Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Dio Brando

Saikou ni HIGH te Yattsu da!!!
kiwifarms.net
The title kinda says it all, so I guess I'll start

I don't see any appeal at all with Black Lagoon. It feels like it just wants to be hardcore and edgy, but instead it's like a 13-year old wrote an anime after drinking red bull and listening to a slayer album. At most I can at least say the English dub is pretty good.

Red

I screwed up my future by becoming a lolcow.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or the manga, just the 2003 anime.
I agree with this! Granted it's nostalgia goggles, since I was way into it as a young'un. I have a fondness for it, but I don't think it's particularly good.
Anyway, I don't like Spirited Away. After falling in love with Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke I was expecting something brilliant from what is apparently the studio's greatest film, but I ended up being really, really disappointed. I was bored the whole time, and I really couldn't get invested in the lore or the characters. It wasn't a bad film, per se, but I was extremely underwhelmed.

MisterMuggles

Urgh
kiwifarms.net
I don't like Bleach. I watched some episodes with a bunch of other people years ago and I couldn't get into it. And no, I don't know if I was on the filler or not.

I consider Princess Mononoke to be Hayao Miyazaki's worst film. I got bored watching it in English and found it a chore to watch in Japanese. And yes, I did watch the whole film. In Japanese.

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
-Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler is little more than eyecandy for yaoi fangirls. The plot is paper-thin, the main character is an obnoxious brat, and all the gay subtext is extremely annoying. I'm not homophobic, but JFC, there's a thing as too much. And did I mention that the most popular ship supports pedophilia?

-Vampire Knight is fucking awful. It started off really Twilight-y and then became an edgy emo girl's fantasy. Complete with Mary Sue protagonist who gets her happily ever after. I can't believe I used to like it.

-I'm still a fan of the original English dub of Sailor Moon. Yes, it was horribly censored and cheesy as hell, but a lot of people seem to forget that it came out in the 90's. Honestly, I just find most of the voices fitting.

I don't like Bleach. I watched some episodes with a bunch of other people years ago and I couldn't get into it. And no, I don't know if I was on the filler or not.
Not liking Bleach is actually pretty popular these days. Same with Naruto.

Last edited:

Dio Brando

kiwifarms.net
I never could get into Attack on Titan. It seemed like a good concept but the main character comes across as annoying.
I actually like Attack on Titan and I still say Eren is a total asshole of a protagonist. To me, the only thing that really holds that series together are supporting characters like Armin, Jean, and Levi.

On another note, I think Inuyasha was fucking terrible

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
I prefer the character development Seras got in the original Hellsing anime over Ultimate. She was a lot more concerned with maintaining her humanity and was able to interact with a variety of characters. I also hate how she and Pip become a couple in the manga/Ultimate; they had no chemistry, and their feelings for each other literally came out of nowhere.

Dio Brando

kiwifarms.net
Seras was the only good thing about the original Hellsing.
I'm kinda with you on this one. The original Hellsing is just so bland compared to the manga/Ultimate. I do like that they give Seras a bigger narrative focus and more screen time for the Valentine brothers, but that's really where the good points end. Incognito does not at all have the same charisma and fun the Major had and I simply waited for Alucard to just kick his ass already. My biggest gripe is what they did with my favorite character in Ultimate: Alexander Anderson. His rivalry with Alucard was such a big focus in Ultimate and as time went on, they develop a sort of respect for each other that Alucard truly hoped that Anderson would finally be the one to kill him for good, so much so that he was so angry when Anderson used Helena's Nail on himself to become a monster and actually cried when he had to kill him. You see none of this in the TV series, Anderson is basically just some crazed killer obsessed with Alucard for no reason at all. Even in Ultimate, despite his desire to kill Alucard, Anderson is still shown to be a very calm person and devout Catholic who cares deeply about children, very different from the psycho assassin in the original.