• ”Let's just Timothy McVeigh this motherfucker.”

Underrated PS1 games

Discussion in 'Games' started by UnKillFill, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Blood Omen feels like the missing link between Zelda and Diablo. Soul Reaver has Tomb Raider gameplay plus dual worlds and a very enthralling gothic atmosphere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    The Shadow

The Shadow The Case of the Antagonistic Autodialer

kiwifarms.net
  2. I'm gonna add some games that I just remembered:
    Vagrant Story. Hard as fuck though from what I remember.
    Colony Wars, Apocalypse, Loaded and Gekido.

• Winner Winner x 1
    RIP_SANITY

RIP_SANITY I DID NOTHING WRONG DOOD

kiwifarms.net
  3. Tecmo's Deception and Kagero: Deception 2 are also great games. You play a bad guy killing RPG stereotypes in a mansion full of traps.

• Like Like x 4
    kiwifarms.net
  4. Even though nearly every video game magazine and reviewer hated it, I still love Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi to this day and I really wish they would make another Star Wars fighting game with a better and more modern gameplay engine.

It was basically Mortal Kombat 4 but with characters from the original Star Wars trilogy (as well as some of the Expanded Universe characters of the time, like Jodo Kast and Mara Jade)

Another underrated fighting game from the tail end of the PS1 era was Digimon: Rumble Arena.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li Bill Dauterive Kin

kiwifarms.net
  5. MK4 was much better than that POS game.
    And MK4 wasn't really good either, just merely an ok game (a castrated UMK3/MKT imo. No exclusive dial up combos, run being way faster than UMK3, and projectiles being slower meant it was a faster and more accesible but shallower UMK3 in 2.5D)

I will add that a modern day Star Wars fighting game done right could be awesome though.

• Feels Feels x 1
    RIP_SANITY

RIP_SANITY I DID NOTHING WRONG DOOD

kiwifarms.net
  6. I will admit that childhood nostalgia probably made me blind to the myriad flaws of Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi.

Syaoran Li

kiwifarms.net
  7. Medievil and Skullmonkeys were the games I loved as a kid.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    Placebo

Placebo Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!

kiwifarms.net
  8. I completely forgot how much I enjoyed Ape Escape as a kid.

• Like Like x 2
    Corypheus

Corypheus Totally not evil

kiwifarms.net
  9. I always refer to Vagrant Story as proto-Dark Souls. You will die. A lot. You will get frustrated. A lot. But once everything finally clicks, it's a damn good game and will give you a rosy glow of accomplishment once you beat it. Hell, there's even a New Game + that opens up one or two areas that were blocked off during your first playthrough. Plus the story is full of excellent plot twists. [/sperg]

• Agree Agree x 2
    American Lollinator Mace

American Lollinator Mace Dykes! Dykes! PUSSY!!!

kiwifarms.net
  10. The Enix America, Inc. era Dragon Quest games didn't really have accents, though VII's localization suffered heavily from being rushed due to how massive the script was, with many grammatical and spelling errors throughout the entire game.

Enix America, Inc. was a very short lived American subsidiary of Enix,. It was the second attempt by Enix to publish thier own games in the West after Enix America Corporation was closed in 1995. It lasted from 1999 to 2003 when Enix merged with Squaresoft. The following Dragon Quest games were localized under it, all keeping the Dragon Warrior name that was used for the NES era games in North America:

Gameboy Color:
    -Dragon Warrior I+II
    -Dragon Warrior III
    -Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey
    -Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure

Playstation:
    -Dragon Warrior VII
    -Torneko: The Last Hope

There was also advertisements on the back of the Dragon Warrior VII instruction manual for a localization of the PS1 remake of Dragon Quest IV, but at some point it was dropped

In case you were wondering, the original Dragon Warrior Monsters was published in the west by Eidos, it is the only Dragon Quest game to be released outside of Japan after IV for the NES but before the formation of the Enix America, Inc

• Informative Informative x 2
    #50 Dunsparce, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Dunsparce

Dunsparce Out of Control
    Staff Member Manager True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. Alien Trilogy was a good PS1 game.

It's pretty much your typical 1990's Doom Clone FPS game, but set in the Alien universe. Even if it can be a little generic, it is a solid game and I like that you have both Xenomorph enemies and human enemies who work for Weyland-Yutani like security guards, androids, and mercenaries.

Alien Resurrection for the PS1 is more like a Quake clone than a Doom clone, but it's a decent FPS for its time, and it's one of the few cases where the game was a lot better than the movie it was based on.

Syaoran Li

kiwifarms.net
  12. Omega Boost, Project Overkill and Devil Dice

Project Overkill does have some issues with it's control, but it's a rather fun and difficult game for it's time.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Anonymus Fluhre

Anonymus Fluhre No man fears what he has seen grow

kiwifarms.net
  13. I second Tactics Ogre; keep in mind that the PS1 and PSP versions play drastically differently, though the PSP one has more content.

John Titor

John Titor Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself

kiwifarms.net
  14. Enix... Say, isn't that the company who raped and murdered square?

• Winner Winner x 1
    UnKillFill

UnKillFill Bromance y'all.

kiwifarms.net
  15. 5818-468x-cover.jpg
    I don't think I've seen anyone ever mention Wild 9, made by the studio that did Earthworm Jim. If I remember correct, it was especially ugly for a PS1 game but the mechanics were satisfying.

Fleeb

Fleeb Lenny = White; Carl = Black

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.