss150.pnggn_enbu_ss151.png
This time it's MC-kun who displays less variety than a Kappa, with NoBadTactics taking down Nitori and Rika while ToTheMoon eliminates Wakasagihime.
gn_enbu_ss152.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngMaybe, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss153.pnggn_enbu_ss154.png
Beyond the Kappa is a TM. This seems pretty solid, given that I'm usually too lazy to hand out items, but only NoBadTactics is eligible. Just to get some Nether type coverage, in case it ever becomes important, I teach it to her and steal her item; it's better suited to Godhotline at this point in any event.
gn_enbu_ss155.png
Some of the mushrooms are just lying around in the open.
Good to know.
gn_enbu_ss158.png
Another poltergeist for another ghost. ToTheMoon actually heals herself fully thanks to the drain of her attack after that despite eating a super-effective sound attack.
gn_enbu_ss159.png
This isn't Pokemon Wack. He doesn't disappear.
gn_enbu_ss161.pnggn_enbu_ss162.png
Far to the east, another fairy accosts MC-kun in the depths of the swamp.
gn_enbu_ss163.pnggn_enbu_ss164.png
She has two copies of Cirno. Baka makes good use of her new skill.
gn_enbu_ss166.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm here for the phat lewt, pal.
gn_enbu_ss160.pnggn_enbu_ss167.png
Sure enough, there's a TM a little bit further, albeit not one currently useful to us: Deplorable is the only one who can learn it.
gn_enbu_ss168.png
With that, it's across a bridge to reach the southern forest from another angle.
These two ghosts are chatting when interrupted by MC-kun, so it's fully believable that they're friends.
gn_enbu_ss172.png
NoBadTactics immediately uses her new skill to deal with a ghost.
gn_enbu_ss173.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngSorry, friendo. You don't seem like enough of a nonce to be one of my friends.
gn_enbu_ss175.pnggn_enbu_ss176.png
gn_enbu_ss177.png
This time, it's ToTheMoon on poltergeist extermination duty.
gn_enbu_ss178.png
gn_enbu_ss179.png
Sometimes even the mushrooms growing on tree trunks are lootable. It's certainly a bit of a pain checking every one.
gn_enbu_ss180.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNo.
gn_enbu_ss181.png
gn_enbu_ss182.png
ToTheMoon takes down a Marisa and that's that. Baka is protected.
gn_enbu_ss183.png
She apparently tried sealing ToTheMoon during battle.
tweetstorm.png
MC-kun is not about to let this slide. He's pretty sure that he has the only Twitter account in Gensokyo, so cancellation is regrettably not an option, but he'll be damned if he won't unleash his righteous fury all over Twitter towards those who would wrong him. Dozens of Tweets later and he's left seething and decides that it's time to go.
gn_enbu_ss184.pnggn_enbu_ss185.png
Even in Puppet form, Marisa is an efficient thief. The mushroom collector is entirely wrong, though; she's on the same screen as this, obscured by the text box.
gn_enbu_ss186.pnggn_enbu_ss187.png
A little further down the road is a battle junkie.
gn_enbu_ss188.pnggn_enbu_ss189.png
She's packing some power. They're only level 27, but both Ran and Mamizou are cost 120, a fact of which Godhotline eagerly takes advantage to throw out a power 120 Clearing Mist.
gn_enbu_ss191.png
She's lost, but she's still had her fighting fix.
gn_enbu_ss193.pnggn_enbu_ss194.png
The mud is indeed annoying; you can't cycle in it.
gn_enbu_ss195.pnggn_enbu_ss196.png
No need to dodge, however, if you can take down your enemy with a single blow, as Godhotline demonstrates.
gn_enbu_ss197.png
Nor, as ToTheMoon then shows, if you immediately heal back all the damage dealt.
gn_enbu_ss198.png
mc-kun_lookright.png :tomgirl:
gn_enbu_ss199.pnggn_enbu_ss200.png
It's a strange place to see a rabbit youkai too, really. They're mostly concentrated around the Bamboo Forest, rather than the Forest of Magic.
gn_enbu_ss201.png
Godhotline eats a crit but does her thing regardless.
gn_enbu_ss202.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWatch your tongue, pal.
gn_enbu_ss203.pnggn_enbu_ss204.png
After the fight, the path finally comes to a dead end, complete with TM, leaving the rest of the southern forest for exploration.
gn_enbu_ss205.pnggn_enbu_ss206.png
I think this might be a fairy sprite I've not seen before.
gn_enbu_ss207.pnggn_enbu_ss208.png
She opens with two copies of Komachi, both of which do a number on NoBadTactics with priority water moves.
gn_enbu_ss209.png
Then it's on to Komachi's boss. Eiki barely chips away at Moon Wheat before being felled.
gn_enbu_ss210.png
gn_enbu_ss211.pnggn_enbu_ss212.png
Seems like it might be useful if we ever reach a stage in the game where enemies regularly survive more than one attack and I'm not constantly switching.
gn_enbu_ss213.png
Unfortunately, the ever-ravenous MC-kun is not given a chance to accept the offer.
gn_enbu_ss215.png
We've seen the Three Fairies of Light recently.
gn_enbu_ss216.png
Knowing that they're off causing trouble in the Tengu Village and unable to retaliate, MC-kun steals their mushrooms.
gn_enbu_ss217.pnggn_enbu_ss218.png
gn_enbu_ss219.pnggn_enbu_ss220.png
Priority spam gets NoBadTactics to dangerously low HP before ToTheMoon arrives to finish the job.
gn_enbu_ss221.png
Not a good time for the fairy here.
gn_enbu_ss223.png
Much further down the path, everything spirals into a dead end, with an item at the centre. Not a terribly useful one at this stage, I'd say, although in being reusable it's at least better than berries in regular games.
gn_enbu_ss224.png
This fairy doesn't want to fight; just to tell us how disgusting she is.
gn_enbu_ss225.pnggn_enbu_ss226.png
At long last, we reach the item dangled beyond us when first boating around the southern forest. It also brings access to a large waterway.
gn_enbu_ss227.png
All that offers, however, is a single additional exit.
gn_enbu_ss229.pnggn_enbu_ss230.png
Getting here at all is quite the feat; MC-kun fully understands being lost while doing so.
gn_enbu_ss231.pnggn_enbu_ss232.png
It's more or less a perfect fight for Moon Wheat, as she triumphs over our first Kasen and also a Marisa.
gn_enbu_ss233.png
All those who wander are not lost.
gn_enbu_ss234.pnggn_enbu_ss235.png
As this path too begins to spiral, MC-kun grabs a TM from an offshoot. It's not useful to anyone who can learn it - chiefly our focused attackers, Baka and Godhotline.
gn_enbu_ss236.png
Finally, the spiral closes with a lake in the centre.
gn_enbu_ss237.pnggn_enbu_ss238.png
It hides an item which we, with zero Poison Puppets, cannot currently use productively at all. However, since I think I've pretty thoroughly explored the forest and from here it's off to the main path, this will be the end of the update after a brief note of the skills acquired through levelling.
gn_enbu_ss245.png
Baka got Pollen mist. We acquired the TM within the episode and my commentary on that stands: it'd be useful if she were a spread attacker.
gn_enbu_ss246.png
ToTheMoon gets a straight upgrade on Mysterious Flare and takes it with gusto.
gn_enbu_ss247.png
Deplorable picks up something that doesn't help her hyperspecialised kit.
gn_enbu_ss248.png
Godhotline gets an option that would be pretty interesting if it were focused and not spread.
gn_enbu_ss249.png
Lastly, NoBadTactics gets a priority option about which I don't care.
It's been many years since I last played a mainline Pokémon game; are these large side areas standard - I remember things being a lot more linear.

Attachments

• gn_enbu_ss054.png
    gn_enbu_ss054.png
    95 KB · Views: 7

EnemyStand

kiwifarms.net
It's been many years since I last played a mainline Pokémon game; are these large side areas standard - I remember things being a lot more linear.
It depends on the game. Most areas are fairly linear, but as the fans started asking for more complex environments the devs started to deliver. The various Vistory Roads, at least, became more challenging for the most part.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
It's a long one today, due to trying to keep a fairly large zone in one episode.
gn_enbu_ss000.png
Backtracking with the new boat concluded for now, it's time to return to the Genbu Ravine. Given that a river flows through the whole thing, only one bank has been available until now.
gn_enbu_ss048.png
After picking up someone's abandoned dessert near the entrance, it's time to explore.
gn_enbu_ss001.png
It doesn't take long until he's accosted by crazies.
gn_enbu_ss004.png
She leads with an Iku. As a pure Electric type the Air Cushion ability, she has no weaknesses. Aside, that is, from being just over half Baka's level.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
Godhotline versus Nitori is a more traditional fight.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
Perhaps this was the rare Puppeteer who actually used items. I wouldn't know.
gn_enbu_ss007.pnggn_enbu_ss008.png
MC-kun interrupts the frolicking of a nearby fairy before heading into the cave.
gn_enbu_ss009.png
She follows the area theme of priority spam, but it isn't enough.
gn_enbu_ss010.png
gn_enbu_ss011.pnggn_enbu_ss012.png
A kappa guards some stairs right by the cave entrance.
gn_enbu_ss013.png
Godhotline continues to prove a suitable response to the locals.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
A yama-warawa is a mountain kappa. Apparently the river is preferable.
All that lies beyond her is a dead end, unfortunately. Taking the long way around shows it to be a hairpin, with this being the Wind-boosting one. Having been advised that Wind-types will be useful in the immediate future, it's given to Moon Wheat.
MC-kun interrupts a ghost's peaceful spot in the cave.
gn_enbu_ss020.png
As always, the ghost carries a spirit. Moon Wheat picks up double-paralysis during the fight, but doesn't take much damage.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
The ghost doesn't leave.
gn_enbu_ss023.png
The only other thing of note that I find in the cave is this, on a loop back to the entrance. It's a 1.1x damage multiplier to all focused attack damage.
gn_enbu_ss024.png
Next up is the cave which previously led us to the kappa hideout. There's an entrance on either side of the waterfall, with this being the previously-inaccessible one.
gn_enbu_ss026.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'll do what I please.:neckbeard:
With a tip of his cap, MC-kun departs.
gn_enbu_ss027.pnggn_enbu_ss028.png
He apparently wasn't expected on this side of the cave.
NoBadTactics weathers some super-effective priority spam, then ToTheMoon cleans up the rest.
gn_enbu_ss031.png
Apparently the perpetual look of hunger on MC-kun's face is unmistakable.
Another kappa, but this one recognises MC-kun rather than just seeing a hungry, hungry human. He's pleased - no one in Gensokyo has yet acknowledged his blue checkmark, but it's a start.
Moon Wheat easily weathers Rika. At that point, an Iku appears and, once again, my habit of screencapping defeats on the notification of a super-effective attack fails me. She does exploit Moon Wheat's 4x weakness to Electric before she falls, however.
gn_enbu_ss037.png
The wonders of fame.
gn_enbu_ss038.png
Here, MC-kun leans the full extent of the wonders of travel-by-NPC: the path loops back by the previously-impassable water to the kappa who offers transport to the hideout, with no route that MC-kun can see.
A hideout being hidden does make sense, in the end.
gn_enbu_ss040.png
MC-kun considers mugging the kappa. He's not much one for vegetables - the sweets everyone sells for Puppets are much more appealing - but food is food.
gn_enbu_ss041.png
That, however, has him worried.
gn_enbu_ss043.png
Apparently he's not the only prospective cucumber thief in the area.
gn_enbu_ss044.pnggn_enbu_ss045.png
Another kappa asserts the superiority of rivers to mountains. This one doesn't want to fight, despite blocking the path to an item.
gn_enbu_ss046.png
They're an accuracy boost.
gn_enbu_ss047.png
Soon enough, MC-kun has a chance to exit the ravine and the path forks.
gn_enbu_ss049.png
To the west is a rather ominous sign.
To the north is a tengu with an equally-ominous warning.
gn_enbu_ss052.png
To the northwest is a rest stop. Take it easy. The confectioner inside sells hyper potion equivalents, so it's clear that we're getting on the game.
gn_enbu_ss053.png
Flush with cash after selling off his vendor trash, MC-kun is feeling pretty rich and buys a small amount of food for a normal person more than his fair share.
The travelling salesman has a handful of TMs Feeling flush with cash, MC-kun buys the lot in the way of the lottery winner and so renders himself immediately poor once again.
gn_enbu_ss054.png
What use is money if you don't spend it all on frivolities, after all? Without Mario memorabilia, all Gensokyo has is TMs.
gn_enbu_ss055.pnggn_enbu_ss056.pnggn_enbu_ss057.pnggn_enbu_ss058.png
Acid Tears would be interesting for Deplorable, but Extra Kisume is the only variant that can't learn it.
gn_enbu_ss059.png
As always, there's gossip to be had in the rest stop. This kappa is treated to MC-kun's lengthy boasts about how quickly he chased off the invaders.
gn_enbu_ss060.png
Remember to stay hydrated!
gn_enbu_ss061.png
If he were paying enough attention to respond, MC-kun would be torn between saying that only his experience matters and that it is indeed important to listen to the stories of diverse POCs and transwomen.
gn_enbu_ss062.png
MC-kun looks to the thousands of Tweets he's made since unlocking the power of the Nintendo handheld and perhaps even to this.
gn_enbu_ss063.png
With that, it's on to the Road of Liminality, since it seems like a side area.
What precisely this ghost was found doing is a mystery.
gn_enbu_ss066.png
He's got a Komachi, which is promptly drained by ToTheMoon. At level 28, though, it means that we've reached the average level of the forest from last episode for Puppeteers.
gn_enbu_ss067.png
Apparently what he was doing was, in fact, nothing.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
Across the river is another dessert. Someone has been very careless, but MC-kun isn't going to turn down jelly.
Also blocked by the river is a TM that no-one can learn.
gn_enbu_ss071.png
At the end of a lengthy grassy path, one-tile wide for most of its length, MC-kun finds a Rare Candy.
gn_enbu_ss072.pnggn_enbu_ss073.png
He is then promptly (and correctly) identified as a lover of food stalls. Realising what must lie ahead, he immediately regrets spending all his money.
gn_enbu_ss074.png
Godhotline is not one to miss out on the opportunity to throw out a 120-power super-effective Clearing Mist.
gn_enbu_ss075.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIf you're always hungry, food is always tasty.
gn_enbu_ss076.png
MC-kun too likes candy floss. A messy eater, he's not one to care for the consequences.
mc-kun_lookright.pngY-you too.
She has two identical copies of Ringo. ToTheMoon sweeps both.
gn_enbu_ss081.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngSo do I. Buy me an apple, friendo.
She does not, leading MC-kun to a long Twitter rant about the need to exterminate the obsolescents for the superior future.
gn_enbu_ss082.png
MC-kun is far too fat for carnival games.
gn_enbu_ss083.png
The stalls, meanwhile, are manned by ghosts. This one suffers greatly for having no hands.
gn_enbu_ss084.pnggn_enbu_ss086.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYou go, my dude. Youkai belong in camps. I'll definitely take one.
gn_enbu_ss087.pnggn_enbu_ss088.png
As a red-blooded Bostonian, MC-kun's notion of carnival food differs a fair bit, but he's certainly willing to stuff anything edible down his throat.
All while pilfering the stalls as he goes.
His kleptomania is interrupted only by the presence of a drunken Puppet sleeping in a barrel.
gn_enbu_ss093.pnggn_enbu_ss094.png
Further down the road, he finds the brunt of the stalls and continues to steal.
Another barrel containing another oni Puppet. This one MC-kun catches, in part because of the novelty and in part because it's a 2hu 11 character and thus implicitly worth catching.
gn_enbu_ss200.pnggn_enbu_ss201.pnggn_enbu_ss202.png
Doesn't seem great for what we have right now.
gn_enbu_ss097.png
A ghost nearby catches me by surprise and I miss its dialogue, as well as the fight itself, in which a slightly-damaged ToTheMoon heals off a Komachi.
gn_enbu_ss098.png
Imagine if someone in the Human Village were planning such a thing.
gn_enbu_ss099.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngGood luck with that, kid. My Sealing Threads did nothing to the turtle at the Hakurei Shrine.
gn_enbu_ss100.png
An explanation as to where the girl found tortoises swiftly follows.
gn_enbu_ss101.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngLay it on me, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss102.png
MC-kun might be the only person in Gensokyo not capable of danmaku, regardless of his self-professed skills with a .308.
gn_enbu_ss103.pnggn_enbu_ss104.png
I'm apparently not enough of a weeb to be sure of what's going on here.
gn_enbu_ss105.png
Despite being in a consumerist trance, MC-kun still takes the time to make an offering.
gn_enbu_ss106.png
Leaving the youkai to her devices, MC-kun proceeds.
gn_enbu_ss107.png
There's more to be stolen.
gn_enbu_ss108.pnggn_enbu_ss109.pnggn_enbu_ss110.png
More to be acquired, too.
gn_enbu_ss111.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'll be having the blue.
gn_enbu_ss112.png
gn_enbu_ss113.png
An Eiki Puppet judges MC-kun for his crimes against taste, but Moon Wheat is more than a sufficient counter.
gn_enbu_ss114.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYeah, maybe I'll have some of that. And everything else.
gn_enbu_ss115.png
Suitably warned, MC-kun beats his retreat. That simply won't Dew™ it for him.
gn_enbu_ss116.png
MC-kun is no coward and heads straight forward.
gn_enbu_ss117.png
Soon, glowing wisps fill the air.
Not to be deterred, MC-kun sets about pilfering the dead.
gn_enbu_ss121.pnggn_enbu_ss122.png
The ghosts are as talkative as ever; the second doesn't notice MC-kun kicking over its cairn.
gn_enbu_ss123.png
The water doesn't seem suitable to MC-kun's little inflatable raft. There's a larger rowboat here, but no ferryman. MC-kun knows that he has nowhere near the strength to paddle against the currents and so doesn't steal the boat.
That'll show them for dying young.
gn_enbu_ss127.png
This ghost seems to regret not being able to cross the river.
gn_enbu_ss128.png
This one, meanwhile, benefits from the shinigami's absence.
There's a spooky TM lying about in the grass. No-one can learn it, although it seems solid enough.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
I've not consolidated this line and the next like I usually do, because it does play to a nice effect.
gn_enbu_ss132.png
gn_enbu_ss133.png
MC-kun isn't scared of huts that would drive him insane. He's encountered one before in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, after all. His only regret is not having bought more hallucinogens at Eientei.
gn_enbu_ss134.png
It wouldn't help him if he had, though. It's locked.
gn_enbu_ss135.png
Against the eerie background of the Sanzu River, MC-kun catches an Eiki. As much as he admires the police state of his birth, he won't be making use of her. It largely serves as a way to show off the background, since there don't seem to be any trainers around at the moment.
gn_enbu_ss136.pnggn_enbu_ss137.pnggn_enbu_ss138.png
IVs are aren't bad. If this playthrough weren't a Let's Sperg I might well take her, and indeed she still might have something to offer in the future as a tank if some powerlevelling is done.
Not having suffered at all, MC-kun decides that he's done with the river and Road of Liminality for the meanwhile and backtracks.
With that, the moment MC-kun has been dreading arrives. He feels winded just looking at the mountain before him.
gn_enbu_ss141.pnggn_enbu_ss142.png
It doesn't take long to reach the first Puppeteer of the route.
gn_enbu_ss143.pnggn_enbu_ss144.png
She has two identical copies of Shizuha. A shame, but we're hopefully close enough to the level 30 power spike that it shouldn't happen too much more often.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDon't quit your day job, friendo.
gn_enbu_ss146.pnggn_enbu_ss147.png
The cruel game keeps us away from this waterfall, shown also from the ravine below.
Signs and locals are equally welcoming. Even the dead were friendlier.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
For a moment, MC-kun thinks he's encountered a schizo. It's almost nostalgic; there were always plenty of those on the streets of Boston.
gn_enbu_ss151.png
Instead, it's something else entirely.
mc-kun_lookright.pngDo you have a Twitter? Please! I just need someone else in Gensokyo to understand.
gn_enbu_ss152.png
His pleas are seemingly to no avail, though.
gn_enbu_ss153.png
A little further along is the Electric-type hairpin.
Off in a crevice is a Skill Card. It gets taught to ToTheMoon, meaning that between her and NoBadTactics we now have decent Nether coverage.
At last, a change to fight tengu rather than just being threatened by them.
gn_enbu_ss158.pnggn_enbu_ss159.png
More variety has not yet come to pass; NoBadTactics slices her way through two copies of Momiji.
awoont.jpeg
gn_enbu_ss161.png
MC-kun is quite confident in his ability not to get lost. It isn't as if he's spent plenty of time just wandering around the Forest of Magic.
He makes it a little further before being accosted by a fairy.
gn_enbu_ss162.pnggn_enbu_ss163.png
gn_enbu_ss164.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI've got a perfect-IV Cirno.
gn_enbu_ss165.png
gn_enbu_ss166.png
The game continues to show the value of clicking every rock.
A good while and many rests later, MC-kun spots a sign of human activity: a bridge across the river, now far below. As he starts to cross, he's approached.
gn_enbu_ss167.pnggn_enbu_ss168.png
Reimu doesn't even have a blue checkmark.
So you're wandering around this place now, huh?reimu_eosd.png
Just so you know, the are you're standing in was not originally a place for humans.
The tengu may be a noisy bunch, but I do wonder if they've got any more dangerous.​
mc-kun_lookright.pngNot the one I fought.
Nonetheless, if you say you want to pass, how about showing me how strong you are?reimu_eosd.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngBring it, pal.
gn_enbu_ss170.png
Reimu represents the first increase in power we've seen in a long time, as befits a rival. ToTheMoon takes a swing at a Power Aya, but a quick switch on Reimu's part ensures that it only deals substantial damage to a Defence Suika instead. The team really is hideously overlevelled at this point.
gn_enbu_ss171.pnggn_enbu_ss172.png
Suika sets up a sandstorm, but doesn't accomplish anything with it, as Moon Wheat is ready for the kill.
gn_enbu_ss173.png
Aya returns and Moon Wheat once again finishes what ToTheMoon started.
gn_enbu_ss174.png
Last up is Power Reimu, her ace and only one level behind Moon Wheat, the lowest-levelled member of MC-kun's team. She is faster, as one would expect, and deals a fair chunk of damage, but it's not enough.
gn_enbu_ss175.pnggn_enbu_ss176.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngAs if you could stop me.
gn_enbu_ss177.pnggn_enbu_ss178.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngGreat, a snack.
gn_enbu_ss179.pnggn_enbu_ss180.png
Having handed out a warning, Reimu departs.
Across the bridge is a waterfall MC-kun can descend in his boat. It doesn't lead to the cave Reimu was mentioning, but there are some things of note to see.
gn_enbu_ss181.pnggn_enbu_ss182.png
A low-powered attack that slows is noteworthy.
gn_enbu_ss183.png
As is a far-off hut, high above. For now, though, all MC-kun can do is continue to take the river downstream back to the start of the zone. A useful shortcut for descent, no doubt, but a mortifying one at his level of fitness for having to repeat the climb.
gn_enbu_ss184.png
When he eventually, returns, MC-kun finds the cave, as well as a kappa merchant. He's carrying an assortment of repels, heals and Sealing Threads, but MC-kun is dead broke and couldn't afford anything even if he wanted it.
gn_enbu_ss186.png
Inside the nearby hut is a tengu, who doesn't have any omens of doom to spout.
gn_enbu_ss188.pnggn_enbu_ss190.png
MC-kun is very familiar with the principles of work avoidance and takes the implicit offer of a rest and full-heal, alongside catching his breath
gn_enbu_ss191.png
MC-kun wouldn't jeopardise a rest spot.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
With that, it's into the cave. It seems like a large one.
gn_enbu_ss194.pnggn_enbu_ss195.png
A fairy displays the usual burning intelligence of its kind.
gn_enbu_ss196.png
It throws a Minoriko at Godhotline, to no avail.
gn_enbu_ss197.png
The strongest.
gn_enbu_ss198.png
gn_enbu_ss199.png
Never missing the chance to collect a Subterranean Animism 2hu, MC-kun grabs a Yamame.
gn_enbu_ss203.pnggn_enbu_ss204.pnggn_enbu_ss205.png
IVs aren't great. Poison Trap is a fun option, though; Toxic Spikes is probably the most entertaining entry hazard by my recollection, even if Stealth Rock is often better.
A little deeper into the cave is a journalist. Stunning and brave.
gn_enbu_ss208.png
He packs a Hatate, the very image of modern journalism, phone in hand. She lands a priority crit on ToTheMoon, but it does nothing between a bad type matchup and the level gap.
gn_enbu_ss209.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngBaka is the strongest. Simple as.
gn_enbu_ss210.png
It's the equivalent to the Red Ring from earlier: a small buff to all spread attacks.
gn_enbu_ss211.png
At this point, the path broadens. I imagine I'd hate this if Flash was required in this game.
gn_enbu_ss213.pnggn_enbu_ss214.png
Straight ahead is a hungry youkai. MC-kun considers asking for a bite.
gn_enbu_ss215.pnggn_enbu_ss216.png
Neither Not-Benben nor the actual Benben can stand up to Moon Wheat.
gn_enbu_ss217.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI;m thinking about thos beans.
gn_enbu_ss212.png
All she has for him, however, is a Rare Candy, not any manjuu.
gn_enbu_ss218.pnggn_enbu_ss219.png
To the east is a TM that is probably useless outside of PvP.
As well as another glutton. He's feeling quite at home.
gn_enbu_ss222.pnggn_enbu_ss223.png
The crits come fast and loose, as both Ichirin and Murasa land critical hits on Moon Wheat and ToThe Moon respectively, but it's ultimately hopeless on both sides.
gn_enbu_ss224.png
She's got that right.
gn_enbu_ss225.png
ToTheMoon also picks up a new option for a skill. It doesn't currently seem useful; we've not seen any evasion tanks so far this game.
gn_enbu_ss226.pnggn_enbu_ss227.png
To the east are an infodump tengu and, presumably, her lunch. MC-kun gaffles it without a second thought.
gn_enbu_ss228.png
From there, it's deeper into the caves. From here, things start splitting enough that I'm not going to bother trying to keep a reader well-oriented, because the cave becomes system of twisty little passage, all alike. It's not all that bad, but screenshots don't do it justice.
gn_enbu_ss229.png
It's not a system devoid of loot, however.
gn_enbu_ss230.png
A ladder deeper into the caves leads, thankfully, to a dead end with a not-especially-useful item.
gn_enbu_ss233.pnggn_enbu_ss234.png
MC-kun gets slightly lost in the caves and wanders into a tengu who questions his ability to read. She's probably right.
gn_enbu_ss235.pnggn_enbu_ss236.pnggn_enbu_ss237.png
He can definitely outfight her, though. Moon Wheat takes care of one Hina, then ToTheMoon takes over for a Nitori and another Hina.
gn_enbu_ss239.png
gn_enbu_ss240.pnggn_enbu_ss241.png
A cloaked youkai seems about as confused as MC-kun as to why they're fighting.
gn_enbu_ss242.png
All she has is a Nitori, which ToTheMoon drains.
gn_enbu_ss243.png
MC-kun isn't sure why; nothing so far has seemed threatening.
This youkai doesn't want to fight; just to talk about her quest to touch fluffy tail.
Another tengu wanting an interview with the now-famous MC-kun.
I once again fail to get a screencap of an Iku, while Godhotline eliminates an Aya.
gn_enbu_ss250.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNah. It's all about grabbing a controversy from Twitter and just saying what you want people to think.
gn_enbu_ss251.png
An exit lies beyond. It looks dangerously like the critical path, so I explore elsewhere.
gn_enbu_ss252.png
Up yet another ladder, for example.
gn_enbu_ss253.pnggn_enbu_ss254.png
MC-kun is gravely offended at being called a youkai.
gn_enbu_ss255.png
Moon Wheat mercilessly puts down a Hina.
gn_enbu_ss256.png
gn_enbu_ss257.png
Stealing her lunch sounds like a good act of vengeance.
gn_enbu_ss258.png
Thanks to the wonders of modern fashion, Deplorable no longer has strings and lurks in a box rather than a bucket. MC-kun informs her of this, helpfully.
gn_enbu_ss260.pnggn_enbu_ss261.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWhat a coincidence. So am I.
gn_enbu_ss264.png
That offer is accepted. MC-kun is always eager for fame and followers.
gn_enbu_ss265.png
Another exit here, but this one seems far less critical.
gn_enbu_ss266.pnggn_enbu_ss267.png
Instead, there's a whiner.
gn_enbu_ss268.png
A charm too, by the hut we saw from the river earlier.
gn_enbu_ss270.png
Inside the hut is Hina, who twirls around to speak to MC-kun as he approaches her. He takes the Akyuu Puppet as a sign that she's probably not here to fight.
gn_enbu_ss271.pnggn_enbu_ss272.png
gn_enbu_ss273.pnggn_enbu_ss274.png
gn_enbu_ss275.png
Hina is a service provider. Not playing a Nuzlocke, I hadn't noticed until now that there isn't a release button by default. She'll spin Puppets away if required. It's not something MC-kun wants, however.
With that, it's back to what seemed to be the essential exit.
gn_enbu_ss276.png
Just outside is a very important catch: Leftovers. I'd eagerly give them to Deplorable, but she's currently messing around with a Curing Charm for a different approach.
gn_enbu_ss277.png
Also nearby are the twin harvest goddesses, in the flesh (as it were).
gn_enbu_ss278.pnggn_enbu_ss279.pnggn_enbu_ss280.png
Minoriko jumps from musing to fighting in a flash.
gn_enbu_ss281.pnggn_enbu_ss282.png
She leads with her sister and follows with herself, but Godhotline one-shots both.
gn_enbu_ss283.png
MC-kun hopes so. Maybe it'd convince those obsolete farmers to just move to the city and buy their food from a grocer.
gn_enbu_ss284.pnggn_enbu_ss285.png
gn_enbu_ss286.pnggn_enbu_ss287.png
Shizuha is less talkative but it's a second fight, same as the first.
gn_enbu_ss288.png
The trees nearby seem pretty green.
gn_enbu_ss290.pnggn_enbu_ss291.png
The famed awoo girl herself blocks MC-kun's path.
gn_enbu_ss292.png
She opens with a Hina, which swiftly falls to Moon Wheat.
gn_enbu_ss293.pnggn_enbu_ss294.png
At that point, she reveals her ace: Speed Momiji holds on at 1 HP against NoBadTactics with its ability before the second attack ends it.
gn_enbu_ss295.png
All that remains is a Nitori, which ToTheMoon easily handles.
gn_enbu_ss296.pnggn_enbu_ss297.png
MC-kun goes where he pleases.
gn_enbu_ss298.pnggn_enbu_ss299.png
Up the nearby stairs are a familiar duo, once again blocking the path.
gn_enbu_ss301.pnggn_enbu_ss302.png
Instead, MC-kun has to follow the river as it snakes its way up the mountain, leading to another fight with a kappa.
gn_enbu_ss303.pnggn_enbu_ss304.png
ToTheMoon and Moon Wheat fight their way to victory, although the team is looking nearly bruised enough to use the first healing items in a long while.
gn_enbu_ss306.png
Thankful, MC-kun makes his escape.
gn_enbu_ss307.pnggn_enbu_ss308.png
What follows appears be be another cave, but we fortunately don't have to traverse it. As MC-kun emerges immediately in the Tengu Village, this episode has gone over 300 images and it's time for it to conclude.

Attachments

• gn_enbu_ss262.png
    gn_enbu_ss262.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 2

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
Some time has passed since the last episode, in large part due to the site giving me some trouble. I do apologise.
We left the last episode with MC-kun having headed through a mountain tunnel to a tree-filled pathway. A little distance further and he finds a bridge across a stream.
gn_enbu_ss000.png
He's interrupted as he begins to cross.
gn_enbu_ss001.png
Aya quickly reveals herself. She's got enough time for a chat, at least.
gn_enbu_ss003.pnggn_enbu_ss004.png
gn_enbu_ss005.png
MC-kun resolves not to change his usual strategy of talking to everyone in the least.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngYour ... brush?
gn_enbu_ss007.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm a red-blooded American, friendo. I don't know what a news brush is.
gn_enbu_ss008.pnggn_enbu_ss009.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWait...!
gn_enbu_ss010.png
gn_enbu_ss011.pnggn_enbu_ss013.png
Hatate leads and deals some nasty damage with a crit, but ToTheMoon uses her usual boosted draining-type move and, after a second time, claims her victory.
gn_enbu_ss014.pnggn_enbu_ss016.png
Aya follows, but there's only so much she can do before ToTheMoon one-shots her.
mc-kun_lookright.pngOf course I'm not the criminal, pal. Just wait until Twitter hears that I've been profiled when I know who actually did it.
gn_enbu_ss019.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngWhat don't I know, friendo? Just wait until I catch those fairies.

gn_enbu_ss021.png
gn_enbu_ss022.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngGive that to me.

mc-kun_lookright.pngWhat?
gn_enbu_ss027.png
MC-kun doesn't really care all that much about the youma books - he can't even read them - but he's got no better leads on what's going on and he still craves ultimate power.
mc-kun_lookright.pngEh, sure.
gn_enbu_ss029.pnggn_enbu_ss031.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI thought you needed your brush for that.
gn_enbu_ss033.png
With that, Aya is off and MC-kun is free to proceed.
gn_enbu_ss034.pnggn_enbu_ss035.png
The Tengu Village is only a few steps away. Almost immediately, MC-kun finds a Puppet in a barrel.
gn_enbu_ss036.png
With ToTheMoon's help, he continues his tradition of catching everything to be found in a barrel. Besides, he's interested in whether the Puppet's flip-phone is in working condition and, if so, whether he can make better use of it for his Twitter needs than his console. He has no luck in the matter, however.
gn_enbu_ss042.pnggn_enbu_ss043.pnggn_enbu_ss044.png
Fast, but not otherwise that interesting. Moon Wheat covers spread wind attacks.
gn_enbu_ss037.png
The fact that he's currently tracking down some thieves does nothing to dissuade MC-kun, meanwhile, from some theft of his own.
gn_enbu_ss038.png
gn_enbu_ss040.png
Duly warned, MC-kun continues his exploration.
gn_enbu_ss041.png
MC-kun isn't scared. He simply tips his cap and leaves.
gn_enbu_ss045.png
It's a 300-step repel, but that's not the important part.
mc-kun_lookright.pngMagatama? MAGA-tama? They're here? The ghouls?
download.png
So incandescent is MC-kun's rage that his verified ban is restored in the ensuing Tweetstorm.
gn_enbu_ss046.png
While MC-kun doesn't deign that with a response, he's almost starting to relax. Not a single tengu has attacked him.
gn_enbu_ss048.pnggn_enbu_ss049.png
That quickly changes, as he's called sus and forced into battle.
gn_enbu_ss050.png
The battle opens with ToTheMoon easily draining an Aya.
At that point, NoBadTactics arrives with her ideal type matchup and quickly eliminates two Momiji, reminding me in the process to heal.
gn_enbu_ss054.png
Indeed, the rest stop is visible to the right in this frame.
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'd know if that were the case, friendo. I loot every vase, shrub and barrel.
gn_enbu_ss055.png
Everyone inside the rest stop is a journalist. There's nothing new or interesting on sale, but all of the others have things to say - the two in the top-right, in particular, are arguing over the virtues of boots-on-the-ground journalism versus the Buzzfeed approach.
gn_enbu_ss056.pnggn_enbu_ss057.png
Next-door, a tengu makes the crucial admission. This would not come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the source material - one of the official books, which is ostensibly a tengu tabloid, is titled Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia.
gn_enbu_ss058.png
MC-kun would never doubt a journalist, but he does exact some payment in the form of lunch.
gn_enbu_ss060.pnggn_enbu_ss061.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngAre you racially-profiling me, friendo? Don't you know who I am?
The battle takes a while to start as MC-kun continues to rant.
gn_enbu_ss062.pnggn_enbu_ss063.png
Eventually, however, the time comes to fight. NoBadTactics effortlessly sweeps her way through a duo of Hatate.
MC-kun isn't about to take that advice. He heads north.
gn_enbu_ss066.pnggn_enbu_ss067.png
A neat TM, but unfortunately not available to anyone.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
Wandering southward afterwards, MC-kun's habit of checking every bush suddenly bites him with plot progression.
Intrigued, he investigates further, only to be rebuffed repeatedly.
gn_enbu_ss071.png
Eventually, the bushes' inhabitants realise that he isn't fooled by their words.
gn_enbu_ss072.pnggn_enbu_ss074.png
So we see the trio with a single brain cell between them.
gn_enbu_ss075.pnggn_enbu_ss076.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngGive me that camouflage, friendo, or things are going to get ugly.
gn_enbu_ss078.pnggn_enbu_ss080.png
With that, it's time to fight. The Three Fairies of Light fight as one against MC-kun alone, but he's not bothered. They've got six Puppets between them, a first for this game, but he's no stranger to exterminating fairies.
In honour of the fight lasting long enough for it to have a chance of being meaningful, Deplorable lays out an entry hazard before doing her thing.
gn_enbu_ss085.png
She's overlevelled enough that even with her abysmal focused attack, she still takes away the rest of Sunny's HP with a single attack.
gn_enbu_ss086.pnggn_enbu_ss087.png
After that, the levels jump suddenly to a slightly more reasonable level. Luna sets up weather that buffs her damage and nerfs Deplorable's, so ToTheMoon switches in to assist. She has a bad time as Luna lands some super-effective hits (including a crit), but manages to retaliate with her own.
gn_enbu_ss088.pnggn_enbu_ss089.png
Power Sunny follows and uses the weather to give Moon Wheat a beatdown, but she endures until the aurora fades and eventually stops missing to land the lethal Mudslide.
gn_enbu_ss090.png
Power Star follows and proves no match for Baka, who easily endures to land her own attack.
What follows is more cleanup than anything else. Godhotline slices her way through a Luna, while Deplorable returns to finish what she started and knocks out a Star.
gn_enbu_ss093.pnggn_enbu_ss094.pnggn_enbu_ss095.png
With that, the fairies flee, Luna lagging slightly behind.
gn_enbu_ss098.png
With that, it's back to exploring the village. This tengu has a revolutionary plan for remote photography.
Inside what is presumably his house is a weather-enhancing item. Sunshower is the Wonder Room-equivalent, switching SpDef and FoDef. It won't matter at all for so long as I'm hideously overlevelled.
gn_enbu_ss101.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI've dealt with your fairy problem.
gn_enbu_ss103.png
MC-kun leads Aya south through the village.
After reading the Reborn Let's Sperg and not playing this for a while, it almost feels surprising. Aya just hands over the McGuffin immediately, with no further fuss.
gn_enbu_ss108.pnggn_enbu_ss109.png
gn_enbu_ss110.png
For once, my ten-minute reaction times actually catch an NPC walking away - amusing that it happens with the fastest of the lot.
gn_enbu_ss111.png
With that, MC-kun is done with the tengu. He returns to where the cart earlier blocked the path and, sure enough, it's been moved.
gn_enbu_ss112.pnggn_enbu_ss113.png
He's told what he's already seen, as well as a little extra.
gn_enbu_ss114.pnggn_enbu_ss115.png
Meanwhile, the kappa continue to be belligerent.
gn_enbu_ss116.pnggn_enbu_ss117.pnggn_enbu_ss118.png
A startling choice with a severe type disadvantage to ToTheMoon.
gn_enbu_ss119.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNothing personnel ... friendo.
gn_enbu_ss120.png
The climb continues, along with trend of items found in rocks.
gn_enbu_ss121.pnggn_enbu_ss122.png
This is a good question. I legitimately don't remember why I'm climbing this mountain, other than not having anywhere else to go at the moment.
gn_enbu_ss123.png
The battle is less mysterious. NoBadTactics does the Time Warp again.
gn_enbu_ss125.png
MC-kun always thinks of himself as the heart and soul of the party, so he's ready to proceed. He's drunk his share of sake labelled as produced at the Moriya Shrine too, so he's basically an expert.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
At this point, it's straight back into mountaineering. There's a river to be traversed and loot to be found.
A shame all of the tengu are taking the day off.
mc-kun_lookright.pngYes.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
For once, I catch a living Iku, as Baka prepares to obliterate her.
The rest of the fight is more perfunctory; NoBadTactics easily tidies up a Hatate and Chen.
gn_enbu_ss134.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNot surprising, with how little you tried.
gn_enbu_ss135.png
With sacramental sake just lying around, the shrine must be close.
gn_enbu_ss137.png
This time, MC-kun isn't profiled.
Moon Wheat puts on a show; Kisume holds on through the first attack, but it's not enough to prevent that one last point of damage from landing the next turn.
gn_enbu_ss145.png
Strange words for someone with only one Puppet.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
With that, it's a zone transition, to an area where MC-kun is accosted by someone looking for Kasen. He hasn't seen her.
gn_enbu_ss147.png
Most of the zone seems to be inaccessible, however. Instead, MC-kun continues climbing the mountain.
That gets MC-kun to a zone with a new name and a lot of stairs. Fully out-of-breath, he pauses for a while to take advantage of the excellent mobile reception this high on the mountain.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
Soon enough, he passes through the torii and into the shrine grounds.
gn_enbu_ss151.png
There's a visitor who made it through with grit, determination and power. In the future, all he'll need is a cable car, but I'm pretty sure that plot point was well after this game released.
gn_enbu_ss152.pnggn_enbu_ss154.png
Closer to the shrine proper, MC-kun is accosted. It's a familiar face, at least, although MC-kun's Twitter habits forbid him from acknowledging it.
mc-kun_lookright.pngWho are you?
gn_enbu_ss155.pnggn_enbu_ss156.png
Before MC-kun can respond, another voice chimes in.
gn_enbu_ss157.png
She quickly reveals herself, as Sanae gushes an introduction.
gn_enbu_ss159.pnggn_enbu_ss161.png
gn_enbu_ss163.pnggn_enbu_ss165.png
A god, willing to chat. Not something you encounter every day. MC-kun is about to take Kanako up on her offer, when suddenly...
gn_enbu_ss167.pnggn_enbu_ss169.png
It's rival time. Sanae was our first battle and it's finally time for a rematch.
gn_enbu_ss173.png
We might at last have at least a slight challenge. Defence Reimu is a premier tank as well as a brutal damage-dealer. She absolutely brutalises NoBadTactics with an attack that uses the enemy's FoAtk instead of her own, almost one-shotting her without a type advantage or crit. At the same time, NoBadTactic's passive lands and prevents Reimu from healing. She's the best Continue tank in the game and so that's small mercy. As she sharply buffs her FoDef, I realise that it's time to change tack.
I get my typings backwards and ToTheMoon almost gets herself killed after Reimu buffs herself and continues to attack, but she eventually carries the day.
Godhotline makes a valiant effort against Sanae, but takes two hits before she can attack and that proves to be enough. Baka is sent forth to tidy up the mess.
gn_enbu_ss178.png
With the ace out of the way, Moon Wheat emerges to avenger her sister, but suffers the same fate, getting one-hit on switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss179.pnggn_enbu_ss181.png
Marisa, a glass cannon extraordinaire, then proceeds to flail ineffectually at Deplorable, who lands her status and begins to chip.
gn_enbu_ss182.pnggn_enbu_ss184.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'm the best.
gn_enbu_ss186.pnggn_enbu_ss187.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIs...
Is that...?!​
It's all MC-kun can do not to pass out as he sees what Sanae is offering him. An item of great religious significance to him. He wasn't sure why he was visiting the shrine before, but Remilia must have been right. It was fate.
He immediately begins a massive spergout, both in person and on social media.
download (1).png
kanakp.pngJust what is he on about?
I apologise, Lady Kanako. I have no idea.sanae_lolk.png

gn_enbu_ss189.png
Eventually, MC-kun calms down enough for Sanae to offer a brief tutorial, but he is paying no attention.
gn_enbu_ss192.pnggn_enbu_ss193.pnggn_enbu_ss195.png
Shortcuts are nice, certainly. There are plenty of rocks to check now that they can be broken.
gn_enbu_ss197.pnggn_enbu_ss198.png
Kanako decides that she's done and takes her leave, letting Sanae deal with the hyperventilating MC-kun. It takes a good while, but eventually the paroxysms of Mahvel recede.
gn_enbu_ss202.png
With the power of the Superpower Glove, there's probably plenty to do.
gn_enbu_ss203.png
But first, MC-kun has to calm down. He takes a nap in what he assumes must be Sanae's bed.
gn_enbu_ss204.png
Kanako wholly ignores that MC-kun is perfectly happy where he is. Exuberant, even. Practically euphoric.
gn_enbu_ss205.pnggn_enbu_ss206.png
gn_enbu_ss207.pnggn_enbu_ss208.pnggn_enbu_ss209.png
Kanako is full of tricks. She opens with a Power Sanae, which switches immediately into her ace, Power Kanako. ToTheMoon stares down the first opponent in a long time to outlevel her for all of a turn before she too switches into Speed Suwako.
gn_enbu_ss210.png
Suwako then one-shots Godhotline, who seemed the ideal matchup for the moment, all while her stats swing wildly.
gn_enbu_ss211.png
Suwako spams Supernatural Border, the Protect-equivalent and lets her ability take the wheel, sharply raising one random stat and normally lowering one other per turn. Baka sits through it until, finally, she lands a 4x effective Voice of Famine.
gn_enbu_ss212.png
At that point, NoBadTactics attempts to challenge Kanako but, like Godhotline, gets herself one-shot as Kanako flexes her type advantage.
gn_enbu_ss213.pnggn_enbu_ss214.png
ToTheMoon barely lives through one attack from a faster Kanako, at which point Deplorable gets sent out. A crying shame, since if I'd gambled on the switch ToTheMoon would have been extremely effective.
gn_enbu_ss215.png
Kept confused by Sanae, Deplorable nonetheless starts getting her job done. At the time of that screencap, she uses Continue as Sanae switches out to Kanako.
gn_enbu_ss216.pnggn_enbu_ss217.png
gn_enbu_ss218.png
With my poor timing, I break out the healing items for the first time in many hours. Eventually, Deplorable tanks her way to burning Kanako.
gn_enbu_ss219.pnggn_enbu_ss220.png
At that point, luck proves itself to be on my side as Deplorable hands on with 3 HP to heal herself.
gn_enbu_ss221.pnggn_enbu_ss222.png
When that happens, it's over. Kanako attacks twice more before she succumbs to her burns.
gn_enbu_ss223.pnggn_enbu_ss224.png
Deplorable then unfreezes just in time to hit Sanae, who survives on a sliver of HP to be felled by her burn.
Has MC-kun done it? With her godlike powers, will Kanako return him to the Outside World (against his will)?
gn_enbu_ss226.pnggn_enbu_ss227.pnggn_enbu_ss228.png
Of course not.
gn_enbu_ss229.pnggn_enbu_ss230.pnggn_enbu_ss231.png
She does have some loot for him, at least.
gn_enbu_ss233.png
It's a Lucky Egg, apparently, which doesn't seem too useful when Kanako has probably been the first fight since Miko to pose a decent challenge. At least it's a way to bring new entrants up to speed, if that ever happens.
gn_enbu_ss232.png
She could, but she won't.
On that, we'll end this episode. It's been a while, but I'm pleased to be back in the swing of things. Hopefully Kanako will be an indicator of a difficulty spike, although as she's an optional boss I have my doubts.
Thank you, readers, for waiting warmly during the gap in posting.
Edited to fix the one broken image I missed.

Attachments

• gn_enbu_ss072.png
    gn_enbu_ss072.png
    130 KB · Views: 3
  • gn_enbu_ss207.png
    gn_enbu_ss207.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
  • gn_enbu_ss012.png
    gn_enbu_ss012.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
  • gn_enbu_ss015.png
    gn_enbu_ss015.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 3
  • gn_enbu_ss020.png
    gn_enbu_ss020.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 2
  • gn_enbu_ss025.png
    gn_enbu_ss025.png
    140 KB · Views: 1
  • gn_enbu_ss026.png
    gn_enbu_ss026.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 3
  • gn_enbu_ss028.png
    gn_enbu_ss028.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 3
  • gn_enbu_ss030.png
    gn_enbu_ss030.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 2
  • gn_enbu_ss032.png
    gn_enbu_ss032.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 1
  • gn_enbu_ss039.png
    gn_enbu_ss039.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
The difficulty increases a little from here onwards, normal trainers will be using styled puppets. Still massively underleveled, especially to Baka.

Kanako was to be the first serious curve ball challenge until and after 2hu E4 , that's when things get a little challenging. There is also Chireidan before which may offer a good fight.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
The difficulty increases a little from here onwards, normal trainers will be using styled puppets. Still massively underleveled, especially to Baka.

Kanako was to be the first serious curve ball challenge until and after 2hu E4 , that's when things get a little challenging. There is also Chireidan before which may offer a good fight.
Good to hear that there will be at least something of a step upwards and also that Chireiden has a chance to be a good time - I've made my bias towards Subterranean Animism pretty blatant in the past.
I generally switch Baka out immediately and only use her against other Cirnos and boss fights to keep things a bit more interesting, but that does have the compounding problem of her getting ever more overlevelled, with the only solution being setting someone else as the lead, which I won't do.
Pretty much every non-boss since the boat unlock and maybe even going back to Eientei has had Puppets in the 26-28 level range, it feels, so if they'll finally hit level 30 and start using styles, it's good.

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
Good to hear that there will be at least something of a step upwards and also that Chireiden has a chance to be a good time - I've made my bias towards Subterranean Animism pretty blatant in the past.
I generally switch Baka out immediately and only use her against other Cirnos and boss fights to keep things a bit more interesting, but that does have the compounding problem of her getting ever more overlevelled, with the only solution being setting someone else as the lead, which I won't do.
Pretty much every non-boss since the boat unlock and maybe even going back to Eientei has had Puppets in the 26-28 level range, it feels, so if they'll finally hit level 30 and start using styles, it's good.
Satori is always a challenge - the challenge is a mirror fight with your own team ! Her AI is random depending on the team and moves. Moves affected by weather and stalls are not quite her forte ; conversely, it is brutal when Satori unveils your sweeper against your team. A past game had starter P.Remilia swept the whole team twice until I changed a teammate for a dedicated stall.

After Satori, E4 can be a bit of a challenge. Post game is where most of the difficulty resides, with Flandre to top everything.

Penne Dreadful

Unnaturally Pulpy
kiwifarms.net
A brief review of 2hu 18, now that the full release has been out for a bit and I've struggled my way to Normal 1CCs: it's trickier than 16 and 17, however much vampire Marisa might let you spam your way through everything. The cards aren't my favourite gimmick, but they're not bad either.
Without further ado, let's get back to Touhoumon.
We left off the last episode in the Moriya Shrine after a fairly brutal battle with Kanako, the happy merchant goddess resident in the shrine. There's still plenty to see, however, even before trying out the fancy new Superpower Glove that had MC-kun so excited.
Heading further up the mountain past the shrine, MC-kun encounters a worshipper struggling with the formalities.
mc-kun_lookright.pngGods are pushovers, friendo. Just battle them (and win, of course, like me) if they get on your nerves. :neckbeard:
gn_enbu_ss002.png
He's also not the only fedora-tipper in the region.
gn_enbu_ss003.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI bet she has some good loot.
gn_enbu_ss004.png
The ascent, meanwhile, grows ever more dramatic.
gn_enbu_ss005.png
Much like many of the tengu back in the village, this one is too lazy to do her job properly.
gn_enbu_ss006.png
This makes MC-kun start re-evaluating his stance towards Kanako. Nothing like some industrialisation to leave the ghouls behind.
gn_enbu_ss007.pnggn_enbu_ss008.png
The tengu might be lazy, but the Youkai Mountain's other inhabitants are much more enthusiastic about Kanako's brand of marketing.
gn_enbu_ss009.pnggn_enbu_ss010.png
The other youkai before the lake has some comments on the site itself: both the pillars and the greater region. MC-kun knew none of it, but doesn't really care either. He's still in the aftershocks of his violent Marvelgasm.
gn_enbu_ss011.png
Learning that the lake was imported isn't enough to stop him from sailing it.
gn_enbu_ss012.png
There's plenty to see: it's a massive lake, dotted with the pillars.
There are also items to be found. This one lies just off the edge of the lake itself.
gn_enbu_ss015.png
Others, meanwhile, require bolder sailing.
gn_enbu_ss020.png
MC-kun's fear is less about the waterfall and more about the amount of cycling he'll have to do to regain the lost altitude. At least you don't have to walk down a waterfall.
gn_enbu_ss021.png
Eventually, however, he manages. There's nothing to do at Suwako's shrine for now, however.
gn_enbu_ss022.png
Passage further up towards the peak of the mountain is also blocked by boat, leaving only a grass-overgrown footpath.
Another charm with no current use case.
gn_enbu_ss025.png
Nearby, a route deeper into the woods.
gn_enbu_ss026.png
That leads to a clearing with a lot of crates and a hut. MC-kun starts rifling through them and, sure enough, they're all packed with dumplings.
gn_enbu_ss027.png
Eventually, his pilfering catches the eye of one of the inhabitants.
We didn't actually encounter Seiran and Ringo in the flesh in the Lunar Capital, with that absence despite them being catchable now getting an explanation.
gn_enbu_ss031.png
Seiran doesn't instantly defeat MC-kun like the other Lunarians, however, and immediately launches into battle.
gn_enbu_ss032.png
Rei'sen is fast, but she can only ineffectually chip away at ToTheMoon before being drained.
gn_enbu_ss033.png
Moon Wheat switches in to take a shot at the lesser Lunarian, but shows her weakness, getting dropped just below half HP on switch-in.
gn_enbu_ss034.pnggn_enbu_ss035.png
I'm not about to let her repeat that performance, so the job instead falls to NoBadTactics, who no-sells Seiran's lightning and then effortlessly eliminates her.
gn_enbu_ss036.pnggn_enbu_ss037.png
NoBadTactics sticks around for what turns into a vicious two-turn slugfest with Ringo as each survives the other's first attack despite mutual type advantages.
gn_enbu_ss038.png
NoBadTactics, however, is faster and thus strikes first to claim her victory.
gn_enbu_ss039.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngDo you know who I am?
gn_enbu_ss040.png
Seiran did a number on a Toyohime eight levels her superior, but she's still right: even the rabbits on the moon didn't permit a fight.
gn_enbu_ss041.pnggn_enbu_ss042.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI know all about that, friendo. I'm a regular in the Lunar Capital.
Leaving the bemused rabbit before she can comment, MC-kun continues to loot her camp and examine the new skills some Puppets acquired in the fight.
gn_enbu_ss048.png
Deplorable acquires a drain, but with her abysmal Focus Attack, I'd rather stick with Continue for healing.
gn_enbu_ss049.png
NoBadTactics, meanwhile, acquires a solid Dark move. She completes her journey to an edgy skillset by dropping Light Javelin for it: Godhotline covers that niche nicely at this point.
gn_enbu_ss043.png
The crates both contain healing dumplings, just like the ones outside.
gn_enbu_ss044.pnggn_enbu_ss046.png
gn_enbu_ss045.png
The same is true of the area's other storeroom, with even more crates alongside some slightly more interesting items.
gn_enbu_ss047.png
The TM is also useful, for once. Moon Wheat picks up a slightly better water attack.
gn_enbu_ss050.png
Orderly rocks block further passage by water, as they so often do, so there's little of the camp left to explore.
gn_enbu_ss052.png
MC-kun decides not to mention that he caught a Ringo a good while back.
gn_enbu_ss053.pnggn_enbu_ss054.png
mc-kun_lookright.png:tomgirl:
gn_enbu_ss055.png
Like Seiran before her, Ringo opens with a Rei'sen, but we've finally reached a level where there's some differentiation between them: Seiran went for speed, while Ringo goes for power.
gn_enbu_ss056.pnggn_enbu_ss057.png
She makes a good test subject for NoBadTactics' new skill.
Next up is a Defence Seiran, who has a whole lot of type weaknesses, some of which NoBadTactics covers.
gn_enbu_ss060.pnggn_enbu_ss061.pnggn_enbu_ss062.png
Last up is a Defence Ringo. She has a weakness to Dark and thus could easily have eaten a Dark Sphere, but I decide to give the fight to Godhotline instead. It turns out that she doesn't exactly have a great moveset for the job: she's got two Steel-type moves and both have just 60 power against a cost 90 Puppet like Ringo. She really suffers against weaker opponents.
gn_enbu_ss064.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngIt was over 9 000 all along, pal.
gn_enbu_ss065.pnggn_enbu_ss066.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNot a very well-kept one.
gn_enbu_ss068.png
Both already knowing and having defeated Seiran, MC-kun decides that he's done all he can. Unfortunately, it seems that the rabbits aren't yet ready to purify the earth, nor do they want his help to do so. The cleansing of the ghouls will have to wait.
Indeed, that concludes MC-kun's business at the Moriya Shrine. One nap in Sanae's bed later and he's back to the wild slopes of Youkai Mountain proper.
gn_enbu_ss069.png
With a snap of MC-kun's fingers, the one of the two rocks blocking the path disintegrates.
gn_enbu_ss070.pnggn_enbu_ss071.png
A short distance down the once-blocked path, MC-kun is stopped by a security tengu.
gn_enbu_ss072.pnggn_enbu_ss073.png
In a step down from the shrine, we're back to seeing unstyled Puppets. Godhotline effortlessly cleaves through a pair of Momiji.
gn_enbu_ss074.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNothing personnel, kid. I just happen to believe that there is (almost) no such thing as bad tactics, only bad targets.
gn_enbu_ss076.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngNo.
gn_enbu_ss077.png
gn_enbu_ss078.pnggn_enbu_ss079.pnggn_enbu_ss080.png
It's been a while since we've encountered a Mystia, but this trainer packs three. All, unfortunately for her, are extremely vulnerable to Godhotline.
gn_enbu_ss081.png
She's in no state to care, however.
gn_enbu_ss082.pnggn_enbu_ss083.png
Not everyone has the deepest motivations.
gn_enbu_ss085.pnggn_enbu_ss086.pnggn_enbu_ss087.png
Nor the deepest encounter design, for that matter. Moon Wheat does her best to spice things up and kills each Yamame with a different super-effective move.
gn_enbu_ss089.png
gn_enbu_ss091.png
Further down the mountain is a rare sight. MC-kun wouldn't have the first idea of where to get started with danmaku, so he ignores the tengu altogether and heads on his way.
gn_enbu_ss092.pnggn_enbu_ss093.png
There is a catch to be had on the road. When we first reached the descent, an NPC was looking for a Kasen, so it's probably for the best to snag the definitely-a-human-she-swears.
gn_enbu_ss194.pnggn_enbu_ss195.pnggn_enbu_ss196.png
Doesn't seem terrible, but I don't really have a use case and just grabbed her because she was mentioned as being rare.
gn_enbu_ss094.png
Food is left lying about on the path.
But before MC-kun can return to his spelunking habits, he's accosted by a tengu.
gn_enbu_ss097.pnggn_enbu_ss098.png
Godhotline slices and dices her way through a Momiji, then reminds the cost 110 Aya that her steel moves are only bad against weak Puppets.
Leaving the honest and ethical journalist to do his thing, MC-kun enters the cave.
gn_enbu_ss101.pnggn_enbu_ss102.pnggn_enbu_ss103.png
To MC-kun, who barely pays attention to items, this comes as a revelation.
gn_enbu_ss104.pnggn_enbu_ss105.pnggn_enbu_ss106.png
Unfortunately for her, ToTheMoon cleanly counters her whole team.
gn_enbu_ss108.png
The Superpower Glove would be in tears if it were capable of comprehending MC-kun's feelings (and intentions) toward it.
gn_enbu_ss109.png
This is the sort of cave that branches. MC-kun proceeds to explore, thanking his lucky stars that the devs of this game didn't care to implement Flash.
gn_enbu_ss110.pnggn_enbu_ss111.pnggn_enbu_ss112.png
A rare hard-working tengu.
gn_enbu_ss113.pnggn_enbu_ss114.png
It shows in the fight, too. NoBadTactics easily claws her way through a Kanako, but despite the massive level gap, Suwako buffs her evasion with her ability enough to chip away a fair bit of Godhotline's HP before a hit connects.
gn_enbu_ss115.pnggn_enbu_ss116.pnggn_enbu_ss117.png
Hard-working but not particularly bright.
gn_enbu_ss118.png
Some sake lies beyond.
gn_enbu_ss119.pnggn_enbu_ss120.png
Down the other fork of the path is a cheapskate youkai.
gn_enbu_ss121.png
She guards (or doesn't) a hyper potion that could pay for any number of repels if sold.
This fork terminates with a ghost and a ladder leading deeper.
gn_enbu_ss124.png
The ghost packs a half-ghost, who doesn't hold a candle up to NoBadTactics.
gn_enbu_ss126.png
MC-kun goes where he pleases.
Aya and Hatate bash themselves uselessly against ToTheMoon with priority attacks.
gn_enbu_ss131.png
*sigh*Sonic the Hedgehog he isn't.
There's plenty to be found in the cave, annoying as it might be. 20% extra damage on super-effective moves would be no joke if being super-effective wasn't already almost a guarantee of a kill.
gn_enbu_ss135.pnggn_enbu_ss136.png
MC-kun ain't afraid of no ghost.
gn_enbu_ss137.png
Especially not one which brings only a type to which NoBadTactics is immune.
gn_enbu_ss138.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI'd take yours, obsolescent.
gn_enbu_ss139.pnggn_enbu_ss141.png
Some take to a maze of twisty little passages, all alike, better than others.
Had she explored just a little further to the north, she'd have stumbled upon an interesting novelty item. MC-kun takes it instead.
gn_enbu_ss144.pnggn_enbu_ss145.png
This ghost is very cavalier about the whole situation. He doesn't even attack on sight, only after engaged in dialogue.
gn_enbu_ss146.png
Moon Wheat gets her chance to do some ghost bullying.
gn_enbu_ss147.png
Even the most singsong flattery won't get the ghost anywhere.
gn_enbu_ss149.png
This youkai's voice echoes through the caves, deafeningly.
gn_enbu_ss150.png
The Kyouko puppet is wholly unrepentant, even joining in with an echoing OHAYOU of her own.
gn_enbu_ss151.pnggn_enbu_ss152.png
The spirit has no reason to be so forceful. MC-kun's body is more than big enough to share.
gn_enbu_ss153.png
Using ToTheMoon for most of the game at this point has instilled me with a strong understanding of just how fragile Nue is, even against many things she should counter. This one doesn't even have a style change or the inclination to spam a drain.
gn_enbu_ss154.png
gn_enbu_ss155.png
Nearby is the Sound-type hairpin.
gn_enbu_ss156.png
There's also a ladder upward nearby. Is the cave venture nearly over or is it only getting started?
gn_enbu_ss157.pnggn_enbu_ss158.png
Whatever is happening, a PLF fairy is found down a fairly linear path.
gn_enbu_ss159.pnggn_enbu_ss161.png
Baka, as always, is given the honour of disposing of her imitators. After she misses and takes some chip damage, however, it's time to change to her hidden ability.
gn_enbu_ss160.png
mc-kun_lookright.png:cunningpepe:
gn_enbu_ss162.pnggn_enbu_ss163.png
The linear path continues and soon MC-kun escapes the caves, back to the mountain proper.
gn_enbu_ss164.png
As always, there are things to be found when interacting with random environmental objects.
gn_enbu_ss165.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI've always wanted some recreational nukes. How much are you asking?
gn_enbu_ss166.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngOh.
gn_enbu_ss167.png
NoBadTactics quickly shows that sometimes you can stare down a tank and win.
gn_enbu_ss168.png
gn_enbu_ss169.pnggn_enbu_ss170.png
A little further is the Poison-type hairpin. It also gives MC-kun a display of just how far he travelled: to either side are the cave entrance and exit.
Presumably the PLF are afoot.
gn_enbu_ss173.png
MC-kun is no stranger to getting lost.
gn_enbu_ss174.png
However, it doesn't seem like the kind through which he can brute-force. This screen just loops endlessly, taking you back to the sign immediately if you head east. Presumably there will be a way forward later.
gn_enbu_ss176.png
MC-kun scoffs at the idea of climbing the mountain's descent.
gn_enbu_ss178.png
There are benefits of not caring that everyone wants to eat you. MC-kun catches his breath sharing some mochi with a youkai. A step or two later and the screen pans to a cutscene.
gn_enbu_ss180.png
MC-kun can't quite see what's happening, but he vaguely remembers the large doll that bumped into him a while back.
gn_enbu_ss181.png
The fairies obey.
gn_enbu_ss183.png
Meanwhile, a mysterious co-conspirator. One of the top competitors when it comes to power-level autism and one of the few survivors of the PC-98 era, it would be clear what was going on if MC-kun knew anything about 2hu.
gn_enbu_ss184.pnggn_enbu_ss185.png
Medicine gives her orders as authoritatively as possible, then leaves.
gn_enbu_ss186.png
Yuuka can't resist a verbal snipe before she too makes her departure.
gn_enbu_ss187.pnggn_enbu_ss188.png
As MC-kun approaches the sound of the voices, he's stopped by the fairies. No choice to battle through them; we're on the rails.
gn_enbu_ss189.pnggn_enbu_ss191.png
There are more talkative youkai nearby. This one is particularly convincing.
gn_enbu_ss192.png
The reason for the noncombatants' presence quickly becomes obvious. There's a rest stop nearby.
gn_enbu_ss193.png
Inside, the travelling salesman carries no TMs, but all of the once-per-battle type resistance items.
gn_enbu_ss197.pnggn_enbu_ss198.png
Some fairly inane comments can be found inside.
Another tengu foreshadows what will probably be a future area, He looks like a crow tengu, so he's presumably lying about not having wings and simply won't take us to the castle out of youkai stubbornness. MC-kun resolves to see him exterminated once he's visited the castle in the clouds in the sky, presumably to deal with Seija.
gn_enbu_ss202.png
She's right that it's all beautifully sprited, certainly.
gn_enbu_ss204.png
gn_enbu_ss205.png
With rocks blocking the use of the river as a shortcut, it's eastbound and up towards the abandoned village of Mayohiga.
The area's theme is a slow and sombre arrangement of the 2hu 7 stage 2 theme, as might be expected.
gn_enbu_ss209.pnggn_enbu_ss210.png
MC-kun quickly stumbles onto a confrontation.
gn_enbu_ss211.pnggn_enbu_ss212.png
The two notice and CHEEEEEEEEEN takes the opportunity to make the village someone else's problem.
gn_enbu_ss213.pnggn_enbu_ss215.pnggn_enbu_ss216.png
The fairy isn't pleased, but MC-kun is feeling his fiery Boston blood boiling with pugnacity regardless.
gn_enbu_ss217.pnggn_enbu_ss218.png
ToTheMoon drains Tokiko and Mystia alike.
gn_enbu_ss219.pnggn_enbu_ss221.png
gn_enbu_ss222.png
Chen doesn't interest MC-kun overmuch, so he continues wandering around the village. It's overrun with cats, presumably why the fairies think it belongs to her.
gn_enbu_ss223.pnggn_enbu_ss226.png
There are things to be found in the dilapidated houses.
A Chen to be found in the cupboard to, which I screencapped to showcase the indoors battle background.
gn_enbu_ss227.pnggn_enbu_ss228.png
gn_enbu_ss229.png
A severely-outmatched Kogasa gets drained.
gn_enbu_ss230.png
mc-kun_lookright.pngI can't help feeling peckish. What's a man to do? I only packed a small amount of food for a normal person.
There are goodies to be stolen.
gn_enbu_ss233.png
As well as a surprising encounter; I was convinced until this that the area's whole encounter table was Chen. Ran gets caught, but there's no current use case for her.
gn_enbu_ss271.pnggn_enbu_ss272.pnggn_enbu_ss273.png
Poor IVs and a typing that largely overlaps with what we already have. It's nice to get another cost 120, but she won't be all that useful.
gn_enbu_ss234.png
As luck would have it, I encountered Ran on that very tile, just below a hyper potion.
gn_enbu_ss236.pnggn_enbu_ss237.png
Another abandoned house houses a rare priority -6 move. It doesn't seem all that useful for now, but could presumably wreak havoc against some delicately-tuned compositions.
gn_enbu_ss238.pnggn_enbu_ss239.png
The local fairies are very good at keeping secrets.
gn_enbu_ss240.pnggn_enbu_ss241.pnggn_enbu_ss242.png
ToTheMoon proves an admirable fairy exterminator.
gn_enbu_ss243.png
MC-kun hasn't seen any signs of building so far. They might have their lair destroyed before they've even started - probably before they've even resolved their property rights dispute.
It's time for a fight with a sunflower fairy.
We see a bit more variety this time, as NoBadTactics and Godhotline score their one-hits.
For once, the NPC calling for retreat or disappearance actually does it.
gn_enbu_ss250.pnggn_enbu_ss251.png
Far out in the tall grass, a symbol of faith. With that found, all that seemingly remains is to talk to Chen.
gn_enbu_ss254.pnggn_enbu_ss255.png
Apparently Chen was warned of MC-kun's coming.
gn_enbu_ss256.pnggn_enbu_ss257.png
gn_enbu_ss259.pnggn_enbu_ss261.png
A brief tutorial later and we have this game's Fly.
gn_enbu_ss262.png
Apparently even an AI is capable of being sarcastic in the face of MC-kun's silence.
gn_enbu_ss263.png
gn_enbu_ss266.png
Inside, Chen has some cats, but no new dialogue.
gn_enbu_ss267.pnggn_enbu_ss268.png
After all this time, we finally have access to a map, complete with access to metaphysical areas. This should speed things up considerably.
gn_enbu_ss269.pnggn_enbu_ss270.png
Using the map has about the animation you'd expect, if you're at all familiar with the gaphag.
With an important milestone reached and the world opening up more than ever before as well as this update approaching 300 images, we'll cut this short here.
Edit: Forgot a LN title.

Last edited: