Twitter warns of legacy site theme shutting down on June 1 - RIP/FU twitter

BlueSpark

kiwifarms.net
The only explanation I've ever heard is from some mislaid notion that it somehow makes the site feel refreshed, keeping users from getting bored and moving onto the next thing by tricking them into thinking they're getting some kind of upgrade.
My personal theory is that these large tech companies have too many members of staff whose jobs require them to be constantly "improving" things. So, to justify their own employment, they can't just maintain a functional design and have to have new stuff being worked on.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Once again, I'm glad I never bothered with Twitter to begin with.

I don't think this will be what makes Twitter go the way of MySpace or LiveJournal, but it could be the first misstep in a series of blunders that eventually make Twitter irrelevant.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
kiwifarms.net
My personal theory is that these large tech companies have too many members of staff whose jobs require them to be constantly "improving" things. So, to justify their own employment, they can't just maintain a functional design and have to have new stuff being worked on.
By and large that has been my experience. Design will hand off the design to dev; dev will have long tails of support and maintenance keeping them busy. Design on the other hand won't, so you'll see a lot of smaller studios without big commitments (i.e. $$ projected for the two-year plan) contract a design for six months to a year. In bigger companies they keep design around to cut down overhead, and eventually they lean on them for some results whether or not any of the customers asked for it.

Crazedking

If only you knew how bad it really is.
kiwifarms.net
this isnt a theory, its literally what happen. People making changes just to have changes to justify their jobs is as old as time and isnt limited to tech companies.

CIA Nigger

Not a fed, just a random object on the street.
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The other big reason I see alongside this is when companies are struggling from the competition of a new site. So they'll quickly shit out a copy of the other site's design, losing users in the process. I've seen this happen to DeviantArt, it happened to some dying messenger apps on the PC, and I've heard it's happened to 2ch as well (Null mentioned this in his Jim Watkins stream).

• Agree
Reactions: Kiwi Lime Pie

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
I honestly think that the UX design are trying to deliberately push out a bad UI into production, so that they can be paid to their own mistakes.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Cast Iron Pan

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a few options, like hiding features behind paywalls or removing the ability to hide or delete tweets.

Though now I'm just giving them ideas.
They won't remove the ability to delete tweets. That would upset every blue checkmark and Twitter only exists so the dumb masses can get the right opinions from the blue checkmarks. Put it behind a paywall might be ok, but never remove it entirely.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
kiwifarms.net
I believe all these new "simpler" updates with big buttons for what you want to to is to cater for the braindead boomers.
I've found that it's less about their aptitude and more about their age. Fine motor control and eyesight are rapidly escaping the boomers and they literally cannot read or operate a website with normal information density.

The millenials and the zoomers, on the other hand, are used to everything being twice the size it needs to be on the internet, so we are likely going to see this cycle perpetuate itself when the now-twenty-somethings become the then-fifty-somethings.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net

chroma

kiwifarms.net
Tags
None