Twitter warns of legacy site theme shutting down on June 1 - RIP/FU twitter

Cast Iron Pan

A trauma-informed, gender-affirming praxis
kiwifarms.net

Twitter warns of legacy site theme shutting down on June 1

Twitter is warning users impersonating unsupported browsers to enable the original site theme that the legacy version will be shut down on June 1st, 2020.

In July 2019, Twitter began rolling out a new site interface that many, including myself, was greatly inferior to the legacy template.

It was quickly discovered that if you installed a browser extension to trick Twitter into thinking you were running Internet Explorer 11, which is unsupported, Twitter would continue to show you the older site template.

For those who are using this trick to impersonate Internet Explorer 11, Twitter has started to display a warning that states this trick is going to stop working on June 1st, 2020, when they will shut down the original legacy version of Twitter.

"This is the legacy version of twitter.com. We will be shutting it down on June 1, 2020. Please switch to a supported browser, or disable the extension which masks your browser. You can see a list of supported browsers in our Help Center."

New Twitter warning about legacy version
New Twitter warning about legacy version

The help article states that Twitter's supported browsers are Firefox, Edge, Safari, and Google Chrome.

While it has been a good run, it looks like we all get to experience Twitter's new theme, whether we want it or not, starting on June 1st, 2020.

Spamy the Bot

Notorious Moon
kiwifarms.net
What's up with tech businesses and just randomly changing interfaces and removing options for the users?
Must be a fetish for the nerds making these things, or at least the design team making excuses for their continued employment due to reworking the reworks after every rework.

Youtube is notorius for that. Don't be YouTube when it comes to UI and UX design.

NeilBreenLover69

kiwifarms.net
What's up with tech businesses and just randomly changing interfaces and removing options for the users?
Must be a fetish for the nerds making these things, or at least the design team making excuses for their continued employment due to reworking the reworks after every rework.

Youtube is notorius for that. Don't be YouTube when it comes to UI and UX design.
I guess they enjoy the power. Because fucking over the millions of peoples' experience means that you probably affected the girl who rejected their prom proposal 20some years ago in a negative way.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Say what you want about reddit's shitty redesign, but at least they give people the option of using the old design that isn't absolute trash.
The only reason why it's stuck around for so long is because Reddit users grew a collective brain and revolted when they saw how badly Conde Nast was gutting subreddit styles. Once they throw off enough malcontents they will strip themselves of that pesky CSS.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The only explanation I've ever heard is from some mislaid notion that it somehow makes the site feel refreshed, keeping users from getting bored and moving onto the next thing by tricking them into thinking they're getting some kind of upgrade.

Obviously that doesn't work though, so, I really don't know. As far as I can tell, Reddit's new interface seems designed around idle, mindless browsing and consooming headlines. Like, you'll get linked to a Reddit thread, see a few comments, keep scrolling down, and accidentally find yourself reading more headlines from other posts rather than the rest of the comments.

Spamy the Bot

Notorious Moon
kiwifarms.net
The only explanation I've ever heard is from some mislaid notion that it somehow makes the site feel refreshed, keeping users from getting bored and moving onto the next thing by tricking them into thinking they're getting some kind of upgrade.

Obviously that doesn't work though, so, I really don't know. As far as I can tell, Reddit's new interface seems designed around idle, mindless browsing and consooming headlines. Like, you'll get linked to a Reddit thread, see a few comments, keep scrolling down, and accidentally find yourself reading more headlines from other posts rather than the rest of the comments.
Novelty is usually good for people retention, but they could like implement new features perhaps. Oh well. It's Twitter.
I think it's a general trend that every page wants to be basically the feed where you get the content while cutting down other features. I can understand it from a "getting down to the core of the experience" standpoint, but as a guy who likes tinkering around it is pretty limiting.

Tags
None