Trump Issues Executive Order Banning Purchase of Technology Posing National Security Risk - Basically it's paving the way to ban Huawei

crocodilian

K. K. K. Rool
kiwifarms.net
Even if we were required by Chinese law, we would firmly reject that.".
We know you'd either accept that or disappear, Mr. Zhengfei.

The idea of the president (any president) signing an EO forbidding me from purchasing something for nebulous "national security" reasons (because those have never been used to fuck with our rights before!) makes me deeply suspicious, please explain why I should be happy about this because it's Trump owning the libschinks?
Because everything Trump's talking about actually happened.

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The idea of the president (any president) signing an EO forbidding me from purchasing something for nebulous "national security" reasons (because those have never been used to fuck with our rights before!) makes me deeply suspicious, please explain why I should be happy about this because it's Trump owning the libschinks?
Yeah, if you're not familiar with what Huawei does and who calls the shots in that company, I'd recommend bunkering down and doing some reading because I'm not even sure where to start with them. Think of it like this, though: An unbelievable number of major U.S. companies, the U.S. military and branches of our government wound up purchasing products from Huawei, and Huawei is basically just the Chinese Communist Party's tech division. Does it seem like a particularly good idea to have vital parts of our nation's digital infrastructure leaning up against a hostile, foreign government's tech company, especially one that's been known to do shifty shit?

I'd love to ramble about it in excruciating detail but I'd need the next fifteen pages of this thread to even get started. Huawei's not a great company to do business with if you value your country's economy and security.

ProgKing of the North

Close to the edge, just by the Riverlands
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, if you're not familiar with what Huawei does and who calls the shots in that company, I'd recommend bunkering down and doing some reading because I'm not even sure where to start with them. Think of it like this, though: An unbelievable number of major U.S. companies, the U.S. military and branches of our government wound up purchasing products from Huawei, and Huawei is basically just the Chinese Communist Party's tech division. Does it seem like a particularly good idea to have vital parts of our nation's digital infrastructure leaning up against a hostile, foreign government's tech company, especially one that's been known to do shifty shit?

I'd love to ramble about it in excruciating detail but I'd need the next fifteen pages of this thread to even get started. Huawei's not a great company to do business with if you value your country's economy and security.
Fair enough, but this still sounds like a precedent that isn't all that different from "we only need to ban the bad guns!"

I don't like the fact that it's an arm of the Chinese Communist Party's tech division, but if I think the Chinese Communist Party makes the best product I want for my own personal use, I should be allowed to purchase it (even if that would be really, really stupid).

Dunkirk

My other car is a STUG
kiwifarms.net
Fair enough, but this still sounds like a precedent that isn't all that different from "we only need to ban the bad guns!"

I don't like the fact that it's an arm of the Chinese Communist Party's tech division, but if I think the Chinese Communist Party makes the best product I want for my own personal use, I should be allowed to purchase it (even if that would be really, really stupid).
I think a main reason that this is a blanket ban and not just a ban for the US government is because you just know that some motherfucker is gonna be dumb enough to put classified stuff on their own personal stuff carelessly, and there is a non-zero chance that said stuff would be bugged by chinaman. You can thank Hillary Clinton for opening this new line of stupidity regardless if you think her actions regarding the private Email server were criminal because "what if one of her devices was made by a Chinese plant that does this?" is a serious security concern.

• Agree
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

X Prime

kiwifarms.net
"what if one of her devices was made by a Chinese plant that does this?" is a serious security concern.
This point needs to be reiterated ad nauseum.

You absolutely cannot trust any computer manufacturing company with significant ties to the Chinese mainland. The global utopianism of tech nerds and many in US government is naive to the extreme.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino