Culture Tweet of Metro worker eating on train could cost DC author her book deal - Could? It already did.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
https://wtop.com/dc/2019/05/tweet-of-metro-worker-eating-on-train-could-cost-dc-author-her-book-deal/
When D.C. author Natasha Tynes tweeted about a Metro employee’s apparent rule violation on Friday, she didn’t realize her book deal would be in jeopardy as a result.

Tynes tagged WMATA in a tweet regarding an employee in uniform breaking a rule by eating on the train. The controversy on Twitter, however, began quickly, with several people commenting on the race and gender of the employee.

She later apologized and deleted the tweet. She has since set her account to private. Anonymous social media watchdog account UnsuckDCMetro then tweeted the photo multiple times, sparking more backlash.

Barry Hobson, the chief of staff for the Metro workers union said the employee was taking a meal break while in transit from one assignment to another, The Washington Post reported.

On May 8, Metro issued a “cease and desist” order preventing officers from issuing criminal citations in D.C. for fare evasion; eating; drinking; spitting, and playing musical instruments without headphones.

After hearing about the tweet, Tynes’ publishing house, Rare Birds Books, has decided not to publish her latest novel.

Tynes’ publisher, California Coldblood, has also cut ties, saying it will postpone the book’s publication date and discuss appropriate next steps to officially cancel it.

This is Natasha Tynes, the offending party.

Maybe with a name like that they thought she was white?

Lemmingwise

Through a scanner smuckly
kiwifarms.net
You should use more social media to attract more attention for your next novel. Here I'll send you on a training course on "social media done right"

I really don't like social media. Can't you guys advertise for me? Isn't that your job?

Do you want to be a published writer or not?

Fine, but what do I tweet about? I really don't want to waste too much time on it.

Look it's not hard. Just type what you're thinking about while you commute.

Who am I kidding? Probably couldn't pry social media from her cold dead hands.

I'm not sure who I dislike least in this story. The person responsible for making a mess in the train (because yes, people that eat in the train create a mess in the train on average). The person who photographs strangers and puts it online. The immediate firing for one uniform break. The not publishing a novel for claiming racism because someone photographed a black person doing something she shouldn't be doing.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
Are you fucking kidding? I can’t even make a joke about this, that bitch was breaking her jobs rules and regulations and the person that called her out on it gets the pike because they happened to be a WoMaN oF cOlOr? That is protected class status right there.
the amount of people on twitter defending the black chick amazes me, she literally isn't following her jobs rules, what else is there to it?
as it was noted, the FT employees at WMATA are entitled to a meal break and two smaller breaks for their shift - this particular employee was working a double shift (16 hours on the clock) and was taking the train from one site to another, and was eating at the only chance she would get. earlier in the month, WMATA suspended enforcement of a variety of rules, including eating on the train, due to shortage of staff (which is also why a lot of metro transit authorities are offering OT constantly).

i live in the CA Bay Area and this sort of thing is actually really common on BART because metro transits are chronically understaffed (same with many police departments and other city departments where you have to actually do work instead of sitting in an office somewhere).

Last edited:

Eryngium

kiwifarms.net
Why does everyone gotta be a busybody, nowadays? It's no longer a pursuable violation and the woman was on a time crunch inbetween travelling to a different work assignment. She looked awful careful about not spilling anything, too.
as it was noted, the FT employees at WMATA are entitled to a meal break and two smaller breaks for their shift - this particular employee was working a double shift (16 hours on the clock) and was taking the train from one site to another, and was eating at the only chance she would get. earlier in the month, WMATA suspended enforcement of a variety of rules, including eating on the train, due to shortage of staff (which is also why a lot of metro transit authorities are offering OT constantly).

i live in the CA Bay Area and this sort of thing is actually really common on BART because metro transits are chronically understaffed (same with many police departments and other city departments where you have to actually do work instead of sitting in an office somewhere).
as it was noted-part of her job was not to eat on a train, if she can't adhere to simple rules the job is not for her, i'm sure there are plenty of other people who could do her job and adhere to rules, I wouldn't want a person chewing in my ear.

Sam Losco

Caveman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She was a bitch for posting, hell even taking that photo. Woman was just trying to grab a meal when she could.

That being said, the publisher pulling the plug over this is crazy extreme. It's stupid how the biggest backlash is because the worker was a black woman and not just because this was bullshit snitching over something insignificant.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure who I dislike least in this story. The person responsible for making a mess in the train (because yes, people that eat in the train create a mess in the train on average). The person who photographs strangers and puts it online. The immediate firing for one uniform break. The not publishing a novel for claiming racism because someone photographed a black person doing something she shouldn't be doing.
The thing that made me post the story was that worlds were colliding. And I wanted to beat catparty to it. That the woman ate on a train I don't really have a problem with, being an employee in the public transit system makes me pretty sure she's not one of those people that don't care if they make a mess and they don't care who's problem it is to clean it up.

Funny how "brave female author harassed online" wasn't the headline. 🤔🤔
Brave PoC female author vs the harassment machine. This is the top of goodreads for her book of a murdered PoC woman reincarnated as a second soul in the body of a boy, according to the blurb, I don't know. It's called "They called me Wyatt".
1473 one star ratings in a day with tons of angry comments.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44074741-they-called-me-wyatt
It just goes on and on.

Her website is shut down as well, just showing "this website is currently unavailable".
http://www.natashatynes.com/

edit:
Oh, she used to write for HuffPo
https://www.huffpost.com/author/natasha-tynes
And washington post, Esquire and Aljazeera.

Snapshot of her website, some stuff about racism and Palestine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180807184216/http://www.natashatynes.com/

My point is that she's probably not the target they expect.

Last edited:

Clop

kiwifarms.net
Assuming that a worker has to be eating in transit because their employer sucks so hard that they won't have time otherwise, it's a pretty shitty snitch thing to do to call them out for daring to have food. I feel sorry for the lady not only for getting a middle-class bitch jumping down her throat, but because now the media is using her as yet another fucking weapon in their "muh opreshun" olympics. In the worst case scenario she might even believe their bullshit and assume this shit existence is because of da wypipo and racishum.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino