Toyhou.se / Toyhouse Community - The DeviantArt Diaspora and Its Refugees -- Honeypot Thread for Speds

Mountain Dew

I own slaves
kiwifarms.net
EDIT: TOYHOU.SE CHARACTERS CAN BE HIDDEN/DELETED AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE. IF YOU'RE GOING TO POST SOMEONE'S CHARACTER IN THIS THREAD, AT LEAST TRY TO ARCHIVE OR SCREENSHOT.

With the release of DeviantArt Eclipse, ‘do not steal’ autists everywhere are flocking to new bases of operation in order to avoid navigating dA’s horrible redesign. While a lot of people have moved to inkbunny, Amino, or Twitter, the vast majority of younger users have flocked to a seemingly forever invite-only site: Toyhou.se

Toyhou.se (or just Toyhouse) allows a user to make and store original characters they create. It has custom HTML and CSS support as well (which allows users to make their character’s page look like an eyesore straight from the Angelfire days) and allows people to to link characters, create ‘worlds’ for roleplaying in, and allows people to buy and sell their characters using trade listings.

As of right now, the moderation team has little-to-no presence on the site. The forums are basically a wild west where spam is rampant and tickets take ages to respond to. That, coupled with the increasing presence of kids, has made the site’s userbase a cow in itself.

While there are communities/cows that often have Toyhouse accounts themselves, the exceptional nature of the site should not be overlooked. There’s a ton of drama. Enough for an Anonymous slapfighting Tumblr blog, but frequently the closed species drama blogs have Toyhouse-based problems as well. (Archive) (Archive) (Archive) Sadly, a lot of the drama isn't front-and-center and often is drip fed through these blogs when the moderators decide to post asks.

While there is a lot of ‘original character’ exceptionalism in quite a few threads here, what’s not to love about more? Meet... Aviva... who was trafficked into sexual slavery for the Splatoon universe.

1597162404962.png

Why does she have such an edgy, angst-filled backstory? Because she is literally just Callie from Splatoon. (Archive)

1597162471413.png

Toyhouse has this issue chronically. There’s been a new trend in character creation lately: Just ripping characters that already exist, changing two things about them, and calling them a ‘kinsona.’ It has become so bad that the website actually had to change their policy on characters in the same vein... leading to gems like this. (Archive)

1597163395176.png

1597163418652.png

1597163459106.png
Tl;dr: Mentally ill Boku No Hero Academia fan says to stop poking fun at people who rip off published media characters, citing their mental illness as a shield for any criticism.

While the comments had a bit of sense, they simply just doubled-down on their behavior.
1597163524998.png

This post itself is sort of old news in the TH world, but it's not like 'kinsonas' have gone away in the slightest. Just search up the tag and you can find pages and pages of canonized characters with just a few tweaks... or turned into a dog...

1597163617313.png
1597163627781.png
1597163653031.png
1597163666519.png
1597163724602.png

Hell, you can even find characters ripped off from Hamilton, of all things. (Archive)

1597163741061.png

Following this sort of stuff, a lot of these profiles have what’s called a ‘profile warning.’ It’s meant to warn users about darker themes or content that should be avoided if they’re under 18. A lot of users, however, use it as a platform for saying ‘do not steal!!’

1597163808243.png

1597163875627.png

1597163884661.png

1597163899717.png

These profiles were all found on kinsonas or legitimate traced characters of some sort. Rules for thee, not for me.

Can’t find the creative energy to make your own character? Can’t rip off another character either? Good thing people are selling adoptables! It’s not like adoptables are a new concept in terms of virtual pet websites-- but because there’s no on-site currency for Toyhouse, you’ll mostly see them going for actual USD.

1597163987095.png

1597164031188.png

1597164088391.png

None of these are worth the money they're asking for. If you don't like original ideas, however, you can take a look at existing IP adoptables:

1597164107989.png

Or... this... for 400 dollars... (Archive)

1597164483978.png

There’s also other bizarre oddities, like people who horde designs. This person is a good example, they have over 700 characters or so-- the bulk of them being Lion King traces. (Archive) (Archive of Profile Stats)

1597164535761.png

Of course, the forums are a treat too. Most of it is spam trying to achieve Toyhouse clout (aka ‘Favorites’ on certain characters) and it is just spam because of the moderator’s presence being nil. Some of the subforums are decent or have their own run-of-the-mill art site drama. (Owed art not being fulfilled, forum games being killed by artists, stolen characters, et cetera.) But there’s an off topic board called ‘Vent Board’ that has some... wacky stuff.

Here’s a sampling of some lunacy:
1597164712354.png

1597164730726.png

1597164748206.png

1597164755699.png

While there is more exceptional stuff on the site, Toyhouse is relatively decentralized compared to its predecessor. It's hard to 'seek out' things, because the keyword search function is pretty much garbage. Being invite-only doesn't help either. However, I felt like that this was a good start and the community was long overdue for a thread of some sort-- especially for once it is easily accessible to people don't have a key.

Whoops...? (Archive)

1597165046959.png

Last edited:

Rabbits

wake up. shit. get out of bed.
kiwifarms.net
yeah literally every artist i follow who has a toyhou.se account is very "uwu masochistic pedo autist" and i hate it. always fucking using some furry base uploaded onto deviantart in 2006 or mirroring the image because they can't draw the other side of a face.

Lil' Misogynist

Uh oh, looks like someone needs to go in the water
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even back when I posted art on the internet I never bothered to ask anyone for a Toyhouse invite, so I never got to see what kind of stuff happens there. Guess I wasn't missing out, thanks for compiling all this. Is it seriously still invite-only? I swear so many people were treating it like the big new thing for artists and roleplayers back in 2015. Sad to see that the culture is basically no different from furry Deviantart.

Dorami

✿ Bat Season. ✿
kiwifarms.net
Guess our dear Tearzah (and her over 400 characters) deserves a special mention in this thread. That and @unknownvariable 's amazing work!
Hello!

Thought I may post updates as I work on this dreadful thing.

Took me a while, but I've categorized all the tags into groups: Mental Disorders, Sexual Preference, Places, Race & Culture, and finally what I'm going to be calling Pinterest Aesthetics, which includes the tags "ecult, lovecore, incel, etc" simply because it denotes online culture or slang.

All the tags put together, there is a total of 145 tags. And just because it makes me smile, there is a misspelled tag. Her race of beings, Doppelgängers, has two tags: the original, and the botch. Currently I'm not sure what is making me laugh more; the fact there even exists a typo version of the tag, or that Tearzah has refused to correct it, and even lists more OCs using the flunked tag. Then again, this is Tearzah, so I really shouldn't be shocked at the lack of quality control these days.

The next interesting step I must take is listing all 443 OCs. Some of those who pay attention to Tearzah's statistics page may be confused as to why it is not the listed 458. Bare with me, as some mild math is required. There are five Reference "characters" for Tearzah's story elements, one Persona, and one Bugsona. Along with those, there is also one OC that is currently labeled as Up For Sale. Every single one of Tearzah's OCs have the Not For Sale tag, hence for why it's the first listed tag on their ToyHouse. As such, those labeled with the mentioned tags will not be entered into the spreadsheet simply for avoiding future confusion.

I've created a new google account so that this information may be preserved, under a false name and information for simplicity. All of my findings shall be listed in a google doc that I will publish alongside the spreadsheet if I have enough interesting data to share on my own.

Sorry for the splerg. These were the interesting notes that I had for now. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I got ahead of myself; The important relevance of the 458 number means there are about 15 characters that are not public knowledge on their ToyHouse. They're likely hidden under an authorized only listing, or one of the other options. I'm collecting my data whilst logged into an account, and I have yet to see any "Logged In Users Only" listed OCs. Sorry again!

Sergeant Politeness

Pitiful, laughable, once again silent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How does the invite system work? If one user here got an account, could they distribute invites to the rest of us or is there some kind of limit?
Invites just kind of happen at random, mostly for premium accounts. I've never gotten an invite code. It's not noted anywhere obvious because toyhou.se has horrendous documentation, but in the user settings:

toyhou.se settings said:
Toyhouse is currently in invite alpha - invite codes will be regularly generated for testers whenever we feel like the site's ready for more users, but premium users will also get an additional 2 invite codes a week. This number may change in the future, depending on how we feel about the site's growth.

This thread has been a long time coming in all honesty. The adopt community is huge on there, so a lot of people post hideous designs without names sometimes, just prices. I have no clue why anyone would bother with them. When there is a bio, it's usually just a sexuality and a ton of lorem ipsum text where they got one of those shitty layouts and didn't bother to fill it in.

I have friends who regularly find insane shit on there, so I went digging back through DMs and here's a few favorites:
https://toyhou.se/6911472.nori (archive)
22492283_efzCl5MzvgCfSiv.png

This is the usual sorta thing you see on toyhou.se, lots of vaguely cat adopts. For whatever reason, people add this "worth" bit to their characters, even if they're not for sale. (And selling characters is fucking dumb anyway.) Apparently this thing is worth $2.

https://toyhou.se/1443464.jaden (archive)
11702692_1PSZ4yIhT.jpg

This is the other kinda profile I see a lot, people just going bugfuck with the custom CSS. toyhou.se's layout is already bad enough without this extra shit on top of it. This is a genderfluid pansexual dog...king? That loves music and is very very anxious. I'm just gonna paste the bio in full here:
toyhou.se bio said:
Jaden is a little anxious baby. He can be very shy at times, but is rather very passionate when you get to know him better. Finding baking to be fun and calming, Jay uses this as an way of relaxing. He can be very creative and uses his imagination as a way to escape reality. He often acts like he is a king in his own little world, which is why he can be seen wearing a crown gifted to him from his birth mother. Jaden is an edgy and independent person. He sticks to being alone and gets lost in the crowd. He finds it hard to make friends due to his anxiety and him being bipolar. He seeks a method to control his feelings and actions so he sticks to what he knows. He refuses to learn something new since he fears that something bad could happen. He hates how he distances himself from his only friends, but he can't help it. His brother's rude remarks do not help one bit as Jaden usually looks up to Kaiden.

Also you get a good idea of how toyhou.se people watermark absolutely everything, sometimes to the point of not being able to make out the art itself.

https://toyhou.se/6890533.lucky (archive)
"My active fursona. Pronouns are He/Him."
22430352_tpx7lIqG81QCehO.png

I still have no clue what the fuck I'm looking at.

https://toyhou.se/6830439.aspen (archive)
22258300_dN0sk33Ac.png

I like this one because it's literally just an orange Leafeon donut steel. Again with the watermarks.

https://toyhou.se/5822208.honda (archive)

This thing just looks like it should be in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Sme of the art in this gallery is just 15 second MS Paint scribbles.

https://toyhou.se/6170513.jennie-marbles (archive)
20326924_ai0Dp96WXeGKnka.png

This one I don't have a comment for.

It sucks because I genuinely do like toyhou.se's functionality. You can get really granular with how you sort characters and art, you can link characters together and also sort them into worlds that can then have their own pages on locations and the like, layouts are pretty easy to build provided you know a bit about Bootstrap (and hell, custom HTML support anyway is a big plus anyway in my book), and the literature function is far and ahead better than anything DeviantART has. If you're actually using it for characters for stories, I can't think of much that's better for it. Of course no one ever uses it for that.

I should mention that a lot of the links I wanted to add to this post are now invalid (the person deleted the character), so it might be worth archiving everything you find.

Lolcow Imperium

Defend Artsakh
kiwifarms.net
Invites just kind of happen at random, mostly for premium accounts. I've never gotten an invite code. It's not noted anywhere obvious because toyhou.se has horrendous documentation, but in the user settings:

This thread has been a long time coming in all honesty. The adopt community is huge on there, so a lot of people post hideous designs without names sometimes, just prices. I have no clue why anyone would bother with them. When there is a bio, it's usually just a sexuality and a ton of lorem ipsum text where they got one of those shitty layouts and didn't bother to fill it in.

I have friends who regularly find insane shit on there, so I went digging back through DMs and here's a few favorites:
View attachment 1512549
This is the usual sorta thing you see on toyhou.se, lots of vaguely cat adopts. For whatever reason, people add this "worth" bit to their characters, even if they're not for sale. (And selling characters is fucking dumb anyway.) Apparently this thing is worth $2.

View attachment 1512550
This is the other kinda profile I see a lot, people just going bugfuck with the custom CSS. toyhou.se's layout is already bad enough without this extra shit on top of it. This is a genderfluid pansexual dog...king? That loves music and is very very anxious. I'm just gonna paste the bio in full here:

Also you get a good idea of how toyhou.se people watermark absolutely everything, sometimes to the point of not being able to make out the art itself.

View attachment 1512551

View attachment 1512552
I like this one because it's literally just an orange Leafeon donut steel. Again with the watermarks.

This thing just looks like it should be in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Sme of the art in this gallery is just 15 second MS Paint scribbles.

View attachment 1512555

It sucks because I genuinely do like toyhou.se's functionality. You can get really granular with how you sort characters and art, you can link characters together and also sort them into worlds that can then have their own pages on locations and the like, layouts are pretty easy to build provided you know a bit about Bootstrap (and hell, custom HTML support anyway is a big plus anyway in my book), and the literature function is far and ahead better than anything DeviantART has. If you're actually using it for characters for stories, I can't think of much that's better for it. Of course no one ever uses it for that.

I should mention that a lot of the links I wanted to add to this post are now invalid (the person deleted the character), so it might be worth archiving everything you find.
That last image is so fucking cursed.

bowow

pink dog supremacist
kiwifarms.net
The thing i heard about the search system and why its so shitty is that letting anybody use it puts too much strain on the servers, so only paid users can a version that actually works, other character focused art sites also seem to have this issue: EX Artfight, but wihout the justification.
22492283_efzCl5MzvgCfSiv.png

11702692_1PSZ4yIhT.jpg

22430352_tpx7lIqG81QCehO.png

22258300_dN0sk33Ac.png

20326924_ai0Dp96WXeGKnka.png

There seems to be 2 main art styles in that site first we have "lumpy furries that look like bad clay statues" and then we have "anime animals ( usually dogs/wolves/cats ), both of them give off either rushed or vaguely zoophilic vibes.
There is also something discussed quite a lot in the forums, many people don't have much coding experience and end up fucking the code so hard their pages become unacessible to visitors. I don't visit the forums at all so i have no screencaps, will go hunting later.

Last edited:

DrainRedRain

Scary Skeleton Goonies!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Toyhouse is just another place to dump those horrifying ''cat/dog/fox recolors'' and ugly adoptables. The culture around OCs changed very little, so it is always the same autistic retarded shit over and over with the only difference being the url.

Nice thread tho, as in Deviantart, I like to go over there and laugh at the sheer metal illness.

RejectedLynx

kiwifarms.net
I was given a code way back when by a passing weirdo who I was in a server with. Toyhouse is genuinely autism condensed. Most of it's furry/sonas. I'll try to grab some absolutely awful ones. Most of them are rainbow puke - even if the line art is competently done.

Some of the profiles are really bad though. I think I clicked on one that has a red background and yellow text and I have vietnam flashbacks from this god awful coding. It's like neopets all over again.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net
I will be very surprised if it ever stops being invite only. It's been that way for ages.

Toyhou.se has a really shitty feature of 'connecting' accounts so you can see who used your code and they can see who gave them that code. So imo Kiwis don't accept a code from someone on here and put up info about yourself, you'll be directly connected.

The community IS nonsense. There's so many characters that are don't copy or steal or don't color pick and the character itself is so generic it's painful. Like Miorjah whose all about 'don't steal my generic ass characters' and gives them incredibly trope based stories as well. Then you've got people like SinfulWhispers who says don't replicate my characters when quite a few of their's are very similar to NsfwZhenya

Also furries. So. Many. Goddamn. Furries.