Trump Issues Executive Order Banning Purchase of Technology Posing National Security Risk - Basically it's paving the way to ban Huawei

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
de2e14e1f53d6bd56211431a303ce19f.png

President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday banning the purchase or use of technology that poses a national security risk. The order did not specifically mention any countries or companies, but it would especially affect the Chinese telecommunications company Huawei.

"This Executive Order declares a national emergency with respect to the threats against information and communications technology and services in the United States and delegates authority to the Secretary of Commerce to prohibit transactions posing an unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States or the security and safety of United States persons," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. The order lands amid intensifying concern among U.S. intelligence about the vulnerability of networks that rely on Huawei components.

The U.S. government fears that technology developed by Huawei could be used by the Chinese government to spy. Huawei's founder and president, Ren Zhengfei, denied the allegations in an interview with "CBS This Morning" in February.

"We never participate in espionage and we do not allow any of our employees to do any act like that," he said. "And we absolutely never install backdoors. Even if we were required by Chinese law, we would firmly reject that.".

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Wednesday that the United States had been "abusing its national power" to "deliberately smear" Chinese companies, according to Reuters.

"This is not honorable, nor is it just," Geng said.

Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou, who is under house arrest in Canada after being detained in December, is still facing extradition to the U.S. on charges of bank and wire fraud and conspiracy.

The executive order comes at a tense time for China and the U.S., as the two countries are engaged in an escalating trade conflict. Mr. Trump boosted U.S. tariffs to 25 percent on $200 billion of imported Chinese goods. As promised, China on Monday struck back, vowing to raise its tariffs on $60 billion in U.S. goods from coffee to batteries to spinach, effective June 1.
Full Article | Archive | Executive Order

I love watching China take a boot to the face. The gist of this EO is basically just to flat-out ban Huawei from the U.S. later down the road, because that entire company is such a clusterfuck that's tangled like a Gordian Knot around the Chinese government that it's difficult to tell where one stops and the other begins.

BONE_Buddy

Deep Penetrator
kiwifarms.net
Huawei BTFO!

In all seriousness American Communication companies were exceptional with their money and didn't invest very heavily into 5G networks. Huawei and the Chinese government did.

If AT&T took the money ($85 Billion) that they used to buy Time Warner, and instead invested it into 5G, they would be rolling in so much cash they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
"We NEVER participate in ESPIONAGE and WE DO NOT allow any of our employees to do any act like that," he said. "And we absolutely NEVER install backdoors. Even if we were required by Chinese law, we would firmly reject that.".
:story: :story: :story:

Fucking A yes. I'm voting for him again. Telling the NZ freespeech limiting agreement supporters to fuck off, investigating big tech, taxing the fuck out of China, (Donnie, just do the fucking embargo already.) and telling the strongarm Chinese tech industry we won't take their shit anymore.

Can't wait to see the second term and what will be done. Exciting times.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Huawei sounds like a knockoff Samsung brand anyway.

One question I have is wasn't the last president criticized for using executive orders? How do they work anyway?
A bit hazy but I think the general idea is that anything that the Executive can claim is their business can fall under the purview of an EO. The rise of EO use is almost certainly connected in part to the Legislative's steady cession of power to the Executive over the years, apparently because they're lazy and because it can be an end-run around the usual checks in place inside the Legislative. I think EOs can be countermanded somehow via the Judicial but I'm hazy and my civics-related classes were literally decades ago.

Overuse of EOs is kind of crappy. It's also not going away any time soon, I think. There were others before him who toyed with it but Obama really opened the gates on this and I don't think the Dems realized what sort of precedent they were setting by not tugging on his leash harder. There's always been this "This will never come back to haunt us, we'll be in power and this genie will always grant our wishes and ours only" vibe coming from them and it's one of the reasons they've made such a ruckus about being forced to die on their own swords a lot lately.

• Agree
Reactions: spiritofamermaid
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino