Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Tepes Thot

kiwifarms.net
I like that anime/manga is more accessible than ever. I even kind of like that it’s extremely popular right now. (Hell, it’s a saving grace from dogshit western comics and animation right now)

But I worry that current-year western influence is gonna drag it down to our entertainment quality. Then there’ll be less places to go for escapism. Netflix is already plotting on how to Trojan horse in there, and it wouldn’t take much to go from (on average) nuanced explorations of social/political themes, to full padded-cell productions.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Berserk lost a lot of it's grit when the more high fantasy elements of its plot started to be introduced. The most recent ten or so chapters where they're all just sitting and chatting in the garden of the elves doesn't even seem like the same manga.

Agreed. Along with stuffing around for far too long on Idolmaster, Miura seems to be having considerable trouble with getting to the point. Because his story became popular as fantasy, it seems like he feels the need to flesh out all of the fantasy in various facets just to make it seem more epic, when I think all the fluff is dragging the series down.

It's been over 10 years since that arc with the Sea God, and I can't say the story's travelled very far in that time. They finally reached Elfhelm and it was a case of, "oh! A chapter about a witch with tits! What great fluff, time to restore Casca's mem- nope! Fapping about the village is the focus for this year's quarter! Okay, now they're past that and it's time to fix Cas-oh no! Let's do a chapter where they drink tea. Followed by another arc about Griffith proclaiming how great he is. AGAIN."

The story has just been dragging on for so long it's hard to put a stake in anything. Casca's restoration took so long I really didn't care and felt like there was no true payoff. It really seems that while the Fantasia arc and the realm merging was great, it was extremely detrimental in that Miura thinks he has to add another hundred layers that nobody cares about on top of what he already had.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
I like that anime/manga is more accessible than ever. I even kind of like that it’s extremely popular right now. (Hell, it’s a saving grace from dogshit western comics and animation right now)

But I worry that current-year western influence is gonna drag it down to our entertainment quality. Then there’ll be less places to go for escapism. Netflix is already plotting on how to Trojan horse in there, and it wouldn’t take much to go from (on average) nuanced explorations of social/political themes, to full padded-cell productions.

One thing I can hope from that is if it fails they start from scratch and tell Westerners to piss off, or if they tell them to look in the mirror considering things that have happened over the years

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net

I mean the thing with Animanga is most Japanese do not give a shit about American sensitivities. The only thing westerners can do to have "SJW" elements in Animanga is either translations that force their views (Fan-Translations can prevent this) or make Pseudo-Anime that have these elements which is mainly what CrunchyRoll has been doing.

The Token Ethnic

死、不幸、悲しみ。
kiwifarms.net
I'm always amused at the fact that I can go to my local library and pick up pretty much an entire manga series now. Hell, anime merch is plentiful if you're into that.

I mean the thing with Animanga is most Japanese do not give a shit about American sensitivities. The only thing westerners can do to have "SJW" elements in Animanga is either translations that force their views (Fan-Translations can prevent this) or make Pseudo-Anime that have these elements which is mainly what CrunchyRoll has been doing.
There are some people out there who do an amazing job with fan translations. Whomever started working on the Seton Academy manga did a highly detailed translation complete with notes for cultural references. But he deliberately went out of his way to be edgy on the scanlation credit page, but that never showed up in his work on the manga itself. He stopped working on it and whomever took over did such a terrible job on the translation.

Azovka

kiwifarms.net
I think Mononoke (not the Princess one, just Mononoke) is an excellent anime that deserves more recognition.

And I wish there were more anime that would be about Japanese folklore or history without making it all about thirsting for lolis in a vaguely Edo-reminiscent period.

Also, I have good memories of Inuyasha, but I was a kid when watching it, so it might be the nostalgia speaking.

KingofNothing

Wahoo!
kiwifarms.net
I don't see the problem with isekai stories. Sure, a lot of it is shit, but what genre of anime isn't majority shit anyway.
Some of them go a little too hard into the wish fulfilment category. I don't mind an overpowered MC, but when the world also bends over backwards to suck their dick complete with a harem, I start to roll my eyes a little. Overlord is starting to make me feel that way with Nazarick constantly jerking Ainz off, but the fact that the rest of the world hates him evens it out somewhat.

Lucky Strike Salesman

Enjoy The Smooth Toasted Flavor
kiwifarms.net
I don't see the problem with isekai stories. Sure, a lot of it is shit, but what genre of anime isn't majority shit anyway.
shows like shield hero are pretty tolerable because the mc actually struggles for a bit before becoming god.

others get instant harem with superpowers so its just you watching some gooks jerk off fantasy

MugolEx

kiwifarms.net
There is literately no point to the isekai concept. The MC gets transported into another world and that detail is dropped by the end of the first episode. It's usually never brought up again and has almost zero impact on the plot. Every isekai might as well just start off in the other world.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
I prefer shoujo/josei to their male counterparts. I've never really met anybody else with the same preference or they still always were a bigger fan of some shounen series or another and/or they only watched the anime for the bigger series in the genres.

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Mononoke (not the Princess one, just Mononoke) is an excellent anime that deserves more recognition.

And I wish there were more anime that would be about Japanese folklore or history without making it all about thirsting for lolis in a vaguely Edo-reminiscent period.

Also, I have good memories of Inuyasha, but I was a kid when watching it, so it might be the nostalgia speaking.
Inuyasha isn't actually bad at all. It gets hipster backlash from people that don't want to admit they liked it back when it was insanely popular.

Bastard_Call

Amateur rapist
kiwifarms.net
Uzumaki isn't a very good story. It takes far too long for Kirie and Shuichi to try and escape, the moment you saw your boyfriend's dad get bent into a spiral and make a post-mortem death cloud at his funeral you would be out of there. The only reason they're doomed at the end is because Kirie is stricken with creepy-pasta syndrome where she thinks her best friend's face turning into a wormhole is just a glitch. It spoils the tension when even the main characters don't seem to be frightened enough to fix their situation.

I also don't think the longer format suits Junji Ito's mode of storytelling. Sure, seeing a creepy splash in Black Bird is shocking. The whole comic preceding it essentially exists to build up to that point. Seeing Shuichi's dad twisted into a spiral is kind of creepy at first, but the more they happen the less shocking they get. Eventually it just becomes a matter of waiting to see what spiral related death will happen next. It's not even very good at producing dread because the victims are rarely given much time to grow on us. The whole book just feels very meandering.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
There is literately no point to the isekai concept. The MC gets transported into another world and that detail is dropped by the end of the first episode. It's usually never brought up again and has almost zero impact on the plot. Every isekai might as well just start off in the other world.
Most Isekai serve as self insert wish fulfillment for the viewer to think the MC is like them and it's very likely made that way by design. There are some isekai that try to take advantage of that premise (Konosuba and Re:Zero come to mind) while others it just feels unnecessary.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
There are 3 points to isekai concept:
1. You are now the alpha omega chad for playing video games and learning how to minmax.
2. Muh superior nippon cuisine.
3. Knowing basic bitch science/physics to solve problems in a better fashion:
1619814721479.png

It was actually a pretty heartwarming Franken Fran chapter.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
I'm completely fine with isekai and don't think it's any worse than 80% of all other anime / manga when it comes to wish fulfillment. I don't think "I was an average guy who got transported to another world and now I'm a bad ass knight" is any worse than "I'm an average high school student but for some reason every girl I meet wants to have my children".

Last edited:

Jeff Boomhauer

Yo.
kiwifarms.net
I'm been slowly curious about getting into anime, though it's mostly been video game related (as in, games with anime artstyle and themes). Here's just a brief, autistic list of my experience over the years:

BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo is my favorite anime, dubbed and subbed, and nothing will top it.

Looking at One Piece's history makes me exhausted. I haven't even finished Skypeia. I'll check back every few years just to see where Luffy and co. are, only to be met with like 5-10 names I don't recognize.

Pokemon Origins was better than the main anime, but was still uninteresting. Granted, that's because Gen. 1 has been beaten into the ground, even when this thing aired.

I watched the entirety of the F-Zero anime, and the only thing worth seeing was the Falcon Punch in the last episode, aka one of 2007's biggest memes.

I couldn't get into JoJo. I watched it up to episode 12 and didn't care to continue. Maybe I should give the third part a try one day?

I find human characters with visable fangs very off-putting.

Overcast

She will always be in my heart...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I prefer shoujo/josei to their male counterparts. I've never really met anybody else with the same preference or they still always were a bigger fan of some shounen series or another and/or they only watched the anime for the bigger series in the genres.
I recall back when I first really started getting into manga/anime back in high school, I couldn't really get into stuff like Shonen Jump. A lot of their series tend to drag things out whereas I found shoujo/josei series tend to get to the point and are generally more grounded. The one exception to this rule was Fullmetal Alchemist, but that was mostly because the original anime struck such a chord with me.

Everyone was talking about Bleach and One Piece while I sat in a corner in the school library reading Yotsuba&!.