Underappreciated cuts of beef - Red Meat on a budget

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
Tri-tip is sort of an upcoming hipster cut. It's an oddball assortment. It's basically a cut below the sirloin that has been underutilized. It's a little tricky to work with because while you cut it against the grain as with most cuts like this, the grain actually varies through the cut.

Makes good stroganoff.

For frying chicken, I actually prefer pickle juice to buttermilk lately. Whole milk and a splash or two of pickle juice. I just can't justify having buttermilk around since literally the only thing I ever do with it is frying. So I'd buy buttermilk, use a couple splashes and the rest spoils.

Also chicken hearts are underrated.
I have to second all of this. Now I use buttermilk sometimes, just depends on if I've got pickle juice, but the pickle juice does give it a great flavor and tenderizes nicely. And, you're absolutely correct, chicken hearts are underrated. They're pretty simple to prepare and they have great flavor. I far prefer them to chicken livers. I can do beef liver, but I'm not a chicken liver fan.

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
How is a hangar steak under appreciated? It's probably the hardest cut to find. My butcher gets 2-3 in a week and they get taken right away.

I'd say the thinner end of a skirt is under appreciated. Same texture and deep flavour as a hanger if grilled hot and fast. Honestly I think I like a quick grilled nice piece of skirt better than any other cut.
Skirt and flank steak arent necessarily cheap though, but I live in a border state and everyone uses them for fajitas. Its kind of bullshit because its meant to be the like cheap grilling meat for people who cant afford expensive ass steaks but it still sells for like 7+ dollars/lb at the regular grocery store at least during summer where I live. Im just jealous because it really is good with like some chimichurri sauce, some cojita cheese, some grilled onions and peppers and maybe some roasted corn, some cilantro, bit of lime squeezed on. Yeah its the basic bitch hipster fajita but its a classic for a reason.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Skirt and flank steak arent necessarily cheap though, but I live in a border state and everyone uses them for fajitas. Its kind of bullshit because its meant to be the like cheap grilling meat for people who cant afford expensive ass steaks but it still sells for like 7+ dollars/lb at the regular grocery store at least during summer where I live.
Hipsters ruin everything even worse than furries do.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Beef tongue isn't actually that bad.
I think it's okay as one of many meats in one of those giant stacked deli sandwiches you see in New York, but pure beef tongue is a bit too fatty and mealy. It's great in combination with lean meats because it adds some needed fat.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it's okay as one of many meats in one of those giant stacked deli sandwiches you see in New York, but pure beef tongue is a bit too fatty and mealy. It's great in combination with lean meats because it adds some needed fat.
I wonder how it would do in a chili type stew ish thing.

Plastic Inevitable

Actually not a TERF
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We're having a local, grass-fed, organic chuck eye steak (with loaded mashed potatoes) for dinner tonight. I should probably be braising or pressure cooking it because it's not very marbled due to the grass fed-ness, but I like to live dangerously.

Pray for Mojo... and the beef.

Disheveled Human

Imagine Jerking off to Japanese mens art
kiwifarms.net
Blade Steaks. But my favorite is top sirloin or sirloin tip, not the cheapest but very affordable for the size of steak very lean and good on the BBQ.

Tags
None