Disaster Tower crane collapses in downtown Seattle - 4 dead 3 injured - Rapid Self-Disassembly feature requires more testing

1Tonka_Truck

Loaded Like A Boxcar Moving Like A Racecar
kiwifarms.net
Four people were killed after a crane collapsed Saturday afternoon, falling onto traffic in downtown Seattle.

The Seattle Fire Department said the four people were dead before the first firefighters arrived at the scene. Two of the people killed were working on the crane and the other two were inside vehicles crushed by the crane.

Emergency crews responded to the scene at Mercer Street and Fairview Avenue around 3:30 p.m. All westbound and eastbound lanes were closed indefinitely.

The Seattle Department of Transportation said Mercer Street would remain closed until Sunday between Fairview Ave N and 9th Avenue N.

Three people were transported to a nearby hospital with injuries, including a mother and her young child, said Seattle Fire Chief Harold Scoggins.

Several people told KING 5 that they witnessed crews working to dismantle the crane earlier in the day.

Officials have not provided any details that could point to a cause of the crash.

The National Weather Service said two observation sites near the crane site recorded wind gusts between 18 and 23 miles per hour. "Would not consider these strong wind gusts," the NWS tweeted.

The crane fell across a building undergoing construction along Mercer Street.

The cab of the crane fell onto all lanes of traffic below, trapping several cars underneath.

Mayor Jenny Durkan tweeted, "My thoughts and prayers are with those killed and injured."
https://www.king5.com/article/news/4-people-killed-after-crane-collapses-in-downtown-seattle/281-a09a8074-0e42-43bd-bce3-85c52781b844

Sounds like some poor bastard rode the cab/mast down to the street. It's possible they were disassembling the tower crane when it failed. That would explain the second crane on site. Although, the tower failed well below the mast and the mobile crane seems to be working on the western building.

Recent overhead of the construction showing a complete tower crane on the western building and the now collapsed crane partially built.

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
I was down there for a work related training thing and normally would of been walking in the area at that time if I didn't leave a half hour early for a family thing.

Because of the bizarre weather we had yesterday (rain, sun, rain, sun), I thought the loud explosion sound was a close lightning strike. Wasn't until walking on the ramp up to Capitol Hill I realized what happened.

1Tonka_Truck

kiwifarms.net
Seattle’s construction frenzy turned deadly Saturday afternoon when a tower crane working on a new Google campus fell like a thunderbolt from the roof of a South Lake Union building, smashing into six cars and killing four people.

Two ironworkers who were in the crane and two people in separate cars were dead by the time Seattle firefighters got to the site at Fairview Avenue North and Mercer Street around 3:30 p.m., fire officials said. Four others were injured.

Three of them — a 25-year-old woman and her 4-month-old daughter, and a 27-year-old man — were taken to Harborview Medical Center. Remarkably, none of them suffered life-threatening injuries, said hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg. The fourth victim was treated by medics at the scene. The mother and the baby were discharged late Saturday.

The state Department of Labor and Industries is investigating the cause of the accident, which was not known Saturday night. Several witnesses and the National Weather Service reported a storm squall with powerful gusting winds moved through the area at the time the crane was being dismantled, then toppled.

“It was terrifying,” said Esther Nelson, a biotech research assistant who was working in a building nearby and saw the crane fall from a break-room window.

“I looked up. The wind was blowing really strong,” she recalled. She saw boats struggling on Lake Union. Then the crane — she estimated it was maybe eight or nine stories high — broke in half.

“Half of it was flying down sideways on the building,” she said. “The other half fell down on the street, crossing both lanes of traffic.”

It was the first fatal tower crane collapse in more than a dozen years in the Seattle area, during a period of remarkable growth with skyscrapers sprouting up and cranes dotting the skyline. Much of that construction explosion has occurred in the South Lake Union neighborhood.

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office said it would not release the names of the fatalities — three men and a woman — until Monday.

Seattle activated its emergency operations center Saturday afternoon to coordinate the response. Police interviewed witnesses at the nearby Even Hotel.

“This is a tragic day in Seattle with this catastrophic incident in the heart of our city,” Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan said in a statement. “My heart breaks for those who lost loved ones today, and we are praying for strength for those injured.”

Among them were Deyan Cashmere, 20, of Australia, who was in Seattle for cancer treatment. . He was with his father, Eric, 48, and the pair of them had noticed hours before the collapse that the crane was being dismantled. To him, it appeared to be leaning.

“I thought it was going to fall,” Deyan Cashmere said. “It was at an angle. It wasn’t standing upright.”

Eric “Bruce” Cashmere and Deyan Cashmere were concerned that a crane in South Lake Union was leaning heavily and made this time lapse of it disconnecting from another crane. Later, the crane fell onto Mercer Ave. (Courtesy of Eric “Bruce” Cashmere)
His father took a time-lapse video of the crane. About five minutes later, they heard a loud bang.

“We got up and said, ‘That’s the crane,'” Deyan Cashmere said.

Both he and his father have worked with cranes and machinery in Australia, and said they recognized right away the crane’s weight was not properly distributed. Police took the images from Eric Cashmere’s phone and interviewed the pair.

Corina Berriel, 27, was driving west on Mercer when the crane started falling and hit a black Nissan right behind her.

“The first thing I felt was a jolt from behind,” she said. “It almost felt like an earthquake.” She saw dust and debris falling from the sky. She thought she was about to die.

When she looked in her rearview mirror, she watched a portion of the bright yellow tower hit the car behind her. The vehicle’s rear windows and trunk were crushed but the vehicle was able to move when traffic sped up. Berriel said a woman got out of the car and ran away.

Berriel also saw a couple walking their dog flee the scene, the dog in their arms as they ran. She could see them shaking.

The bright-yellow portion of the crane that crashed to the street landed almost squarely on top of an Audi, virtually cutting the vehicle in half. That car’s occupants were the woman and child.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/fallen-crane-kills-four-in-south-lake-union-it-was-terrifying/

The mast had already been disassembled and 2 ironworkers were preparing the cab for removal when the crane collapsed. A couple of Aussie's noticed the crane leaning and took a timelapse a few minutes before the failure. I didn't see the tower move any in the timelapse, but it sure looks like it's leaning.

I don't know much about cranes, but the first section of jib on the mobile crane looks weird before and after the tower crane went down.

1Tonka_Truck

kiwifarms.net
AvE put up a video on the crane collapse. Apparently there is dashcam footage of the crane going over on LiveLeak. He do some analysis of still from that and various other videos.

I'm on my phone at a cookout and would appreciate it if someone could find the dashcam. I'm back home and found it, looks like @cuddle striker beat me too it. Thanks.

Last edited:
The dumb fuckers working on disassembly removed all the fucking pins on the way up to be lazy bastards and literally let it swing in the breeze? That's what seems to be the case from the AvE video. Isn't the process of disassembling the crane supposed to be: attach helper crane to the section to be removed, removing the pins, then lifting the now disconnected section away?

How about fuck that safe slow and steady nonsense, let's just knock out all the pins holding every section firmly in place! Honestly I'm surprised they were able to get all the way up to disconnecting the cab before the wages of hubris hit them. The lazy overpaid idiots are the only ones in this situation who deserved to die.

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
Probably a woman and/or pee-oh-cee.
Nah, it sounds like it was a much more pedestrian case of workers sacrificing safety for expediency: https://www.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/biipx4/dashcam_video_of_seattle_crane_collapse/em1644r/

Basically the guy in that thread claims to be a crane operator and said that because of the wobbling beforehand, and the way the crane ultimately broke, he guesses they took out all the non-structural pins holding several segments of the crane together instead of dismantling one segment at a time to speed things up. The pins are apparently solid steel footlong subs, so they wouldn't be able to shear in such a fashion as to break in that way.

Nah, it sounds like it was a much more pedestrian case of workers sacrificing safety for expediency: https://www.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/biipx4/dashcam_video_of_seattle_crane_collapse/em1644r/

Basically the guy in that thread claims to be a crane operator and said that because of the wobbling beforehand, and the way the crane ultimately broke, he guesses they took out all the non-structural pins holding several segments of the crane together instead of dismantling one segment at a time to speed things up. The pins are apparently solid steel footlong subs, so they wouldn't be able to shear in such a fashion as to break in that way.
The AvE video above makes a good case for the same based off of the dashcam footage of an approaching motorist and the photos of the scene after the fact. I am convinced that this is exactly what happened. People need to go to jail for this. I am certain this isn't the first time this company risked people's lives in this fashion. It's just this time there happened to be 25mph winds.

@1Tonka_Truck made an oddly prescient subtitle for this thread:

Rapid Self-Disassembly feature requires more testing

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
dashcam without commentary

on my way out today I went by, one side of the building is cracked up some the others are fine. the street is clear. not much to see, they did a good job getting it out of there fast.

If you've ever worked construction you know, you do what your idiot boss tells you to do. this one names the companies being investigated.

this was invented and built by a Hans.

Last edited:

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
Probably a woman and/or pee-oh-cee.
This was a hoax and everyone who believes it is dumb as pigshit. It's easy to find out who actually build the fucking bridge.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino