• ”oppressive and mean; employing the same censorship tactics as North Korea to continue in their efforts to kick autistics.”

Tumblr themes designed to assault the eyes

Discussion in 'Tumblr (◡‿◡✿)' started by SeaPancake, Feb 3, 2018.

Forum Guidelines

This board is for lolcows whose primary modus operandi is Tumblr, especially those who adhere to severe delusions that defy logic, reason, and science for the purpose of protecting their personal feelings.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum. Your life story is shit and nobody cares.
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over Lolcows. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • Don't white knight. Don't turn threads into an intervention. If you want to help, contact them privately.
  • Backup everything! Tumblr is a great shelter for Lolcows because it enables them to delete content and hide very quickly. Deny that ability.
  • Check your privilege every day.

@Meowthkip, @trombonista

1. Do these people even know basic graphic design? Who am I kidding, they don't, but are their eyes so busted up that they don't realize the monstrosities they create with their own two hands?

Light fairy pink text on a white background: BAD
    Black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow: FUCK NO
    NEON COLORS: No no no no hell no no no no.

It's like they want to punish people with functioning rods and cones in their eyeballs.

• Agree  x 16
    • Feels  x 6
    • Horrifying  x 2
    • Dumb  x 2
    • Informative  x 1
    • Autistic  x 1
    SeaPancake

SeaPancake KF's resident history sperg

kiwifarms.net
  2. I hate it when people use fucking pastel pink and tiny ass light blue text, like god damn i cant even read you're dumb posts without straining my eyes to see it. Thats the main reason why people with pastel themes should be mocked tbh

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 1
    • Horrifying Horrifying x 1
    Dicaprio Delorean

Dicaprio Delorean Bootleg Alfred Molina

kiwifarms.net
  3. I don't mind when artists use small text themes since it makes sense to make it more images-focused. Woke discourse accounts using such themes is just stupid, but no one's gonna read those tl;dr so who cares

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Somsnosa

Somsnosa Look at me! I'm the pope now

kiwifarms.net
  4. There are also the themes that are TINY EVERYTHING - 400x200 containers, size 8px font, you can't find the links because they're jumbled & scattered across the page... bonus points when the background doesn't adjust to the screen size.

I've talked to other theme makers, and people who don't know an ounce of graphic design sometimes get mocked for it in private. Depends on the person, though (you'd be genuinely surprised about how much drama there is in the theme making community).

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 5
    Sylvie Paula Paula

Sylvie Paula Paula Running at 500 "bi"s per minute

kiwifarms.net
  5. Tumblr is for tards. Real graphic design is spray painting your artwork onto pigs and letting them loose in your local DMV.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Winner Winner x 18
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    admiral

admiral 2 O'clock Friday, Chiropodist
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. Eh, it's just the resurgence of mid '00s-era LiveJournal and personal sites/fansites hosted on a trendy .nu domain making a comeback, thus proving that everything is in some way cyclical.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Debrotherized Luigi

Debrotherized Luigi Late Night Delight

kiwifarms.net
  7. Lowkey, the worst blogs are the ones where you can't even find the button that sends you to the next page. Fuck that noise.

• Agree Agree x 45
    • Winner Winner x 3
    kiwifarms.net
  8. Those tumblr blogs are designed so that True and Honest autists either get confused and scared or get sensory overload and close the tab. Its in essence a preemptive strike against trolling.

• Feels Feels x 12
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Benine Bovine

Benine Bovine Won’t push you off a cliff. Can’t spell.

kiwifarms.net
  9. Looks like bad website design didn't die with Web 1.0.

• Feels Feels x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ToroidalBoat

ToroidalBoat Token Hispanic Wacky Delly Friend
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  10. A lot of blogs - specifically in the roleplaying community - that advocate for disability inclusion tend to have themes that are tiny on larger screens anyways. Hell, I remember a pair of theme makers (who ran a blog called "vcnilla") being driven out of the theme making community for not being disability inclusive. You can find archives of their old themes (and even some of the codes) on the web archive. And while the RP community is clique-ish, you'd be surprised about the amount of cliques in the regular theme making community (such as theme-making "networks").

If I remember correctly, one of Tumblr's largest theme archive blogs theme-hunter happens to have a "blacklist" of not just thieves, but of normal theme makers to not reblog from. Hell, there were rumours about a newer theme maker being someone who was accused of stealing codes (they later ended up moving blogs) because of that specific clique. I think it even got to the point where the person the rumours were about ended up getting death threats. I don't remember who's exactly in this "clique" other than the mods of theme-hunter and some people who happen to be in the Korean RP community (aka they make OCs that use Korean celebrities as "faceclaims").

It's just like high school, except these people are teenagers & young adults bitching about HTML and [x] stealing [y]'s theme idea.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    Sylvie Paula Paula

kiwifarms.net
  11. I cannot count the amount of times I clicked on a blog that had content I was interested in only to be driven away by their godawful theme. There are a few tricks/websites you can use to make it easier, but you shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to view a fucking blog. I don't understand why people choose such awful, indecipherable layouts.

Some absolute trash I've seen includes:
    • Layouts that don't even show a next/previous page button
    • Autoplay (never, ever, ever have anything with autoplay)
    • Awful, clashing colors
    • Text that's too light to read
    • Ugly font choice
    • Infinite scrolling

• Agree  x 15
    • Like  x 1
    • Dislike  x 1
    • Informative  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    Cosmos

Cosmos Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
    Supervisor True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. Ngl, one time I sent an anon to gaylor-moon that said "your theme is shit and is bad on eyes, fucking change it". They weren't too happy. :sighduck:

It's because the themes are "aesthetic". Normally this is okay if your blog is strictly just images one after the other fitting a common pallette, but in kidcore and enby culture these themes are constantly rehashed and swiped from blogs, with the blogger crediting themselves and saying "DONUT STEEL"

I wrote my own themes from scratch using the default theme as a backbone structure, and that way the code isn't overcomplicated and I can very easily adjust one factor and have it change across the entire style. With these aesthetic themes, it's not that easy.

Moreso, it's also a common occurrence to use pixelart and sprites, because not only are they the hipster thing to bring back the old school web, but this type of style is incredibly common over in Japan.

The only thing I will disagree with is never having autoplay. It's fine, but only if you have a fucking pause button anywhere visible to stop the audio. Another suggested practice is to offer the reader the ability to toggle various aesthetic features, such as music, animations, layout, shadows, preloaders, or if the extra bio pages are internally displayed artificial iframes or open in a new tab.

But of course, hardly anyone knows how to fucking to do this. Their code is literally baby's first webpage, and to them if it works on their screen, it should obviously work everywhere.

Case in point? @floette can't code for shit and her own sidebar cuts off important content. Her infinite scrolling feature is shit and you have to scroll down and back up to the top for anything to load.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    m0rnutz

m0rnutz Not a furry

kiwifarms.net
  13. Usually these themes are made with base codes (from other people's blogs) because apparently HTML is hard (and trying to make your own base code is too). But all of them (or at least the ones that get popular) look like this:
    upload_2018-2-3_16-38-28.png
    so you can't tell the difference between one or the other.

To be fair, her theme wasn't made by her (the credit's really hard to find, but it is there. Bottom right hand side). This is the original.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 9
    Sylvie Paula Paula

kiwifarms.net
  14. The absolute worst offenders are the ones without an "Archive/Gallery" tab, forcing you to go through each page if you want to see everything. Like if I see a neat piece of art and go to their tumblr page so I can see the archive of their other nice art and there's no "Gallery" tab? And pages upon pages of fucking inane rambling text entries between each actual art entry? Instant fucking shitlist.

It's insult to injury when there's no gallery tab and a gaudy, eye raping color scheme.

• Feels Feels x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  15. A good joke by George Carlin once went "think of how stupid the average person is; and realize that half of them are stupider than that." Say what you want about George Carlin but it's applicable as some form of an explanation. Any schlub can just make a tumblr account, and tumblr users aren't known for their stunning intelligence. Average Jane and Joe don't know the first clue about proper utilization of color or organization, so it's not surprising that they think yellow on off-white is perfectly legible. I'm also willing to believe that they'll reject any criticism that says otherwise.

• Feels Feels x 5
    _01

_01 INITIALIZED PARAMETERIZED

kiwifarms.net
  16. If they're so intent on having such eyerapey themes, they could at least include an option to increase text size/change the text color. But I guess "it's hard and ruins muh ~*~*aesthetic*~*~"

EDIT: Typo.

denpakei

denpakei It's not all so bad!

kiwifarms.net
  17. 75CA0A96-4339-4164-9114-7F8194477126.jpeg

I made a mockup of the avg. tumblr user

• Winner Winner x 41
    • DRINK DRINK x 2
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Benine Bovine

Benine Bovine Won’t push you off a cliff. Can’t spell.

kiwifarms.net
  18. DICKPICSRUS

DICKPICSRUS Tfw no salt mine

kiwifarms.net
    • Feels Feels x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    denpakei

denpakei It's not all so bad!

kiwifarms.net
  19. its missing "X character is my husbando"

• 🤔 Thunkful x 4
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Dicaprio Delorean

Dicaprio Delorean Bootleg Alfred Molina

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.