Two speds slapfight about gay nerd shit -

Senior Lexmechanic

Now Senior Lexmaniac
kiwifarms.net
Complete bullshit. How many times do legitimately good books actually make best-seller lists or become well-known series', let alone get television or movie deals? That shit is 100% nepotism.
Tolkien, Lewis, Rowling (her books are decent kid's lit), Riordan (the original Percy Jackson series was decent), Rothfuss (who killed the Bestseller List with The Wise Man's Fear,) Sanderson (The Stormlight Archive sells gangbusters based mostly on word-of-mouth promotion)... the list goes on.
"It's impossible to have a good book/film/game/etc. sell well without nepotism!" is the battle-cry of creatives with an inflated sense of their own talent.

Pol Pots Pooter

kiwifarms.net
Tolkien, Lewis, Rowling (her books are decent kid's lit), Riordan (the original Percy Jackson series was decent), Rothfuss (who killed the Bestseller List with The Wise Man's Fear,) Sanderson (The Stormlight Archive sells gangbusters based mostly on word-of-mouth promotion)... the list goes on.
"It's impossible to have a good book/film/game/etc. sell well without nepotism!" is the battle-cry of creatives with an inflated sense of their own talent.
And exactly how many of those got their start in the last decade, once the cancer metastasized to SFF?

Senior Lexmechanic

Now Senior Lexmaniac
kiwifarms.net
In other words they were already published authors.
And for like $200, so can you in this wonderful age of self-publishing and Kindles. Worm is an immensely-popular capeshit story that has tens of thousands of fans despite it existing as a series of Wordpress entries.
Your question at root is "Why doesn't the SFF circlejerk suck off authors I like/ME?"
Here, let me spoon-feed you a counterpoint: Delia Owens' debut novel Where the Crawdad Sings has been on the NYT bestseller list for over a year despite her being a new author outside of the highly-niche world of zoology memoirs (which has zero sway in the much-more competitive mystery/drama fiction market) and having been canceled for (allegedly) being a racist.

Last edited:

Pol Pots Pooter

kiwifarms.net
Here, let me spoon-feed you a counterpoint: Delia Owens' debut novel Where the Crawdad Sings has been on the NYT bestseller list for over a year despite her being a new author outside of the highly-niche world of zoology memoirs (which has zero sway in the much-more competitive mystery/drama fiction market) and having been canceled for (allegedly) being a racist.
Interesting you're not too keen on elaborating on the how's and why's of that which has made them darlings of the "Bill Ayers crowd" over the past thirty-odd years. Which I'm sure has nothing at all do to with a certain Hollywood actress on the outs looking to buy her way out of recent high-profile animal rights controversies, who put the book on her reading list and gobbled up film rights to it less than a month after it went on sale.

Tags
None