• ”Jesus heavens. I wake up to find Phil Harel is dead...”
  1. New Rule: If you declare your post is against the rules, it will be deleted.

Trump Blocks Broadcom Takeover of Qualcomm on Security RisksHostile takeover blocked by Executive Order

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by neural, Mar 13, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made. One-word replies are automatic 1-month bans from this board.
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.

@Lipitor

1. Trump Blocks Broadcom Takeover of Qualcomm on Security Risks
    By David McLaughlin
    March 13, 2018
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lock-broadcom-s-takeover-of-qualcomm-jeoszwnt

I don't know how much this fits into the usual A&H fare, but I felt that this is quite the interesting piece of news, given that Qualcomm components are in nearly every smartphone out there.

It's also interesting to me that Trump blocked this takeover with what could be very unusual means too. Isn't it usually the SEC that blocks takeovers/mergers?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 3
    neural

neural rambunscious boy
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. It sucks for Broadcom, especially after the concession of moving their headquarters (back) to the U.S. from Singapore, which itself was an Obama era tax inversion. Intel is actually considering buying Broadcom anyway, which would be a win-win for us.

• Informative Informative x 2
    CWCchange

CWCchange ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ

kiwifarms.net
  3. Not the first time this has happened, Dubya nixed the sale of a domestic Port Authority (was it New York? I can't remember and am too lazy to google) to a group of foreign investors from overseas for similar reasons back in the 00's, (again, from memory, it was some India-Singapore outfit that was a shell company from the British colonial days that was now just another likely corrupt pan-Asian group) If the Pres can show a reasonable threat to national security (they could have, in theory, shut down that specific port and crippled US business requiring military force to open it again) I think he can at least temporarily prohibit these deals under Federal Commerce Regulation authority. Now, they may not survive a legal challenge, but it never gets that far. Once these deals get exposed to the light, the capital backing them collapses under scrutiny/pressure and isn't there by the time it theoretically could win in court.

• Informative Informative x 10
    TowinKarz

TowinKarz Actually WILL Call Somebody.....

kiwifarms.net
  4. I'm not usually a protectionist, but the electronics and software industries are quite sensitive due to the potential for rootkita and things like that, so I generally support making sure that businesses like this are kept in the hands of the USA and our allies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Splendid Meat Sticks

Splendid Meat Sticks Castigat ridendo mores
    True & Honest Fan Lolcow TV Captain

kiwifarms.net
  5. So much for capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    tarni

tarni rhineland conqueror

kiwifarms.net
  6. NSA just would be upset someone snoops more efficiently than them and threw a tantrum.

• Like Like x 2
    Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  7. There's capitalism and then there's giving away the keys to the kingdom to hostile foreigners.

• Agree Agree x 7
    AnOminous

AnOminous life of the mind
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  8. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the free-market-evangelists

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    tarni

tarni rhineland conqueror

kiwifarms.net
  9. Trump has always been something of a protectionist, but usually for economic and not national security reasons.

AnOminous

AnOminous life of the mind
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  10. I can't think of anyone short of ancaps who don't admit that things like protecting national security are important and can require government action like this. Sure, some people may disagree with this particular action, but very few would disagree with the general principle that it's based on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Splendid Meat Sticks

Splendid Meat Sticks Castigat ridendo mores
    True & Honest Fan Lolcow TV Captain

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.