Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Uncanny Valley

NO LIVES MATTER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1. Every DBZ arc ever made was just a rehash/expansion of an old Astro Boy episode, "The Greatest robot on earth", where Astro must defeat the big bad who roams around killing lesser robots.

2. Funimation VAs are mediocre, and as we've seen hostile to the fans that praise them constantly. I'm currently enduring Tales of Bezeria and I cant tell you how many times VAs over act, under act, break their voice/tone, or use the same voice for an extra.

3. CGI in anime can work when its executed correctly, but it rarely ever is.

4. Older anime like Ashita No Joe, Speed Racer, Astro Boy...most of that stuffs paced better than newer anime and more fun to watch. More action, less in-depth conversations about shoving a crow down a kids throat.

5. Anime has always had some western influences to it, the earliest heavily merchandised manga was mostly just Felix the Cat, but as a dog that goes to war with China, its also a very early case of the big eye thing.
how are any of these unpopular

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My Hero Academia Is a good show.

The show seems simple but it does a decent job of constructing a world based around heroes and then deconstructing what flaws a system like that would have. I think its issue is that it will introduce characters outside of the main cast and then dispose of them after the arc. The outsider characters will get development and around 1-2 of the main students from class 1A will get development. So the main cast evolves slowly and certain characters like Tsu, Toru, Mezo will stay effectively the same only being there to say something like "man everyone else is growing so fast I need to pick up my pace. " Also the fandom is fucking awful.

Akumaten

kiwifarms.net
My Hero Academia Is a good show.

The show seems simple but it does a decent job of constructing a world based around heroes and then deconstructing what flaws a system like that would have. I think its issue is that it will introduce characters outside of the main cast and then dispose of them after the arc. The outsider characters will get development and around 1-2 of the main students from class 1A will get development. So the main cast evolves slowly and certain characters like Tsu, Toru, Mezo will stay effectively the same only being there to say something like "man everyone else is growing so fast I need to pick up my pace. " Also the fandom is fucking awful.
The only two characters I don't like are Deku mostly due to his foundation of "I don't have a super power, boohoo" and then he gets all the power. Then he gets potential access to 8 powers while all other characters have to adapt to one. He's basically a crybaby Superman
The second is Endeavor...which is a can of worms I don't want to open.
I'm starting to like Bakugo more than Deku.

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only two characters I don't like are Deku mostly due to his foundation of "I don't have a super power, boohoo" and then he gets all the power. Then he gets potential access to 8 powers while all other characters have to adapt to one. He's basically a crybaby Superman
The second is Endeavor...which is a can of worms I don't want to open.
I'm starting to like Bakugo more than Deku.
I always saw deku as the introductory character to the series hence why he tends to be the vessel to introduce us to new characters like night eye or lemillion, the powers thing is shonen bullshit but probably has something to do with the nomus and will, hopefully, lead to him returning powers to certain characters and completing the whole "we all need to be the symbol of peace" theme the series went for in the earlier chapters.

I can't blame people for disliking endeavor but he's meant to reflect some of the more negative aspects of Japanese culture. It's a character that is hurt by our lack of understanding of the culture the series was written in.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Akumaten
the powers thing is shonen bullshit but probably has something to do with the nomus and will, hopefully, lead to him returning powers to certain characters and completing the whole "we all need to be the symbol of peace" theme the series went for in the earlier chapters.
Well tbf, anyone who didn't see the spoiler part coming from a mile away wasn't paying enough attention.

Swiss46

White Trash Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Kengan Ashura is the best battle manga I've ever read. The fights are pretty good with some bring pretty upredictable early on. Omega is a pretty good so far with Koga being better than Ohma was in my opinion.

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
I think half of that is the switch to digital "ink and paint" during the late 1990s and early 2000s. TV anime from the early digital era was indeed very bright although I think they largely managed to match the look of paint in digital by the mid to late 2000s. I know TV anime made today still looks generally a little brighter than TV anime animated using painted cels and backgrounds photographed on analogue film but the analogue photography process tended to slightly wash out and darken how the painted cels and backgrounds actually look.

It's perfectly alright to prefer anime animated using analogue processes just as long as you're aware that the photography process itself altered the colours in some small way. I myself first got into anime during the 1990s, when most anime was still analogue, and it took me a few years to get used to the look of anime animated digitally.
I admittedly can't stand or get used to digital anime aesthetics, or at least standard process digital techniques. Maybe it's because "i got used to it where are my prunes" but the standard digital coloring process evokes some mad uncanny valley in me. This goes from how color palletes these days/post 2008-2010 are absolutely bland and sterile looking, the use of black tone shading and fading makes for some laughable "realistic darkness and shadows", and how when it is used badly, it makes everything feel and look stiff. I'm seriously in the mood to go and take light tables for anime studios and grow an "outlaw adult underground anime ring and business circuit" where pre Electric Soldier Porygon standard anime can be made for Adults and Up/Parental Discretion Advised so that the 1990s/1980s format can exist again and whiny PTAs don't have to worry about their whipped school children going en masse to the hospital on weekday afternoons. Sorry kids, you have to be 18 and up for the shinies and artistic stuff (teenagers with a drive to want to see what the adults are watching may apply unofficially, as all growing humans do).

I don't think anime today is brighter than 1990s cel light table anime at all. I think infact it's even duller due to the Pokemon fiasco.

Also, what is up with all of the blatant SAO ripoffs being released these days? It gets especially obnoxious when they add in titles that take more than thirty seconds to accurately recite and softcore hentai elements.
Light novels and otaku wish fulfillment.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anime today is brighter than 1990s cel light table anime at all. I think infact it's even duller due to the Pokemon fiasco.
Honestly, they should've known better about the flashing. They didn't always preview the episodes before they shipped the copies off to the station(s), so a lot of flashing colors (not always red-blue, though, and they didn't exactly take up the entire screen) were in a lot of kids' shows back then. Some OVAs/movies were like that as well (although Landlock is such a fucking obscure OVA that the adult otaku who watched it might've only had a headache at worst). It's really a wonder that there weren't more reports of a vast number of kids getting seizures from watching Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon.

Darkening certain scenes (usually fight scenes) in post-production I think is stupid, but that's the regulation they put in place for broadcast.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
I admittedly can't stand or get used to digital anime aesthetics, or at least standard process digital techniques. Maybe it's because "i got used to it where are my prunes" but the standard digital coloring process evokes some mad uncanny valley in me.
I think that the CGi in anime is a bigger problem, its often used for simple things like doors, blocky basic cars, ceiling fans, and in one case a blank white wall, thought Western stuff has adopted it too and our stuff looks equally atrocious. Either go full CGI and abandon any pretenses of hand-drawn art, or learn how to animate basic mundane things again. Unlike humans most objects dont have anatomy or limbs to worry about, they could always rotoscope a toy if they absolutely have to.

I was once told that rolling boulders are hard to animate in todays quite expensive software without resorting to CGI, nevermind the countless cheaply made hand-drawn cartoons of yesteryear that had rolling boulders (ex 1967s Spider Man).

Last edited:

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I think that the CGi in anime is a bigger problem, its often used for simple things like doors, blocky basic cars, ceiling fans, and in one case a blank white wall, thought Western stuff has adopted it too and our stuff looks equally atrocious. Either go full CGI and abandon any pretenses of hand-drawn art, or learn how to animate basic mundane things again. Unlike humans most objects dont have anatomy or limbs to worry about, they could always rotoscope a toy if they absolutely have to.

I was once told that rolling boulders are hard to animate in todays quite expensive software without resorting to CGI, nevermind the countless cheaply made hand-drawn cartoons of yesteryear that had rolling boulders (ex 1967s Spider Man).
I'd make the argument that CGI in general is a big problem, but it in 2D anime and cartoons makes it really show how flat it can be in comparison.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
I'd make the argument that CGI in general is a big problem, but it in 2D anime and cartoons makes it really show how flat it can be in comparison.
I cant disagree with that, afterall, the most realistic CGI that I've ever seen were the dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park, about everything else has a weird shapeless look to it

• Feels
Reactions: Jewelsmakerguy

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, they should've known better about the flashing. They didn't always preview the episodes before they shipped the copies off to the station(s), so a lot of flashing colors (not always red-blue, though, and they didn't exactly take up the entire screen) were in a lot of kids' shows back then. Some OVAs/movies were like that as well (although Landlock is such a fucking obscure OVA that the adult otaku who watched it might've only had a headache at worst). It's really a wonder that there weren't more reports of a vast number of kids getting seizures from watching Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon.

Darkening certain scenes (usually fight scenes) in post-production I think is stupid, but that's the regulation they put in place for broadcast.
It's sad. Pokemon certainly ruined that fun.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I cant disagree with that, afterall, the most realistic CGI that I've ever seen were the dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park, about everything else has a weird shapeless look to it
I think part of that is due to the fact that they used animatronics for that film. But that's a subject for another thread.

It's sad. Pokemon certainly ruined that fun.
It honestly is, but I get the feeling that if it wasn't Pokemon, it'd have been something else, especially with the rise of digital technologies in animation.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think if it wasn't for the weird lighting, Dragonheart could've been a good contender for excellent '90s CGI because of Draco. In some shots, he looks fine, really, but he's not perfect. But then The Phantom Menace came along and has been considered a revolutionary moment.

CGI has been used in anime since 1983, mind you. It was honestly inevitable, but Japanese animators need to figure out how to embed it better and also get more production time to work out the kinks.

• Informative
Reactions: Dark Emporer Dood

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And that's the problem. I've seen weirder sitcoms.
It's not that Jojo isn't weird. It's that since its creation there's been thousands of manga much weirder than it.

Keep in mind, Jojo was created in '80s (and has never left the '80s if the fashion in the series is anything to go by) and at the time, it certainly lived up it's namesake because literally no other series was as bizarre, or wacky as it was. It was truly one of a kind, and that's what made it stand out.

However, fast forward nearly forty years later, it now has to compete so much other even weirder shit that it practically feels normal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li